Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fuzzy Avatars Solved! Please re-upload your avatar if it was fuzzy!

10 people are kicking the guy, guess I should too

1235718

Comments

  • Hamger8Hamger8 College Point, NYPosts: 78Member
    Where is a gameplay video O_o don't know how people are seeing gameplay.
  • MaelwyddMaelwydd CrawleyPosts: 1,123Member
    Originally posted by Nanfoodle

     

    I have been MMOing from the date on EQ1 launch day. Been around the block 14 odd years just on MMOs, been gaming almost 30 years.

    Been gaming and online longer then you on both counts. Does that mean my opinion is more creditable then yours? Nope so don't act like you MUST be right because you have been gaming a long time.  

    Still wont see me hating and acting I know what a game is really like before I get to really try it.

    But you are happy to totally support everything about the game and call people that have a different opinion 'hate monger's....based on how much time playing the game?

    If the game does not fit what I want I look for another.

    Well some people hope to express their desire and stick around in the hopes that it might actually meet their desires for the game. Is that wrong? (remember, having a differnt opinion doesn't make someone a hater simply because you don't like the fact they have a different opinion from you!).

     

    I may say why I dont like the game and but then I walk away. Taking over every thread where fans of the game are trying to talk about the game and turning everyone of them into a hate thread is where I am getting sick of it. If the game is that bad, then go find one you like. Many here have said very clearly, unless the game is remade from the ground up. They would not play it, yet they are here every day bashing in every thread.  

    The discussion continues and so, funnily enough, people continue to discuss it. As for taking over every thread.....what was the point of this thread if you felt enough had already been said? Thats right, YOU are the problem too.

    Im personally sick of the gear grind and happy with a MMO that focuses on teaming and fun over tones of heavy raid content that gets you fishing for new gear every 6-12 month. Games like GW2 and ESO are right what I am looking for. Something I can log on and play for 2-3 hours and skill matters over gear. Where I can get in any team even though I have shorter time to make my char uber like I did back in the day with EQ1 and WoW. DAoC was my first taste of that type of game play and I have been waiting for a game to do that again.

    One has to ask, if you want games like EQ1, WOW, GW2 and DAOC....they are still out there, play them and stop whining on these boards about how people don't agree with you and so must be haters.

    I think ESO can do that. As a fan of the game I would like at least one thread where the hate stays out and we can talk about the game. That has yet to happen here.

    There is NO hate. Just you spouting the term in every thread simply because people have a different opinion then you do. As soon as you realise people can disagree with you, quite strongly, and a good discussion can take place reguardless the sooner you might realise that YOU are causing a problem because you cannot get it out of your head that someone who disagree's with you has just as valid an opinion and is not a hater by default because of that opposed view.

  • SiugSiug TallinnPosts: 1,236Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Maelwydd
    Originally posted by Nanfoodle

     

    I have been MMOing from the date on EQ1 launch day. Been around the block 14 odd years just on MMOs, been gaming almost 30 years.

    Been gaming and online longer then you on both counts. Does that mean my opinion is more creditable then yours? Nope so don't act like you MUST be right because you have been gaming a long time.  

    Still wont see me hating and acting I know what a game is really like before I get to really try it.

    But you are happy to totally support everything about the game and call people that have a different opinion 'hate monger's....based on how much time playing the game?

    If the game does not fit what I want I look for another.

    Well some people hope to express their desire and stick around in the hopes that it might actually meet their desires for the game. Is that wrong? (remember, having a differnt opinion doesn't make someone a hater simply because you don't like the fact they have a different opinion from you!).

     

    I may say why I dont like the game and but then I walk away. Taking over every thread where fans of the game are trying to talk about the game and turning everyone of them into a hate thread is where I am getting sick of it. If the game is that bad, then go find one you like. Many here have said very clearly, unless the game is remade from the ground up. They would not play it, yet they are here every day bashing in every thread.  

    The discussion continues and so, funnily enough, people continue to discuss it. As for taking over every thread.....what was the point of this thread if you felt enough had already been said? Thats right, YOU are the problem too.

    Im personally sick of the gear grind and happy with a MMO that focuses on teaming and fun over tones of heavy raid content that gets you fishing for new gear every 6-12 month. Games like GW2 and ESO are right what I am looking for. Something I can log on and play for 2-3 hours and skill matters over gear. Where I can get in any team even though I have shorter time to make my char uber like I did back in the day with EQ1 and WoW. DAoC was my first taste of that type of game play and I have been waiting for a game to do that again.

    One has to ask, if you want games like EQ1, WOW, GW2 and DAOC....they are still out there, play them and stop whining on these boards about how people don't agree with you and so must be haters.

    I think ESO can do that. As a fan of the game I would like at least one thread where the hate stays out and we can talk about the game. That has yet to happen here.

    There is NO hate. Just you spouting the term in every thread simply because people have a different opinion then you do. As soon as you realise people can disagree with you, quite strongly, and a good discussion can take place reguardless the sooner you might realise that YOU are causing a problem because you cannot get it out of your head that someone who disagree's with you has just as valid an opinion and is not a hater by default because of that opposed view.

    Well written answer. I'm not hater, I'm just afraid that this game can be yet another cash grab and ruination of a great IP. Hope it's not because I'd like to play an Elder Scrolls MMO.

  • FdzzaiglFdzzaigl Somewhere in nowherePosts: 2,328Member Uncommon

    What mostly baffles me is how people took things out of that leaked video that weren't at all shown or hinted at. It makes me wonder if some of them just suffer from visual hallucinations that actively shape their perception of reality into whatever their prejudices for the game are.

    Like:

    -Tab targeting OMG

    - Quest hubs OMG

    - They turned a sandbox into a themepark OMG

    - No more FPS style!!??

    - Crafting system gone OMG

     

    Things that were either debunked in the video itself for any careful viewer or weren't ever shown at all.

     

    All of that doesn't mean that I don't have concerns for the game. I have trouble seeing how the traditional combat from the TES series will hold up in group based settings (and I wonder if the game will have enough of those in the first place). The statements from the devs that you will only have six active abilities at one time also greatly worry me, games with few abilities usually have few options to grow your own style of play. I'm hoping for combos and that sort of thing.

    But aside from all of that, it's important that the game be judged fairly, based on actual facts, not prejudices or small tidbits of footage that seem to feed them.

    Feel free to use my referral link for SW:TOR if you want to test out the game. You'll get some special unlocks!

  • AntiquatedAntiquated Oak Brook, MIPosts: 673Member Uncommon
    Anyone else getting lost in the cascade of quote pyramids and personal attacks?
  • TorgrimTorgrim GothenburgPosts: 2,088Member

    I am tired of the themepark games in general thats why I like GW2, Anet broke off from the WoW mold and dared trying something new.

    ESO also tries to break off from the WoW model with some interesting mechanics and features so I am somewhat intrigued how it all will play out.

    So I will try it out when it get released or sooner if I get a beta spot.

    Who knows I might be a great game or it will be a poor one, only way to know for sure is to try it out.

    If it's not broken, you are not innovating.

  • AnakamiAnakami BielefeldPosts: 103Member

    Personally I am waiting for any news about the game as I think we have pretty much exhausted the discussion about why we like certain aspects of the game or why we do not. Whether I will play the game or not still depends on one thing though:

    They either allow for an option to play, chat and group with any race (PvE only ofc)/make it so that at least witht he people on your friends list or guild you can group up without restrictions

    or they keep their -imo unnecessary- restrictions on PvE and see how many people will buy/play the game regardless

    An about this constant DAoC vs ES camp argument...just the last night I was having a nice talk with my friends. We talked about our great experiences within DAoC, watched some nostalgic DAoC videos and shared a lot of fond memories. Then we talked about ESO and lamented the fact that they had to bring a DAoC style mechanic with so many restrictions placed on PvE into a game world where it -imo- does not belong.

    So this is kinda ironic. I am a huge DAoC fan and really want a DAoC 2. But I am not happy with what they did to ES even though it has all the DAoC features I loved.

  • Caliburn101Caliburn101 LondonPosts: 636Member
    Originally posted by Ramanadjinn
    Originally posted by Caliburn101
    Originally posted by Vorthanion
    Originally posted by Nanfoodle

     

    Oooo got to play for 20 min and you think you know the game? How cute. Guess most MMOs get to full swing by then who knew.

    His 20 mins is a hell of a lot more exposure to the actual game play than you have had with all of your constant assumptions and accusations.

    You are right Vorthanion - 20 is infinitely more than ZERO.

    If you bet on the zero on a roulette wheel, you have a 35:1 chance to win.

    It's a long bet that is only very rarely the right one, and then only by chance.

    Interestingly, the zero on a roulette wheel is green...

     

    its not infinitely more, it is 20 minutes more than zero.  

    We don't usually calculate "greater" or "less than" using probability and statistics as you did.  The fault being it can have absurd consequences.  If you do it that way bad things like P(x) > P(y) therefore x > y  ->  so P(x) = P(y) therefore x = y -> P(7) = P(8) therefore 7 = 8.

    In conclusion, Vorthanion may be correct that 20 is a hell of a lot more, if and only if 20 minutes is a hell of a lot.

    imo it is not.  it is just 20 minutes more.  i don't put much faith in either person's opinion of the game based on 0 minutes or 20 minutes.

    Ah that didn't take long - my first post before I greatly shortened made a comment about 20 as a multiple of zero and the issue of infinity.

    Then I shortened and simplified it - as being precise and allegorical usually doesn't score you useful points round these parts. 

    Foolish me for not knowing that someone would pick up on the maths and go on about it for no particular reason relevant to the thread.

    Anyway!

    My point was, because Nan likes to deal in absolute statements without any real knowledge, I'd take an absolute statement from someone with 20 miniutes experience over his zero every... single... time...

    ...ad infinitum you might say...

    Furthermore, without so much as 5 seconds of in-game experience to back up a thing he ever states, he then turns that on its head and decries 20 minutes of experience as irrelevant. Entirely missing the ultimate irony of the relative validity his own position being based on as much less than 20 minutes as can possibly be.

  • JayarisJayaris InvercargillPosts: 308Member

    It's a sound decision.

    The guy is already being kicked to shit by ten other people, throw in some light blows to mix it up a little. Otherwise, when they're done kicking this guy they might turn around and find you (the pacifist) and they'll decide they need somebody else to kick.

    At the end of the day the guy being kicked is already screwed, you don't need to be a martyr for him.

    Hi

  • Caliburn101Caliburn101 LondonPosts: 636Member
    Originally posted by Jayaris

    It's a sound decision.

    The guy is already being kicked to shit by ten other people, throw in some light blows to mix it up a little. Otherwise, when they're done kicking this guy they might turn around and find you (the pacifist) and they'll decide they need somebody else to kick.

    At the end of the day the guy being kicked is already screwed, you don't need to be a martyr for him.

    Read between the lines Jay...

    ... the 'him' is the OP.

  • JasonJJasonJ New Port Richey, FLPosts: 395Member
    Originally posted by Nanfoodle

    I am one of many fans of ESO is who the target audience. Been playing TES games forever. I have played them to death. I am a HUGE TES fan. I will admit my fav PvP I have ever played was DAoC but this game has more then enough TES in it to make any fan happy if they would take time to look past the mob. 

    So you start a thread accusing others of not giving constructive feedback and then outright dismiss the first post, that was full of constructive feedback...

    You make up a SMALL portion of the TES fanbase, proof of that is all over every single TES offical site, fan site, mod site and gaming site so his point stands.

    If you take an IP, change it radically...expect to get poop thrown at you. And no, I am NOT going to get into it once again about how it was changed only to hear the exact same BS over and over again from people that are cleary fans of DaoC or people that have never played a sandbox before, nor those that dont know what sandbox is, or what themepark is. Its been done, the constructive feedback has been given over and over and outright dismissed every singe time. There is no longer a point in giving it on a site filled with DaoC fans like this one where there is a mad desperation in clinging to a 13 year old game in hope to relive the past...detailed posts will be saved for TES offical sites where Zenimax Inc has a chance to see it and keep preasuring the developers to straighten the hell up and quell the fan anger so when this game goes SWTOR and people get fired because the game isnt meeting the promised revenue from missing its target audience (the MILLIONS of TES fans, not a few that also liked DaoC), there wont be any excuses.

    Anything else is a waste of time.

  • PsychoticHamsterPsychoticHamster Brooklyn, NYPosts: 97Member Common
    ZOS is playing a tricky game because they're not just trying to appeal to ES fans, they've made that abundantly clear. They want to hit the "MMO audience as well" which I think is rediculous because even a game classified as an "MMO" with a low amount of MMO features will still be played by MMO players. Now we come to the problem with the bastardization of the world, so as to make it fit in the MMO formula, all for the  sake of congruency. But I say screw that, if 1 faction has something another doesn't then let it be like that, and whiners can leave but in the end we'll all have very personalized factions. A huge problem with their current forumla is that the game is definitely heavily themeparked, no matter what ZOS says. And as we all know sustaining a themepark is a nightmare and usually amounts to shoveling out a raid every month or 2, which only satisfies the part of the community looking for the good old gear grind. That's why this game should have been primarily a sandbox, mostly because the world of TES lends itself so well to the idea, and because to date its the most ingenious way of building an MMO. A game in which the players oganically make their own activities is far more compelling and fun than one built on the idea ofm burning through hundreds of quests. I still hold some interest in the game, but as we learn more and more about it I'm starting to wonder whether I'll really stick with it. GUess I'll just wait for Embers of Caerus then.

    image
  • fisch1002fisch1002 evansville, INPosts: 9Member
    Originally posted by Caliburn101
    Originally posted by Ramanadjinn
    Originally posted by Caliburn101
    Originally posted by Vorthanion
    Originally posted by Nanfoodle

     

    Oooo got to play for 20 min and you think you know the game? How cute. Guess most MMOs get to full swing by then who knew.

    His 20 mins is a hell of a lot more exposure to the actual game play than you have had with all of your constant assumptions and accusations.

    You are right Vorthanion - 20 is infinitely more than ZERO.

    If you bet on the zero on a roulette wheel, you have a 35:1 chance to win.

    It's a long bet that is only very rarely the right one, and then only by chance.

    Interestingly, the zero on a roulette wheel is green...

     

    its not infinitely more, it is 20 minutes more than zero.  

    We don't usually calculate "greater" or "less than" using probability and statistics as you did.  The fault being it can have absurd consequences.  If you do it that way bad things like P(x) > P(y) therefore x > y  ->  so P(x) = P(y) therefore x = y -> P(7) = P(8) therefore 7 = 8.

    In conclusion, Vorthanion may be correct that 20 is a hell of a lot more, if and only if 20 minutes is a hell of a lot.

    imo it is not.  it is just 20 minutes more.  i don't put much faith in either person's opinion of the game based on 0 minutes or 20 minutes.

    Ah that didn't take long - my first post before I greatly shortened made a comment about 20 as a multiple of zero and the issue of infinity.

    Then I shortened and simplified it - as being precise and allegorical usually doesn't score you useful points round these parts. 

    Foolish me for not knowing that someone would pick up on the maths and go on about it for no particular reason relevant to the thread.

    Anyway!

    My point was, because Nan likes to deal in absolute statements without any real knowledge, I'd take an absolute statement from someone with 20 miniutes experience over his zero every... single... time...

    ...ad infinitum you might say...

    Furthermore, without so much as 5 seconds of in-game experience to back up a thing he ever states, he then turns that on its head and decries 20 minutes of experience as irrelevant. Entirely missing the ultimate irony of the relative validity his own position being based on as much less than 20 minutes as can possibly be.

     Wow just wow, sorry to say the math is flawed. There are 38 numbers on a roulette wheel 35:1 is what they may pay you, but in no means are they the odds of hitting the number (depending if your friendly casino has downtown or strip odds). The greater than or less than example is no way related to calculating probabilities. In fact 7=8 may be right in some universe, just not this one. It's almost like saying If you roll 2 dice you can come up with a number higher than twelve, because there are 36 combinations. I just came here to read about the game, and to see what people are thinking, and I get treated to "I'm credible, check this out." kind of treatment. Please remove the quote from Einstein, as you make him look bad.

  • NanfoodleNanfoodle Posts: 5,474Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Caliburn101
    Originally posted by Jayaris

    It's a sound decision.

    The guy is already being kicked to shit by ten other people, throw in some light blows to mix it up a little. Otherwise, when they're done kicking this guy they might turn around and find you (the pacifist) and they'll decide they need somebody else to kick.

    At the end of the day the guy being kicked is already screwed, you don't need to be a martyr for him.

    Read between the lines Jay...

    ... the 'him' is the OP.

    You miss the point, so I will speak simple and direct as illustrations seem to be lost on you. The ones kicking is the small mob here on MMOrpg.com. The onee being kicked is ZeniMax and just about every game company posters here can smack around. We hate on them to no end and often with no reason. You may point to bad games over the past 5-6 years but thats about when gamers really got going on forums and every fan outlet and media release and started "feedback" to change game development. Big point of my thread is a small mob forms that acks like the biggest part of the fan base, when its not. But because they are the most visible part of that fan base they change the course of the game and often away from the over all game design and to often the gamer becomes a big part in way why the game is designed badly. We were better off when we knew nothing about the till a few weeks before launch. So the devs could create something before we bashed it to bits. Then we get to give feedback on the game as a whole when we see all the working parts worth together.


    =-D Only on a forum can optimism be called bad and pessimism the good thing =-D Welcome to the internet and forums. 


  • Eol-Eol- houston, TXPosts: 274Member
    Originally posted by jmcdermottuk
    Originally posted by Eol-
    Originally posted by Nanfoodle
    Originally posted by GrayGhost79
     

    When developers or publishers choose a target audience they have to appeal to that target audience or they will fail to achieve the level of success they both predict and have based spending on. 

    Age of Conan, TERA, and SWTOR just to name a few picked an audience, failed to listen to and appeal to said audience and didn't meet their goals. This hurts both players and the developer. Players end up feeling ripped off because a game touted as a game made for them turned out not to be and yet another $60+ goes down the drain, it hurts developers because then they are scrambling to fix things when its already to late. Content has to be pounded out in a short amount of time, the business model needs to be reworked, mechanics and systems need to be changed and tweaked, then they have to deal with all of this and much more while being forced to lay off the bulk of their staff. 

    TESO has chosen TES fans as their target audience and this was done so the moment they decided to go with the name and the lore. If they fail to appeal and listen to their target audience it will end up causing everyone a lot of headaches and dissapointment down the road which has been proven time and time again. Look at FFXIV and what it had to go through after failing to appeal to its target audience and listen to them. They ended up having to spend twice as much as planned to develop the game in the end and their earning potential has been severely reduced after the failed first launch. 

     

    Though that isn't the point of your post. You wanted to say that even though it may seem like the majority doesn't agree with the direction they are taking TESO you want Zenimax to know that its just a vocal minority and that far more people like it and just don't post on this forum. The games I listed had people saying the same thing you are saying now about them, the silent majority never materialized though and the games struggled. Would you like me to post similar posts from the FFXIV forums saying pretty much the same thing about it that you are saying now?

     

    I am one of many fans of ESO is who the target audience. Been playing TES games forever. I have played them to death. I am a HUGE TES fan. I will admit my fav PvP I have ever played was DAoC but this game has more then enough TES in it to make any fan happy if they would take time to look past the mob. 

    I agree with the second poster.

    As far as the first poster, who said they should appeal to Elder Scrolls fans as their primary audience, please tell me, exactly what MMORPG endgame do those players want? Because they can not do Elder Scrolls levelling content forever. For hardcore players, maybe a month or two even with slow levelling. Then what? They have to go beyond RPG content and have MMORPG endgame content that can keep players interested for many months. Basically there are two MMORPG models for doing that: 1) the Everquest/WoW model of PvE dungeons with epic bosses that only large well coordinated groups can do, and 2) a PvP model such as DAoC or other PvP endgame games. They seem to be offering mostly the latter, with a bit of the former. THERE IS NO REAL WAY TO SAY WHAT ELDER SCROLLS FANS PREFER BECAUSE NEITHER OF THOSE THINGS IS IN ELDER SCROLL RPG'S.

    ESO can NOT just be Elder Scrolls RPGs in groups, there is no way to provide enough content to last beyond a few months. They have to add an MMORPG endgame which by definition means it cant just be Skyrim online. Thats the reality.  People keep saying that they should just stay loyal to the Elder Scrolls RPG but those people do not say how they can provide endgame content by doing that... because they cant.

    It seems that both you and Nanfoodle are fixating on this RvR aspect of the game and blaming all opposition on it's inclusion.

    That's just not the case. I and many others have brought up other aspects of the game which we feel don't properly reflect the franchise.

    Lets leave the 3 faction RvR aside as an end game mechanic and talk about something else that is affected by it. Elder Scrolls games have always allowed you the freedom to explore Tamriel. Regardless of your point of origin you can go anywhere. So lets say I want to be a Redguard. Now I'm faction locked into an alliance I have no choice over. I'm restricted in where I can go to play the PvE game until I hit the level cap.

    Now that's nothing to do with RvR at all, this is the PvE game we're talking about, and not end game PvE either. That restriction goes against every Elder Scrolls game to date.

    Maybe I'm not interested in RvR. Why isn't it a choice to join this alliance? Why is there no option to leave it, allowing me to leave the area and PvE in other regions? Wouldn't that be more in keeping with a real Elder Scrolls game? Allowing the player that choice? Lets' face it, every Elder Scrolls game to date has been a PvE game. They had to be, being single player games. Now we're suddenly given the MMO and it's PvP centric. I can see that rationalisation for Warhammer, or Warcraft or a number of other IP's, but not for TES.

    Now lets move on to another subject which has nothing to do with RvR at all. Classes. Classes in Elder Scrolls games have always been used as templates and nothing more. There was always an option to use no template and just mix and match what you wanted. If you did use a template, you weren't locked in to some list of class skills and abilities. You were free to use any skill, ability or spell you wanted to. And yet here we are with classes. Not Elder Scrolls is it?

     

    I'm going to be guilty of saying what a lot of others have said now, but I'll explain my reason for it. This feels like DAoC with a TES name. There I've gone and done it. Ok, so now the reason.

    Faction locking: Ok so I used Redguards as an example already so let's stick with that. I make a Redguard, I'm now locked to that Alliance, my PvE game is restricted to that region, and I will RvR at end game, playing the class I chose when I created my character.

    How is this different to me making a Briton, being part of the Albion Realm, levelling up in PvE inside that realm's borders and doing RvR at end game as, let's pick a Paladin, the class I picked at character creation?

    I'll tell you what the difference is. The names. That's it. Nothing else, just the names.

     

    Now you can call me a hater all you like, you can accuse me of being short sighted and not understanding that they need some sort of end game. You can use whatever justification you like to try and deny what I'm saying. The simple truth is, this is DAoC with different names. Now I loved DAoC, until they fucked it with ToA, and I'd like nothing better than to see a new DAoC released. I just object to it being called The Elder Scrolls Online. I'd much rather it was called something more appropriate, and "The Elder Scrolls Online" was used for an MMO that was based on the design philosophy of the single player games. Classless, no skill resrictions, free roaming open exploration. It needs to be more sandbox than themepark. There need to be more player choices in all areas of the game. And if you have to include PvP (which you really don't) at least implement it in a way that makes sense for the IP instead of borrowing a system from another game which just doesn't make sense.

    So let's stop blaming this all on 3 faction RvR. There's more to it that just that one thing.

    First of all, having three separate realms with endgame RvR is not DAoC. It is similar to DAoC in that way but there are huge differences. For example, entirely different classes in different realms.  And narrow class definitions with very specific class skills/trees. Many skills usable on hotbars.

    Second, its beyond me how you have 3 realm RvR without 3 realms???? If you dont separate the realms, the RvR loses all meaning. Its basically just freestyle PvP. Now maybe you like that - some folks do - but its very different from RvR. It forms a realm cohesion that would be largely absent in a freestyle PvP game. Balance would also be far harder to achieve if anyone could ally with anyone. Basically then you are just asking for the PvP severs on DAoC which didnt take long to degenerate into a few large guilds looking for newbs to kill. I just dont think thats a business viable model for a AAA MMORPG.

    Anyway, I understand you dont like race/alliance restrictions. Fair enough. But you fail to outline another RvR model that would be viable with wide appeal. The alternative models would just alienate other players for different reasons. I am sure they didnt make this decision easily or lightly; they made it because it seemed like the best choice all things considered. I think their main goal is making the endgame fun and balanced, and frankly I think they made the right choice. You feel otherwise, fair enough, but at least be honest and look at the problems with your own proposal rather than just the problems with theirs, because all approaches have pros and cons when you think about it, and its not clear that yours is better than theirs, just the opposite in fact.

    Elladan - ESO (AD)
    Camring - SWTOR (Ebon Hawk)
    Eol & Justinian - Rift (Faeblight)
    Ceol and Duri - LotRO (Landroval)
    Kili - WoW
    Eol - Lineage 2
    Camring - SWG
    Justinian (Nimue), Camring - DAoC

  • baphametbaphamet omaha, NEPosts: 2,838Member Uncommon


    Originally posted by Golelorn
    Originally posted by Eir_S Originally posted by Golelorn If this game takes the road of EQ2, LOTRO, GW2, AoC, SWTOR, Rift, etc. how can a TES fan be happy with that? Log into any one of those games, and tell me how the population is. And all but one is free!!! Pathetically eenough, thta is probably the most popular one!!
    Really?  Which one is that?  Because I count 2 games there that require purchases.  Did Rift go F2P when I wasn't looking? Also... er.. most of those games still have quite a few people playing, so I'm not sure what you're getting at.
    Off by one. Good call out. Truly worth trying to derail.

     

    I guess it depends how one defines "quite a few".


    yet some games never go F2p regardless of how many people are playing their game.

    some of those F2P games you listed have quite a few subs compared to other games that have no F2p option.

  • wowcloneswowclones Los Angeles, CAPosts: 127Member
    Was the green letters for 420 Day http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/420_(cannabis_culture) ?
  • baphametbaphamet omaha, NEPosts: 2,838Member Uncommon

    people mention they cant go everywhere and do everything but eventually they will be able to go anywhere with the same character, which is a decent compromise.

    i honestly only think it becomes an issue if the world is small.

    if there areas are huge enough i don't see this as much of an issue for most.

  • ShakyMoShakyMo BradfordPosts: 7,207Member
    Originally posted by baphamet

    people mention they cant go everywhere and do everything but eventually they will be able to go anywhere with the same character, which is a decent compromise.

    i honestly only think it becomes an issue if the world is small.

    if there areas are huge enough i don't see this as much of an issue for most.

    yeah but thats not their agenda.

    The agenda is remove all pvp or ghetto it off into crappy little minigames, so they can have a vanilla wow experience

    read between the lines.

  • ShakyMoShakyMo BradfordPosts: 7,207Member
    Originally posted by Anakami

    Personally I am waiting for any news about the game as I think we have pretty much exhausted the discussion about why we like certain aspects of the game or why we do not. Whether I will play the game or not still depends on one thing though:

    They either allow for an option to play, chat and group with any race (PvE only ofc)/make it so that at least witht he people on your friends list or guild you can group up without restrictions

    or they keep their -imo unnecessary- restrictions on PvE and see how many people will buy/play the game regardless

    An about this constant DAoC vs ES camp argument...just the last night I was having a nice talk with my friends. We talked about our great experiences within DAoC, watched some nostalgic DAoC videos and shared a lot of fond memories. Then we talked about ESO and lamented the fact that they had to bring a DAoC style mechanic with so many restrictions placed on PvE into a game world where it -imo- does not belong.

    So this is kinda ironic. I am a huge DAoC fan and really want a DAoC 2. But I am not happy with what they did to ES even though it has all the DAoC features I loved.

    see i see "the restrictions on PVE"

    e.g. not just being able to wander off and just find shit to do as WORLD OF WARCRAFT MECHANICS

    just read the RPS and Eurogamer previews on the questing.  Thats pure WOW that is nothing like DAOC or TES.  Now if they had actually cloned DAOC as many people are complaining about, the questing would be much more TES like.

  • Zeref.DyverZeref.Dyver North Richland Hills, TXPosts: 270Member
    People complain and flame because MMO's are currently dead. Everyone seems to have forgotten the great design choices of the past that made these games worth playing in the first place. Until the dev's can get this right and stop rehashing the same old useless, un-entertaining crap, then they are going to be bashed. All there is to it.
  • IselinIselin Vancouver, BCPosts: 5,618Member Uncommon

    First a disclaimer for the sensitive: I am not writing this about you. These are just my thoughts after reading this and many other threads here over the past few months...

    Some people just have to grow-up and get over themselves. There are all kinds of whiny illogical complaints in this forum that some think that because they managed to get a couple of others to support their position, that makes them true. What am I talking about?

     

    1. ESO breaks the TES lore.

    This can appear in a variety of ways: TES was not separated into 3 alliances, therefore doing it in ESO is not right... TES required targetting and abilities could miss, ESO has tab-targetting and you need to dodge to make abilities miss... TES had no classes and ESO does... etc.

    Guess what. They own the IP. They are writing. They can change it. You are just the player. They have given it more thought than you have... get over yourself. You are not the developer. Zenimax Online is not the evil twin of Bethesda--they are both owned by Zenimax Media. Understand that this means that Zenimax Media owns it all.

    Your choice is simple: consume / do not consume. Pick one. "Consume but..." and "do not consume but..." are just whiny pseudo-options.

     

    2. The EVIL that is faction lock

    I have always played a _____ (insert race here) and my wife always plays a ____ (insert race here) and my best friend always plays ____ (insert race here) so we can't play together if the races are separated.

    Grow up. Children, specially toddlers, don't have much ability to compromise. Adults do.

    Compromise is the defining characteristic of civilisation. "Rugged Individualism" is not a good thing, it's anti-social selfish behavior taken to the max. It's not admirable. It's pathological.

    Is being a Khajiit, who for all practical purposes plays 100% like and Argonian so important to you that you won't play with your best friend over it? Let me say it again: grow the f--k up! Having an adult relationship with a partner, at work...anywhere requires compromise. Being a parent requires compromise.

    Learn to behave and learn to play with others like a civilized, social adult.

  • dancingstardancingstar LeedsPosts: 346Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by wowclones
    Was the green letters for 420 Day http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/420_(cannabis_culture) ?

    Hmm I was thinking rather http://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Green_ink

  • ShakyMoShakyMo BradfordPosts: 7,207Member

    Ironically most of the whiners over point 2 are trying to make the game into yet another bloody wow clone.  And wow has faction lock too, although it serves little purpose in that game.

    What they are really after is remove all pvp.  but if they whine about "faction lock" it just sounds better, "faction lock" has such a nice negative sound to it when your trying to set an agenda.  Straight up saying "remove all PVP" makes you sound like a selfish prick, saying "remove faction lock" makes you sound like you are making a stand for "freedom".

    I really hope Zenimax don't give in on the faction lock, without faction lock RVR wont work  - look at The Secret World.

    Of course these faction lock people know this, its why the campaign for it.  if PVP is a pile of shite they have more chance of getting a ton of endgame tiered raiding hamsterwheel content added.

  • PyukPyuk Eugene, ORPosts: 691Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by steuss

    People are rightly pissed because the TESO devs basically said, we're gonna make TES a MMO, and everyone was happy, but then people see the actual gameplay and think, "Wtf? this is tab, target, WoW clone bullshit, again. This is NOTHING like TES.

     

    I'm pissed. Why aren't you? Are you happy with mediocrity and green text?

    QFT - IMO. But Tabula Rasa fans might be tickled since it seems that a lot of those devs are now fronting what's going into TESO. All 8 Tabula Rasa fans, that is.

    I make spreadsheets at work - I don't want to make them for the games I play.

This discussion has been closed.