Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

LF a good, gear based MMO

XstylesXstyles Member Posts: 107

That's right. I'm tired of these makeup games like "guild wars 2" and "warframe". When I switch gear, I want to feel the difference, not just being getting the same sword, but with a different colour.

I want a quality game with actual progress that you can't just skip every patch (this excludes WoW btw). And it shouldn't be a 10 year old game. Prefferably, it should be a relative new one with different combat than just "stand still and click".

Are my criterias way out of control, or does such a game in fact exist ? :) payment method doesn't matter. I'll gladly pay if the quality delivers.

Comments

• VoiidiinVoiidiin Member Posts: 817

Well umm, this might come across as sarcastic, but its not.

Go play WoW its very gear driven and it is not 10 years old.

Honestly if what you want is a gear driven game why not play the single one that has pioneered this type of gameplay ? 

Lolipops !

• udonudon Member UncommonPosts: 1,803

If you are discounting WoW, EQ2, LOTR and Rift I guess I would mention TSW and Terra.  Those are the most gear based games I can think of off hand of the new generation.

For better or worse I think Wildstar is going to be the best hope for a true progression based game we have.  

• HerbinLegendHerbinLegend Member UncommonPosts: 28

I would recommend trying both Darkfall Unholy Wars and Mortal Online, both of which are from the smaller, independent dev sector; both games have a  focus on pvp and clan versus clan with full looting, yet they offer up vastly different game play experiences between the two.

Maybe one of them could sate your appetite for something different. 

Can't get my pen to write in this space.

• VicodinTacoVicodinTaco Member UncommonPosts: 804
    Originally posted by Voiidiin

Well umm, this might come across as sarcastic, but its not.

Go play WoW its very gear driven and it is not 10 years old.

Honestly if what you want is a gear driven game why not play the single one that has pioneered this type of gameplay ? 

He said in like the second sentence he wants progression that isn't skipped over every patch or expansion.

WoW is basically instalevel 80, skip 70% of the game, then play.

• SephirosoSephiroso Member RarePosts: 2,020

You want a gear progression game but yet you automatically discount WoW because every expansion your gear level basically resets(not patch like you said).

I hate to break it to you man but thats how it is in a gear progression game. Gear is the ultimate progression tool in those games. It only makes sense that once the level cap rises, the new gear is better than the older/lower level gear. So it seems to me you don't actually know what you want, or that was just a thinly veiled attempt at bashing WoW.

And to the people who told you about Tera, don't bother cause thats the exact same as WoW, only worse cause you can buy the 2nd best in slot armor/weapons with gold, and best in slot jewelry. Also can buy about half the materials needed to craft the best in slot set.  Least you had to actually raid and earn your gear in WoW.

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

Originally posted by Sephiroso

You want a gear progression game but yet you automatically discount WoW because every expansion your gear level basically resets(not patch like you said).

I hate to break it to you man but thats how it is in a gear progression game. Gear is the ultimate progression tool in those games. It only makes sense that once the level cap rises, the new gear is better than the older/lower level gear. So it seems to me you don't actually know what you want, or that was just a thinly veiled attempt at bashing WoW.

And to the people who told you about Tera, don't bother cause thats the exact same as WoW, only worse cause you can buy the 2nd best in slot armor/weapons with gold, and best in slot jewelry. Also can buy about half the materials needed to craft the best in slot set.  Least you had to actually raid and earn your gear in WoW.

WTF are you talking about?  He knows exactly what he wants and it isn't WoW.  What are you spinning words for? 

• AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860

I'm not sure why folks think there is no gear grind in GW2. Although it isn't as crucial to have, it is still a challenge to get the top gear in the game. I honestly can't grasp making or purchasing a full set of Legendary gear. And yes, the gear does make a difference in the game.

Anyway, like others out there I would go back to WoW or Rift. /shrug 

No disrespect, but if you are a true mmorpg fan you probably know every game out there that is available with what you want. /double shrug

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

Originally posted by VicodinTaco

WTF are you talking about?  He knows exactly what he wants and it isn't WoW.  What are you spinning words for? 

Because of the fact that he's here asking us what game to play. He clearly doesn't know what he wants. Just like the boster above me said. If he's an actual mmo player then he should know whats out there by now and his only choices for the type of game he wants to play is to suck it up and go back to WoW or one of its lesser incarnations, or continue waiting for the next big thing.

• Vion1xVion1x Member Posts: 188

Because of the fact that he's here asking us what game to play. He clearly doesn't know what he wants. Just like the boster above me said. If he's an actual mmo player then he should know whats out there by now and his only choices for the type of game he wants to play is to suck it up and go back to WoW or one of its lesser incarnations, or continue waiting for the next big thing.

thats what i call an assumption o.O

op: I'd without doubt recommend you Tera, the combat is aim based or so called lock-on skills, very fun combat system imo. and gear is a big part of the game, it makes a huge diff.

He said he wanted a gear based game that isn't WoW.

So try to wrap your head around that.  Tryyyyy realllllyyy haaaaaarrrrd.

He said he wanted a gear based game that isn't WoW.

So try to wrap your head around that.  Tryyyyy realllllyyy haaaaaarrrrd.

Knowing what you don't want isn't knowing what you want. Now what did i say? I said he doesn't know what he wants.

So try to wrap your head around that. Tryyyyy realllllyyy Haaaaaaarrrrd.

I'm surprised you didn't suggest WoW for the 3rd time.

Here are some games I would just start downloading overnight and give them a try.  I've enjoyed all of them and as far as I know they are free.

Tera

Path of Exile

The Secret World

Age of Conan

Forsaken World

Vindictus

Vindictus and Tera break it up a little from the standard combat mechanics but it's not going to blow your mind or anything. 

I'm surprised you didn't suggest WoW for the 3rd time.

Here are some games I would just start downloading overnight and give them a try.  I've enjoyed all of them and as far as I know they are free.

Tera

Path of Exile

The Secret World

Age of Conan

Forsaken World

Vindictus

Vindictus and Tera break it up a little from the standard combat mechanics but it's not going to blow your mind or anything. 

wow did you seriously just list Tera? like really? Tera has the same problems WoW has yet you give me so much shit for listing WoW and you go and list Tera. Thanks for making my day man, seriously, you made me fart from laughing so hard.

Go ahead, suggest WoW again.  Private message him and say "I suggest suck it up and play WoW".

Go ahead, suggest WoW again.  Private message him and say "I suggest suck it up and play WoW".

first off, i never even suggested WoW. i merely told him his options. and that was one of said options. go troll someone else bud.

also like how you didn't even acknowledge the fact that tera suffers the same "skipping gear" problem that the OP doesn't like as WoW.

Nobody cares anyways.
  • eckardteckardt Member UncommonPosts: 48

Rift and AoC

• XstylesXstyles Member Posts: 107

Hey guys, Thanks for the loads of responses. As I said, I dislike WoW, mostly because the way you just skip raid content every raid patch, because of Justice points or whatever it's called now. I don't want to be able to skip progress like that.. Also, I'm completely burned out in WoW. It just doesn't appeal to me anymore.

For those claiming that gear s hard to get in GW2, I got to level 80 and got full exotic gear in less than 2 months of extremely casual play. I don't care about the legendaries in that game, because it's only the colour of the weapon that changes. The stats and damage remain the same.

I've been checking out Wildstar. It looks promising, but there's still a while untill that arrives. Also, it just seem to be yet another WoW copy. I think that it will look and feel too much like WoW for me to be drawn to it.

I'm gonna DL Tera when I get home and give it a shot :)

• meadmoonmeadmoon Member UncommonPosts: 1,344
    Hello?!? WoW.
  • sakersaker Member RarePosts: 1,458

Originally posted by HerbinLegend
    I would recommend trying both Darkfall Unholy Wars and Mortal Online, both of which are from the smaller, independent dev sector; both games have a  focus on pvp and clan versus clan with full looting, yet they offer up vastly different game play experiences between the two. Maybe one of them could sate your appetite for something different.  

Ha! good luck getting that crap-storm mortal to even work!

• NewfrNewfr Member UncommonPosts: 133
    Originally posted by Xstyles

As I said, I dislike WoW, mostly because the way you just skip raid content every raid patch

Mate, that what happens in ALL gear progression games. Just why you need to raid old raid dungeons to get outdated gear noone needs now after new addon with new more powerful gear?

Originally posted by Newfr
    Originally posted by Xstyles

As I said, I dislike WoW, mostly because the way you just skip raid content every raid patch

Mate, that what happens in ALL gear progression games. Just why you need to raid old raid dungeons to get outdated gear noone needs now after new addon with new more powerful gear?

It didn't happen in vanilla WoW. I just feel screwed over whenever I grind my butt off to get some gear, then there's a patch and everyone and their grandmother are running around in the same gear with little to no effort.

• AndistotleAndistotle Member UncommonPosts: 124
    Age of conan.. skill-based combat, and gear progression... difficult raids and dungeons as well. amazing game, with 12 different and unque classes.. the game is in it best shape ever now, and is worth a try.
    Originally posted by Andistotle
    Age of conan.. skill-based combat, and gear progression... difficult raids and dungeons as well. amazing game, with 12 different and unque classes.. the game is in it best shape ever now, and is worth a try.

I'll go check it out right now. Thanks :)

Well I might not have made myself clear in the first post. I do not want a game like WoW (as it is now) Where I grind my butt off to get some gear, then the next week, a patch hits and everyone can get the gear by going through a few dungeons.

I don't know your work, but let's say that you've got a pretty good position in your job and you have taken a long and hard education, worked overtime every day just to get in that position... Then some lazy guy, without any education nor any hard work, comes along and gets an equal job with the same salary. Then you will strive to get even better than him, by working even harder, while he just sits on his fat @ss all day.. And eventually, you will get a good raise.. Then 2 months later that same guy gets the same raise, but he hasn't worked any bit for it.

I haven't checked up on all MMOs, since there's a bunch of them. I'm not going back to WoW, since it's a perfect example of the metafor I wrote above. I do not want to wait for the next big thing, because there's never going to be an instant success. every game needs time to develop after launch.

Tbh I don't think that my demands are unreasonable, but it's just not something that reviewers, developers or anyone else mention when I want to read up on a game. That is why I came here. To see if any of the current MMOs had developed into something better that even matched my criteria.