Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

High Population?

I didn't play DF1 the whole time it was available, but I played off and on, including release, and I'd have to say that I've never seen the number of people in DF1 that I am now seeing in DFUW. There have been people around no matter what the day or time, and last night (a Friday night in America) there were loads of people on. I went to several cities and it seemed that there were dozens of people hanging out in each one. I had a medium sized treasure map that I wanted to get, so I waited until the wee hours of the morning to try and avoid people. Even at that hour, I had to dodge several players that came after me. I made it back to a bank safely with the 6300 gold I dug up, but it was scary. I loved it :D

Does anyone have any idea how many people are playing right now? Or anyone that would hazard a guess? I know it's not much compared to popular theme-park mmos, but it seems like there are more DF subscribers than ever before. Imagine what a Steam release could do...

Comments

• StarIStarI Member UncommonPosts: 987

Dunno the numbers but can tell from experience that you find people almost EVERYWHERE in the world and that it's very busy atm.

(EU server)

• RealbigdealRealbigdeal Member UncommonPosts: 1,666

At the launch date of the game or 1 day after, there was a total of 1600+ players in a clan in NA and 1300 in EU. Guess how many did not join a clan yet and you have your population. Note that it took 10-15 hours for a lot of us to download the game the first day. We needed more seeders. 

And i find players everywhere inside the safe zone and outside. It's not possible to farm alone outside the safe zone. Everywhere i go solo, i get jumped and i must run away, fight or the best solution is to bring 2 other players with you anywhere for protection.

C:\Users\FF\Desktop\spin move.gif

• SephirosoSephiroso Member RarePosts: 2,020

why are people so obsessed with numbers? tired of seeing people who base their decision to play/support a game based on the amount of players it has.

if its not over a million its trash! if its not more than WoW's sub numbers it sucks! that game only has 400k players, its shit!

i mean seriously. its just a stupid thing to focus on. try, i dont know, the gameplay? as long as you aren't playing a game that has ghostzones then its fine.

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

• CecropiaCecropia Member RarePosts: 3,985
    Originally posted by Sephiroso

why are people so obsessed with numbers? tired of seeing people who base their decision to play/support a game based on the amount of players it has.

if its not over a million its trash! if its not more than WoW's sub numbers it sucks! that game only has 400k players, its shit!

i mean seriously. its just a stupid thing to focus on. try, i dont know, the gameplay? as long as you aren't playing a game that has ghostzones then its fine.

I think the big concern with numbers is due to the fact that people tend to play MMORPGs over the long-term and put a lot of time into progressing their characters. When the numbers are high people are more comfortable making a commitment to any given game. I know some "care" for other reasons ("my game is better than yours"), but I believe that many have genuine reasons for their "obsession".

"Mr. Rothstein, your people never will understand... the way it works out here. You're all just our guests. But you act like you're at home. Let me tell you something, partner. You ain't home. But that's where we're gonna send you if it harelips the governor." - Pat Webb

• GreymoorGreymoor Member UncommonPosts: 802
    Logged into a starter city and counted over 40 people around me, from where I stood, never mind everywhere else in the starter city. Wasn't prime time either,
  • Mad+DogMad+Dog Member UncommonPosts: 780
    EU server is rammed

• LarisliaLarislia Member Posts: 20
    tons and tons of people in the game..
  • SupportPlayerMMSupportPlayerMM Member Posts: 310

for 1 server I'd prefer 10,000 or so game has closer to 2k. Hopefully AV does work and the population grows. From the sounds of it a lot aren't going to resub.

• PanzerbasePanzerbase Member Posts: 423
    If numbers aren't so important as so many claim then why is SWOTR inflating their population. They have how many now? 50 billion?
  • RealbigdealRealbigdeal Member UncommonPosts: 1,666

Because there's no instances where everyone can easily gather up in a queue where ever they are and you can't gather a group of 5 only to cap a dungeon entrance. 

Numbers matter. If we don't get enough actions, it's better to have an alt game like league of legend, tribes ascend or any fun online game that you own.

DFO was the best game, but somedays, it felt like we were less than 60 in the world. Traveling and finding no one else roaming and every single cities empty is a total turn off. Because of this, you end up dueling your own clan mates all day.

C:\Users\FF\Desktop\spin move.gif

• LustmordLustmord Member UncommonPosts: 1,114

The population right now seems perfect. I hope most of the people stay after the 1st month. I bet most will.

The safe zones are packed with people fighting over mobs, and wilderness is big enough, you see people around- but you can also find your own places to farm.

I've been soloing, knowing that my exp is slow, but I don't know which clan I want to apply for.

I didn't play a lot in beta because I didn't want to burn out.

I got in 2  1v1's  tonight,  and won them both. I'm exploring, and enjoying the world. It's an amazing world, really.

I'm having a great time. :)

• NiburuNiburu Member UncommonPosts: 402

Today we got around 2,400 clanned players on the EU server alone. NA has usually few hundreds more.

To that comes the large amount of unclanned people...

....and its not even relased on steam.

• morbuskabismorbuskabis Member Posts: 290

ATM I really enjoy the game. Its quite fun to craft stuff and beat ppl silly, that steal our stuff =)

Im happy I did give DF:UW a second chance. Even though the peformance and server stability could use some work.

image -Massive-Industries- Heavy Duty

• DrinkFeckDrinkFeck Member UncommonPosts: 189

Unholy Wars wasn't ready for release, but the population is healthy and Aventurine are slowly but surely working on the performance issues. If they continue to implement new features (as promised), it could have a bright future.

Having said that, I won't hold my breath.

• Deerhunter71Deerhunter71 Member Posts: 527
    The population is always okay the first month to the OP.  Problem is on this forum there is a poll on they plan on keep thier subscription and 42% already saying no.  Also - LOT of talk on the DF forums people are not going past the free month as just so much content is flat out missing.  Pretty sad - could have been much better if they had all the core features in.
  • GreymoorGreymoor Member UncommonPosts: 802
    Originally posted by Deerhunter71
    The population is always okay the first month to the OP.  Problem is on this forum there is a poll on they plan on keep thier subscription and 42% already saying no.  Also - LOT of talk on the DF forums people are not going past the free month as just so much content is flat out missing.  Pretty sad - could have been much better if they had all the core features in.

When performance issues are fixed and content starts coming in people will change their minds. Ofc people get pissy at launch problems, happens with every game.

Steam hasn't even launched DFUW yet, the population will definately spike up again when it does.

Logged in yesterday in a starter town to count 40+ people from where I stood, EU is rammed. Wasn't even primetime.

• luvbooxluvboox Member Posts: 87

Um...before you get your panties in a wad you may want to notice that none of the people above your comment said anything about "teh game suckzorz no1 playzzz!!!!" 

Seriously, it was just a question about the numbers. 

• PremPrem Member Posts: 20
    Population seems pretty high, and I have to admit I start to like the global channel, where it's bustling with activity and doesn't make you feel you are playing in an empty server.
  • JupstoJupsto Member UncommonPosts: 2,075

well eu is not as busy as df1 launch, but remember df1 launch was america AND eu. so it figures.

hopefully if they release on steam and keep patching game it will keep up or even grow.

My blog: image