Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Tera or Aion?

jmlane223jmlane223 Member UncommonPosts: 197
I have played and enoyed both games. Most recently I played Tera to max lvl but quit before the Nexus content. Aion I played and enjoyed till late 40's but got burned out from the grind (which I have heard is now not as bad at all). So now I am at a toss up of which to play. I liked them both very much and I am sure i'll enjoy whichever I play. The question I have is though which one has a more 'fun' pvp endgame? I enjoy pvp the most out of games so looking for this above all else. Also with that, which one will require less real life money to be competative (as i know both require some investment if I want to be among the 'elite'). Any help would be appreciated, no games on the horizon (dragon prophet is a let down with its week pvp concept) for me beyond the repop so looking for a new home till then. 

Comments

• MaelzraelMaelzrael Member UncommonPosts: 405
    If Guild Wars 2 is an option, then Gw2. If not, well.. Tera's questing is horrible, and Aion has alot more content even though the combat isnt as good, so... Aion.

• jmlane223jmlane223 Member UncommonPosts: 197
    GW2 is sitting on my PC since I bought it. I never really have had the desire to go back to it. I like my pvp games to have open world pvp (even if its sort of an after thought). Yes Tera quests are very boring, but I really do not care about the journey (as long as its not to long) of getting to max level but more so what there is to do when I get there. By Aion having more content what do you mean, whats the content? I will admit the one big draw to tera for me is/was the combat was very very fun, however the lack of content made me leave (so with the additions of recent does it still lack?). Thank you for the response. 
  • DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818

Tera's pvp is not very good imo. It's pretty much get farmed by people till you get your conjunct/vm set then you can play too. I never played aion so I can't give you any advice on what's better but any mmo that just has gear wars is worth a pass if that's why you're playing it.

I like tera I just thought the pvp was lame.

• VicodinTacoVicodinTaco Member UncommonPosts: 804

UGH, I just wish I had the time to play both.  I'm currently playing Tera, Vindictus, Path of Exile, and even some Scarlet Blade lofl.

And now i wish I was playing some Aion ha.

• SephirosoSephiroso Member RarePosts: 2,020

both tera and aion suck. the only people who are still playing aion are diehards who just put to much time into the game to quit now and new players who like you will burn themselves out just past mid-level range. or get sick and tired of getting wtfpwnt by high lvl players.

tera is worthless. questing is bad, crafting is still bad, has been since closed beta. bams were enjoyable till they nerfed them. less exp, made them stupider. easier to kill. only thing tera is interested in is pumping out new elin costumes to suck your money from your wallet.

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

• MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196
    Both TERA and Aion are 2 of the best FTP mmos out atm.
  • rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    Originally posted by Maelzrael
    If Guild Wars 2 is an option, then Gw2. If not, well.. Tera's questing is horrible, and Aion has alot more content even though the combat isnt as good, so... Aion.

Aion questing is equally bad as TERA. SInce i like mage classes i would pick Aion since the mage there is far better, with better skills, longer range, etc than the poor mage in TERA. Other than that i would go for TERA. The questing experience is identical in both games (horrible), so that particular feature makes no difference.

I personally prefer GW2 but i have both TERA and Aion on my PC as well to play every once in a while for a short time. I am not loyal to a single game when i have a bagillion to choose from.

Originally posted by VastoHorde

Thats not saying much cause F2P games as a whole are known for being shitty.

Also both of those games aren't just regular ole f2p games, they're P2P gone F2P so of course their quality is going to be higher than pure f2p games.

• DraGzielDraGziel Member UncommonPosts: 67

Well lets see...

Aion has a lot more content, better pvp, more features (housing, flying etc)

Tera has better graphics, better combat, better environment overall (better pve)

Both suck on questing so its a tie here.

You choose...

Originally posted by Sephiroso

Also both of those games aren't just regular ole f2p games, they're P2P gone F2P so of course their quality is going to be higher than pure f2p games.

this is true but pure f2p can be high quality too. A good example is RaiderZ and the upcoming Neverwinter. RaiderZ´ quality is not as good as TERA but for a pure f2p is pretty good, specially the combat flexibility which offers a lot more than TERA (targeting in RaiderZ is garbage tho, but combat variations is better even with less classes)

Originally posted by rojo6934

this is true but pure f2p can be high quality too. A good example is RaiderZ and the upcoming Neverwinter. RaiderZ´ quality is not as good as TERA but for a pure f2p is pretty good, specially the combat flexibility which offers a lot more than TERA.

a better word to use would have been content/features i suppose rather than quality, because you are right there are some pure f2p games that are very good.

Originally posted by rojo6934

this is true but pure f2p can be high quality too. A good example is RaiderZ and the upcoming Neverwinter. RaiderZ´ quality is not as good as TERA but for a pure f2p is pretty good, specially the combat flexibility which offers a lot more than TERA.

a better word to use would have been content/features i suppose rather than quality, because you are right there are some pure f2p games that are very good.

yeah i think compared to TERA the word content/feature would fit more, but compared with other f2p made f2p from the ground up then quality also fits with the game.

• GaoxinGaoxin Member UncommonPosts: 198

Tera - US server, even if you are from EU. Since Frogster, now Gameforge, is managing Tera in EU, its pretty much shit, but the US version is niiiiiiiice. :))

• aesperusaesperus Member UncommonPosts: 5,135

Very tough choice.

I'd probably lean towards Aion on this one. TERA has decent combat, but unless you are all about the action combat (and must have that retical), it doesn't really offer much else at all. The PvP is really not all that good, and most players are on PvE servers anyway nowadays.

I had more fun w/ Aion's PvP inspite it being tab-targetted. I'm not a huge fan of the flying in Aion, it's decent, but not good enough to make the combat better, so imho it just kinda gets in the way. Aion has way more content than TERA, and even though the questing is bland in both games, Aion does it better.

To be fair, though, I don't really play either anymore. I just can't do TERA anymore, and Aion still feels very grindy to me.

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440

I re-downloaded Aion last night, and am enjoying the idea of a 1-50 server that has a big XP boost and no gankers.  In comparison, TERA's combat is probably more fun, but the thrill wears off pretty quickly.  Aion is a more established game.  They're both pretty, in a graphical sense.  Aion's character creator is far and away better, it's even better than GW2's.. if that's important to you.

I'd go with Aion, but only because TERA couldn't keep me entertained.  Even then, Aion was much more exciting in 2009.

• PivotelitePivotelite Member UncommonPosts: 2,145

Personally I enjoy TERA a lot more, both are established and won't be shutting down any time soon so it's really up to you I guess.

TERA has more community elements i'd say(atleast on the pvp server in an established guild), better PvP and combat IMO.

Aion has more content and is more popular in Korea than TERA so it will get more content over time than TERA will, that is, if the devs ever decide to bring it over.

TERAs f2p model is less restrictive than Aions. I don't know about Aions population but I know TERAs is quite healthy for the time being.

Large battle that went down yesterday to demonstrate population-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2vxWg5zHUk

Chokepoint 2 stronk

• AddersAdders Member Posts: 28

That's a tricky question. I've played both, and loved both for short amounts of time, but got sick of the intense grind.

TERA's combat is much more enjoyable and engaging - it was a much-needed breath of fresh air in the genre.

Aion has the horrible tab-targeting, skill bar shite, but you can fly and the world is more interesting (and older and more developed, dare I say).

And then there's the difference in amount of jiggly skin displayed on screen.

So if you can stomach a combat system which involves no skill (or fun) then Aion is the better game. Otherwise, go for TERA.

• LurvLurv Member UncommonPosts: 409
    Tera is still better if you prefer REAL PvP. Not some tab targetting BS that MMO's in general just need to get away from. If you can eat while killing mobs, then it's not a really great combat system. Not in this day and age. Aion is VERY linear. Beautiful game, but no more gorgeous than Tera. That's just my opinion. You can just try both. No money involved. Yer just gonna have mixed opinions here. Forums isn't always a good choice for making your MMO decisions. For instance, the little "Under Developement" and "Current Games" popularity lists, GW2 is pretty much always on top. I played the betas, took the free weekends, and the game still sucks. If I went with the overhype on here, I would have bought it and realized that I've wasted my money/time. Always wait until it's either F2P or when they have a trial. And since Aion and Tera or both free in a sense, then it's like I said. Try them both. Or wait another 10 years and we might have a game worth paying a sub for.

Getting too old for this $&17!

• PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048

... Why are people posting about some other game on here? Seriously, might blow your mind but, your games might not be that great and might not appeal to the OP. Lets go stop mentioning other game in a thread between Tera and Aion, alright?

Aion itself is still a grind, but it has its perks as well. The grind you WILL take part in and you WILL need to deal with it, though of course it has more content and the combat is, as you know, quite fun for a traditional MMo combat style with the combination attacks.

Tera still has some lacking on content but at the same time its not to unexpected considering it is still relatively new. I do enjoy their concepts, which if they improve on it they can become really good.

Honeslty, why not both? Neither really needs to be taken over the other. Given you reach the end your going to find both take some grind to get 'good' though Aion has probably more 'refined' pvp play style. Tera, on the other hand, does offer a bit more skill based competition in terms of positioning and chaining skills which can make Tera perhaps more competative. Its really up to you in the end. I would say if you can, play both and work on them. They are quite different beasts and you can probably have fun with both, picking up and playing one that appeals to you most at the moment.

Originally posted by Purutzil

Tera still has some lacking on content but at the same time its not to unexpected considering it is still relatively new. I do enjoy their concepts, which if they improve on it they can become really good.

the game is basically a year out. its hardly new no matter whose standards you're using. and their concepts which you want them to improve are all entirely the same since closed beta. they're made miniscule steps towards making crafting better and they made it sound like it was a complete rework of the crafting system, but its still the same worthless crafting system as before back in closed beta.  they just made it easier to max, but they're still on the whole useless aside from alchemy.

• Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,766
    Okay after extensively playing both in both the original and F2P states I would have to say I had a lot more fun playing Tera out of the two. I hit the cap and started the crazy grind of endgame gear which was fine in the beginning but got extensively worse as I upgraded my gear. I would probably say Aion may have more longevity in terms of endgame content and pvp, but Tera has a bigger population and better combat.
  • PivotelitePivotelite Member UncommonPosts: 2,145
    Originally posted by DMKano

AoC had very fast time to kill at 80 with good gear and correct combos, while in Tera you can fight one mob for several minutes..it just gets old.

Just my opinion.

Ah I see, you quit at level 53-57, yes those zones are fucked up and all the mobs get like 3x more HP for some reason, but at 60 in the correct gear you can one shot regular mobs your level and take down BAMs in 30 seconds.

Opposed to normal mobs in 40 seconds and BAMs in 10 minutes at level 53-57.

• XxGrimmxXXxGrimmxX Member UncommonPosts: 223
    Originally posted by Pivotelite

AoC had very fast time to kill at 80 with good gear and correct combos, while in Tera you can fight one mob for several minutes..it just gets old.

Just my opinion.

Ah I see, you quit at level 53-57, yes those zones are fucked up and all the mobs get like 3x more HP for some reason, but at 60 in the correct gear you can one shot regular mobs your level and take down BAMs in 30 seconds.

Yeah keep in mind that the BAMS have so much health at those levels because they are considered 5 man content and the quests are VERY good on the xp. At 60, you don't need xp so they aren't so bad.

Originally posted by XxGrimmxX
    Originally posted by Pivotelite

Just my opinion.

Yeah keep in mind that the BAMS have so much health at those levels because they are considered 5 man content and the quests are VERY good on the xp. At 60, you don't need xp so they aren't so bad.

you'd be right if it was only the bams that got a major hp boost, but its also the regular quest mobs. everything for no reason like he said just gets a major hp boost. like it was just to make leveling take longer for no other reason than to extend leveling time.

• khartokhar3khartokhar3 Member UncommonPosts: 486

i have played both to max lvl and done all the endcontent. in aion u have much more endcontent then in tera. also the pvp content is more. in tera u have a 3vs3 and a 15vs15 bg (map always the same). in aion u have 1vs1, 10vs10 (no grps but everyone vs everyone), the dredgion (grp vs grp), rifting and ofc sieging. but both have also the open world pvp (in tera only pvp servers and in aion on some maps)

and imo the pve in aion was also better. the dungoens and the raids were much more fun.

the only thing i would prefer in tera is the combat.