Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Should I buy GW2?

Comments

• AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860
    Originally posted by zastroph
    Originally posted by colddog04

Yeah, it cheapens the experience. Actually, I wish that lower levels were even harder in GW2 for a level 80. Right now I feel like they've skewed it to the too easy side more than anything.

Yes, there are very easy parts to pve, but not all!

It is posts like this that keep being acted on by the game makers. Every time they see 1 post that says it is too easy they make it harder. Go and solo that champion I was refering to, while doing it record it and post it on youtube to prove that it is easy, until then stop saying that the game is too easy, there are parts of it that are "UNPLAYABLE!!!"

My main point was that once you get to lvl 80 there are parts of pve that should be a lot easier so we can go back and complete the map. It took less than 2 weeks to get my guardian from lvl1 to lvl 80, so imo, pve is a very small part of this game for lastability! Being able to go to (and complete) the parts of the map that nobody else wants to go to because it is too hard, would add to the enjoyment of the game!

Once your at lvl 80 (I have 7 and working on number 8) and have no realistic way to get decent gear except grind pve to get enough gold to buy the decent gear, the game IS (depending on how you look at it), UNPLAYABLE or NOT WORTH PLAYING due to boredom!

Have you tried crafting? It is quite fun and it is much cheaper to make exalted gear. . Someone should have clued you in and let you know there are other ways to get gear. ie "GW2 has a crafting system, and you can make great gear that helps you get better gear".

I found the game starts at 80 myself and therefore don't keep making alts as much as I did in other games. Seven level 80s seems silly, and what is odd is you find the game unplayable and not worth playing?

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

• BrownAleBrownAle Member Posts: 399

You should try it before buying.  There are TONS of people who dont want their copy of the game anymore, and many people who will just let you use their login.

I didnt really like it, but then i never bought it, had a bunch of friends that were super into the game for a few weeks and have no interest in the game anymore, so i was able to play it for free.

Someone put it best when they said it was a mmorpg for the facebook crowd.  Almost no progression, boring tab target combat where everyone is basically a DPS...so group work isnt really a must...and the content is just peppered across the world so you can wander about and do stuff.  Storyline is cliche and poorly done.  Not really all that bad untill you realize early on you have all your skills and gear doesnt really matter or change..and your there playing simply for the tab target combat...

It wasnt a bad game, it just got overhyped like ive never seen before.

I certainly wouldnt reccomend buying the game, just ask around, plenty of x-players who have no interest in ever going back.  If you do jump in, make sure your extremely casual and even then dont expect a long term game out of it.

Originally posted by BrownAle

You should try it before buying.  There are TONS of people who dont want their copy of the game anymore, and many people who will just let you use their login.

I didnt really like it, but then i never bought it, had a bunch of friends that were super into the game for a few weeks and have no interest in the game anymore, so i was able to play it for free.

Someone put it best when they said it was a mmorpg for the facebook crowd.  Almost no progression, boring tab target combat where everyone is basically a DPS...so group work isnt really a must...and the content is just peppered across the world so you can wander about and do stuff.  Storyline is cliche and poorly done.  Not really all that bad untill you realize early on you have all your skills and gear doesnt really matter or change..and your there playing simply for the tab target combat...

It wasnt a bad game, it just got overhyped like ive never seen before.

I certainly wouldnt reccomend buying the game, just ask around, plenty of x-players who have no interest in ever going back.  If you do jump in, make sure your extremely casual and even then dont expect a long term game out of it. 

Hmm, I would venture to ask how they figure it is tab target when that is optional, but since you say you have played it you know that already. I rarely if ever even think to tab in this game. Also, group work is highly recommended because the events scale to the amount of players. There is the same progression in this game as any other. I don't understand what people are thinking when they say this. You have to earn XP, Level, attain gear, craft, etc, etc just as you do in WoW or Rift.

Watch and pass this on if you care too. I doubt you will catch many Facebook players in this crowd. This was from about 3 or 4 nights ago in WvWvW. I cut it short to upload to youtube.

You are right, it is not for everyone but there are thousands of people who enjoy it! Currently it is costing be about 9 cents an hour to play. The more I play, the cheaper the hourly cost is. :)

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

• fivorothfivoroth Member UncommonPosts: 3,916
    Originally posted by Sephiroso
    Originally posted by Searias
    Originally posted by BirdzThaWord
    Hello, I came to you guys for help regarding whether or not I should join you all in GW2 or wait for a better game. I guess I'll give you what I look for in a game and see if you guys think this is the game for me or not. I enjoy fast paced mmo's where the gameplay is very interactive. I've played many mmos and I disliked many of them and the most recent being WoW and Tera. The gameplay that I've enjoyed the concept of was Vindictus which had a very interactive gameplay and had a lot of potential but it wasn't really there. And i guess I should mention that I have in fact played GW2 before on a free weekend and beta in which I played Engineer and it was one of the most boring mmo experiences I've ever had. I come to you guys though wondering if it was just the class that was not meant for me because I see thief gameplay which looks pretty interesting, or if I should wait for a game like Black Desert to come out. Thank you.

If you didn't enjoy the game the first time you played it, you are not going to enjoy it now.

this discussion took place like 19 days ago, im pretty sure he's made up his mind by now. it was only thanks to a stupid necro that people are posting again

I don't think digging up a 19-day old thread classifies as necro to be honest :D

@OP, you didn't like it the first time so you will most likely not like it this time around too. Engineer is actually a very fun class to play imo.

Mission in life: Vanquish all MMORPG.com trolls - especially TESO, WOW and GW2 trolls.

• zastrophzastroph Member Posts: 242
    Originally posted by Jean-Luc_Picard

I don't even know how to get started with that guy... he claims that the game is unplayable, or not worth playing due to boredom, yet he has 7 level 80 and working on the 8th. If that doesn't smell like nonsense...

I'm actually amazed that anyone sober can take such a post seriously, and even less post it thinking anyone would take it seriously.

If you had taken the trouble to read ALL of what I am trying to say, you would see that I wrote:

• It takes less than 2 weeks to hit max level, this gives less than 2 months of game play for 7 chars!
    • SOME areas are not soloable, thus NOT PLAYABLE (this is the point I have been trying to make all along)!!!
    • You can NOT alsways find other players to help on these non soloable parts!
    • Crafting is a waste of time, to make the really good stuff requires to much expense for very little return in selling lower level stuff while advancing you crafting level!
    • It is almost impossible to get in to a party to da a dungeon and even harded to find a party that knows what it is doing!
    • PVP of any type is very one sided, you go in die almost straight away and leave. Dieing straight away gives you no way to actually learn how to play pvp correctly!
    • There are some very easy parts to pve which could be made harder, but every time thay try to make this harder they also make the unsoloable parts harder, when they are past the point of being done already (REMEMBER I SAID YOU CAN NOT ALWAYS FIND SOME OTHER PLAYERS TO HELP)!
    • It costs way too much (1800 gems) to jump server in order to find a server with more active players! Just because the server list says it is heavily populated, does not give an indication of how many players are active, so for me to jump to a server is NOT going to hapen!

Read everything before jumping in and verbally attacking people!!!

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440

You said 99% of the game is unplayable.  You don't have to read anything to know that isn't remotely true about GW2 or any other MMO, or any other game period.  Jean Luc is right, I wish I hadn't wasted my time responding to you.

• hellokids8023hellokids8023 Member Posts: 1
    Originally posted by evilprey
    GW2 is best MMO on market at the moment
    are you interested in buying the gw2 gold ? we are suppying large sum and more  cheap gw2 gold , and at the same time , we are buying the tera account too, if you are intested in, plz contact with us ,skype :go3zoom or msn :[email protected] 
  • evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270
    Originally posted by Jean-Luc_Picard

I don't even know how to get started with that guy... he claims that the game is unplayable, or not worth playing due to boredom, yet he has 7 level 80 and working on the 8th. If that doesn't smell like nonsense...

I'm actually amazed that anyone sober can take such a post seriously, and even less post it thinking anyone would take it seriously.

If you had taken the trouble to read ALL of what I am trying to say, you would see that I wrote:

• It takes less than 2 weeks to hit max level, this gives less than 2 months of game play for 7 chars!
    • SOME areas are not soloable, thus NOT PLAYABLE (this is the point I have been trying to make all along)!!!
    • You can NOT alsways find other players to help on these non soloable parts!
    • Crafting is a waste of time, to make the really good stuff requires to much expense for very little return in selling lower level stuff while advancing you crafting level!
    • It is almost impossible to get in to a party to da a dungeon and even harded to find a party that knows what it is doing!
    • PVP of any type is very one sided, you go in die almost straight away and leave. Dieing straight away gives you no way to actually learn how to play pvp correctly!
    • There are some very easy parts to pve which could be made harder, but every time thay try to make this harder they also make the unsoloable parts harder, when they are past the point of being done already (REMEMBER I SAID YOU CAN NOT ALWAYS FIND SOME OTHER PLAYERS TO HELP)!
    • It costs way too much (1800 gems) to jump server in order to find a server with more active players! Just because the server list says it is heavily populated, does not give an indication of how many players are active, so for me to jump to a server is NOT going to hapen!

1) 2 weeks if you have no life and play 8 hours a day. Playing casually it would take someone 1 month - 2 months to reach max level.

2) You can solo everything except for the three dragons and Orr. And these areas are always populated. Everything else scales to a reasonable level to be soloed.

3) As I mentioned, during peak play times Orr and the 3 dragons are always very busy.

4) What game has ever had profitable crafting at low levels? Its always a money sink.

5) No, its not. There are lots of people looking for dungeons in Lions Arch, or you could use the Group Finder App. I would prefer it if they put in a dungeon finder, but it is certainly not difficult to get a group in this game.

6) If you leave straight away of course you will never get good. Thats your problem, not the games. You can practise skills and builds freely against target dummies in the Mists before you jump in. What else do you want them to do for you?

7) Again, only a handful of encounters require you to have a group, and these are usually well populated. Everything else scales down to  be soloable when there arent many players around.

8) Umm for PvE? You know you can guest on any server you want for free? You only need to switch servers for WvW......

So basically your entire post is very misinformed at best, or trolling at worst.

• VorchVorch Member UncommonPosts: 793

GW2 and TSW should be on your harddrive.

GW2 is having a sale atm until the 28th; they seem to have a sale every 2 months.

It's good.

"As you read these words, a release is seven days or less away or has just happened within the last seven days— those are now the only two states you’ll find the world of Tyria."...Guild Wars 2

• LordFruitcakeLordFruitcake Member Posts: 1

Truth about GW2 after Level 80.

Diminishing Return

Arenanet DO NOT like players to Farm, therefore they implement DR. Poor? Buy Gems with Real Cash from Black Lions Trading Company to be converted to Gold. Refuse to do that you'll spend you time speed running certain dungeons repeatedly for better drops than events. Be Warned, only certain classes are needed for the speed runs.

No Grinding Policy

Due to no grinding policy, developer create an alternative. Daily/Monthly that reward 1 token max per day  & 10 tokens max per month. Guild Mission will reward you with another token and that too have max times to run per week. Doing any of these more than once will never reward players with additional tokens for BiS items.

Imbalance Classes

Surprisingly GW2 is the most imbalance mmo ever created. Due to that only certain classes are needed in Dungeons and Paid Tournament Pvp. Structure Pvp are so imbalance its unplayabe for some classes. No Duelling in GW2 is one of the reason for this.

PvE Focused Game

Months and month of Updates, Patches, Gear Stats & Gameplay mainly focus on PvE as a Priority to the Developer. Best In Slots items could be obtained solely via PvE Contents. Refuse to run Dungeons or adapt to PvE Content will reward players with None of those BiS Items and the soon to be BiS Gears.

Conclusion - Buy GW2 if you could live with all those facts above. Surprisingly tons of players had asked for Refund couple of months back. And Arenanet did refund them with conditions.  And thats another Truth.

• zastrophzastroph Member Posts: 242
    Originally posted by LordFruitcake

Diminishing Return

Arenanet DO NOT like players to Farm, therefore they implement DR. Poor? Buy Gems with Real Cash from Black Lions Trading Company to be converted to Gold. Refuse to do that you'll spend you time speed running certain dungeons for better drop than events. Be Warned, only certain classes are needed for the speed runs.

No Grinding Policy

Due to no grinding policy. Developer create an alternative. Daily/Monthy that reward 1 token max per day  & 10 tokens max per month. Guild Mission will reward you with another token and that too have max times to run per week. Doing any of these more than once will never reward players with additional tokens for BiS items.

Imbalance Classes

Surprisingly GW2 is the most imbalance game ever created. Due to that only certain classes are needed in Dungeons and Tournament Pvp. Structure Pvp are so imbalance its unplayabe for some classes. 

PvE Focused Game

Months and month of Updates, Patches, Gear Stats & Gameplay mainly focus on PvE as a Priority to the Developer. Best In Slots items could be obtained solely via PvE Contents. Refuse to run Dungeons or adapt to PvE Content will reward players with None of those BiS Items and the soon to be BiS Gears.

Conclusion - Buy GW2 if you could live with all those facts above. Surprisingly tons of players had asked for Refunds couple of months back. And Arenanet did refund them with conditions.  And thats another Truth.

What I have been saying all along, but hopefully in terms you all understand!

• Sho0terMcgavinSho0terMcgavin Member UncommonPosts: 301

@ OP

Forget GW2.  You can play Neverwinter on April 30th.  Its Free to Play, and is NOT pay to win.  Its combat is a mix between vin and Tera.  The world is more dynamic then Teras.  I would put it like this.  Its a 3rd person mmo with Action combat (like Tera) and you quest in areas (think Diablo 2, Torchlight 2, parts of Diablo 3) with interesting DnD settings and fun questing.  If you don't want to wait till the 30th.  You can buy a hero of the north founder pack ($200) you can start playing 25th April.  If thats too steep, the Guardian pack is another founder pack ($60).  You can start on the 27th.  Along with early access.  You get alot of goodies.  Mounts, companions, a good chunk of in game currency (which can be converted to Zen.  You can buy Cash shop stuff that way). Also, lots of other goodies.

http://nw.perfectworld.com/founderspack

Originally posted by Eir_S
    Originally posted by LordFruitcake

Diminishing Return

Arenanet DO NOT like players to Farm, therefore they implement DR. Poor? Buy Gems with Real Cash from Black Lions Trading Company to be converted to Gold. Refuse to do that you'll spend you time speed running certain dungeons for better drop than events. Be Warned, only certain classes are needed for the speed runs.

No Grinding Policy

Due to no grinding policy. Developer create an alternative. Daily/Monthy that reward 1 token max per day  & 10 tokens max per month. Guild Mission will reward you with another token and that too have max times to run per week. Doing any of these more than once will never reward players with additional tokens for BiS items.

Imbalance Classes

Surprisingly GW2 is the most imbalance game ever created. Due to that only certain classes are needed in Dungeons and Tournament Pvp. Structure Pvp are so imbalance its unplayabe for some classes. 

PvE Focused Game

Conclusion - Buy GW2 if you could live with all those facts above. Surprisingly tons of players had asked for Refunds couple of months back. And Arenanet did refund them with conditions.  And thats another Truth.

What I have been saying all along, but hopefully in terms you all understand!

Yeah, cool.  I'm glad you agree with yourself.

The guy seriously believes everything he reads. Whatever he writes he believes.

Listen zastroph, the game is a huge success. No matter what you believe, the game holds outstanding reviews, thousands of players are having a great time, and believe it or not, it will be around for a long time. Any and all games can be picked apart, but for the money and complete entertainement value, GW2 leads the genre. 

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838

Well I feel like I payed 6 months sub upfront, and didn't last 3 weeks, didn't make it to cap. 

Are you a hardcore skill, stat, pvp meta gamer? If so, I wouldn't recommend. 

Are you a casual couple of hours during the week,  weekend battleground player? If so, sure you may get you $60 worth.

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
    Originally posted by Vorch

GW2 and TSW should be on your harddrive.

GW2 is having a sale atm until the 28th; they seem to have a sale every 2 months.

It's good.

Agree 100%. 

I leave WoW on my HD as a foundation. :) GW2 is a 180 from WoW for me, and TSW is 180 from it as well. All 3 are of the same genre but give totally different content in terms of entertainment. Playing any of them is what I love about mmorpgs.

Originally posted by bcbully

Well I feel like I payed 6 months sub upfront, and didn't last 3 weeks, didn't make it to cap. 

Are you a hardcore skill, stat, pvp meta gamer? If so, I wouldn't recommend. 

Are you a casual couple of hours during the week,  weekend battleground player? If so, sure you may get you $60 worth.

A lot of people feel like you. :) Not a big deal, many folks enjoy it! Anyway, this guy has a good video along the same lines of your comment.  The game also has lots of hardcore activity if you join them just like any other game out there. 

Anyway, I was just trying to push the video and possibly you would become motivated to try and get your $60 worth.  What can I say, I'm a helper! lol

• crabdogcrabdog Member Posts: 30

Just did the free trial weekend.  Played a couple of hours on the first day then played a bit the next day up to level 12. After that I couldn't bear to log in again it was incredibly boring.

If you were new to mmo games I'd say buy it since you don't need to pay subscription but because you said you've played several other mmos in the past I recommend you don't. It brings nothing new to the genre and delivers many old elements on a sub-par level.

• NaMeNaMeNaMeNaMe Member Posts: 88

Well if your a casual gamer who likes a game so mindnumbly easy you can literally play the whole game from 1 to 80 using only 5 skills then go ahead. The game is in no way challangin, WvWvW is a zerging mess, sPvP, is a wasteland with very little people participating and even fewer people watching (the sPVP scene is dead, averages out at like 150 viewers on twitch tv, laughable for an esport).

I bought it with 20 so other players, not a single one plays today. I played it for the month got extremely bored, took a month and a half break (You will be taking lots of breaks from this game as it's a game that will only keep you entertained in small casual doses) came back in November when to check out the new things, got bored again within the first day. Came back in January, saw  the game had turned into Daily Wars 2 where you do your dailys which had now become required. Then just uninstalled it and haven't played since. 

Out of those 20ish people, 15 of them quit in October and 4 made it to Dec and quit and me to January. 

The game is a typical themepark on it's lowest setting, satifying people who play games to simply relax in every meaning of the word, players who play to be challanged will not engjoy GW2.

"if u forcefully insert foriegn objects into my? body, i will die"

Originally posted by NaMeNaMe

Well if your a casual gamer who likes a game so mindnumbly easy you can literally play the whole game from 1 to 80 using only 5 skills then go ahead. The game is in no way challangin, WvWvW is a zerging mess, sPvP, is a wasteland with very little people participating and even fewer people watching (the sPVP scene is dead, averages out at like 150 viewers on twitch tv, laughable for an esport).

I bought it with 20 so other players, not a single one plays today. I played it for the month got extremely bored, took a month and a half break (You will be taking lots of breaks from this game as it's a game that will only keep you entertained in small casual doses) came back in November when to check out the new things, got bored again within the first day. Came back in January, saw  the game had turned into Daily Wars 2 where you do your dailys which had now become required. Then just uninstalled it and haven't played since. 

Out of those 20ish people, 15 of them quit in October and 4 made it to Dec and quit and me to January. 

The game is a typical themepark on it's lowest setting, satifying people who play games to simply relax in every meaning of the word, players who play to be challanged will not engjoy GW2.

Was this one of any of your friends? VIDEO This is from several nights ago when I was playing WvWvW. You make your comment sound as if no one is playing, and/or should not like it. There are literally thousands of people playing this game and enjoying it for what it is. It is different and that is why I believe folks are turned away. Those that can adapt to change enjoy new things like this imho. /shrug 

The game has many many challenges, some are extremely hard to achieve. ie legendary and dungeon gear sets. Some folks don't even take the time to get exalted gear which in itself is a lower goal but fairly necessary in WvWvW if you want to stay alive. Dungeons are harder than any I have encountered in any AAA game. 

• botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363

People on this board like to complain for the sake of complaining. Some people call it complaining, I call it whining.

It is a good game, does it have faults - YES it does. Every game does have it's issues, I happen to like the game. And compared to games that I have recently, beta tested - Neverwinter, it is hands above that piece of tripe. GW2 was designed a speciic way and people on this particular board find it either: 1. too easy. 2. too hard. 3. not enough hand holding. 4. Too much hand holding. 5. no Tirinity. 6. not enough variation from the trinity. 7. Too much like WoW. 8. Not enough like WoW. I could go on with all the complaints I have seen. and usually the same person condricts himself just to be negative. Take people who are negative about the game with a huge grain of salt, especially on this board.

GW2, is a game you get out, what you put in. Plain and simple. It is worth the money. They also keep on putting out patches and new content also.

Originally posted by Amjoco

Was this one of any of your friends? VIDEO This is from several nights ago when I was playing WvWvW. You make your comment sound as if no one is playing, and/or should not like it. There are literally thousands of people playing this game and enjoying it for what it is. It is different and that is why I believe folks are turned away. Those that can adapt to change enjoy new things like this imho. /shrug 

The game has many many challenges, some are extremely hard to achieve. ie legendary and dungeon gear sets. Some folks don't even take the time to get exalted gear which in itself is a lower goal but fairly necessary in WvWvW if you want to stay alive. Dungeons are harder than any I have encountered in any AAA game. 

It's not different and that's one of the big problems. It's more of the same but it falls short in many ways. If you have little or no previous experience with this kind of game it would probably be a blast but for those of us who have played the other games it's very easy to see the lack of anything new here and thus we have no motivation to grind through it. Leveling up doesn't even feel like an achievement, it just passes with you hardly even noticing.

Originally posted by botrytis

People on this board like to complain for the sake of complaining. Some people call it complaining, I call it whining.

It is a good game, does it have faults - YES it does. Every game does have it's issues, I happen to like the game. And compared to games that I have recently, beta tested - Neverwinter, it is hands above that piece of tripe. GW2 was designed a speciic way and people on this particular board find it either: 1. too easy. 2. too hard. 3. not enough hand holding. 4. Too much hand holding. 5. no Tirinity. 6. not enough variation from the trinity. 7. Too much like WoW. 8. Not enough like WoW. I could go on with all the complaints I have seen. and usually the same person condricts himself just to be negative. Take people who are negative about the game with a huge grain of salt, especially on this board.

GW2, is a game you get out, what you put in. Plain and simple. It is worth the money. They also keep on putting out patches and new content also.

Does anyone else see the irony here?

• Soki123Soki123 Member RarePosts: 2,558
    Originally posted by crabdog

It's not different and that's one of the big problems. It's more of the same but it falls short in many ways. If you have little or no previous experience with this kind of game it would probably be a blast but for those of us who have played the other games it's very easy to see the lack of anything new here and thus we have no motivation to grind through it. Leveling up doesn't even feel like an achievement, it just passes with you hardly even noticing.

Can t argue with this. Especially the leveling, it doesn t feel like an achievement at all.

• Soki123Soki123 Member RarePosts: 2,558
    Originally posted by botrytis

Does anyone else see the irony here?

Yep, I ve learned to just ignore what botrytis says.

Originally posted by Soki123

Can t argue with this. Especially the leveling, it doesn t feel like an achievement at all.

Don't play it to level then. Adventure and explore, if you level on the way it is a bonus. Folks are so caught up with the leveling portion of any games they forget what rpg is.