Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Should I buy GW2?

Comments

• zastrophzastroph Member Posts: 242

imo, it is a waste of money, 80% or more is unplayable!

50% pvp/wvw (where it is very one sided, you enter and die almost straight away because most of the players are all out to kill you and very little friendlies to help)

20% dungeons (every patch they release make these harder and harder, they are unplayable in form except story or if your lucky enough to find other players (very rare) that know what there doing (almost impossible). Less and less people are posting messages looking for groups!

10% crafting (crafting items is a waste of time, the sale value will not make it viable)

The 20% that is playable is some of the pve (not all because there are times that you need help to kill things, and no other players are around to help). The rest is very easy to solo!

This is almost 100% unplayable but if you dont get bored easy then give it a go!

If they got ride of the retarded char nerfing where the lvl of your char is reduced based on where you are, you might be more inclined to do more of the pve (as you could go back and finish contnet that was no possible when you were that lvl), but this will never happen, neither will making the dungeons playable! Also drops in pve are rarely worth picking up (they did have it set to give better drops, but are now forcing you to buy items through the gem store to make better equipment!(a bit of corporate greed setting in))!

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440
    Originally posted by BirdzThaWord
    No it's not a trick question. I had heard that engineer was bad so maybe that was all but I wanted to know if I should get it or if you guys think a better game is coming. I also did try Tera but I hated how you can't move while attacking.

If you like moving while attacking, you could potentially love any of the classes in GW2 (other than the Engi obviously).

• SephirosoSephiroso Member RarePosts: 2,020
    Originally posted by zastroph

50% pvp/wvw (where it is very one sided, you enter and die almost straight away because most of the players are all out to kill you and very little friendlies to help)

20% dungeons (every patch they release make these harder and harder, they are unplayable in form except story or if your lucky enough to find other players (very rare) that know what there doing (almost impossible). Less and less people are posting messages looking for groups!

10% crafting (crafting items is a waste of time, the sale value will not make it viable)

The 20% that is playable is some of the pve (not all because there are times that you need help to kill things, and no other players are around to help). The rest is very easy to solo!

This is almost 100% unplayable but if you dont get bored easy then give it a go!

If they got ride of the retarded char nerfing where the lvl of your char is reduced based on where you are, you might be more inclined to do more of the pve (as you could go back and finish contnet that was no possible when you were that lvl), but this will never happen, neither will making the dungeons playable! Also drops in pve are rarely worth picking up (they did have it set to give better drops, but are now forcing you to buy items through the gem store to make better equipment!(a bit of corporate greed setting in))!

nice necro

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722

I would recommend GW2 to anyone who loves mmorpgs. It is totally worth the money.

However, if you only like mmos with heavy focus on holy trinity then it may not be for you.

I personally love this game and to me its the best mmo since WoW. Highly recommend it over anything else out there.

Like every other mmo out there GW2 also has room for improvements. No mmos are free of flaws but most of them have a lot more flaws than this one. In my very personal opinion.

OP, look for different reviews and gameplay videos, and compare different opinions with what you see. Then make a decision. If you let a forum decide for you you will end up playing a lot of garbage games because the majorty of people who decide for others are the haters and trolls. Normal people will advise to check the game, reviews, etc and a free trial if its available.

• jmcdermottukjmcdermottuk Member RarePosts: 1,571

Ok you didn't say you thought the engi was bad, you said it was boring, a boring MMO experience. So, ignore me, ignore everyone else. Listen to yourself. You found the game boring, not the class, the game.

My advice, don't buy it. Based only on the fact that you found it boring. That's all the reason you need. At least not until you can get a trial key or something, then you could try out the thief to see if it was any better. I don't think it's fair for anyone to suggest you drop $60 to find that out.

And before anyone calls me a hater, I own and play GW2.

• SeariasSearias Member UncommonPosts: 743

Hello, I came to you guys for help regarding whether or not I should join you all in GW2 or wait for a better game. I guess I'll give you what I look for in a game and see if you guys think this is the game for me or not. I enjoy fast paced mmo's where the gameplay is very interactive. I've played many mmos and I disliked many of them and the most recent being WoW and Tera. The gameplay that I've enjoyed the concept of was Vindictus which had a very interactive gameplay and had a lot of potential but it wasn't really there. And i guess I should mention that I have in fact played GW2 before on a free weekend and beta in which I played Engineer and it was one of the most boring mmo experiences I've ever had. I come to you guys though wondering if it was just the class that was not meant for me because I see thief gameplay which looks pretty interesting, or if I should wait for a game like Black Desert to come out. Thank you.

If you didn't enjoy the game the first time you played it, you are not going to enjoy it now.

<InvalidTag type="text/javascript" src="http://www.gamebreaker.tv/cce/e.js"></script><div class="cce_pane" content-slug="which-world-of-warcraft-villain-are-you" ctype="quiz" d="http://www.gamebreaker.tv"></div>;

• Zeus.CMZeus.CM Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,788
    Great game, specially for casuals, but there is things to look forward even if you are hardcore. Great price for the amount of content you can get out of it. Game is not super special in any of its segments (except great questing through dynamic events), but its the best All-Around mmo today.
  • SephirosoSephiroso Member RarePosts: 2,020
    Originally posted by Searias
    Hello, I came to you guys for help regarding whether or not I should join you all in GW2 or wait for a better game. I guess I'll give you what I look for in a game and see if you guys think this is the game for me or not. I enjoy fast paced mmo's where the gameplay is very interactive. I've played many mmos and I disliked many of them and the most recent being WoW and Tera. The gameplay that I've enjoyed the concept of was Vindictus which had a very interactive gameplay and had a lot of potential but it wasn't really there. And i guess I should mention that I have in fact played GW2 before on a free weekend and beta in which I played Engineer and it was one of the most boring mmo experiences I've ever had. I come to you guys though wondering if it was just the class that was not meant for me because I see thief gameplay which looks pretty interesting, or if I should wait for a game like Black Desert to come out. Thank you.

If you didn't enjoy the game the first time you played it, you are not going to enjoy it now.

this discussion took place like 19 days ago, im pretty sure he's made up his mind by now. it was only thanks to a stupid necro that people are posting again

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

• aesperusaesperus Member UncommonPosts: 5,135

Just watch this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HzFfO_yyxtI

Going off your post OP, you should enjoy GW2. However, you've already stated you've tried it and didn't like it. As described in the link above, the game does require a certain mentallity to enjoy, and the game does absolutely nothing to help players adopt that mentallity. Even worse, since the game tries to appeal to an outside audience it can even trick you into thinking it's an entirely different game (Which is common).

Essentially, and this isn't anything new to fans of the game, the game struggles to overcome a massive hurtle in MMOs atm. They try to overcome the WoW-mindset that is predominate in this genre. By this I mean the need for guided questing, the need for a gear grind, the need for a trinity, etc. etc. etc.

I will say this, though. Hating on the game seems to be popular atm, but this is hands down the best value you can get for the money (plus it's on sale). A 1 time buy that's an MMO, with 1000s of hours of content, more customization than almost every other MMO (champions online probably has it beat, but not by all that much).

- Just don't trust the default settings. The biggest problem (and strength) of this game is it offers a WIDE variety of gameplay. Just don't assume the default one is right for you.

PvP is not 50% of the game's content....... so that's completely false, despite your absolute worst experiences.  Even then, joining a guild for WvW or, you know, communicating with a team instead of running around like malfunctioning golems like I see most of the time I join a SPvP battle, works wonders.

Have you tried http://www.gw2lfg.com?  Seriously, every single time I look at this site, the ratio of Explorable mode to Story mode isn't even remotely close.  In fact, I have a hard time finding groups for Story modes, anything else is easy.  You clearly have not visited this site though, going by your post.

And dungeons getting harder?  So?  They're hard sometimes, most of the time I can clear them with a group on the first try without anyone dropping.  That doesn't mean they're unplayable.

This is the only one I agree with.  Crafting is almost entirely useless in this game (except for Cooking - Food buffs rule).

What items are you forced to buy in the Cash Shop?  And how is it corporate greed when you can pay for gems with in-game gold.  Seriously, GW2's Cash Shop was proven to be absolutely free if you put in the time over a year ago, I don't know why you're even attempting this angle.  Even character transfers, something that costs 25 bucks or more on WoW, is free on GW2.  You want to point out corporate greed, pointing at ANet is just a joke.

You're welcome to be upset about your personal experiences, but almost everything you posted is misleading and not factual.

• fantasyfreak112fantasyfreak112 Member Posts: 499
    As far as the amount of value and content you gain for your money it will be hard beat GW2. If you're looking for GW2 to replace your current MMO you'll be disappointed. It's more like a single player game with bots for other players that just run by and help clear an event then run off with not a word exchanged in the process. Play it like you would Skyrim.
  • ElderknightElderknight Member UncommonPosts: 322

yes, played gw2 500 hrs + and still playing.

• PAL-18PAL-18 Member UncommonPosts: 844

why ask these forums ,because heres the most famous accurate method ,everybody uses this

heres my guide how to get honest answers "which game i should play" its free and easy .

Download Tera and ask their global chat if you should play GW2 and what do they think about it

then dl  AoC

then wow trial

then EQ2

then your favorite mmo

then  rift

then 3 randoms

then just count ,its not fast method but its allmost reliable! (like these forums,trust me)

So, did ESO have a successful launch? Yes, yes it did.By Ryan Getchell on April 02, 2014.
    **On the radar: http://www.cyberpunk.net/ **

• MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196
    I dont belive you
  • FelixMajorFelixMajor Member RarePosts: 865

It's going on sale anyway so if money isn't an issue for you I would say yeah.  You can at least buy it for a low price and you would get your money worth of entertainment at least.  I've been playing it casually since beta and I always have fun.  Some sessions are 15 mins, sometimes I will find myself totally immersed and play for 3+ hours.

The game can go boths ways as far as depth and interation.  It seems to me the more you feel like putting into it the more you get out of it.  If you want to be a casual player, then the game will in return cater to your style.  If you want to be hardcore and totally be immersed, then the game will immerse you!

As for the engineer class, yes it is boring.  I personally find it to be a bulky, clunky, lame class to play.  Theif is very interative as you must always be jumping in and out of combat.  I would say theif and elementalist/necro are the most interactive classes.  Gaurdian can be if you are playing more of a support role. Warrior can be a ton of fun just from all the weapon combos you can use!

I say go for it man, it is a good game overall!

Originally posted by Arskaaa
    "when players learned tacticks in dungeon/raids, its bread".

• MaelzraelMaelzrael Member UncommonPosts: 405

I have 800+ hours logged on gw2, 350 of that on one character(mesmer) alone, Personally its absolutly the best 60$ i've ever spent on a game, and I've been gaming for 22 out of my 27 years on this earth.

I recommend going to Youtube, typeing in Angry Joe Guild Wars 2 review, and watching that to see if you think the game will appeal to you.

For me it's a must buy, but I have a 7 month old, so the Ultra casual nature of the game is super appealing. The only part of the game that is not very casual imho is the Dungeons, they can take some time and some getting used to, they are also really fun in a good group and really frustrating in a fail group, so bear that in mind.

Good luck, hope to see you there.

• ESSKAESSKA Member UncommonPosts: 107

With the way people are on these forums i would never ask anyone here for that kind of advice.

• aesperusaesperus Member UncommonPosts: 5,135
    Originally posted by fantasyfreak112
    As far as the amount of value and content you gain for your money it will be hard beat GW2. If you're looking for GW2 to replace your current MMO you'll be disappointed. It's more like a single player game with bots for other players that just run by and help clear an event then run off with not a word exchanged in the process. Play it like you would Skyrim.

I'm guessing you haven't played in a while. Most of the botting has been dealt with.

I can't speak for the low pop servers, but in Tier1-3 there's a pretty healthy population that's constantly refreshing. People leave the game all the time, but there are also new players all the time to replace them.

• NitthNitth Member UncommonPosts: 3,904

Don't do it.

research research and research some more.

Don't listen to the arguments of "its only $50 its a steal' fact is at the end of the day if you don't like it your out of pocket.

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

• PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048

Sounding how you like vindictus and found Tera lack-luster in that department, your not going to really like GW2. Its less refined then tera for its combat and its further from Vindictus then Tera for sure, feeling much more floating and more 'WoW' style to put it poorly.

Considering you tried it before though and were bored, yeah, don't do it. Your experience isn't going to change in the game at all, its one of those games you can tell early on whether you like it or not, it doesn't really become that much different at all as you get further along.  I'd recomend against is just by your input.

• Soki123Soki123 Member RarePosts: 2,558
    Simple answer, no. I liked it at first, but realized I wasted $60.
    Originally posted by Eir_S

PvP is not 50% of the game's content....... so that's completely false, despite your absolute worst experiences.  Even then, joining a guild for WvW or, you know, communicating with a team instead of running around like malfunctioning golems like I see most of the time I join a SPvP battle, works wonders.

Taking in to account that (as I already stated, some ares of pve are unplayable due to your char being nerfed and not being able to find other players to help) it actually is more like 99% of the game once you get to lvl 80, there is very little left to do except pvp of some kind (the only reason for doing dungeons over and over (boring) is to get the tokens to get better gear).

Have you tried http://www.gw2lfg.com?  Seriously, every single time I look at this site, the ratio of Explorable mode to Story mode isn't even remotely close.  In fact, I have a hard time finding groups for Story modes, anything else is easy.  You clearly have not visited this site though, going by your post.

And dungeons getting harder?  So?  They're hard sometimes, most of the time I can clear them with a group on the first try without anyone dropping.  That doesn't mean they're unplayable.

You must be one of those almost impossible to find players that knows what they are doing!

This is the only one I agree with.  Crafting is almost entirely useless in this game (except for Cooking - Food buffs rule).

If they got rid of the retarded char nerfing where the lvl of your char is reduced based on where you are, you might be more inclined to do more of the pve (as you could go back and finish contnet that was no possible when you were that lvl), but this will never happen, neither will making the dungeons playable! Also drops in pve are rarely worth picking up (they did have it set to give better drops, but are now forcing you to buy items through the gem store to make better equipment!(a bit of corporate greed setting in))!

What items are you forced to buy in the Cash Shop?  And how is it corporate greed when you can pay for gems with in-game gold.  Seriously, GW2's Cash Shop was proven to be absolutely free if you put in the time over a year ago, I don't know why you're even attempting this angle.  Even character transfers, something that costs 25 bucks or more on WoW, is free on GW2.  You want to point out corporate greed, pointing at ANet is just a joke.

You're welcome to be upset about your personal experiences, but almost everything you posted is misleading and not factual.

Last time I looked, character transfers cost 1800 gems which amount to $18. Items are required to use the forge, which is an alternative to doing dungeons!

I did start by saying "IMO"

@ zastroph, since I'm not color coding my life around this discussion :p

1.) You stated that the game wasn't worth $60 in your opinion, you said the reason was because it was 80% unplayable.  You stated the latter as if it were fact.  I pointed out how it isn't.  It's not even close to 80%.  How is this even an argument when people are playing 100% of the game as I write this?

2.) Your preference regarding down-leveling is just that, a preference.  Maybe some people don't want to get to max level and be able to one shot entire events because of it.  It's not a poor design decision nor is it "retarded", it just isn't your style.  People who enjoy outleveling things in WoW probably won't like it, but here's a free tip - you are still more powerful than things your own level while down-leveling if you've got max level gear.  Just not bosses.  And you can solo Champions if you know what you're doing.

3.) You still didn't answer me how you're forced to buy anything.  The GW2 cash shop doesn't force you to spend money in order to transfer to another server.  Fact.  It doesn't force you to spend money on anything except the game.  Fact.  I'm not even trying to be rude here, but maybe you didn't know you can grind in-game money in order to buy CS products and services.  ALL of them.  Well now you do.  Nexon could learn from ANet here.

4.) The game, like most games, is 100% playable.  You just need to get better at it.

Originally posted by Eir_S

@ zastroph, since I'm not color coding my life around this discussion :p (thats fine, you started using color and bold print!)

1.) You stated that the game wasn't worth $60 in your opinion, you said the reason was because it was 80% unplayable.  You stated the latter as if it were fact.  I pointed out how it isn't.  It's not even close to 80%.  How is this even an argument when people are playing 100% of the game as I write this?

I did not say anything about $60, I said it was not worth buying! My last post stated that it is 99% unplayable once you get to lvl 80! If others are playing 100% of the game then they dont mind the fact of being dead 99% of the time, where as I do. The whole challange of playing is to keep playing not be killed (and run of to get repairs ever other battle)!

2.) Your preference regarding down-leveling is just that, a preference.  Maybe some people don't want to get to max level and be able to one shot entire events because of it.  It's not a poor design decision nor is it "retarded", it just isn't your style.  People who enjoy outleveling things in WoW probably won't like it, but here's a free tip - you are still more powerful than things your own level while down-leveling if you've got max level gear.  Just not bosses.  And you can solo Champions if you know what you're doing.

I have 7 lvl 80 chars (maybe I did get my moneys worth, but when I pay money I want to be able to use the whole thing, not just some of it!), which I used in game money to buy the extra slots. The only class that I have been able to solo champions with is the mesmer, but this is NOT all champions, jsut the ones that don't pull you in and 1 hit kill you (it is these that I am refering to when I say pve is unplayable), the rest are too busy trying to kill your clones to kill you!

3.) You still didn't answer me how you're forced to buy anything.  The GW2 cash shop doesn't force you to spend money in order to transfer to another server.  Fact.  It doesn't force you to spend money on anything except the game.  Fact.  I'm not even trying to be rude here, but maybe you didn't know you can grind in-game money in order to buy CS products and services.  ALL of them.  Well now you do.  Nexon could learn from ANet here.

I did answer, you need to buy items to use the forge! Although I do agree that if I did not spend all of my in game money buying more character slots, I could use it to buy the required items!

4.) The game, like most games, is 100% playable.  You just need to get better at it.

A lvl 80 char being 1 hit dead by a lvl 10 pve champ is just pathetic no matter how you look at it!

Edited to make it more readable!

• ThorkuneThorkune Member UncommonPosts: 1,969
    Although I don't play it anymore, I feel that I got my money's worth.