Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Worth a spin for a few weeks ?

allegriaallegria Member CommonPosts: 682

Have a bit of a game hole and thought why not check out SWTOR for some story content now that it is free... Did not get me at release ( almost )  but have a game gap and thought i would check in ...

Just want to enjoy the storyline(s), which would you recommend ?

-Allegria

Comments

• AhnogAhnog Member UncommonPosts: 240
    I like the trooper story, but I realize most want to be force users, so a Knight would be best in my opinion.

Ahnog

Hokey religions are no replacement for a good blaster at your side.

• tintilinictintilinic Member Posts: 283
    Its worth playing class story(es) for free, 1 republic and 1 imperial.
  • miguksarammiguksaram Member UncommonPosts: 835

Depending on your personal opinions of/experience with the SW universe the general consensus is the following:

Both the Sith Inquisitor and Jedi Consular have the least amount of overall thought put into them and thus tend to fall flat for most in the end.  That said if you a politics kind of person you mind find these story arcs worth your time.

Conversely the Sith Warrior and Jedi Knight stories fall into the typical story you would expect each to fulfill which for most SW fans is exactly what they are looking for and thus tend to enjoy them.  Galaxy influencing through the use of the force is the best way to describe them.

The lines split a bit here with regards to "mirror" classes.

The Trooper is your typical soldier hero figure you have seen over and over again.  For some this is still worth the ride, for others not so much.

The Bounty Hunter tends to be the one I felt took on which ever role you decided was best and ran with it (dark/light side).  Though that is a personal opinion so I guess the best way to describe it in a more generic matter is if you like the idea of siding with the Empire but don't really want to feel pressured to "side" with them this storyline is pretty good.  The only real downside most people complain about is a less epic (didn't really affect the universe) feeling overall compared to the other classes.

Now for the final two, I saved these for last because most people consider these to be the best for their respective sides.

The Smuggler is easily the funniest/cockiest storyline you could possible choose.  It is otherwise as you would probably expect, very Han Solo inspired.  Should you choose to go Scoundrel you even get to nail people in the balls (or vajayjay) as one of your skills.  Most people tend to enjoy this story the most (minus those who enjoy cliche Jedi's) for the Republic.

And finally we come to the Imperial Agent.  Unless you absolutely loathe British accents and everything James Bond related  this is hands down the most well thought out story currently available, PERIOD.  Don't believe me, no problem, just do a quick search for best class story in SWTOR and the overwhelming majority (again minus the Cliche Jedi/Sith lovers, hell even with them) all say the same thing, IA is THE story to play if you only want to play through it once.

Oh and since time can and usually does equal money simply being free doesn't automatically make the price of admission worth it.  The amount of work that has gone into the individual stories FAR outweighs the majority of other online/offline games you could choose to spend a couple weeks to months on, especially considering the "cost".

• Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749

I liked the agent, but the jedi lines weren't bad either. (consular suited me better than the knight though)

As you said it's free, so definitely worth a few weeks to fill the gap. Towards the level cap the crippled xp becomes annoying, so be ready for some mob grinding between missions...

Edit: I was slow so it became obsolete :) previous post is a great summary, and yep, go for agent if you plan only one session.

• immodiumimmodium Member RarePosts: 2,610
    Totally worth it for a couple of weeks.

• LiieLiie Member Posts: 7

Honestly for me I think its worth it for the story and to give you a good run for your time. It was a great pass time for me when I played. Not something I would stick to for long term though.

• evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270
    The story is free and decent. If you don't care about doing many dungeons / bags to level up its fine.
  • nosam9nosam9 Member Posts: 21

So not very good for the long term? Not a great MMO?

I am wondering how this game is - never tried it. I have read a little of some problems/weaknesses, like bad PvP and being on rails. How would it be to a casual player who likes to group for dungeons and do PvP some times?

Also, I read about the bad F2P limits. How much do you need to pay to make it ok? Do you need to sub or is F2P playable?

• simmihisimmihi Member UncommonPosts: 709
    Originally posted by nosam9

So not very good for the long term? Not a great MMO?

I am wondering how this game is - never tried it. I have read a little of some problems/weaknesses, like bad PvP and being on rails. How would it be to a casual player who likes to group for dungeons and do PvP some times?

Also, I read about the bad F2P limits. How much do you need to pay to make it ok? Do you need to sub or is F2P playable?

To keep it very short, i find the game in a Great shape now, PvE & community-wise. It has a great community (once you get past lvl 20-30), lots of group content, including group quests, and lots of people willing to group for the quests. It has a well-thought rewards system, including bonuses for alts (Legacy system) and different forms of currency coming from weekly and daily quests.

Frankly, for long term play it's a sub game. The F2P limitations are terrible. Paying once to get preffered status makes things better, even though i still find some things unacceptable (currency limit if you're not a subscriber, and there's no way to lift it). I find PvP fun, however i don't play more than 1-2 warzones per day. If you're deep into PvP, it's probably not the game for you.

• nosam9nosam9 Member Posts: 21

Thanks. Great Reply.

Exactly what I wanted to know. Thank you.

• allegriaallegria Member CommonPosts: 682

Level 27 now and losing reasons to login :(

was fun for a bit however... seems the classes i have tried sage / smuggler  to their 20s are just so not interesting to me.. and every class i play feels the same of course with different animations..

I found it cool however that the animations of the SW are different than Jedi knight as if they have different sabre styles... thought that was cool

• ThorkuneThorkune Member UncommonPosts: 1,969

Couple of weeks=definitely

Beyond that=definitely not...it's way too restricted, the world is on rails and the F2P restrictions will drive you nuts.

• AcidonAcidon Member UncommonPosts: 796
    Originally posted by allegria

Have a bit of a game hole and thought why not check out SWTOR for some story content now that it is free... Did not get me at release ( almost )  but have a game gap and thought i would check in ...

-Allegria

I loved the smuggler story.  I will admit I played for a week, got kinda bored, but I do plan on going back and progressing even more.

I say go for it.  At most you spend a couple hours that you can't take back.  At best you enjoy the storyline of whatever class you choose and may even decided to try another storyline.

Go for it!

• allegriaallegria Member CommonPosts: 682
    Originally posted by Thorkune

Beyond that=definitely not...it's way too restricted, the world is on rails and the F2P restrictions will drive you nuts.

Yep that is about how long i lasted... got to mid-late 20s and hit a wall.

• LogicLesterLogicLester Member UncommonPosts: 68

I'd recommend trying an operative and a knight before you call it quits.  Those two class stories are the ones it seems most people name as the best, knight was for me.  Obviously you'll have to trudge through the starter worlds, but at least in the case of knights, it picks up pretty quickly.

And for anyone else reading this thread wondering if it's worth downloading.  Even though I have a pretty strong hate for the game and the decisions of its developers at this point, it's worth playing if you liked the KOTOR games, or like idea of character story in a Star Wars setting.  After all, it's free for all of the story content.

• thexratedthexrated Member UncommonPosts: 1,368
    I think the game is at its best when you level up characters with few good friends.  It is a good multiplayer experience, but not a great MMO experience.

"The person who experiences greatness must have a feeling for the myth he is in."

• simpliussimplius Member UncommonPosts: 1,134

i hit the same wall around lvl 30, but i had a sub

so its not only F2P restrictions

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686
    Originally posted by simplius

Strange, because actually at these levels the game really starts to pick up, Planets start getting huge, and stories become even more immersive...

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• ThorkuneThorkune Member UncommonPosts: 1,969
    Originally posted by Lord.Bachus

Strange, because actually at these levels the game really starts to pick up, Planets start getting huge, and stories become even more immersive...

I hit 50 on my Trooper and 30+ on several other characters...

You will not find one "huge" world in SWTOR. They look big, but they are very restricted. When I first went to Tatooine, I thought "WOW...finally an explorable planet". Then I went out and ran into the restricted markers and got the warning.

• fyodor29fyodor29 Member UncommonPosts: 7
    Play Eve instead. That's proper scifi.
    Originally posted by fyodor29

oh yea,,spreadsheets are so modern

Originally posted by Lord.Bachus

maybe,,but i just couldnt stand the combat system anymore

hacking my way through hordes of mobs for a short cutscene,,no thanx

at least wow gave us a fun time ,while levelling

• DocBrodyDocBrody Member UncommonPosts: 1,926
    Originally posted by fyodor29

oh yea,,spreadsheets are so modern

Hello,

love chlichés much? CCP are visualising more and more of the old spreadsheets in different ways, even more with the Oddysey expansion coming in about a month, don´t know which version you played but if you still make the old joke of Excel in space you don´t have a clue about EvE (which is very likely according to your post).

Cheers

Doc B

• eddieg50eddieg50 Member UncommonPosts: 1,809
      I play both Tor and TSW they are a casual players dream, although Tor is much better for alts. I like the Imperial agents story, the one thing lacking amaizingly is a good space game, TOR does have a space game but it is more of a afterthought. One thing that does hurt TOR is the F2P, unless you sub you will suffer a exp debt and will have to grind which takes away some of the pleasure of the game where as TSW has a great F2P except you have to buy the game which can be found havily discounted
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,001

-Allegria

most definitely.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo