Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

UPDATE: Master of Magic's "Spiritual Successor" On Kickstarter

AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432

Surfing around the web today, I stumbled upon Worlds of Magic, a self-proclaimed "spiritual successor" to Master of Magic, that MicroProse released in 1994.  There is a KickStarter campaign ongoing that ends May2, 2013.

From what I read, it goes far beyond what MoM offered.  It looks interesting.  If you enjoy(ed) Master of Magic, check it out.

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
- FARGIN_WAR

Comments

• bliss14bliss14 Member UncommonPosts: 595

I loved MoM!!  Thanks for the heads up :)

Turin for the win!

• ghorgosghorgos Member UncommonPosts: 191
    thx for the link. I just hope it is getting better than the previous attemps to make something similar to MoM. Usually devs screw up pretty bad with this type of game.
  • AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432
    Originally posted by ghorgos
    thx for the link. I just hope it is getting better than the previous attemps to make something similar to MoM. Usually devs screw up pretty bad with this type of game.

You bet! 

I am unsure what I think of this game.  Instead of Myrror and Arcanus they are talking about 7 planes in the game. 

The spells look interesting, though. 

It also looks (though I may be wrong) like you can NOT name cities as you build them.  Considering one of the KS perks is naming a city in game, that may back my assumption.

I really don't know how much of MoM's "feel" will make into the game.  How much of MoM's game "stuff" is property of MicroProse?

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• ghorgosghorgos Member UncommonPosts: 191

mixed feelings about the information on the game...

A few good things but a few things that get we worried. Like the lack of units especially summoned units(a lot summoning spells for different elementals right now but hardly anything else).

As for the rights, Microprose does not own the rights for the whole game concept. They have the rights for the names and you can't just make a copy of the game with updated graphic but you can easily make similar things. There are a few attempts out there that are...well a good start but lacked either content or game-mechanics. I mean you could take Age of Wonders 2, increase the power of magic to the one of MoM(spells, summons, influence on the gameplay), add some extended city management(growth, population,etc.) and you get something that could work without legal issue regarding Microprose.

• AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432

Update:
    Just checked and with 70 hours to go, they have 36,000 pounds pledged of their 30,000 pound goal.

- Al

- FARGIN_WAR