Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Poll - would you prefer ESO to be more like the series and a PvE sandbox only?

Comments

• JasonJJasonJ Member Posts: 395
    Originally posted by ShakyMo
    It doesn't have "a huge pvp focus"

They've probably spent MORE time on pve than pvp.

Daoc was a 50/50 pve/pvp game.

You guys are making out like this game us darkfall or planetside it something.

[mod edit]

Complete BS.

The BASE game is built AROUND PvP.

Closed off faction lands with set races so as not to confuse people who the enemey are while funnelling ALL PvE to the CENTER PvP lands.

THE ENTIRE GAME IS BUILT AROUND THEIR PVP IDEA which is RvRvR.

There is no amount of spin you can put on it to make it NOT a PvP focused game with its current build...hell, even the games trailer is 100% about the 3 faction PvP!

• NeherunNeherun Member UncommonPosts: 280
    Originally posted by immodium
    Originally posted by GrayGhost79
    Tkreep

Please explain how rvr games "take away adventure"

Have you actually played daoc?

It has 99% the same pve as early EQ (it doesn't have the wow style instanced stuff of modern EQ though)

That made me chuckle considering how many have complained about TESO being more DAoC than TES. 

DAoC - Had about 250k players at its peak 

Skyrim - Sold 7 million copies in the first week 

Oblivion - Sold around 5 million

I would take a guess and say that most TES fans looking forward to TESO have not played DAoC. 

But over 80% of TES fans are console gamers. Unless they own a PC most TES fans won't be playing ESO.

Of course they are, all over 80% of them.

• someforumguysomeforumguy Member RarePosts: 4,088

I guess RvRvR is the new bandwagon that developers like to jump on. But no worries, they will release some kneejerk PVE content updates very soon after release when players start to post about how they are done with the game because there is nothing to do.

If only they chose a more twitchbased combat system..

• EntinerintEntinerint Member UncommonPosts: 868

I get why people think ESO should be a PvE sandbox based on the SP TES games.

However, I think TES is more akin to a PvP sandbox, or more pertinent: a PvP SandPark.  There are quests and storylines that are usually absent in sandbox.

As for PvP, one of the hallmarks of TES games is that you can attack anyone, anywhere at any time and take all the stuff on their body if you kill them.

It would make MORE sense to have this apply to both NPCs and Players in game.

Remember also they would have to add in-game justice systems to make sure it wasn't a massive gank-fest.  Fines of gold, experience, skillpoints, jailtime, and even, permadeath maybe in a public execution if you are caught being super evil.

While NONE of those things would make the game POPULAR, it would certainly make a lot more SENSE than what they have now.

• GaeluianGaeluian Member UncommonPosts: 114
    If this game is centered around pvp, it WILL fail. There's just not enough out there that really like pvp. I hate it myself.
  • ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Originally posted by JasonJ

[mod edit]

Complete BS.

Closed off faction lands with set races so as not to confuse people who the enemey are while funnelling ALL PvE to the CENTER PvP lands.

There is no amount of spin you can put on it to make it NOT a PvP focused game with its current build...hell, even the games trailer is 100% about the 3 faction PvP!

Theres no amount of spin you can put on it to turn it into some frikin everquest clone where you can prance around showing off your latest raid set, while the crafting and pvp peasants run behind you eating your scraps.

DAOC is not a PVP focused game.  Its one of a handful of games that focus on PVE and PVP EQUALLY.

Darkfall, EvE, planetside, warhammer are pvp focused games

EQ, SWG, wow, swtor, rift, tsw, aoc, eq2, coh etc... are PVE focuses games.

Hopefully this game will at least copy one great feature from DAOC, being fair to ALL playstyles.

but i suspect TESO will be less PVP focused than DAOC.  Mainly because they have a bunch of publisher pressure going "be more like wow that sold 10 million", and like all MMOs in beta it is currently getting a lot of squeckiest wheel that gets the oil whine from the hardcore PVE people who infest every MMO beta and turn the games towards the worse. probably end up a 75% PVE / 25% PVP game

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Originally posted by Entinerint

I get why people think ESO should be a PvE sandbox based on the SP TES games.

However, I think TES is more akin to a PvP sandbox, or more pertinent: a PvP SandPark.  There are quests and storylines that are usually absent in sandbox.

As for PvP, one of the hallmarks of TES games is that you can attack anyone, anywhere at any time and take all the stuff on their body if you kill them.

It would make MORE sense to have this apply to both NPCs and Players in game.

Remember also they would have to add in-game justice systems to make sure it wasn't a massive gank-fest.  Fines of gold, experience, skillpoints, jailtime, and even, permadeath maybe in a public execution if you are caught being super evil.

While NONE of those things would make the game POPULAR, it would certainly make a lot more SENSE than what they have now.

A fantasy eve would have fit the game better

A DAOC / TES hybrid would have been pretty good too

what we are getting is a tes skinned TSW/WOW/GW2

• VorthanionVorthanion Member RarePosts: 2,749
    Originally posted by AlBQuirky

Originally posted by DeaconX
    Are there sandbox elements to the game at all?

I often wonder about this, too. I have never really thought of TES games as "sandboxes."

Open world, open paths of progression.  Not exactly the same as an actual sandbox game.  That's why I chose option 3.  I'm more a fan of open worlds and open progression than I am of strict sandboxes.  Sandparks or open ended themeparks are my preference.

• VorthanionVorthanion Member RarePosts: 2,749

[mod edit]

Complete BS.

Theres no amount of spin you can put on it to turn it into some frikin everquest clone where you can prance around showing off your latest raid set, while the crafting and pvp peasants run behind you eating your scraps.

DAOC is not a PVP focused game.  Its one of a handful of games that focus on PVE and PVP EQUALLY.

Hopefully this game will at least copy one great feature from DAOC, being fair to ALL playstyles.

but i suspect TESO will be less PVP focused than DAOC.  Mainly because they have a bunch of publisher pressure going "be more like wow that sold 10 million", and like all MMOs in beta it is currently getting a lot of squeckiest wheel that gets the oil whine from the hardcore PVE people who infest every MMO beta and turn the games towards the worse. probably end up a 75% PVE / 25% PVP game

More people prefer PvE over PvP.  They're here to make money.  You do the math.  On top of that, the ES series were never about faction vs. faction, they were all about political intrigues within the differing racial groups and guilds and noble houses.

• fantasyfreak112fantasyfreak112 Member Posts: 499
    This game should be just like Skyrim but make half the world group centric. TES has nice pvp potential as well but not 100% needed.
  • SiugSiug Member UncommonPosts: 1,257

[mod edit]

Complete BS.

Really? I've mostly seen so-called PvPers whining about balance and the colour of the carrot they are running after. And people talking about Daoc in every single TESO thread itself shows how little that game is about TES. Probably just a skin to get enough cash from initial sales. Hope it's not though. 

• MargulisMargulis Member CommonPosts: 1,614
    Originally posted by Shadanwolf

Want to kill this game ? Take the focus away from faction conflict.

Right, because the poll definitely shows the pvp focues crowd is in the majority..........

• MargulisMargulis Member CommonPosts: 1,614

[mod edit]

Complete BS.

My thoughts as well.

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

ONE

TES games are not sandboxes, they are hybrids.  The closest MMO to TES would be acherons call - which is a hybrid, bang in the middle of the themepark / sandbox spectrum.

Ah yes, but the CORE game in Asherons Call is SANDBOX, open world, open choices, story doesnt get in the way. The CORE game in TESO is THEMEPARK. Closed world, limited choices, story driven, funneled content on a guiderail all leading to the PvP center of the world...which is also behind a magical wall keeping your lands safe.

TES is core sandbox with themepark features so there is PLENTY for TES fans to be pissed about..hell, there is plenty for MMORPG fans to be pissed about, yet ANOTHER MMORPG trapped in a tiny little box.

I have no idea what this gameworld's size is, but I think it's important to say, bigger doesn't mean better, especially in a quest based game. While a certain amount of expansiveness is needed to give the illusion of a world out there, it's counter productive when that scale gets too high for the design needed. That's when we start seeing worlds like SWG, VG, Fallen Earth, etc.. There is just far too much copy-pasting and generated landscape in these large world games. It's usually needed when the scope gets that large due to many constraints, budget, manpower, memory usage, etc.... Also the bigger the world gets the more empty it gets, there's only so much content they can make.

ANother issue is in recent memory, SWTOR, comparing it to AOC for an example, AOC just feels like it has much better flow between quest chains, there's much less back and forth and far less travel times. It just makes SWTOR questing feel like a chore in comparison.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    Originally posted by Margulis

[mod edit]

Complete BS.

My thoughts as well.

Concur..

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• mmoguy43mmoguy43 Member UncommonPosts: 2,770

Never have I thought when playing any TES game that I want to play it with faction PvP. Multiplayer co-op maybe, but not PvP.

I hope that answers the question.

• KareliaKarelia Member Posts: 668
    Originally posted by AlBQuirky

Originally posted by DeaconX
    Are there sandbox elements to the game at all?

I often wonder about this, too. I have never really thought of TES games as "sandboxes."

+1

• NeherunNeherun Member UncommonPosts: 280

Right, because the poll definitely shows the pvp focues crowd is in the majority..........

Because the poll is at MMORPG.com, the carebear's den and has 312 votes. It clearly states the accuracy of your claims that PvE outpopulates PvP market.

• HorusraHorusra Member EpicPosts: 4,411
    Originally posted by Neherun

Because the poll is at MMORPG.com, the carebear's den and has 312 votes. It clearly states the accuracy of your claims that PvE outpopulates PvP market.

Just log on to any game and look at the servers.  Almost all have more PvE servers than PvP and PvP only games get no where near the numbers of PvE games.

• bubalubabubaluba Member Posts: 434
    Mmo without pvp is crap and same thing as single player game. But now we can see how opinions on forums reflect on reality. If so ''only pve games'' would be most popular mmo's around but they are not. MMO without pvp is doomed to same player population as LOTRO and pve sandbox would be even more boring
    Originally posted by Horusra

Just log on to any game and look at the servers.  Almost all have more PvE servers than PvP and PvP only games get no where near the numbers of PvE games.

lol which one?? Failed games maybe. Look at the most popular mmo WOW, you can see there  80% pvp servers. Probably you think about  LOTRO because it is the only pve game with over 100k players. AOC, EVE, EQ,EQ2--everything is around pvp

• BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254
    Originally posted by bubaluba

lol which one?? Failed games maybe. Look at the most popular mmo WOW, you can see there  80% pvp servers. Probably you think about  LOTRO because it is the only pve game with over 100k players. AOC, EVE, EQ,EQ2--everything is around pvp

In the west, WoW has 133 PvE servers and 112 PvP servers.

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/status

However, all WoW servers have PvP in the form of BGs/Arenas.

Originally posted by bubaluba

Wow 136 PvE servers 113 PvP servers...according to Census app 70% of 1,970,652 unique characters found play on PvE servers.

Open world PvP is the fail mechanic of the MMO world...thanks to the Gankers and Epeeners.
    Open world PvP is the fail mechanic of the MMO world...thanks to the Gankers and Epeeners.

Well, pve is just same as single player game. Why even to try something like that??