Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Make me want to play this game.

AtretiesAtreties Member CommonPosts: 6

Sell it to me, because the developers sure won't. 

I shouldn't have to search for hours to find out what this game has to offer and why I should consider it. It should be right in my face, easily accessable. The marketing for this game is laughable at best.

But I digress. I want to like this game, and I love sandboxy games in general. I loved Ultima, and I loved EVE. Themeparks with instant gratification can be fun if done correctly, and so can sandboxes where you take hours gathering resources and skills... IF DONE CORRECTLY.

So tell me, why is this game good? What does it offer that others don't? Why play this game? 

Comments

• Deerhunter71Deerhunter71 Member Posts: 527

First off it is not sandbox to be honest.  It will not take a lot of research - just headon over to their forums and view how many tech support issues there are.  Also read the public discussion and player discussion and you will easily get the rough idea.  Heck on this forum alone 42% have voted they will not re-up their subscription.  That is just not a good sign for a game that is only half finished.

You are missing dungeons, each class only 50% done, no trading market or even chat.  The list goes on and on.  Off to the baseball game but the info is out there.

• AtretiesAtreties Member CommonPosts: 6
    Originally posted by Deerhunter71

First off it is not sandbox to be honest.  It will not take a lot of research - just headon over to their forums and view how many tech support issues there are.  Also read the public discussion and player discussion and you will easily get the rough idea.  Heck on this forum alone 42% have voted they will not re-up their subscription.  That is just not a good sign for a game that is only half finished.

You are missing dungeons, each class only 50% done, no trading market or even chat.  The list goes on and on.  Off to the baseball game but the info is out there.

Negatives are easy enough to find. Looking for positives, looking for reasons TO PLAY rather than reasons NOT TO PLAY. Seen enough of those.

• LarisliaLarislia Member Posts: 20

How do you hate this game so much that all you've done for the last 2 weeks straight is to post hateful and innacurate info about DF:UW?

@OP Give it a try rather than looking for hateful trolls like the guy above me.. i was new to this game aswell first 4 hours in the game was rough but now im having a blast.. this game can't be compared to any other mmo on the market..Nothing beats the adrenaline rush of the risk of loosing your gear with the full loot system, i love the fact that the game is not tab target either and the prowess progression is really well done.

• Nekky_FateNekky_Fate Member UncommonPosts: 162
    These types of posts are so stupid. Do some reseach and make your own decision if you want to play. There are more than enough posts and videos to learn all about DF. No one should make you want to play something, all you are going to get for replies are people that either like it or hate it.
  • BadaboomBadaboom Member UncommonPosts: 2,380

Why do you want to play an MMO?  If you can answer that for me, I can determine if you should  play UW or not.

PS:  Or make your own decision and watch youtube videos.

• AtretiesAtreties Member CommonPosts: 6

Originally posted by Nekky_Fate
    These types of posts are so stupid. Do some reseach and make your own decision if you want to play. There are more than enough posts and videos to learn all about DF. No one should make you want to play something, all you are going to get for replies are people that either like it or hate it.

Completely incorrect. Read my original post. 

The developers of a game should actually try to sell it. They should make the features obvious and readily availible. If you can't understand the need for marketing, I can't help you.

Launch trailers like this crap:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vEIt7kSR5aE&list=UUeXzGHiwbo1U_7CLdHrAjKw&index=1

Lead these kinds of posts to NOT being stupid. If the game itself won't actually showcase the features, it's up to the community of the game to do that for it.

Originally posted by Badaboom

Why do you want to play an MMO?  If you can answer that for me, I can determine if you should  play UW or not.

I have played dozens of MMOs over the years, from Ultima to GW2. I have played enough well made themeparks that keep my interest for a few weeks or months, but am looking for a more open world, skill based (rather than level 1-80 or the like) MMO that is more of a sandbox than things like GW2.

I enjoy full loot PvP and I don't mind a grind or resource gathering. I enjoy large scale PvP and helping to impact the world in a permanent way. I mean, I'm on a site like MMORPG, I know MMOs, and I've played several. Just wanna know what UW actually offers.

I like the few things I've heard about Darkfall a few years back, but find it annoying that I have to dig for hours to find info on UW. 

• MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196
    From what you are asking for in a mmo seems like Darkfall may be the game for you. Only other game I can think of is Mortal Online.
  • AzdulAzdul Member UncommonPosts: 440
    Originally posted by Atreties

I shouldn't have to search for hours to find out what this game has to offer and why I should consider it. It should be right in my face, easily accessable. The marketing for this game is laughable at best.

Developers today (Sunday) released two patches - mainly for the performance issues.

So they are quite busy, and probably won't need 10x more players right now, because they don't have server capacity.

Also - some promised important features are still missing (player markets, dungeons, half of player specializations) - so it doesn't make sense to market the game to the wide audience just yet.

• GreymoorGreymoor Member UncommonPosts: 802
    Originally posted by Azdul

Developers today (Sunday) released two patches - mainly for the performance issues.

So they are quite busy, and probably won't need 10x more players right now, because they don't have server capacity.

Also - some promised important features are still missing (player markets, dungeons, half of player specializations) - so it doesn't make sense to market the game to the wide audience just yet.

This really :) They're not so interested in marketing the game until the launch performance issues are fixed and they can get a little more content in.

If you're looking for open world freedom, no character levels, FPS combat, full loot, player housing, sieges and politics combined with a crafting system which runs the in-game economy. Then DFUW is for you.

• PsyMike3dPsyMike3d Member UncommonPosts: 388

But I digress. I want to like this game, and I love sandboxy games in general. I loved Ultima, and I loved EVE. Themeparks with instant gratification can be fun if done correctly, and so can sandboxes where you take hours gathering resources and skills... IF DONE CORRECTLY.

So tell me, why is this game good? What does it offer that others don't? Why play this game? 

I play the game a lot, sometimes i love it and sometimes i really get mad and hate it, because of the bad developers. If they don't fix the loadlag problem i wont resub again and i'll go back to EVE... i give them 1 month

• DAS1337DAS1337 Member UncommonPosts: 2,610

I know it's difficult to understand.. but they have a website on the internet and it is literally just a few clicks away.

It's not my job to sell you on a game.  It's your job to decide for yourself by doing the research necisarry.  

When did people become so damn lazy?

• Zeref.DyverZeref.Dyver Member Posts: 270

No.

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769

How much are you going to pay us to act the role of salesman?

http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• JupstoJupsto Member UncommonPosts: 2,075

up to 10,000 players in one huge zone/map, combat that requires aim/skill, boat combat, mounted combat, full loot, all items are crafted.

not really any siege videos of UW yet.

My blog: image

• BadaboomBadaboom Member UncommonPosts: 2,380

The developers of a game should actually try to sell it. They should make the features obvious and readily availible. If you can't understand the need for marketing, I can't help you.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vEIt7kSR5aE&list=UUeXzGHiwbo1U_7CLdHrAjKw&index=1

Lead these kinds of posts to NOT being stupid. If the game itself won't actually showcase the features, it's up to the community of the game to do that for it.

I have played dozens of MMOs over the years, from Ultima to GW2. I have played enough well made themeparks that keep my interest for a few weeks or months, but am looking for a more open world, skill based (rather than level 1-80 or the like) MMO that is more of a sandbox than things like GW2.

I enjoy full loot PvP and I don't mind a grind or resource gathering. I enjoy large scale PvP and helping to impact the world in a permanent way. I mean, I'm on a site like MMORPG, I know MMOs, and I've played several. Just wanna know what UW actually offers.

I like the few things I've heard about Darkfall a few years back, but find it annoying that I have to dig for hours to find info on UW. 

Well, it sounds like Darkfall is a perfect fit.  I'm not going to sell you on Darkfall, but I will tell you about what just happened during my most recent play session.  

Our clan is bound at a chaos stone but don't want to divulge to much information as you will soon understand.  Anyone can bind at this stone.  I haven't been able to play much, so my prowess (experience points for the layman) points are really low.  I was looking in my bank and an enemy attacked and just destroyed me.  He already has a much more developed character than mine (10x).  He didn't take any of my crappy gear though.  Not a good feeling, nor a good start to my play session.  Anyways, I grab my stuff and a fishing pole and figured I'd kill some time and get some prowess and some fish for some food.

About 15 mins later, my bag is getting full, and I see that I got a small treasure map.  So I make my way back to the bank and carefully scout it out to make sure no one is around.  The coast is clear so I grab my mount and a shovel ready to go out on a treasure hunt.  Your minimap flashes green  as you get closer to the location.  Once it's solid, its time to start digging.  Well, my one and only mount start heading south to the mainland.  If I encounter any enemies, or run into a mob spawn, my mount will die because it is only one hit away.  If it dies, I will be easy picking for enemy players.  I'm carefully skirting mob spawns with a few close calls on ranged attacks but slowly make my ways further south.  

What seems like half an hour later I see three riders heading straight for me.  I turn around and skirt a hilly mountainside and doubleback and see them approach.  I despawn my mount and crouch, and watch them.  The two players kept going in the direction they last saw me but the other person crested the hill and almost spotted me.  They kept heading north though and I jumped off the cliff and started heading south back towards my waiting treasure.  

Further south I see a lone fisherman, nearby a clan city.  I contemplate killing him but my oblivious prey was so close to his city, I did not want to alert others to my presence and crept by him.

My minimap starts flashing more wildly now.  I'm getting close.  Crap, another clan city is up ahead.  The Minimap is urging me to go closer to the city though.  I hear people casting stuff, maybe they were dueling, and Im right outside their gates but they don't see me.  My minimap is solid green now, I start digging...success!  I look in my bag.  3000 gold, 7 rare neithel leather and 2 more rare leather of which I cannot remember.  I start running away from the city with imaginary persurers hot on my heels.  I'm in vent asking if our chaos bank is clear.  No, it is hot.  Enemies are in control of the bank.  Damnit.  I log out within spitting distance of the clan city and am here now typing to you.

Will I be able to get to the bank and deposit my new found treasure?  THAT is Darkfall and why I enjoy playing.

Edit:  I teleported to the bank.  Crap, three LOD (enemy guild) at the bank.  I rush to the bank, and start depositing my treasure while they start mercilessly beating on me.  They kill me...but I successfully deposited all my items of worth.

• xzyaxxzyax Member Posts: 2,459
    Originally posted by PsyMike3d

I play the game a lot, sometimes i love it and sometimes i really get mad and hate it, because of the bad developers. If they don't fix the loadlag problem i wont resub again and i'll go back to EVE... i give them 1 month

I think you said it perfectly PsyMike3d.

If a person is honest and cuts through the fanboy and hater posts this is how a good number, I think even the majority; of current players really think.

With a bit of due diligence in talking to players who are currently playing... the OP would probably reach the same conclusion.

Depending on your finances if someone has the time and money I think they should try the game out.  If either money or time is at a premium... I think you'd be best served in waiting a month or so.  I am sure that PsyMike3d and I will get flamed and labeled as haters, so take this advice with a grain of salt.  image

• injenuinjenu Member CommonPosts: 142
    The most valuable lesson learned from this post is to never ask advice from a forum like mmorpg. 
  • c0existc0exist Member UncommonPosts: 196
    Originally posted by injenu
    The most valuable lesson learned from this post is to never ask advice from a forum like mmorpg. 

Geez I know the guy just asked a simple question, I would answer it for you but have not yet had time to play the game but will next weekend.

• wrekognizewrekognize Member UncommonPosts: 388

Well, it sounds like Darkfall is a perfect fit.  I'm not going to sell you on Darkfall, but I will tell you about what just happened during my most recent play session.  

Our clan is bound at a chaos stone but don't want to divulge to much information as you will soon understand.  Anyone can bind at this stone.  I haven't been able to play much, so my prowess (experience points for the layman) points are really low.  I was looking in my bank and an enemy attacked and just destroyed me.  He already has a much more developed character than mine (10x).  He didn't take any of my crappy gear though.  Not a good feeling, nor a good start to my play session.  Anyways, I grab my stuff and a fishing pole and figured I'd kill some time and get some prowess and some fish for some food.

About 15 mins later, my bag is getting full, and I see that I got a small treasure map.  So I make my way back to the bank and carefully scout it out to make sure no one is around.  The coast is clear so I grab my mount and a shovel ready to go out on a treasure hunt.  Your minimap flashes green  as you get closer to the location.  Once it's solid, its time to start digging.  Well, my one and only mount start heading south to the mainland.  If I encounter any enemies, or run into a mob spawn, my mount will die because it is only one hit away.  If it dies, I will be easy picking for enemy players.  I'm carefully skirting mob spawns with a few close calls on ranged attacks but slowly make my ways further south.  

What seems like half an hour later I see three riders heading straight for me.  I turn around and skirt a hilly mountainside and doubleback and see them approach.  I despawn my mount and crouch, and watch them.  The two players kept going in the direction they last saw me but the other person crested the hill and almost spotted me.  They kept heading north though and I jumped off the cliff and started heading south back towards my waiting treasure.  

Further south I see a lone fisherman, nearby a clan city.  I contemplate killing him but my oblivious prey was so close to his city, I did not want to alert others to my presence and crept by him.

My minimap starts flashing more wildly now.  I'm getting close.  Crap, another clan city is up ahead.  The Minimap is urging me to go closer to the city though.  I hear people casting stuff, maybe they were dueling, and Im right outside their gates but they don't see me.  My minimap is solid green now, I start digging...success!  I look in my bag.  3000 gold, 7 rare neithel leather and 2 more rare leather of which I cannot remember.  I start running away from the city with imaginary persurers hot on my heels.  I'm in vent asking if our chaos bank is clear.  No, it is hot.  Enemies are in control of the bank.  Damnit.  I log out within spitting distance of the clan city and am here now typing to you.

Will I be able to get to the bank and deposit my new found treasure?  THAT is Darkfall and why I enjoy playing.

Edit:  I teleported to the bank.  Crap, three LOD (enemy guild) at the bank.  I rush to the bank, and start depositing my treasure while they start mercilessly beating on me.  They kill me...but I successfully deposited all my items of worth.

Good read. Yes! every day for me so far has had a new story with different outcomes.

AND the best part = none of these stories are due to damn quest hubs or "dynamic" events.

I'm Lovin It

• benseinebenseine Member UncommonPosts: 293
    Yeah nice story, yeah I enjoy it for the same reason. Always scouting around and being on edge.

There are also two reviews at the top of my guilds fb page that might interest you: www.facebook.com/FUtilez
  • indefindef Member UncommonPosts: 344

Negatives are easy enough to find. Looking for positives, looking for reasons TO PLAY rather than reasons NOT TO PLAY. Seen enough of those.

There aren't a whole lot of reasons to play to be honest.

You're asking people to make you like the game when there is nothing to like.

The only people who like DF:UW are people who enjoy games that take no skill and have no meaningful progression as a player.  The vast majority of people playing DF:UW right now are massive zergers who want nothing more than to kill people 10 versus 1 and steamroll over new players outside AV's prized "safe zones".

If you like hardcore sandbox games, DF:UW is a piece of trash.  If you like generic half assed PvP games with no diversity whatsoever, no skill profression, and little risk involved in anything you do, you might like it.

• benseinebenseine Member UncommonPosts: 293
    BS @ indef. This game requires alot of practice and skill to master.

And there is no steamrolling just outside savezones cause you can run back into it to avoid death. Clearly you haven't played it at all.
  • sumdumguy1sumdumguy1 Member RarePosts: 1,373
    Originally posted by indef

There aren't a whole lot of reasons to play to be honest.

You're asking people to make you like the game when there is nothing to like.

The only people who like DF:UW are people who enjoy games that take no skill and have no meaningful progression as a player.  The vast majority of people playing DF:UW right now are massive zergers who want nothing more than to kill people 10 versus 1 and steamroll over new players outside AV's prized "safe zones".

If you like hardcore sandbox games, DF:UW is a piece of trash.  If you like generic half assed PvP games with no diversity whatsoever, no skill profression, and little risk involved in anything you do, you might like it.

It pains me to say this but I agree.  I reallu wanted to like this game but I was incredibly disappointed.

• indefindef Member UncommonPosts: 344
    Originally posted by benseine
    BS @ indef. This game requires alot of practice and skill to master.

And there is no steamrolling just outside savezones cause you can run back into it to avoid death. Clearly you haven't played it at all.

I've played the game and it doesn't take any skill.  Whoever has more wins.  Warriors beat all classes 1v1.

DF1 was beautiful in that when you lost a fight you had nobody blame but yourself.  If you died to a massive zerg it was because you weren't good enough at running.  DF:UW is vastly different.  When you die there are a myriad of reasons that have nothing to do with player skill, namely class balance.

There is a reason all of the good DF1 players aren't playing DF:UW.  There is a reason all the awful DF1 vets who got steamrolled constantly in DF1 are praising DF:UW...because they are finally playing a game they can compete in.

Hardcore PvP games aren't for everyone.  Aventurine took their hardcore PvP game and turned it into a mish-mash of themepark hand-holding and half-assed sandbox features like full loot (the full loot doesn't matter because all of the items in DF:UW have almost no value and can be attained in very short amounts of time).

• FusionFusion Member UncommonPosts: 1,398
    If you need to ask for others wether to play a game or not, the answer is obvious.
    http://neocron-game.com/ - now totally F2P no cash-shops or micro transactions at all.