Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Black Desert Discussion Thread

ShauneepeakShauneepeak Member UncommonPosts: 424

Official Korean Site

System Requirements
  Minimum Requirements Recommended
OS Windows 7/8 Windows 7/8
Processor Intel Core I3 Intel Core I5
Hard Disk 40GB 40GB
Ram 4GB 6GB
Graphic Card GTS 250 / Geforce 9800 GTX / Radeon HD 3870 X2 GTX 650 / GTX 550 Ti /Radeon HD 7770 / Radeon HD 6770

The shown System Requirements are for the Closed Beta so expect them to change come the final release.

Beta Launch Trailer

I was just browsing through Google looking at upcoming MMOs and saw the trailer for Black Desert a Korean MMO currently being developed by Pearl Abyss and my mind was completely blown. The combat looks like the typical MMO fair when it comes to one on one, but My God! large battles, semi destructible walls, Multi-person mounts WITH mounted combat.image

Then simply holy crap! No other PG rated way of saying it but holy crap!!! The game world, the game world!!! Beyond mind blowing I don't even see how Pearl Abyss is going to manage all this. Black Desert truly looks like a Next Gen MMO if I have ever seen one. The graphics are simply stunning, it honestly looks like a few of the Skyrim mods I have seen.imageimageimage

Now onto the the features real living breathing cities watching the trailer it looked like what you would expect from a AAA single player rpg, city sieges, a seamless world with no load times except for instances, trading, crafting, non-instanced player owned homes, and possibly even a breeding system for mounts, and as previously mentioned by me Multi-person mounts with mounted combat!!!, and may I add I did not count but I saw what seemed to be around 10 playable races.image

The beauty, the beauty of this game is simply too much.image

If this game comes out looking even close to how beautiful this trailer is its going to be a major kick in the pants for other developers.

Black Desert is currently heading towards an eastern closed beta set to begin in July with an open beta planned for later this year. Pearl Abyss is currently shopping around for a Western publisher with the current plan being to have the European open beta ready by 2015.

Link to the article and if you do not watch the trailer in HD I may just have to reach through your computer screen and slap you.image http://www.forbes.com/sites/erikkain/2013/01/25/black-desert-is-an-amazing-looking-mmorpg-and-it-has-the-trailer-to-prove-it/

Edit: Full interview in Italian and English with detailed information regarding the combat system link to shorter version is on 2nd page of this thread. http://www.worldsfactory.net/giochi/pc/black-desert-intervista-esclusiva

Edit: Highly recommend reading the interview really goes in depth on a few things besides just combat the way I made it sound.

Edit: Just realised I forgot to mention one of the coolest sounding features Black Desert is aiming at having a parkour system. For anyone who just loves exploring in MMOs I feel this should be an amazing feature.

Edit: Another interview found by mairic I really loved the information regarding the ability to turn our houses into stores and workshops. The gender comments should not be too much of a worry when Gender locking was mentioned I guess it quickly met with heated feedback this post Was from back in February. http://blackdesertspoint.8forum.net/t11-fresh-interview-with-the-black-deserts-team

Edit:Fairly recent interview giving lots of information. Brian Oh, the Director of Business Development hints towards the game being not so grindy and gives more information on multiple topics. The one worry I gained from this interview was the fact a rich player may own more than one house with a limited number available per server this could be an issue. At least owners must repurchase their house after 3 months. Also for all we know more cities and housing may even be added with expansions.

Edit: A new fan made feature video discussing most of what I have mentioned but has a lot more footage than I have seen not quite sure where he got some of it, but however he got it the game still looks amazing. The footage once again is still alpha so there is some clipping, pop in, and  the player characters do not blink however this must be temporary because I noticed the NPCs and monsters were blinking. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9EljAdiTXpk Just a heads up the guy talks about as fast as I do when I'm overtired, which is quite fast lol.

Comments

• BenediktBenedikt Member UncommonPosts: 1,406
    i voted really nice, because it is (imo), but it doesnt mean a squat if the gameplay isnt good (and that i know nothing about)
  • ShauneepeakShauneepeak Member UncommonPosts: 424
    Love how I got 5 votes in the second after I posted this please at least watch the trailer and respond to the thread. Though I should have expected this making a poll oh well.
    Originally posted by Benedikt
    i voted really nice, because it is (imo), but it doesnt mean a squat if the gameplay isnt good (and that i know nothing about)

Yeah the game play I am a bit worried about, but even with crappy gameplay if it looks this good its going to set a new standard for how MMOs should look.

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    been looking forward to this one but afraid we wont see it for a good long time.. imho has best looking characters of any MMO i have seen

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769
    Originally posted by Shauneepeak
    Love how I got 5 votes in the second after I posted this please at least watch the trailer and respond to the thread. Though I should have expected this making a poll oh well.

Do you infact know that people haven't seen that link before?

http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

Originally posted by waynejr2

No, but I'm a pessimist so I usually assume the worst. =P

Btw I feel for your gamer tag never played City of Heroes but it never appeared like it was struggling and my local Walmart even still has copies of it definetly a game I feel should still be around.

• ScalplessScalpless Member UncommonPosts: 1,426
    Black Deserts is one of those games that could be awesome or just a typical grindfest with some nice gimmicks. Time will tell, but I definitely think it should get its own page and some articles.
  • MithicorMithicor Member Posts: 23
    Open world version of "continent of the ninth seal" .... YES PLEASE!
  • waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769

Sometimes when people come in with an passonate post about some new game, they come off looking like a viral marketer.  Expect a negative reaction. 

A better way to promote this game is to get the attention of the mmorpg.com staff and  have them do a big opening for it. 

http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• DibdabsDibdabs Member RarePosts: 3,203
    A trailer can be rigged to make any film or game look fabulous, as we have seen many, many times.  If and when it comes out, I will read the reviews made by people who have played it.
  • Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,766
    The combat looks like it could be nice? But at the same time it kind of looks like it could just be typical grinding point and click with a little more movement than normal. Graphically it looks great, and the world looks nice. I can't really judge it on what I've seen, I would have to hope that later on they release actual gameplay videos maybe some beta testing footage or something when it's ready that will make me super pumped to play it but currently it's just in that "it looks nice" status.

Sometimes when people come in with an passonate post about some new game, they come off looking like a viral marketer.  Expect a negative reaction. 

A better way to promote this game is to get the attention of the mmorpg.com staff and  have them do a big opening for it. 

Ty. Yeah I sort of assumed that, that's why I made sure to at least give negatives in the poll I'm fairly new to posting on the forums so have no idea of how to get in touch with the staff and which staff I should get in touch with for this sort of thing. I have mostly just used this site for reading articles and staying up to date on things. I have no clue how this games going to turn out but Pearl Abyss did a great job in grabbing my attention and I feel their game at least deserves its own page.

Yeah the game play I am a bit worried about, but even with crappy gameplay if it looks this good its going to set a new standard for how MMOs should look.

actually this is exactly whats wrong with nonindie games today - that graphics is often put above gameplay. thats why i do still play 8+ years old mmorpgs and 15+ years old singleplayer games instead of the "new games with amazing graphics" - because its gameplay is 10x better then that of the new one's, where they spend most of the time and budget to make it look good.

quick video of housing system

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2Ioja-lQ6A

trading routes

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=oSkC8fiLU4M

some other info here

http://steparu.com/previews/mmo-rpg-previews/1071-black-desert-online-preview-2

Black Desert Online is a seamless MMORPG, so there is no loading involved except when you are joining instances

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

actually this is exactly whats wrong with nonindie games today - that graphics is often put above gameplay. thats why i do still play 8+ years old mmorpgs and 15+ years old singleplayer games instead of the "new games with amazing graphics" - because its gameplay is 10x better then that of the new one's, where they spend most of the time and budget to make it look good.

some more good info here

http://www.worldsfactory.net/giochi/pc/black-desert-intervista-esclusiva

• geelgeel Member UncommonPosts: 93

Mind was blown for me indeed when I watched this trailer for the first time last month. I found it when I googled lineage III. Because that is exactly what I would want to play and what I need to be my next MMO. Even though Black Desert isn't lineage III, it still delivered. Good stuff!

BTW just a question. When you guys talk about gameplay. Do you mean the combat? Or the things you can do with your characters ingame? Including exploring, what kind of mobs do we fight, character progression, social interaction etc?

Because I always feel ppl talk about combat, but I don't give a crap about combat. I want all those other things to be nice that immerse you in a world, things that make it addictive. 

Ok, no one can be a judge of the combat currently because no one has played it but found an interview regarding the combat and it sounds hopeful.

It's going to be actioned based, sorry people with carpal tunnel, with abilties. The main combat itself is going to try and be loose enough to not scare of the casual gamer, they are aiming for an engaging combat system that won't leave us exhausted. "we realized that we should manage users’ level of tiresome and complexity when it comes to an action combat.". Some abilities will rely on a stamina system however so hopefully it will not be a constant spam fest.

Full interview in multiple languages http://www.worldsfactory.net/giochi/pc/black-desert-intervista-esclusiva

Short and sweet version without much detail http://massively.joystiq.com/2013/04/18/black-desert-interview-talks-active-combat-and-the-big-picture/

• ThupliThupli Member RarePosts: 1,318

Interesting.  Thanks for the post, OP.

I was scanning the game list yesterday and saw Blessed, which also made me go "WOW"!!

http://www.neowizgames.com/gstar2012/Bless/

• BattlerockBattlerock Member CommonPosts: 1,393
    Looks like a living world, hope they make it that way.
  • MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196
    Really looking foward to this one too.
    Originally posted by geel

Mind was blown for me indeed when I watched this trailer for the first time last month. I found it when I googled lineage III. Because that is exactly what I would want to play and what I need to be my next MMO. Even though Black Desert isn't lineage III, it still delivered. Good stuff!

BTW just a question. When you guys talk about gameplay. Do you mean the combat? Or the things you can do with your characters ingame? Including exploring, what kind of mobs do we fight, character progression, social interaction etc?

Because I always feel ppl talk about combat, but I don't give a crap about combat. I want all those other things to be nice that immerse you in a world, things that make it addictive. 

Yeah I feel the same way. While I still want decent combat I can forgive it for not being great if the rest of the game is. It's why I still have hope for the Elder Scrolls Online even after that 20 minute leak because the crafting and player to player interaction still sounds amazing. I also feel we can't truly judge TESO's combat yet seeing as it is early closed beta.

• It does look quite impressive.
    Originally posted by geel

gameplay is everything you do while playing. combat is for a lot of people major part of it, but e.g. for me its one of the smallest - i am more interesting in things like exploration, character progression, crafting, building etc.

• PNM_JenningsPNM_Jennings Member UncommonPosts: 1,093
    visually it looks nice, but the game itself looks like trash.
  • AxehiltAxehilt Member RarePosts: 10,504

Sure it's beautiful.

But how does it play?

Aion was beautiful.  Tera was beautiful.  Plenty of games are beautiful.  But I'm back in WOW because it offers the best gameplay.

"What is truly revealing is his implication that believing something to be true is the same as it being true. [continue]" -John Oliver