Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Black Desert Discussion Thread

Comments

• RoinRoin Member RarePosts: 3,444
    Originally posted by Aerowyn
    been looking forward to this one but afraid we wont see it for a good long time.. imho has best looking characters of any MMO i have seen

They look alright but they don't blink. Non-blinking models bother me as much as bad animations.

Edit: And as the poster above posted. The trailer really doesn't tell you anything about the game.

In War - Victory.
    In Peace - Vigilance.
    In Death - Sacrifice.

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    Originally posted by Roin
    been looking forward to this one but afraid we wont see it for a good long time.. imho has best looking characters of any MMO i have seen

They look alright but they don't blink. Non-blinking models bother me as much as bad animations.

Edit: And as the poster above posted. The trailer really doesn't tell you anything about the game.

trailer doesn't but several interviews do...

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• ShauneepeakShauneepeak Member UncommonPosts: 424
    Originally posted by aesperus

The trailer's definitely nice, but I'd hold off on getting overly hyped just yet.

For one, the trailer shows almost nothing about the game when you stop and think about it. It shows it looks pretty, and that the game has some pretty bad optimization issues it needs to work on (I don't know if you noticed, but there's a lot of texture shuttering, and framerate issues in that tech demo).

We don't know anything about the game mechanics, and that's going to be a HUGE factor in determining whether or not the game is actually good. Just look at what happened with FFXIV. I'm definitely curious about this one, though. I saw the trailer a while ago,  and kinda forgot about it.

Well we do know a decent amount actually the Housing mechanic sounds cool if it is implemented well having in game non-instanced player owned houses sounds awesome. Combat sounds similar to TERA so far. Going by the way housing works we can assume there is going to be an auction house. There will be mounts and mounted combat as well as a plan for a breeding system. NPC interaction is going to play a major role with it sounding like the developers don't want us to view them as NPC but instead of as AI living in a virtual world saying that our relatioship with one npc could lead to jealousy and even hatred from others with each NPC rewarding our friendship in one way or another. There are going to be two warring countries as the games backdrop but it is not supposed to impact our own personal gameplay very much and instead of fighting for our country we instead fight for our own personal goals or the goals of our guild. Guilds are going to be able to conquer and control territory.

In short it seems the only things we really don't know much about are how crafting and other forms of skilling are going to work aside from the fact we can hire NPCs to help us out while were out adventuring, and how leveling, skills, and stats are going to be implemented.

• RoinRoin Member RarePosts: 3,444

Ok so it's just that trailer. All good then. I just find non-blinking really "creepy". Like a chill up the spine.

In War - Victory.
    In Peace - Vigilance.
    In Death - Sacrifice.

Ok so it's just that trailer. All good then. I just find non-blinking really "creepy". Like a chill up the spine.

LMFAO I totally agree with you hopefully they change that but it is something I can forgive. It is still too early to tell with things like the animation.

• XAleX360XAleX360 Member UncommonPosts: 516
    Originally posted by Shauneepeak

Ok, no one can be a judge of the combat currently because no one has played it but found an interview regarding the combat and it sounds hopeful.

It's going to be actioned based, sorry people with carpal tunnel, with abilties. The main combat itself is going to try and be loose enough to not scare of the casual gamer, they are aiming for an engaging combat system that won't leave us exhausted. "we realized that we should manage users’ level of tiresome and complexity when it comes to an action combat.". Some abilities will rely on a stamina system however so hopefully it will not be a constant spam fest.

Full interview in multiple languages http://www.worldsfactory.net/giochi/pc/black-desert-intervista-esclusiva

Short and sweet version without much detail http://massively.joystiq.com/2013/04/18/black-desert-interview-talks-active-combat-and-the-big-picture/

Thanks for posting it! I'm the Founder & Editor in Chief of Worlds Factory and also the one who conducted the interview. 

I'm glad you people liked the interview. Unfortunately I had to be the bearer of bad news (2015 ETA, actually it was end of 2014 but just before publishing I was told to update that part :( ), but there was a lot of good information as well. Black Desert certainly looks one of the most promising MMORPGs around, I hope to get to try it at Gamescom and report about it!

P.S.: that's Italian!

Executive Editor (Games) http://www.wccftech.com

depends for me.. if its a game like TSW or SWTOR where you see your face all the time then yea it bothers me.. but if you hardly ever see the front of your face and others are mostly under helmets and such its not a huge deal.. but again this isn't finished footage and blinking could be added easily

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

Originally posted by XAleX360

Ok, no one can be a judge of the combat currently because no one has played it but found an interview regarding the combat and it sounds hopeful.

It's going to be actioned based, sorry people with carpal tunnel, with abilties. The main combat itself is going to try and be loose enough to not scare of the casual gamer, they are aiming for an engaging combat system that won't leave us exhausted. "we realized that we should manage users’ level of tiresome and complexity when it comes to an action combat.". Some abilities will rely on a stamina system however so hopefully it will not be a constant spam fest.

Full interview in multiple languages http://www.worldsfactory.net/giochi/pc/black-desert-intervista-esclusiva

Short and sweet version without much detail http://massively.joystiq.com/2013/04/18/black-desert-interview-talks-active-combat-and-the-big-picture/

Thanks for posting it! I'm the Founder & Editor in Chief of Worlds Factory and also the one who conducted the interview. 

I'm glad you people liked the interview. Unfortunately I had to be the bearer of bad news (2015 ETA, actually it was end of 2014 but just before publishing I was told to update that part :( ), but there was a lot of good information as well. Black Desert certainly looks one of the most promising MMORPGs around, I hope to get to try it at Gamescom and report about it!

P.S.: that's Italian!

Thanks very much for conducting that interview from what I have seen it contains the most information in a single source so far. I also just quickly scrolled through the Italian part it seemed longer than the English so figured it was more than one language.

I would also greatly appreciate it if you are able to report any future hands on with the game. I'll be sure to keep an eye out.

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440
    Originally posted by Scalpless
    Black Deserts is one of those games that could be awesome or just a typical grindfest with some nice gimmicks. Time will tell, but I definitely think it should get its own page and some articles.

Yep.  The thing is, if it's as much like ArcheAge as it looks but with those graphics, I'm not even going to touch AA.  The combat looks better too.

• ZedTheRockZedTheRock Member UncommonPosts: 176
    Might be one of the first Eastern MMO's I have ever looked forward to.

SUP

I'm really digging the fact we can set up a little tent/shack as home even if we cannot afford to buy a house.

I can just picture a bunch of Hoovervilles popping up outside the major trade cities this game has so much potenetial I really do hope it turns out good.

For non-Americans a Hooverville is a term popularized during the United States great depression for shanty towns that popped up around major towns and cities.

• Ramonski7Ramonski7 Member UncommonPosts: 2,662
    Three Eastern MMORPGs looking to push the boundaries of visuals for the genre, but then again Koreans were always ahead of the curve when it came to that department compared to their Western counterparts. Can they beat them when it comes to providing a living breathing virtual world to enjoy? A world where staking your claim in their virtual playground and blazing your own path is not only possible, but encouraged? Where not everyone wants to be the hero. Not everyone wants to rule the realm. Not everyone wants to be Uncle Owen. The introduction tagline on ArcheAge's website sums it up well:

ArcheAge isn't about following a defined path, it's about creating a world by choosing the things that matter to you.

The only games that I have ever known to do this for me were UO and SWG. So only time will tell and if one of these mmorpgs can provide this experience for me, I'll be taking a long haitus from this site (no hard feelings).

"Small minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas."

Originally posted by Ramonski7
    Three Eastern MMORPGs looking to push the boundaries of visuals for the genre, but then again Koreans were always ahead of the curve when it came to that department compared to their Western counterparts. Can they beat them when it comes to providing a living breathing virtual world to enjoy? A world where staking your claim in their virtual playground and blazing your own path is not only possible, but encouraged? Where not everyone wants to be the hero. Not everyone wants to rule the realm. Not everyone wants to be Uncle Owen. The introduction tagline on ArcheAge's website sums it up well:

ArcheAge isn't about following a defined path, it's about creating a world by choosing the things that matter to you.

The only games that I have ever known to do this for me were UO and SWG. So only time will tell and if one of these mmorpgs can provide this experience for me, I'll be taking a long haitus from this site (no hard feelings).

completely forgot about Bless thanks for the reminder:) there other one EIN looks good as well

• AsheramAsheram Member EpicPosts: 5,071
    Originally posted by Homitu
    Originally posted by Axehilt

Sure it's beautiful.

But how does it play?

Aion was beautiful.  Tera was beautiful.  Plenty of games are beautiful.  But I'm back in WOW because it offers the best gameplay.

unlike those games you mentioned if you look this one has TONS of systems from an intricate trading system to housing to seiges.. seems to be a very sandboxy type game somewhat similar to archage.. but again i wouldn't expect this out in NA/EU till maybe end of 2014 if that

I honestly think the end of 2016 is a bit more reasonable.  

They did an interview with some italian site and the game's CB starts in July and OB end of this year for Korea and 2015 for EU.

http://massively.joystiq.com/2013/04/18/black-desert-interview-talks-active-combat-and-the-big-picture/

The english translation is halfway down the page:  http://www.worldsfactory.net/giochi/pc/black-desert-intervista-esclusiva

Originally posted by Asheram

Sure it's beautiful.

But how does it play?

Aion was beautiful.  Tera was beautiful.  Plenty of games are beautiful.  But I'm back in WOW because it offers the best gameplay.

unlike those games you mentioned if you look this one has TONS of systems from an intricate trading system to housing to seiges.. seems to be a very sandboxy type game somewhat similar to archage.. but again i wouldn't expect this out in NA/EU till maybe end of 2014 if that

They did an interview with some italian site and the game's CB starts in July and OB end of this year for Korea and 2015 for EU.

http://massively.joystiq.com/2013/04/18/black-desert-interview-talks-active-combat-and-the-big-picture/

The english translation is halfway down the page:  http://www.worldsfactory.net/giochi/pc/black-desert-intervista-esclusiva

B&S was also supposed to be in mass beta testing for NA/EU by now... for some reason these games take forever to come out here

Sure it's beautiful.

But how does it play?

That is what they are aiming for at least, they still need to be picked up by an overseas publisher though. I'm perfectly fine with it being pushed back to 2016 if necessary it will definetly hurt but if the initial Korean impressions turn out to be good this is most definetly a game I don't mind waiting for. Archeage and Black Desert truly seem like next gen MMOs Bless "looks" amazing not sure about it though combat looked boring hopefully the player in the gameplay leak just wasn't very good.

Sure it's beautiful.

But how does it play?

B&S was also supposed to be in mass beta testing for NA/EU by now... for some reason these games take forever to come out here

I think that is an NcSoft thing because I heard about B&S before I did Aion and it didn't seem to take them that long to bring Aion west.

• Vynxe_VaingloryVynxe_Vainglory Member Posts: 20

Yes, this game looks like it could be mindblowing.   Immersive and mechanically intruiging, full of action and interesting things to do.   I do worry about the clunkiness of things, but to be honest, I may overlook just about any flaw if they also are able to produce the level of immersion that the trailer indicates is possible.  

Remember that a huge part of why this trailer is good is the music they use.  I haven't heard video game music this good in a long time, and if they have a lot more where that came from, they could make just about anything be epic.

That is what they are aiming for at least, they still need to be picked up by an overseas publisher though. I'm perfectly fine with it being pushed back to 2016 if necessary it will definetly hurt but if the initial Korean impressions turn out to be good this is most definetly a game I don't mind waiting for. Archeage and Black Desert truly seem like next gen MMOs Bless "looks" amazing not sure about it though combat looked boring hopefully the player in the gameplay leak just wasn't very good.

It might very well be 2016 or later before it comes to NA, as I have been reading some of their replies to people on there facebook page and NA isnt even mentioned only EU and Russia, so NA players might have to deal with high ping for awhile. =P

• FdzzaiglFdzzaigl Member UncommonPosts: 2,433

Seen trailers and such for this game ages ago. Through posts on these forums as well.

Not sure how far along it is in development now.

The question is usually: how many walls of grind are all of these great features hidden behind? And secondly: how many years is it going to take to release it in English?

Feel free to use my referral link for SW:TOR if you want to test out the game. You'll get some special unlocks!

It might very well be 2016 or later before it comes to NA, as I have been reading some of their replies to people on there facebook page and NA isnt even mentioned only EU and Russia, so NA players might have to deal with high ping for awhile. =P

I wouldn't mind playing the EU version long as they would allow some sort of account transfer I feel more games should do that even if they charge you like $20 game developers should know how impatient people are and if they give them the chance to play a foreign version of the game then later switch to their home countries version when it is released it seems like a win win situation we get to play the game early and then they get extra money when we all want to transfer.

I can't remember but I believe Knight Online had this second MMO I ever played after Runescape. =P Knight Online's customer service was horrendous though, my account was linked to my old internet provider's email they gave my family but when we switched and lost that email I could no longer play because all my account information was linked to it and they said they could not switch it to another email because a confirmation email must be sent to the first which no longer exists. Sorry for my rant but ugh perfect example of horrible customer service.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

You can't go by a trailer,they are 99% of the time,NOT what you see ina game,just a promotion video.

Geesh the best video i watched was of MU online and we all know that is not a great looking game.Blizzard is famous for putting out videos of higher quality than the game.

TERA looked gorgeous in videos,i get in the game,it was horrid,no color at all,just a blue haze over everything,rocks,looked blue,sand looked blue,armor looked blue and all at max settings.

They can take a screenshot in game when the game is not live and just lower al lthe settings later,including resolution,models, everything.This happens in ALL f2p games.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• JasonJJasonJ Member Posts: 395

I voted other MMOs should be ashamed because they should...even without black desert lol.

Anyway, the reason there is nothing about the game here is that its still in early beta in Korea and may not be released there for another year. But yeah, I have been following it for about 4-5 months now since I stumbled across some videos of it on Youtube. Cant wait, and hope it isnt FFA PvP because if it isnt, I will be all over it even if the gameplay itself is average. I long for an open world game and am sick of the small box most MMOs are being made in by western companies.

Originally posted by Wizardry

You can't go by a trailer,they are 99% of the time,NOT what you see ina game,just a promotion video.

Geesh the best video i watched was of MU online and we all know that is not a great looking game.Blizzard is famous for putting out videos of higher quality than the game.

TERA looked gorgeous in videos,i get in the game,it was horrid,no color at all,just a blue haze over everything,rocks,looked blue,sand looked blue,armor looked blue and all at max settings.

They can take a screenshot in game when the game is not live and just lower al lthe settings later,including resolution,models, everything.This happens in ALL f2p games.

Tera looks fine to me the beginning of the game is definitely very blue but that is really only because it is at night in the rain and that haze would be fog LOL. Only blueish stuff I noticed outside of the tutorial were rocks and yes the far off details are blueish but in most games stuff does tend to appear blueish just something to do with draw distance I guess. For a F2P game Tera looks amazing in my opinion.

To the blizzard comment every blizzard trailer I have ever seen has been pre-rendered CG and not actual game engine footage. While we can not be sure this appears to be in game footage.

This game is also not guaranteed to be F2P yet. Pearl Abyss is aiming for a F2P model in Korea and Japan but there is a chance the American and European version will not be F2P it is up to the foreign publishers. Pearl Abyss even said depending on public reaction they would gladly change the whole game model for Asia as well.

• XAleX360XAleX360 Member UncommonPosts: 516
    Originally posted by JasonJ

I voted other MMOs should be ashamed because they should...even without black desert lol.

Anyway, the reason there is nothing about the game here is that its still in early beta in Korea and may not be released there for another year. But yeah, I have been following it for about 4-5 months now since I stumbled across some videos of it on Youtube. Cant wait, and hope it isnt FFA PvP because if it isnt, I will be all over it even if the gameplay itself is average. I long for an open world game and am sick of the small box most MMOs are being made in by western companies.

If you read the interview, Open Beta is scheduled for the end of 2013 in Korea. 

Executive Editor (Games) http://www.wccftech.com