Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

They turned a great sandbox genre into a Themepark.

Comments

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Originally posted by Nanfoodle
    Originally posted by Normandy7
    I will not be buying this because this is hardly what an Elder Scrolls game should be. This is something just to milk a popular ip. No thanks I'll keep playing Skyrim and waiting for Bethesda's next installment of Elder Scrolls.

With your sig its clear why you are knocking ESO. My guess is in the next 1-2 years people are going to look back at this kickstarter generation of games and wonder how they fell for giving hundrids and sometimes thousands of bucks to help make a game they should have paid no more then 60 bucks for. 

You're assuming mental wellness will break out in North America and specifically in the MMO gaming community. A noble thought but unrealistic.

Over at the Mark Jacobs panhandling forum, they are all rushing to show their commitment (or is it commitability?) by outdoing each other with their pledges.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• DrakynnDrakynn Member Posts: 2,030

heh gotta love the MMORPG.com forum PVP best MMO pvp game there is.

Screw 3 faction warfare here you have multiple game cults evangelizing and demonizing each game set for release and each other.The only real casualties in these wars though...reason and courteousy.

• PsychowPsychow Member Posts: 1,784
    Originally posted by Drakynn

Screw 3 faction warfare here you have multiple game cults evangelizing and demonizing each game set for release and each other.The only real casualties in these wars though...reason and courteousy.

Reason and Courteousy were n00bs. They deserved to die...

Originally posted by Psychow

Reason and Courteousy were n00bs. They deserved to die...

+1

LMAO

Heh...this is mild dude. Want to see real forum PvP? Just head over to TSN Hockey--or any other sport forum fo that matter--now there is fanaticism. Christ, there's a whole industry of Sports Talk built around dissing each other.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

Originally posted by Iselin

Heh...this is mild dude. Want to see real forum PvP? Just head over to TSN Hockey--or any other sport forum fo that matter--now there is fanaticism. Christ, there's a whole industry of Sports Talk built around dissing each other.

I don't doubt it,Peopel get more passioante about sports teams than video games in general and thne you add anonymity into that...I can jsut imagine lol.

But I sort of worry about our PvP game here with the way the market is going MMORPG.com may decide to add microtransactions and sell advantages like limited immunity to bans or cosmetic ones liek making a games hype meter disappear for a limtied time 8P

• NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617
    I will not be buying this because this is hardly what an Elder Scrolls game should be. This is something just to milk a popular ip. No thanks I'll keep playing Skyrim and waiting for Bethesda's next installment of Elder Scrolls.

With your sig its clear why you are knocking ESO. My guess is in the next 1-2 years people are going to look back at this kickstarter generation of games and wonder how they fell for giving hundrids and sometimes thousands of bucks to help make a game they should have paid no more then 60 bucks for. 

You're assuming mental wellness will break out in North America and specifically in the MMO gaming community. A noble thought but unrealistic.

Over at the Mark Jacobs panhandling forum, they are all rushing to show their commitment (or is it commitability?) by outdoing each other with their pledges.

Ya its a little crazy. If you pay for a game before you see what the product will look like, with some game play trailers, its a risk most gamers wont taket. Here they are chucking tones of money on a concept and with a company thats never proved they know how to manage a business. I rather take my money to Las Vegas.

• baphametbaphamet Member RarePosts: 3,311

Ya its a little crazy. If you pay for a game before you see what the product will look like, with some game play trailers, its a risk most gamers wont taket. Here they are chucking tones of money on a concept and with a company thats never proved they know how to manage a business. I rather take my money to Las Vegas.

lol its a head scratcher for sure. many of those same people will trash on other people for pre-ordering games before playing them.

and yeah, at least in vegas you have a chance to get a return on your investment.

i have pre-orered a lot of games in my time, some of them i didn't spend but a few weeks playing (GW2) and i do not regret it because i can spend $60 on just one night of entertainment, much more than that actually.

but spending hundreds and even thousands of dollars just to hopefully IT a game and get a few goodies with no return on your investment?

LOL that is highway robbery!

• baphametbaphamet Member RarePosts: 3,311

i don't blame ya, you probably spent all your life savings on the CU KS lol

but hey, if it turns out to be a good game i will thank you suckers for throwing your money away so i can play CU IF it releases. :)

• daltaniousdaltanious Member UncommonPosts: 2,381
    Originally posted by Topherpunch

The root of all evil.....money. Why is Bethesda giving into corporate walkways? You could have created something amazing.

Yes, yes, ... they could have created something amazing. But for that you need usually MONEY. Unless you think houndreds of people will work for free to make YOU or few "fans" that share your ideas happy. And all this people will explain to their children back at home no bike because my pay is to low because I must produce something amazing for free.

So there is always some compromise to make.

Personally I love virtually all you hate above. Time will show if they got more benefit from new fans or losing old ones caused more money lose.

• AnakamiAnakami Member Posts: 103
    Originally posted by daltanious

The root of all evil.....money. Why is Bethesda giving into corporate walkways? You could have created something amazing.

Yes, yes, ... they could have created something amazing. But for that you need usually MONEY. Unless you think houndreds of people will work for free to make YOU or few "fans" that share your ideas happy. And all this people will explain to their children back at home no bike because my pay is to low because I must produce something amazing for free.

Personally I love virtually all you hate above. Time will show if they got more benefit from new fans or losing old ones caused more money lose.

I don't see why creating something amazing would suddenly break the budget that is given to those game studios. Amazing means also something different for every person. In the end it comes down to whether they can win over people with their ideas and how they put them into their game.

In the case of TESO they seem to hope on their PvP mechanics as the main appeal that will make people stay subscribed or wanting to buy their game. We will see if they were right with that assumption :)

Originally posted by Anakami
    Originally posted by daltanious

I don't see why creating something amazing would suddenly break the budget that is given to those game studios. Amazing means also something different for every person. In the end it comes down to whether they can win over people with their ideas and how they put them into their game.

In the case of TESO they seem to hope on their PvP mechanics as the main appeal that will make people stay subscribed or wanting to buy their game. We will see if they were right with that assumption :)

See? You do understand their design goals... no need to feign ignorance in this thread. 

And you're right, anytime a game is not modeled on WOW and the developers try something different they're taking a risk.

Thank god somebody is.

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

Originally posted by Tierless

I guess I just don't understand, maybe its beyond me to understand. Making an MMO based off of The Edler Scrolls should be a sure thing as long as they at least stay true to the spirit of the IP. I don't understand taking such a gamble as this. To me it would seem harder to sale DAoC to Elder Scroll fans than to sale an Elder Scrolls game. 

"To me it would seem harder to sale DAoC to Elder Scroll fans than to sale an Elder Scrolls game." This line was especially epic, but the entire above post is exactly how I feel about TES.

There is lots of TES fans here that love the game design. I have been playing TES forever and I for one cant wait to play the game they have designed. I personally think all the people crying about the DAoC model have not taken enough time to look into the game. Its dripping with TES lore, story, world and art, combat and the exploring added has some real depth. For a change here on MMOrpg.com. Lets not flip out yelling fail without knowing something about the game. MMOrpg.com forum hate is so thick sometimes I wonder why I even read the forums any more. Get a grip.

• MaelwyddMaelwydd Member Posts: 1,123

There is lots of TES fans here that love the game design. I have been playing TES forever and I for one cant wait to play the game they have designed. I personally think all the people crying about the DAoC model have not taken enough time to look into the game. Its dripping with TES lore, story, world and art, combat and the exploring added has some real depth. For a change here on MMOrpg.com. Lets not flip out yelling fail without knowing something about the game. MMOrpg.com forum hate is so thick sometimes I wonder why I even read the forums any more. Get a grip.

People have legitimate reasons to not like the design. It is called having an opinion.

What I find really offensive is the need for people like you to clasify a difference of opinon as HATE. So please, why don't YOU stop posting the HATE and let others share their opinions in peace. So please go ahead and take your own advice and stop reading if all you can do is accuse people of HATE.

• JasonJJasonJ Member Posts: 395
    Originally posted by Anakami

See? You do understand their design goals... no need to feign ignorance in this thread. 

And you're right, anytime a game is not modeled on WOW and the developers try something different they're taking a risk.

Thank god somebody is.

Try something different by doing something that has been done before...lol.

They are not doing something new, they are doing something old and something not only not new, was not popular, something that caused so much TES fan outrage Zenimax had to go into damage control mode stating that adding 1st person should help quell fans...which caused even more outrage because it was low on their lists of what they hated about the game.

One only has to look on any single TES, mod, or gaming websites forums to see it. This game isnt for TES fans, its for DaoC fans and no amount of spin is going to change that. SWTOR 2.0: IP runiation. About the only good thing I see coming from this is the firing of the designers and the removal of the CEO by the two men on the board that should be running the company, and want to which should lead to other game companies finally realizing that if they are going to take an IP, they better damn well make it for that IPs fans or face big losses.

And yes, SWTOR was a major disaster, twice had massive firings and led to EAs CEO stepping down.

• mari3kmari3k Member Posts: 135
    Originally posted by Teala
    Do like many of us are doing - and don't buy or play the game.   Simple.   Money speaks louder than any words.

Fine, I will buy 2 copys then... lol.

Step in the arena and break the wall down

Originally posted by Maelwydd

People have legitimate reasons to not like the design. It is called having an opinion.

What I find really offensive is the need for people like you to clasify a difference of opinon as HATE. So please, why don't YOU stop posting the HATE and let others share their opinions in peace. So please go ahead and take your own advice and stop reading if all you can do is accuse people of HATE.

King of the storm himself. It is what it is. Even Bill Murphy has talked about this hate and how sick of it he is. So I agree with him and its not anything but hate. If the game was a person this would be called prejudging also know as prejudice. We sit here never playing the game and yell how bad and wrong it is. We dont even have game play footage to be able to really even get a peak at it. This game could be the king of TES PvE and no one would know... why? Because you have not played it. So I dont spend much time here any more as I am sick of all the hate, besides I have things Im up to that are much more fun I wish I could talk about but cant. Later all.

• JasonJJasonJ Member Posts: 395

You will notice a pattern, its due to having no choice because there is no real way to refute what is being said. You can see it with how he refuted. "lore, story, world, art, combat and exploring". Only combat and exploring have nothing to do with "looks" which is a cosmetic. The combat hasnt actually been shown fully so that is opinion...and the exploring part is shot to pieces by the design which is walled off closed factions that actually prevents it from being like TES. He never talks about the heart of the game, the DaoC design...which is the very thing TES fans are talking about not liking. He then tries to discredit others opinions with the typical you know nothing attack, when clearly they do by talking about the base game design which is a well known game feature.

The single thing that no one defending the game has ever been able to refute is a simple statement made by another poster on this site.

"if they changed the names of places, npcs and monsters and then changed the way the world looks, would people say "hey this is a TES clone? or would they say hey this is a DaoC clone?" They would say DaoC because the base design is DaoC and the skins are TES".

Cant be refuted because the base game is DaoC, the look is TES. It all comes down to zones with levels all funnelling everyone to the same place, the one and only land PvP can take place in that is behind a magical wall keeping our actual lands safe from harm. Piss poor DaoC themepark PvP design which is nothing like TES where wars took place right in your backyard.

• MaelwyddMaelwydd Member Posts: 1,123

King of the storm himself. It is what it is. Even Bill Murphy has talked about this hate and how sick of it he is. So I agree with him and its not anything but hate. If the game was a person this would be called prejudging also know as prejudice. We sit here never playing the game and yell how bad and wrong it is. We dont even have game play footage to be able to really even get a peak at it. This game could be the king of TES PvE and no one would know... why? Because you have not played it. So I dont spend much time here any more as I am sick of all the hate, besides I have things Im up to that are much more fun I wish I could talk about but cant. Later all.

Sorry but YOU bring the hate to these discussions so perhaps you might want to re-consider if Bill is right when he is actually taling about people like you.

And tell me, is saying the game is bad because of design features that we have not been able to verify by playtesting any better or worse then saying it is great when you are in no better a position to justify your opinon with playtesting?

Well the asnwer is they are no different. Only problem is you insist on labelling peoples opinions that you do not agree with as hate. YOU bering the HATE.

Originally posted by mari3k
    Originally posted by Teala
    Do like many of us are doing - and don't buy or play the game.   Simple.   Money speaks louder than any words.

Fine, I will buy 2 copys then... lol.

I wish the hate would stop. My wife and will be buying a copy of the game and if the game stay as it stands now I would be glad to show my support now. 

Sorry but YOU bring the hate to these discussions so perhaps you might want to re-consider if Bill is right when he is actually taling about people like you.

And tell me, is saying the game is bad because of design features that we have not been able to verify by playtesting any better or worse then saying it is great when you are in no better a position to justify your opinon with playtesting?

Well the asnwer is they are no different. Only problem is you insist on labelling peoples opinions that you do not agree with as hate. YOU bering the HATE.

You always bring a smile to my face. As long as no one say anything positive about the game the haters are happy in the forum game bashing. I will part now and let the poop storm go on its way. Have fun!!!

Originally posted by JasonJ

You will notice a pattern, its due to having no choice because there is no real way to refute what is being said. You can see it with how he refuted. "lore, story, world, art, combat and exploring". Only combat and exploring have nothing to do with "looks" which is a cosmetic. The combat hasnt actually been shown fully so that is opinion...and the exploring part is shot to pieces by the design which is walled off closed factions that actually prevents it from being like TES. He never talks about the heart of the game, the DaoC design...which is the very thing TES fans are talking about not liking. He then tries to discredit others opinions with the typical you know nothing attack, when clearly they do by talking about the base game design which is a well known game feature.

The single thing that no one defending the game has ever been able to refute is a simple statement made by another poster on this site.

"if they changed the names of places, npcs and monsters and then changed the way the world looks, would people say "hey this is a TES clone? or would they say hey this is a DaoC clone?" They would say DaoC because the base design is DaoC and the skins are TES".

Cant be refuted because the base game is DaoC, the look is TES. It all comes down to zones with levels all funnelling everyone to the same place, the one and only land PvP can take place in that is behind a magical wall keeping our actual lands safe from harm. Piss poor DaoC themepark PvP design which is nothing like TES where wars took place right in your backyard.

TES is a themepark game that got a themepark model. As for DAoC PvP model its far from the heart of the game. Its just 1 part of the game. The PvE thats been talked about is rich and full of life much like TES. Sure its done in a MMO way but thats what needs to be done as TES with group play a MMO does not make. You have open world dungeons 2 and 5 min. Instance dungeons as well. Solo caves and ruins to explore. Join the mage guild and get rewarded for exploring. There is open world quests and free roaming quests. You also have the new phased events for orgnized guilds and groups to take on and on top of that you get level 50 you get 2 whole maps as elder game to explore to your hearts content. There is so much PvE in this game DAoC AvA map is just one cog in the wheel. A great one but just one. Time to stop beating the same dead horse because your all so far off the mark its not even funny! 

• ZedTheRockZedTheRock Member UncommonPosts: 176

Do like many true fans have done and go to a fansite forum and post there, hardly any hate and when a hate post crops up the fans quickly shoot the person down and he is promptly banned and made fun of.

Sadly mmorpg.com will never change as they allow the same people to spew vile hatred over and over and over and over and over because they have the fortitude to post hate and negative comments in such a way to skirt the bans here.  Instead of saying the game sucks, they will say it is contrary to some mythical gamestyle or some such crap that basically says the game sucks in the Top Hat and Monocle way.

SUP

• BrownAleBrownAle Member Posts: 399
    Originally posted by ZedTheRock

Do like many true fans have done and go to a fansite forum and post there, hardly any hate and when a hate post crops up the fans quickly shoot the person down and he is promptly banned and made fun of.

Sadly mmorpg.com will never change as they allow the same people to spew vile hatred over and over and over and over and over because they have the fortitude to post hate and negative comments in such a way to skirt the bans here.  Instead of saying the game sucks, they will say it is contrary to some mythical gamestyle or some such crap that basically says the game sucks in the Top Hat and Monocle way.

Spot on. 

This site has renderd itself useless as a place to discuss mmorpg games.  Partly because most of the games on this list are no longer mmorpgs, but more so the people on these forums.

Its like this site is inhabited by people who hate mmorpg games more than anything.

People dont post honest "reviews" or even really discuss the game, its all about positioning and posturing some preconcieved opinion about the game, that opinion must be spammed and defended to the death.

You come to this site to read about what non factor systems and issues are gamebreaking and to see people post financial statements as proof they are right about a game being bad..

Nothing but political crap..and thats exactly what it is.  Decide when you see the game listed based on a bit of information if you will hate the game or love it..then find every reason possible to validate this instant judgement.

Also, it seems the more developers listen to this audience, the less unique and origional games we get.  I hope that developers eventually just ignore the forums and feedback and return to making games based on a vision (not damage control) i dont care how politically incorrect doing so is...we had better games back before they started listening.

But yeah...need to change the website to mmohate.com and give mmorpg.com to someone who will make use of the address.

Originally posted by ZedTheRock

Excellent post Zed. Hope you stick around. We need more people around here with the ability to see through the sleight of hand to what is really going on. 

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

• bepolitebepolite Member Posts: 53

alright everbodys is free to deceide wether to like the develolpment of the game or not .

But what i ve read so far  specialy from our multipresent  (topicwise)  Sandboxmaniacs

its somekinda  of groundhog day  on argument basis .

Like the same thing said on xy games forums a thousend times .