Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is Hero of the North Founders Pack worthwhile?

eckardteckardt Member UncommonPosts: 48
Is it worth to buy the hero of the North Founders Pack?

Comments

• Allacore69Allacore69 Member Posts: 839

Yes it is.

• AderewAderew Member UncommonPosts: 46
    Originally posted by eckardt

The Hero of the North package is basically a "collector's edition" of the game. You will receive a few unique items, early access to open beta and the drow class, and some boosts to help you out. 

If it's really worth it or not it depends on you. Are you the casual player who will propably start searching for another mmo after 2-3 months? Then no.

Do you plan to stick with this game for a long time and help the devs improve it? Then go for it.

If you can't afford the 200$ there is always the 60$ guardian pack option which also contains some good stuff. If you still have your doubts then keep your money until the game relases and if you find it interesting you can spend them on Zen.

• Sho0terMcgavinSho0terMcgavin Member UncommonPosts: 301
    Originally posted by eckardt

Honestly, only you can answer that.  If you really enjoy the game and plan on spending alot of time in it.  Then, I'd say yes.  Otherwise, only you can only really judge the value of the package.   

• JyiigaJyiiga Member UncommonPosts: 1,187

Only you can decide that. 

It has some interesting perks, but you by no means "need" it to play the game. Unlike previous Cryptic lifetime/founders packs, it offers no monthly bonuses. 

• furbansfurbans Member UncommonPosts: 968

Do you need a lot of fluff or care for it?

You get a spider mount, a tatoo drow race, a pnather companion, and various P2W type of items that won't have longevity and while you do get a shit ton of AD that barely covers a unique mount or most of those AD will be used up on mount training (actually don't know itf they cover the lvl 40 and lvl 60 mount training).  3 extra char slots are nice/

Most people got it founder's pack for beta access and people will tell you different things.  If you like me and the type that will grind and don't need any fluff items then no I don't think its worth the price tag and say that if anything its more of a rip off since you'll likely get the items that really matter (char slots) and can care less bout a special mount or a panther companion, or loates the Drizzit wannabe race.

In short if you can care less bout fluff items then the pack is a rip off and you can get way more milage to you money if you buy Zen and buy AD through that.  The Founder's Packs are for the impulsive buyers.

• neorandomneorandom Member Posts: 1,681

i wanted the dark drow tatoo race, the armored spiders and panthers for all my characters, the starting weapons, the level 60 weapons, the 3 character slots didnt hurt, the rest was vip fluff thats nice too i suppose.  

remember, when they say 700$ value, they fully intend to piecemeal that package out for 700 bucks after release.

• PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048
    Honestly for me its no where near worth it. Don't get me wrong, I do enjoy the game a lot, but its just so much fluff and junk that doesn't really matter much at all to me. Maybe for ~60 or perhaps ~100 (though iffy on that even) but yeah... just no where near worth it.
  • WickedjellyWickedjelly Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 4,990

Purely up to the individual on this one. All depends on whether the items you get interest you personally.

I find the game enjoyable and plan on playing once OB begins. Having said that I don't think it is worth it. Otehrs take on the matter will vary.

This is one of those things that doesn't really have a right or wrong answer. Unless you think it is worth it and end up bouncing or missing a payment to something with RL consequences XD

1. For god's sake mmo gamers, enough with the analogies. They're unnecessary and your comparisons are terrible, dissimilar, and illogical.

2. To posters feeling the need to state how f2p really isn't f2p: Players understand the concept. You aren't privy to some secret the rest are missing. You're embarrassing yourself.

3. Yes, Cpt. Obvious, we're not industry experts. Now run along and let the big people use the forums for their purpose.

• DaemonweaverDaemonweaver Member UncommonPosts: 124

If you are seriously into Drow then yes.

If not then get the Guardian pack, much better value for money.

Personally I bought both but then I love Drow and really wanted to support the Devs in a game I am really enjoying. Will I regret it later, who knows time will tell, I certainly hope not :)

• kaeljaerenkaeljaeren Member UncommonPosts: 20

I'm not going to buy it. In every MMORPG I have ever played the same thing has always happened. I get the game, create my char, and I level to max level, and I usually enjoy that a lot and find it immensly rewarding. Then I'm at max level and I'm supposed to continue playing my charatcher and for some reason I deem it meaningless and I stop, because grinding for gear to be able to grind for gear faster just seems unecessary. So, I won't bang out 200$ before I know that I will stick around. 

My hope is that the foundry is going to be the reason to stay around after the leveling is done. I played WarCraft 3 for several years because they could make maps with fun objectives, like Dota, Enfo Team Survival, Life of a peasant and all that fun stuff, so hopefully the foundry will develop in to something that can keep me entertained at max level. If I'm enjoying myself then, I will support the developer by buying things I find helpful. 

Originally posted by Daemonweaver

If you are seriously into Drow then yes.

If not then get the Guardian pack, much better value for money.

Personally I bought both but then I love Drow and really wanted to support the Devs in a game I am really enjoying. Will I regret it later, who knows time will tell, I certainly hope not :)

If you are really enjoying it, thats all that matters.  Don't regret that you helped a dev team you support.  At the end of the day that one goes the farthest IMO.  I went with the $60 founder pack myself.  The reason is, I'm not sure if I'm going to be playing Neverwinter in the long run.  I'm anxiously awaiting Wildstar and second on my list is ESO.   

The players who really love the game, and plan on making it there main MMO.  I would recommend it.  Like Daemonweaver said, "If you are seriously into Drow".  The Drow and the Queue priority (also, maybe the spider) to me are the biggest advanatages of the Hero of the North pack.  That's at least 2 reasons.  I'm sure you can try to convince yourself haha  :-) .

People who are using Neverwinter as a filler MMO.  Eventually, your MMO of chice will release and you'll most likely be gone.  For these players, go with Guardian pack.  If you buy $60 dollars worth of Zen, you will be lucky if you can buy a purple (top tier) companion and purple mount at the same time.  You get both in the Gaurdian pack.  You also get alot more fluff and some really useful items.  For example a chest that every few levels opens.  The conents of the chest are things you will use frequently while questing.  When the box opens, a new locked box appears in your inventory.  This new blue box comes with a new higher level.  Progressing to that level is the only thing required to open the adventure box..  This goes on to level cap I believe.  You will get one of these chests, mounts and other fluff (title etc) for every toon.  Also, almost forgot.  You get an extra character slot as well ($5 right there).  

Last thing.  Someone on the Neverwinter forums added everything up with the current cash shop prices, Zen to AD trade etc.  It came out to about $96 dollars worth of things.  With a few of the items not added to that value, because the items are subjective.  There are players who love the extra items in the founder packs.  The other type of player doesn't care.

Originally posted by kaeljaeren

I'm not going to buy it. In every MMORPG I have ever played the same thing has always happened. I get the game, create my char, and I level to max level, and I usually enjoy that a lot and find it immensly rewarding. Then I'm at max level and I'm supposed to continue playing my charatcher and for some reason I deem it meaningless and I stop, because grinding for gear to be able to grind for gear faster just seems unecessary. So, I won't bang out 200$ before I know that I will stick around. 

My hope is that the foundry is going to be the reason to stay around after the leveling is done. I played WarCraft 3 for several years because they could make maps with fun objectives, like Dota, Enfo Team Survival, Life of a peasant and all that fun stuff, so hopefully the foundry will develop in to something that can keep me entertained at max level. If I'm enjoying myself then, I will support the developer by buying things I find helpful. 

I love Warcraft 3 custom maps!  Lets not forget custom Starcraft 2 games!  In both games, I spent about 85% of my game time in custom games.  I used to always wish there was something like those custom games in an MMO.  Enter the foundry :-) .

The foundry is really intriguing.  An MMO with both developer and player content made available to anyone that plays for free.  I can not wait to see what people publish.  Alot of the foundry quests have already been made by a large group of beta "Silverstars/Foundry Beta testers".  Cryptic has stated that all the maps created during beta will be there at launch on the 30th of April.  Player generated content will keep the player base busy and happy in between developer content patches.  Because of the foundry, Neverwinter has a good chance of becoming successful.

If you are not a founder, you just have to get one character to level 15 (3-4 hours maybe?).  Cryptic has stated that they plan on adding the ability to created actual 5 man dungeons with dungeon quality rewards.  PVP foundry maps are also planned on being inputted in the foundry sometime after launch.  

Link to Neverwinter Founder FAQ  -   http://nw-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?13401-Foundry-Videos-and-some-FAQ-s

Link to Neverwinter foundry page  -  http://nw.perfectworld.com/about/foundry

Last thing.  I played quite a few foundry quests in the beta.  I was really impressed with some of the quests.  Most were on par or better then the in game quests.  I can't even imagine how much content will be available shortly after launch when people get there hands on the foundry.  Should make the game have too much to do lol.

• MoodsorMoodsor Member UncommonPosts: 712

I wasn't initially gonna spend money on this game prior to launch, but after being a part of both Alpha and Beta I found myself enjoying the game so much I decided to get the Hero of the North package.

Whether ill regret it, time will tell, I had the money available, and MMO's are the main entertainment i spend money on.

• ZedTheRockZedTheRock Member UncommonPosts: 176

Only you can answer that.

For me the answer was yes, not only do I get to support the dev team I also get to play a kick ass race, have an awesome companion and a baller mount.  On top of the 2mill Astral Diamonds I can use to trade for Zen to buy bag slots or get access to additional character slots.  Very worthwhile for me.

SUP