Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is EVE still full of racists?

sudosudo Member UncommonPosts: 697

Hello, dear eve players.

A simple question really. Last time I gave EVE a try, it was full of racists and I saw everybody use "Jew" as a "general-use-bad-word" in both local, alliance and corp chat  (I am part of a big alliance). When I tried politely asking for explanation why they are using this word in a bad manner, which is I obviously find offensive, nobody never answered. Sadly, I felt forced to quit even though I did like the game a lot (it was almost a year ago) this time around.

I would love to know if you still see people throwing "Jew" everywhere like a curse word or did things change for the better?

Thanks!

"Only in quiet waters do things mirror themselves undistorted.
Only in a quiet mind is adequate perception of the world."
Hans Margolius

Comments

• Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,766
    Originally posted by sudo

Hello, dear eve players.

A simple question really. Last time I gave EVE a try, it was full of racists and I saw everybody use "Jew" as a "general-use-bad-word" in both local, alliance and corp chat  (I am part of a big alliance). When I tried politely asking for explanation why they are using this word in a bad manner, which is I obviously find offensive, nobody never answered. Sadly, I felt forced to quit even though I did like the game a lot (it was almost a year ago) this time around.

I would love to know if you still see people throwing "Jew" everywhere like a curse word or did things change for the better?

Thanks!

What? I played eve on quite a few different occasions and was part of a couple of big corps, never once saw anyone talking like this or using racist terms. Maybe join a different corp / alliance?

• MukeMuke Member RarePosts: 2,614

Yes.

Depends on the group you join. But there are always ppl around that need to compensate for their RL and act tough.

"going into arguments with idiots is a lost cause, it requires you to stoop down to their level and you can't win"

• sudosudo Member UncommonPosts: 697
    [mod edit]

I realize that, but it's also not fun for me to play with a large group of peole who use jew as a swer word regullary and very often. I mean, all of them, not only one specific "idiot"... And it's also considered quite normal and common thing to do. It was quite shocking. If it was the n-word, I bet something would be done about it.

One other thing I don't get, why doesn't CCP do something about it? Can those players at least be reported for racism?

Hans Margolius

• Rthuth434Rthuth434 Member Posts: 346
    yea, the game is stull full to the brim of the type of shit that subs are supposed to keep out of games.
  • RocketeerRocketeer Member UncommonPosts: 1,303

EvE is more diverse than your usual region locked server MMO. What people might find racist in your country, might be a perfectly fine insult in the next. Also there are groups on the internet who take pride in being as offensive as possible, in order to show of how tolerant they are(im serious).

So yeah, racism has been a insta kick in any alliance/corp i have ever been a member of. You should really think about your choice of compatriots if its different for you, and choose a different corp/alliance. Obviously reporting your own corpmates/alliance mates isn't really a ideal situation, so im not even going to advise that.

So just tell em they are a bunch of disgusting freaks and that you are joining their enemies to shoot them in the face some. Oh and take any stuff you have access too while smacking them in corpchat till they get you out after the 24 hours. Seems like the reasonable EvE thing to do.

• ChramChram Member Posts: 91

Hello, dear eve players.

Thanks!

I feel this is linked mainly to the CFC culture (Goons in particular), from where it is sadly somewhat proliferating to other places. Same as the n****r word in PL. Outside of those groups though, the usage is fairly limited I think. 

Also, I think I have never heard it deliberately being used in a racist manner. English sadly doesn't have good synonyms for the stuff the word has come to describe in EVE, so using it is the minimal resistance path nowadays. It still has to go obviously.

• KrashnerKrashner Member Posts: 137

Hello, dear eve players.

Thanks!

Welcome to the internet.

• AreWeLiveAreWeLive Member UncommonPosts: 201

Hello, dear eve players.

Thanks!

Really all you need to do is leave that corp and area if your not having fun or do not agree with what they do there. This is not how the majority of the players in eve are. Just go somewhere else and start to enjoy the game again.

If the OP is affiliated with goons i have no further words for him(maybe a facepalm though), but my advice stands. Might be hard to get into a normal corp though.
  • sudosudo Member UncommonPosts: 697

I am not with goons, guys. I always was part of CVA. Maybe I should give them another try and if it fails... Well, I'll try playing the game in a small high sec corp, maybe, even though it'll obviously be 10x less fun than nullsec I'm so used to.

Moreover, back when I started, CVA was all about amarr and roleplaying and such talk would most definitely get people kicked from alliance. Moreover, you couldn't even talk OOC in local...

Hans Margolius

• hfztthfztt Member RarePosts: 1,401

Hello, dear eve players.

Thanks!

In soon 10 years of EVE i have never seen Jew used as a slur or anything. I have in that time seen three attempt at slurs against black people, which all did lead to scorn of the offender.

That said there is a lot of China, Russia, EU and US stereotypes floating around, but I dont see that a racists to be honest.

• DrkKaiserDrkKaiser Member UncommonPosts: 16

The game was never full of racists.

You wanna know why? Because everyone in the game is Homo Sapien.

Not black, not white, not korean, german, italian, french...

Homo.

Sapien.

Now if you're talking about people just being general jerks, and misappropriating terms and being ignorant imbeciles? Certainly! That's been in full swing like the TSA with cavity searches.

• sketocafesketocafe Member UncommonPosts: 950

Hello, dear eve players.

Thanks!

Many still do. You can always avoid the big alliances and you're less likely to see it in alliance chat or corp chat. As far as all the replies go, this is something I have ONLY seen in EVE. This isn't something you run into in other games. 

Basically OP, avoid those alliances and try to kill fuckers who say this shit. 

• korent1991korent1991 Member UncommonPosts: 1,364
    Originally posted by Benedikt

how to say it to not offend you ... well i dont know so i will just say it:

anyone who use "Jew" and offensive word (or any other racist or similat type of word in offensive manner) is an idiot .... but so is imo anyone who takes offense to it instead of recognising that the person using it isnt worth second thought

I realize that, but it's also not fun for me to play with a large group of peole who use jew as a swer word regullary and very often. I mean, all of them, not only one specific "idiot"... And it's also considered quite normal and common thing to do. It was quite shocking. If it was the n-word, I bet something would be done about it.

One other thing I don't get, why doesn't CCP do something about it? Can those players at least be reported for racism?

course of less resistance would be - find a group that suits you?

for instance I haven't seen people use that exact word ever since I came back (It's my 3rd month now as a returning player) so I guess it all depends on where you join and who you end up meeting.

Usually, if you don't want to meet people who are douches - you'll meet people who are douches. It's always been like that so just don't overthink and just give in to the adventure I guess :D

"Happiness is not a destination. It is a method of life."
    -------------------------------

• MukeMuke Member RarePosts: 2,614

Originally posted by Chram
    Originally posted by sudo Hello, dear eve players. A simple question really. Last time I gave EVE a try, it was full of racists and I saw everybody use "Jew" as a "general-use-bad-word" in both local, alliance and corp chat  (I am part of a big alliance). When I tried politely asking for explanation why they are using this word in a bad manner, which is I obviously find offensive, nobody never answered. Sadly, I felt forced to quit even though I did like the game a lot (it was almost a year ago) this time around. I would love to know if you still see people throwing "Jew" everywhere like a curse word or did things change for the better? Thanks!
    I feel this is linked mainly to the CFC culture (Goons in particular), from where it is sadly somewhat proliferating to other places. Same as the n****r word in PL. Outside of those groups though, the usage is fairly limited I think. 

Also, I think I have never heard it deliberately being used in a racist manner. English sadly doesn't have good synonyms for the stuff the word has come to describe in EVE, so using it is the minimal resistance path nowadays. It still has to go obviously.

Like I said, it depends on the group of players, Goons are proud of their reputation to be idiotic so they uphold that at any cost, PL and other groups who are elitist will show you just how 'tough they are and how sh*t you are'.....

Still, if you find a group that suits you, -and there are many decent players around- you WILL keep on running into these racist players at some point.

"going into arguments with idiots is a lost cause, it requires you to stoop down to their level and you can't win"

Originally posted by Muke

Originally posted by Chram

Originally posted by sudo Hello, dear eve players. A simple question really. Last time I gave EVE a try, it was full of racists and I saw everybody use "Jew" as a "general-use-bad-word" in both local, alliance and corp chat  (I am part of a big alliance). When I tried politely asking for explanation why they are using this word in a bad manner, which is I obviously find offensive, nobody never answered. Sadly, I felt forced to quit even though I did like the game a lot (it was almost a year ago) this time around. I would love to know if you still see people throwing "Jew" everywhere like a curse word or did things change for the better? Thanks!

Like I said, it depends on the group of players, Goons are proud of their reputation to be idiotic so they uphold that at any cost, PL and other groups who are elitist will show you just how 'tough they are and how sh*t you are'.....

Still, if you find a group that suits you, -and there are many decent players around- you WILL keep on running into these racist players at some point.

And shoot them. At which point they might throw some slurs at you, which you may report and get them banned.

There is a difference between corpchat and local chat, using racial slurs in local ... well it'll get you banned in EvE as fast as in any mmo. Its the private chats where anything goes(and corp/alliance is private).

• free2playfree2play Member UncommonPosts: 2,043
    You need to know when you are being troll baited. It's shock jock foolishnesh. Having said that, I have to wonder if that isn't what you are doing.
  • OrthelianOrthelian Member UncommonPosts: 1,034

They do have a harassment policy (see section 3).

Favorites: EQEVE | Playing: None. Mostly VR and strategy | Anticipating: CUPantheon
  • Crazy_StickCrazy_Stick Member Posts: 1,059

Yeah. Some of that is still around and it always will be in every game. Saw it in WOW see it here on occasion. EVE attracts some of the best and worst sorts in extremes to polarizing results in play. A lot depends on where you are as some groups are far worse than others. CCP took a very limited stand recently by kicking a Neo Nazi out of the CSM elections, They did kick the Mittani out of the CSM for trying to instigate a griefed target to suicide. I don't know if they actually do anything about it in game but if they fear it will make them look bad in the public eye then it gets done anyway.

• wowkmonwowkmon Member Posts: 4
    Is EVE still full of racists?    yes, it is.
  • LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247

Last time I gave EVE a try, it was full of racists and I saw everybody use "Jew" ...

For someone so concerned about disparraging labels, you sure cast some sizable stones at others. As a member of the game community that you so libelously villify, I'm kinda glad you left. 

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• JinxysJinxys Member UncommonPosts: 488

Hello, dear eve players.

Thanks!

This is not an issue with Eve or any particular game. It happens everywhere. You really just have to laugh it off and move on and enjoy your game. How can you let a few rotten apples spoil your game, simply mute/block.  Now, please don't think for a minute I would condone this type of racist slang. I think it's idiotic. But with a community as large and diverse as Eve Online you will always find the worst of the worst and also the very best of the best ( Has been like that in my own Eve experince)

You mentioned you liked the game a lot. Go back to it and enjoy !! just use your mute/block feature, rise above the idiots and don't let them get to you :)

Have fun in whatever game you're playing !

Regards Jinxy !

P.S 

I would like to further add that I have met many amazing people during my time in Eve. This one time i recall I was asking around about a price of a hulk mining barge. and one guy sent me a message telling me to check my contracts. Thought at first might of been a scam. but nope, he contracted me for absolutely nothing a free hulk fully kitted out. Wasn't a trap either. Went to pick it up and mined to my hearts content. Just take care not to label all Eve players as racists, there are many fantastic people playing.

• HekketHekket Member Posts: 905

[mod edit]

*shrug*

Depends on what alliance you're in. I know just about all the major null cartels have alot of racist elements to them, but that's just life in general. With eve you happen to come in contact with alot of people where rules are extremely relaxed.

Welcome to the internet.

• MalcanisMalcanis Member UncommonPosts: 3,297
    Our alliance are pretty proud to call ourselves "battle hardened spacejews".

Give me liberty or give me lasers

• FromHellFromHell Member Posts: 1,311

yes I'm still playing EVE

great game

Secrets of Dragon?s Spine Trailer.. ! :D
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwT9cFVQCMw

Best MMOs ever played: Ultima, EvE, SW Galaxies, Age of Conan, The Secret World
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2X_SbZCHpc&t=21s

The Return of ELITE !

This discussion has been closed.