Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why the Defiance hate?

Comments

• BigdaddyxBigdaddyx Member UncommonPosts: 2,039
    Originally posted by fallenlords
    Originally posted by Bigdaddyx

You can write a long essay but it won't matter. People who are having problems with Defiance don't need to compare their experinces with that of yours in order to complain. For you in your mind you were completely justified and same goes for current defiance players.

As far as cherry picking the issues. Those are the most common ones and game breaking issues.And i am one of the players to whom it happened (and i already mentioned it in IGN thread yesterday). It is very easy to confuse people with shills around here though I am pretty sure you ahve been called the same on more than one ocassion.

Didn't say the people having problems with Defiance need to compare their experiences.  As I keep saying I would just like to hear more reasoning behind some of their arguments.  And not see a particular developer pop up nearly every time somebody is sticking the knife in on Defiance.  Because I see a bit of a pattern forming.

And as for your game breaking issues, unable to login is an issue I will grant you.  But missing inventory items and skills being reset are hardly 'game breaking'.  Something a GM could sort out I would imagine.  Free respec on skills by all accounts there if you want it - bit of a result, I spent 7k scrip on that yesterday.

As for me I have never been accused of being a shill, as far as I know,  what about you?  I have been accused of being a troll and I can understand how some of my posts may be considered to lean that way.  But in essence I just speak my mind which gets me into trouble, and I am open about my detest for a certain developer and the reasons.

Takes a long time level up skills. I reached lvl 18 on my LMG which got reset back to 0, same for my roller. Maybe for you it is minor annoyance but it is game breaking for me and many others. I have already sent two tickets for missing items bu they told me that they can not replace the fully moded rare weapons. I had to open atleast 20 tier 3 lock boxes to get the weapons i needed. I am not going to do that all over again.

No wonder this is your attitude towards other problems when you consider it 'minor annoyances'.

• TheOctagonTheOctagon Member UncommonPosts: 411

Part of the problem is the fugly characters. No one wants to play a character who looks like they've been shoved in a dryer with a few cinder block and left to cycle for a couple days.

Another problem is if you've played Rift, you've played Defiance. Same style of gameplay and questing.

Now I'll don my flame retardant suit in preparation for the rampant fanboi'ism to follow.

• BrucyBonusBrucyBonus Member Posts: 220
    Originally posted by TheOctagon

Part of the problem is the fugly characters. No one wants to play a character who looks like they've been shoved in a dryer with a few cinder block and left to cycle for a couple days.

Another problem is if you've played Rift, you've played Defiance. Same style of gameplay and questing.

Now I'll don my flame retardant suit in preparation for the rampant fanboi'ism to follow.

Yeah, I am currently playing as a lady-boy, and can I borrow your suit for those irritating little flame thrower bastards? 

• fallenlordsfallenlords Member UncommonPosts: 683
    Originally posted by Bigdaddy

Takes a long time level up skills. I reached lvl 18 on my LMG which got reset back to 0, same for my roller. Maybe for you it is minor annoyance but it is game breaking for me and many others. I have already sent two tickets for missing items bu they told me that they can not replace the fully moded rare weapons. I had to open atleast 20 tier 3 lock boxes to get the weapons i needed. I am not going to do that all over again.

No wonder this is your attitude towards other problems when you consider it 'minor annoyances'.

Again, not what I consider game breaking issues at all.  Weapons/Vehicle skills being reset is once again a known bug and can be sorted out by a GM.  Missing inventory items is also a known bug and I am sure a GM will replace with comparable weapons of a similar level, perhaps minus the mods.   But gear difference in this game is like fractional, with the odd buff here and there.   It doesn't make much of a noticeable difference at all.   Not like losing a rare weapon in another MMO.   If gear made a significant difference or weapon/vehicle skills had a dramatic impact I would agree with you.  But they don't, so I don't.  Annoying yes, game breaking no.  Especially as both have been acknowledged as known issues.

Again, not what I consider game breaking issues at all.  Weapons/Vehicle skills being reset is once again a known bug and can be sorted out by a GM.  Missing inventory items is also a known bug and I am sure a GM will replace with comparable weapons of a similar level, perhaps minus the mods.   But gear difference in this game is like fractional, with the odd buff here and there.   It doesn't make much of a noticeable difference at all.   Not like losing a rare weapon in another MMO.   If gear made a significant difference or weapon/vehicle skills had a dramatic impact I would agree with you.  But they don't, so I don't.  Annoying yes, game breaking no.  Especially as both have been acknowledged as known issues.

I really don't care if you consider it a game breaking issue or not but  to lose all my 18 skills on LMG and roller and losing two of my rare weapons is game breaking for me. And i think you missed the part where i wrote that GM has made it clear that they won't replace my weapons. And yes weapon skills do make a big difference because that is the progression in the game. A LMG equipped  at lvl 1 is no where close to  LMG equipped at lvl 18. And it is no walk in the park to level up your weapon skills in this game . I wonder if you even play the game because you are talking nonsense. 

• SirBalinSirBalin Member UncommonPosts: 1,300
    Originally posted by Daranar

I recently bought Defiance on GMG for $33.   Seriously good price, go get it.   Anyway, I just started playing this morning until server update right now.   I really don't understand all the hate against the game.    This is seriously a very good enjoyable game.   I'm sure as with ANY themepark, it will run out of content and possibly fast.   However, they are saying there will be some serious DLC action coming.   But other than that, why hate?   To me it is a great mix between Borderlands and Gears of War in an MMO.   

Yes, it is a console/PC game and so the social aspect is significantly diminished from other PC-Only MMOs.   Most people you try to chat to, don't chat back (either they are dills or on an XBOX or PS3).   But it is clearly a different kind of game, one that I am so far enjoying emensly.  I think most people's problem is they went into it with an expectation in mind instead of going into to have some serious fun!   Recognize what it is.  It's not a competitor with Call of Duty, nor with World of Warcraft.   It is really a fairly unique game and so far a good bit of emphasis on exploration.   I for one am having a great time cruisin in my roller finding little enemy camps and trackin down those side-missions.   Plus with the T.V. show, they really hit my lore bone.   Not only can you get into the lore in-game (with the story missions it really helps dive in) but also on the TV show.  I love a game I can really get into the world of and this is definately one of em.

People seriously need to stop hating on games and go into a game with a fresh state of mind, one that is ready for fun and adventure.   Remember when gamers used to be open to new worlds?   Thriving on new stories?  And always seeking fun and adventure in every new game?    Man, how we have become jaded and snobby.

Seriously tho for $33, stop reading idiots reviews (like mine) and go try it for yourself WITH an open mind and eagerness to explore a new earth.   Whatever you do, don't go into it expecting the best MMORPG of all time (that game died when Sony released Planes of Power for EQ :P )   but do go in expecting to explore and have fun shooting up random crap :)

FPS pve game...nuff said, fail...

Incognito
    www.incognito-gaming.us
    "You're either with us or against us"

• JeroKaneJeroKane Member EpicPosts: 6,956

The weapon dissapearance bug is happening for nearly 3 friggin weeks! And they still can't manage to fix it!

Players have already pinpointed it to the mod system .... and instead of dissabling the mod system temporary until a fix has been found.... they just keep silent and let it continue on happening. Unnecessarily overloading the CS department, that has already a huge backlog!

The whole chat system is als still a non-functional joke! An MMO with no proper working chat system! /facepalm

And this we can continue on ignoring too? (has already been a ton of topics on it and it continues on and keeps getting better):

http://forums.defiance.com/showthread.php?44914-Hackers-pissing-me-off

Have a nice day. This game is doomed. Sorry, but the moment they coded something like weapon damage in the client and allowed easy hacks like these to happen. With ZERO anti-cheat messures in place!

This game is starting to make "All Points Bulletin" look good. lol.

This whole game smells amateurism! It has no chance. Heck, I think the biggest irony of all, is that the TV show will most likely outlive the game.

Can't believe I wasted 60 bucks on this mediocre crap game.

Seems I can add TRION to my list of Studios to avoid in the future. /shrug

• IsturiIsturi Member Posts: 1,509

I really don't care if you consider it a game breaking issue or not but  to lose all my 18 skills on LMG and roller and losing two of my rare weapons is game breaking for me. And i think you missed the part where i wrote that GM has made it clear that they won't replace my weapons. And yes weapon skills do make a big difference because that is the progression in the game. A LMG equipped  at lvl 1 is no where close to  lmg esquiiped at lvl 18. I wonder if you even play the game because you are talking nonsense. 

All these opinions are fun to read. TYimage

I really don't care if you consider it a game breaking issue or not but  to lose all my 18 skills on LMG and roller and losing two of my rare weapons is game breaking for me. And i think you missed the part where i wrote that GM has made it clear that they won't replace my weapons. And yes weapon skills do make a big difference because that is the progression in the game. A LMG equipped  at lvl 1 is no where close to  LMG equipped at lvl 18. And it is no walk in the park to level up your weapon skills in this game . I wonder if you even play the game because you are talking nonsense. 

You wrote to a GM, so you mean you opened a ticket, and he stated he wouldn't replace the weapons.  Seems odd, I opened a ticket for missing pre-order items and bang items in my account with no fuss or hassle.  Heard of other people losing their weapon/vehicle skills, again who have just opened a ticket and had their values reset.

As for weapon skills I am starting from scratch with the boss Nim because LMG's, Assault Rifles and Sniper Rifles are of no use whatsoever.   I need a BMG or something to take him down which I haven't leveled at all.  While if I had leveled up the required weapons it would help a little, it's not going to have a dramatic effect if  I am picking up a weapon type for the first time. My understanding of weapon stats was there was deliberately not too much of a gap, so that players of different levels could play together with no issues.
    Originally posted by Isturi

These guys play TSW and are complaining about the quality of Defiance. I wouldn't take too much heed of their opinions.

• IsturiIsturi Member Posts: 1,509

These guys play TSW and are complaining about the quality of Defiance. I wouldn't take too much heed of their opinions.

Thats why they are fun to read. I mean this thread is old and people still seem to want ot make the same ol point over and over. Not even sure what it acompishes?

• GinazGinaz Member RarePosts: 2,454
    Originally posted by ShakyMo
    More indifference than hate. Read up on it, instance this, instance that, stopped reading.

This is a complete and total falsehood.  You will spend well over 90% of your time playing in the open world.  The only times you will encounter instances is with co-op missions (think dungeons) and when your main story takes you into a place like an underground bunker.

Is a man not entitled to the herp of his derp?

Remember, I live in a world where juggalos and yugioh players are real things.

• GinazGinaz Member RarePosts: 2,454

I find TSW to be fun just like I find Defiance fun.  There's no need to trash other games when trying to defend a game you like.

Is a man not entitled to the herp of his derp?

Remember, I live in a world where juggalos and yugioh players are real things.

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440

Today I learned that weapons (and skills) disappearing is not a game breaking issue, even if you can't get them back.  The more you know........!

Someone let me know when that issue is sorted, I know it's a B2P game but I don't feel like wasting my time just to have the boogey man loot my inventory.

You wrote to a GM, so you mean you opened a ticket, and he stated he wouldn't replace the weapons.  Seems odd, I opened a ticket for missing pre-order items and bang items in my account with no fuss or hassle.  Heard of other people losing their weapon/vehicle skills, again who have just opened a ticket and had their values reset.

As for weapon skills I am starting from scratch with the boss Nim because LMG's, Assault Rifles and Sniper Rifles are of no use whatsoever.   I need a BMG or something to take him down which I haven't leveled at all.  While if I had leveled up the required weapons it would help a little, it's not going to have a dramatic effect if  I am picking up a weapon type for the first time. My understanding of weapon stats was there was deliberately not too much of a gap, so that players of different levels could play together with no issues.

Could you direct me to the link where people got their lost weapons refunded and skills reset? missing pre order item is not same as weapon disappearing from your inventory after the patch.

So you don't have one weapon skill upto lvl 18 or 20 and still arguing about how much difference it does or does not make? sigh..

I don't why you quoting the reply directed to me by Isturi and using 'these guys'. I haven't played TSW in months and probably never will. Or this was another of your cheap attempts to deflect the heat from Defiance towards anythign FC related? typical i guess. 

Could you direct me to the link where people got their lost weapons refunded and skills reset? missing pre order item is not same as weapon disappearing from your inventory after the patch.

So you don't have one weapon skill upto lvl 18 or 20 and still arguing about how much difference it does or does not make? sigh..

I don't why you quoting the reply directed to me by Isturi and using 'these guys'. I haven't played TSW in months and probably never will. Or this was another of your cheap attempts to deflect the heat from Defiance towards anythign FC related? typical i guess. 

I was just stating to Isturi the common factor about the majority of people giving Defiance crap, is association.

As for weapon levels I have no idea what I am up to, because it doesn't make much of a difference.  My EGO is about 800 or something I think, could be 900 now I don't pay attention to that either.   I don't pay much attention because it doesn't matter.  I check to see if I unlock a perk slot now and then, I change weapons if I max out the level on one to continue earning XP.  But none of that stuff matters in Defiance.  If it did I would be keeping an eye on it.

As for missing items I am not going to hunt down links, missing inventory items is a known bug. It has been mentioned in the community updates.     Are you really at a state where you are finished with weapon leveling, where you have decided on your final loadout.  Probably not, you will continue to level and find weapons with better stats.  

A post on here stated about the vehicle level issue and getting the skill reset after reporting it.  Again big whoop, bit of extra boost, a few updated stats.  Yeah totally game breaking. If am level 1 on rollers my world would collapse, I couldn't squash as many hellbugs...

You are talking as if it takes you effort to level these things up, they level in the background with no effort at all. All you have to do is play the game. 

Originally posted by Ginaz

I find TSW to be fun just like I find Defiance fun.  There's no need to trash other games when trying to defend a game you like.

Not trying to defend the game, trying to understand why somebody would get their knickers in enough of a twist to complain about it. 

But as for TSW.  There really is no defence, it's a dull and boring game and not even fun. It has guns and it has Zombies, yet it is still dull. Even The Walking Dead Survival Instinct managed to make that aspect fun. A below average game if there ever was one, and a game that was rushed out the door.  Fair enough you like it, it must be nice to be part of a niche crowd is all I will say.  Surprisingly most of which seem to turn up on the Defiance forum giving the game crap.  I would think they would have their heads in issue 6  The Indiana Jones Clone and the Pyramids of Despair or whatever is the latest monthly installment is, to be that bothered with Defiance. But I guess TSW can't be still holding their interest.

• strangiato2112strangiato2112 Member CommonPosts: 1,538

OP is crazy if he thinks that Defiance is getting a lot of hate.

Compare it to SWTOR.  SWTOR took massive hate at launch because it was a huge budget game from a hated publisher that had great expectations.  Defiance, while still very large budget is nowhere near SWTOR, but it had moidest expectations from a company everyone fawns over.

Game quality wise you could argue the case for either one.  Launching with the chat system Defiance had is inexcusable, so of course people are going to harp on things like that.  But people generally arent going out of their way to bash it, which is because compared to a game like SWTOR there are less of these threads made.

The more threads like this that spring up (or threads talking about how great it is and everyone should be playing it), the more hate it will start getting.  Since most people that like Defiance are honest about the problems, it generates minimal hate.

I was just stating to Isturi the common factor about the majority of people giving Defiance crap, is association.

As for weapon levels I have no idea what I am up to, because it doesn't make much of a difference.  My EGO is about 800 or something I think, could be 900 now I don't pay attention to that either.   I don't pay much attention because it doesn't matter.  I check to see if I unlock a perk slot now and then, I change weapons if I max out the level on one to continue earning XP.  But none of that stuff matters in Defiance.  If it did I would be keeping an eye on it.

As for missing items I am not going to hunt down links, missing inventory items is a known bug. It has been mentioned in the community updates.     Are you really at a state where you are finished with weapon leveling, where you have decided on your final loadout.  Probably not, you will continue to level and find weapons with better stats.  

A post on here stated about the vehicle level issue and getting the skill reset after reporting it.  Again big whoop, bit of extra boost, a few updated stats.  Yeah totally game breaking. If am level 1 on rollers my world would collapse, I couldn't squash as many hellbugs...

You are talking as if it takes you effort to level these things up, they level in the background with no effort at all. All you have to do is play the game. 

You were arguing just for that sake of it even though you have no idea how much difference a lvl 20 weapon skill makes  in comparison to lvl 1 skill.  So do me favor don't tell me how much effort it takes to get weapons to level 20 when you haven't even gone beyond lvl 10 in any weapon.  All the weapon skills and roller skills, gold and silver medals etc are tied to pursuits and are no way easy to complete. Losing all that means losing progress in pursuits too.

As far as replacing lost rare weapons and resetting skills after the patch screw up, i couldn't find any such link on official forums.(no surprise there either).

I am done arguing with you though..i should have known better that i am arguing with someone who doesn't even know what he is talking about.

Originally posted by Eir_S

Today I learned that weapons (and skills) disappearing is not a game breaking issue, even if you can't get them back.  The more you know........!

Someone let me know when that issue is sorted, I know it's a B2P game but I don't feel like wasting my time just to have the boogey man loot my inventory.

I know right? ;) i suggest keep any eye out on official forums..but if i were you i would wait atleast another 2 to 3 months. In its current state game isn't worth the price it is asking for.  Another database error happened tonight and people yet again reporting loss of ego skills and roll backs. It has become a dail thing around here.

http://forums.defiance.com/showthread.php?45728-An-Honest-Message-to-the-Developers/page3

Try neverwinter on 30th if you are just looking for something new..that is where i am headed till this game gets stable. I enjoy iblowing stuff up but losing my skills and rare items was the last straw for me.

• JeroKaneJeroKane Member EpicPosts: 6,956

People resort to these kind of tactics, when they can't win the argument.

Originally posted by JeroKane

He is under the impression that people play only one MMO at a time and should form some kind of allegiance or join camps of whatever MMO they are attached to.

What he doesn't realise is that people are capable of playing multiple MMOS these days (thanks to B2P and F2P revolution) and if they they have issues with one MMO out of 4 they are playing doesn't mean they have an agenda against that MMO. This is such a backward thinking to attack someone on basis of what other games they have played or are currently playing and use it as an excuse to deflect attention from the issue at hand. He would have very hard time declaring me a rival though since i am playing 3 MMOS and soon with Neverwinter it will be 4.. lol 

It is against TOS to attack someone like that though and he is going that route now because he has no valid argument left.

You were arguing just sake of it even though you have no idea how much difference a lvl 20 weapon skill makes  in comparison to lvl 1 skill.  So do me favor don't tell me how much effort it takes to get weapons to level 20 when you haven't even gone beyond lvl 10 in any weapon. As far as replacing lost rare weapons and resetting skills after the patch screw up, i couldn't find any such link on official forums. Stop making crap up only because you want to defend honor of Trion.

Not defending Trion at all, just find it surprising a guy that likes TSW is a having a hard time with such trivial issues.  I would of thought you would be use to putting up with sub-standard development while playing TSW and that Defiance in effect would be a breath of fresh air - missing items or not.  Fun game, few bugs, but overall nice launch (CEO hasn't run off with the family silver) and the game is selling well by all accounts.  Nice link to a TV show, bit of innovation there to boot.   If some of the biggest game breaking issues are skills being reset, inventory items missing - I don't think Trion are doing a bad job at all with a newly launched MMO that has been simultaneously released on three gaming platforms.

Originally posted by JeroKane

Didn't think we were having an argument thought we were having a discussion.  As mentioned to bigdaddy what's his name, if people have managed to put up with the sub standard quality of TSW I find it hard to believe they are bitching about Defiance.  Especially considering the scope of Defiance, compared to a single platform MMO.  As mentioned to Isturi there seems to be a common denominator in a lot the people giving the game grief.  But you can make connections with things that aren't there.   Like for example I doubt you have ever played TSW and feel the need to come here and bitch about Defiance in a bit of reciprocal tit for tat.  Sometimes I see things that don't exist.  It's the fault of having an overactive imagination.

• VyethVyeth Member UncommonPosts: 1,461
    Originally posted by Boneserino
    I would suggest watching the Angry Joe review.  I think he gives it a fair score when he says 5 out of ten but the possibility of improving.   And he definitely agrees that the gunplay is fun.

+1

Agreed..

• RemyVorenderRemyVorender Member RarePosts: 3,991
    Ya i'm not sure why either. It's actually a fun game.

Joined - July 2004

This discussion has been closed.