Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

GTA MMO? - Rockstar want to combine all cities into one world

DeaconXDeaconX Member UncommonPosts: 3,062

Source: http://www.vg247.com/2012/12/14/rockstar-games-wants-to-combine-gta-cities-into-one-world/

Sorry if this isn't exactly new to some of you.

A GTA MMO would be interesting and I'm sure there's a large market for it, especially if it's done MUCH better than the free to play APB.

Would you guys consider playing a GTA based MMORPG?

Why do I write, create, fantasize, dream and daydream about other worlds? Because I hate what humanity does with this one.

BOYCOTTING EA / ORIGIN going forward.

Comments

• ozmonoozmono Member UncommonPosts: 1,211
    Originally posted by DeaconX

Source: http://www.vg247.com/2012/12/14/rockstar-games-wants-to-combine-gta-cities-into-one-world/

Sorry if this isn't exactly new to some of you.

A GTA MMO would be interesting and I'm sure there's a large market for it, especially if it's done MUCH better than the free to play APB.

Would you guys consider playing a GTA based MMORPG?

Depends.

If there was more to it than running around killing people I might.

I'd be more interested in a Godfather MMO come to think of it. Territory control, running illegal businesses and so on.

• ShauneepeakShauneepeak Member UncommonPosts: 424

would but this would be extremely extremely dificult to impliment well just with the way GTA is we would all end up simply killing eachother lmao. Now would I enjoy simply a GTA game combining all the GTA cities with a free roam multiplayer like Red Dead yes.

Even look at the Red Dead free roam most of the time there are a few people running around on their own or with a couple friends then one massive group in either Armadillo or Blackwater simply spawn killing eachother.

• jalexbrownjalexbrown Member UncommonPosts: 253
    Originally posted by ozmono

I'd be more interested in a Godfather MMO come to think of it. Territory control, running illegal businesses and so on.

I actually think this is a crazy cool idea, but then again I'm a huge Godfather fanboy so you've got to consider that.

• rodingorodingo Member RarePosts: 2,870
    I would rather have a Red Dead mmo, but that probably won't happen until they make a successful GTA mmo first.

"If I offended you, you needed it" -Corey Taylor

• DeaconXDeaconX Member UncommonPosts: 3,062

With how absolutely CHAOTIC GTA games can be, I think this would be a crazy challenge for Rockstar to try and pull off.

I could see them instancing a lot of the crazier portions of the game where you have to blow up stuff and that would just be terrible - people would cry murder if 90% of the game wasn't open world... but if everything WAS open world, you might as well call the game 'SIX STARS CITY' because the military NPC's would be working around the clock to wipe out the playerbase ;)

Why do I write, create, fantasize, dream and daydream about other worlds? Because I hate what humanity does with this one.

BOYCOTTING EA / ORIGIN going forward.

• fernetekfernetek Member Posts: 61
    Originally posted by DeaconX

With how absolutely CHAOTIC GTA games can be, I think this would be a crazy challenge for Rockstar to try and pull off.

I could see them instancing a lot of the crazier portions of the game where you have to blow up stuff and that would just be terrible - people would cry murder if 90% of the game wasn't open world... but if everything WAS open world, you might as well call the game 'SIX STARS CITY' because the military NPC's would be working around the clock to wipe out the playerbase ;)

That could be an interesting mechanic, with guilds competing with eachother to see who can protect their players from the endless onslaught of NPC's the best :)

On the whole it's an interesting idea. But so is an Elder Scrolls MMO (and that's definitely lost some of it's shine as time's gone on). It'll depend a -lot- on how they port the single played mechanics to the MMO-space.

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    No. I doubt like GTA's setting. That is why i don't play GTA games .. i doubt i would change my mind if it is a MMO.
  • AxehiltAxehilt Member RarePosts: 10,504

Definitely like the idea of a Godfather/gangster MMORPG before GTA.

I might try a GTA MMORPG depending on how it was implemented.  Full-loot open world PVP (aka Casual PVP) would be an automatic no-go.  However if it was actually closer to the gangster/godfather vibe I might give it a try.

"What is truly revealing is his implication that believing something to be true is the same as it being true. [continue]" -John Oliver

• MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387
    This would never worl. due to the nature of GTA's main interest is its chaos. So havung 100+ people in the same world who also want to experience the joy of chaos, this would lead to a major disaster for an outcome.

Philosophy of MMO Game Design

• muffins89muffins89 Member UncommonPosts: 1,585
    i play APB about once a month.  i don;t see a GTA MMO grabbing anymore of my attention than that.  would it be fun to drive around running over other players and/shooting them?  sure.  but it wouldn't have any long term appeal.  at least not for me.
  • WickedjellyWickedjelly Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 4,990
    Originally posted by MMOExposed
    This would never worl. due to the nature of GTA's main interest is its chaos. So havung 100+ people in the same world who also want to experience the joy of chaos, this would lead to a major disaster for an outcome.

Have to agree. Sounds great in theory even though I personally would have no interest.

Still, those that I know that do enjoy those games mainly like it for the chaos and anarchistic nature in essentially fucking everything up. Some of them never even bother with the actual story line of the game. They just log in and go haywire.

1. For god's sake mmo gamers, enough with the analogies. They're unnecessary and your comparisons are terrible, dissimilar, and illogical.

2. To posters feeling the need to state how f2p really isn't f2p: Players understand the concept. You aren't privy to some secret the rest are missing. You're embarrassing yourself.

3. Yes, Cpt. Obvious, we're not industry experts. Now run along and let the big people use the forums for their purpose.

• wesjrwesjr Member UncommonPosts: 506
    Pretty sure APB already tried this.
  • wordizwordiz Member Posts: 464

Rockstar lives up to their name. Not only do I think they could pull it off, but it would be better than we can imagine. They wouldn't have to make a "GTA Online" even. They could call it GTA6, and just make the game massive and multiplayer. They're good enough to make a game that carries the series and assimilates another genre into it at the same time. Easily one of the best, if not the best developer out there. They've broken ground repeatedly in gaming, and San Andreas is one of the best sandboxy games of all time. 

From what it sounds like, GTA5's multiplayer game is going to be pretty MMOish as it is.

The next rational step in their series is a game that is even larger, that connects all the cities. You take a map like that and add multiplayer capability you have: a massive world that is multiplayer.

(Yeah, I'm jockin hard, but the respect is due.)

• MaelzraelMaelzrael Member UncommonPosts: 405

I would love it if they did it right. There would need to be factions and no FFA PVP like APB though. Getting killed when you log into the game by someone who is your game cuz they think its funny is incredibly lame.

Perhaps, Mobsters, Gangbangers, Police, Military could all be player controled?

Seems like it'd be hard to pull of a GTA mmo that didnt suck like ABP.... But man, i'd play it if they did.

• Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749

I love the GTA series (especially VC) so "reimagining Vice City would be very interesting" would make me a happy gamer, just like the combining of all areas  :)

But there not a word in that article about any mmo stuff, and in the light of APB (and TESO on the side) I don't mind it at all. For me the GTA's are all about story, open world and total freedom to try every way and solution, the collectibles, races, jumps, achievments, radio with ads (I listen those in my car all the time :) irl I mean, the "extracted" soundfiles of every GTA are in my radio), - and since rampages are needed for 100%, rampages too. But I never liked them. And among the online mods I like only the races.

I think with the online part exists, there's no need of the game's mmo-fication at all.

As for Apb, the concept was good, I liked it before it flopped. Then the Reloaded version... well I tried it for a bit, but it's too infected with hackers for my taste.