Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[General Article] Age of Wushu: Review in Progress Part I

Comments

• sarabearrahsarabearrah Member UncommonPosts: 22

What I meant is that IF you Do go VIP the items from the VIP shop like armor, mounts or clothing only last 30 days...

The city missions are any NPC's with a scroll over their head have a daily mission you can do.

Also to quote a GM about more missions:To find the NPCs to teach you these skills, simply click the question mark book under your radar. Select "School Exclusive skills" and proceed to visit those NPCs listed. Remember to click page down to find all the NPCs. If those NPCs do not have quests for you and you have reached the internal skill requirements listed above, you may want to revisit the headmaster of your school and see if he/she has any further dialog for you.
    I tried those at my school and no dice, they wouldnt talk to me......

Soooooooooooo im stuck for now doing boring faction and point to point missions

What I meant is that IF you Do go VIP the items from the VIP shop like armor, moounts or clothing only last 30 days...

The city missions are any NPC's with a scroll over their head have a daily mission you can do.

Also to quote a GM about more missions:To find the NPCs to teach you these skills, simply click the question mark book under your radar. Select "School Exclusive skills" and proceed to visit those NPCs listed. Remember to click page down to find all the NPCs. If those NPCs do not have quests for you and you have reached the internal skill requirements listed above, you may want to revisit the headmaster of your school and see if he/she has any further dialog for you.
    I tried thos at my school and no dice, they wouldnt talk to me......

Soooooooooooo im stuck for now doing boring faction and point to point missions

• GolelornGolelorn Member RarePosts: 1,395

There seem to be so many skills and jobs thats its all redundant. I have not been able to complete the first group missions, because every team I got with are the stereotypical f2p clueless nubtards. 

The combat is absolutely terrible. This game is, quite frankly, a complete and utter mess.

This is not a sandbox. This is a child's messy room that needs to be cleaned.

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    Originally posted by Golelorn

There seem to be so many skills and jobs thats its all redundant. I have not been able to complete the first group missions, because every team I got with are the stereotypical f2p clueless nubtards. 

The combat is absolutely terrible. This game is, quite frankly, a complete and utter mess.

MIND BLOWN

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
    Originally posted by bcbully

MIND BLOWN

• midnitewolfmidnitewolf Member UncommonPosts: 64

For the most part I really like the game however it could use a bit of improvement.  My biggest pet peeves are combat and the enforced limitations on certain activities.

First Combat.

You choose a school and get 3 martial arts styles associated with that school for a total of 20-21 skills.  This part is awesome.  The part that is not awesome is the 7 second cooldown timer you have to endure if you want to combo the schools together.  Basically you end up with having to chose 1 of the 3 styles and stick with it whenever you engage in combat.  This is a huge disappointment.    In the games defense I THINK that there is a way around this at higher levels using the Merdian system (which is not currently unlocked yet on my Server).

Also PvE combat can be a bit dull.  There is really no reward such as experience gain for doing it and most PvE kills don't even seem to drop loot. (Again this may change with the Meridan system but since it is a server level unlock, no clue until when I can actually use this).

As far as limitation on activities the first issue is the Vigor attribute.  This attribute is used in crafting or as they call them, Life Skills.  The issue is that you are drastically limited to how much vigor you get in any given day.  For example, I decided I wanted to log into the game and do farming for a few hours.  So there I am growing wheat, rice and what have you.  20 mins into it I am told I can't do it any more because I am out of vigor and now have to wait a full 24 horus before it even starts to regen.  Ok wait a minute, this is a sandbox and I want to farm the whole entire day...wtf?  Also vigor is shared between all aspects of life skills so if I use up my vigor farming, I can't go fishing or cook a steamed bum....not until the 24 hours has elapsed. 

The last issue I have is the currency system.  You basically have two currencies, one is used with NPCs only and cannot be traded, the other is only used between players.  Overall you get plenty of NPC currency but aside from basic NPC items (some of which you do actually need to get), it is useless for anything like buying food, rare books, or anything from playres.  Also the Player traded money isn't really easy to come by as only a few quests and NPC tasks grant any.  Basically you have to figure out some way to get players to give you money by collecting resources (see my gripe on vigor), selling a dropped item to players or use real money to convert NPC money to Player money.  

In a nutshell, I really do like the game and find it addicting as heck but these limitations really chaffe the heck out of me and are more than a little frustrating.  Vigor is my biggest gripe in this regard because I would love to just spend time fishing or Farming or whatever but with artifical limitations on how long I can do this, I find myself having to find other things I might not want to do to fill the time.

Originally posted by midnitewolf

First Combat.

You choose a school and get 3 martial arts styles associated with that school for a total of 20-21 skills.  This part is awesome.  The part that is not awesome is the 7 second cooldown timer you have to endure if you want to combo the schools together.  Basically you end up with having to chose 1 of the 3 styles and stick with it whenever you engage in combat.  This is a huge disappointment.    In the games defense I THINK that there is a way around this at higher levels using the Merdian system (which is not currently unlocked yet on my Server).

I felt the same way. Sometimes I forget the early days.

At this point the swtich seems like a blink of the eye at times. Try this, you know those basic skills you learned? Use those to transition into another style. It makes your transition smoother. Also there are abilities that start the timer while the animation is still running. 

Yeah, that was a big downer for me at first too. Now I'm greateful for it. If it wasn't there you would be able to link 20 super abilities together and be on perma win :p Give it a shot.

Originally posted by midnitewolf

The last issue I have is the currency system.  You basically have two currencies, one is used with NPCs only and cannot be traded, the other is only used between players.  Overall you get plenty of NPC currency but aside from basic NPC items (some of which you do actually need to get), it is useless for anything like buying food, rare books, or anything from playres.  Also the Player traded money isn't really easy to come by as only a few quests and NPC tasks grant any.  Basically you have to figure out some way to get players to give you money by collecting resources (see my gripe on vigor), selling a dropped item to players or use real money to convert NPC money to Player money.  

You vigor used for your professions increase as you gain in skill. You are right though. You need to work, trade, and sell to make money. You can't just romp around farming npc and get rich. You wont be rich the first day either. Work you profession though.

Any day your luck can change though. Steal a rare skill, random encounter, nice recipe from a dungeon. My first month was day to day. Now I have about 12 times the unbound as I have bound.

The game is a slow burner. You can't  rush to cap and max your professions in 3-4 days. It just can't be done. Slow down and let it come to you, and WORK your profession! Did I already say that? ;)

edit- Just gor a random encounter for a raaaare jade quality recipe book. Gonna put it on the market for 10D tonight.

• GolelornGolelorn Member RarePosts: 1,395

MIND BLOWN

They may fool you by calling the same skill 100 different names, but not me. Its just useless information cluttering up the UI and game.

• GandoresGandores Member UncommonPosts: 55

Anyone who says the combat system sucks clearly never did high level pvp, as it is highly strategic fighting, particularly 1v1s (which is kind of rare in mmos, they often involves class counters). The rock paper scissors isnt about what you are, but rather what you do.

Game although is very laggy, and worse since launch.

Anyone who says the combat system sucks clearly never did high level pvp, as it is highly strategic fighting, particularly 1v1s (which is kind of rare in mmos, they often involves class counters). The rock paper scissors isnt about what you are, but rather what you do.

Game although is very laggy, and worse since launch.

• pcolapatpcolapat Member Posts: 36

So I downloaded this game last week and played it for a few hours. Right from the start I was very confused, so I watched people running around and kinda followed people to quest givers. I read the menus. Looked to chat for answers but it was nothing but gold farming spam. I eventually after much confusion located my school where I learned some akward abilities, and I killed a few mobs. I never really understood the progression. I guess you invest in your skills by clicking on them in some menu and they gain some sort of points over time while I wander around....the tutorial was in english, but damn, I was getting pretty frustrated. I am sure I could sort through it, join a guild and get some help, but why bother. The game does not have a very good tutorial. The fighting is kinda lame. I just wasn't impressed enough with it to suffer the confusion.

Thumbs down to this mess of a game.

JOIN TODAY!

Originally posted by pcolapat

So I downloaded this game last week and played it for a few hours. Right from the start I was very confused, so I watched people running around and kinda followed people to quest givers. I read the menus. Looked to chat for answers but it was nothing but gold farming spam. I eventually after much confusion located my school where I learned some akward abilities, and I killed a few mobs. I never really understood the progression. I guess you invest in your skills by clicking on them in some menu and they gain some sort of points over time while I wander around....the tutorial was in english, but damn, I was getting pretty frustrated. I am sure I could sort through it, join a guild and get some help, but why bother. The game does not have a very good tutorial. The fighting is kinda lame. I just wasn't impressed enough with it to suffer the confusion.

Thumbs down to this mess of a game.

The game is certainly not for everyone. A breath of fresh air :p

• Kaisen_DexxKaisen_Dexx Member UncommonPosts: 326

Honestly, the biggest detriment to the game at the moment is the horrid localization (which also leads to a large amount of inconsistancies in the skill descriptions). It makes the game far more complicated than it really is. "Advancement" wise, its just like Eve's System, only with the requirement you actually play the game. Playing the game earns you Exp. Exp fuels Cultivation. Cultivation fuels Skill Growth. Meridians are merely boosts that are leveled up by fighting.

It is also extremely difficult to know what stat affects your skills. Best way I've found to determine this is to look at the color of the damage in the skill description. Red Corresponds to Brawn, Green to Posture, Blue to Breath and Yellow to Base Damage. Though, talking to some people there are aparently skills that incorrectly assign the color.

I'll also say that combat doesn't feel clunky to me, except in times of lag. I think its the lack of a skill queue that leads to this perception. Although, rapidly chaining skills back to back is rarely the best way to go about fighting.

All in all, the team has a long ways to go before I can fully reccomend the game. I enjoy what it could be, but what it is right now is a real mess.

• ForeverdreamForeverdream Member UncommonPosts: 141
    Originally posted by Valentina

Honestly, when I 1st played the game in beta i felt this way. My 2nd attempt, however has gone quite differently. I started over on one of the new servers (white tiger) and I joined a guild. From there on I've been learning the game with everyone else, jumping into dungeons, mini instances, some pvp, and questing and been having a blast. This game is not PvP centric, that's actually quite false.

There's a very huge PvE element to the game, in fact most PvP content are scheduled tournaments & guild wars wheras PvE can be done in a whole lot more ways between the insane amount of dungeons, mini instances, challenges, story quests (most of which you actually have to find which is my only gripe with those), professions, etc...The game is PvE heavy. Of course the game is open world pvp, but ganking is actually highly unlikely in most cases, I've rarely even been attacked by an enemy guild when I'm out doing things.

I think you're approaching the game with an attitude that's already intent on disliking it or being frustrated with it like I did the 1st time. I agree that they still have work to do, especially when it comes to localization but when you consider where it was a month ago and where it is now in that department, it's a world apart. As for gold spammers/sellers, Snail has already issued two stances on it, they make game-wide/server wide announcements every couple of hours on this, and are implementing new tech in the back end, and in the game to combat this problem. If you play the game with a more relaxed and less judgemental attitude you'll find it easier to figure out and get into. It's an MMO, so ask questions, join a guild, do things and probably most importantly DO NOT approach this game as a traditional themepark. Seriously, a lot of the gun comes when you are part of the world & community and look at it from that perspective. The game world is beautiful, huge, highly explorable. You're supposed to be a citizen of Ming dynasty China. Not an on the rails heavily guided pre-written character in a movie. 

This, I too was "meh" on age of wushu, but the more i learned, the more i grew to love the game. Reading this review i feel as if the OP expected a themepark. 

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    Originally posted by Foreverdream
    Originally posted by Valentina

Honestly, when I 1st played the game in beta i felt this way. My 2nd attempt, however has gone quite differently. I started over on one of the new servers (white tiger) and I joined a guild. From there on I've been learning the game with everyone else, jumping into dungeons, mini instances, some pvp, and questing and been having a blast. This game is not PvP centric, that's actually quite false.

There's a very huge PvE element to the game, in fact most PvP content are scheduled tournaments & guild wars wheras PvE can be done in a whole lot more ways between the insane amount of dungeons, mini instances, challenges, story quests (most of which you actually have to find which is my only gripe with those), professions, etc...The game is PvE heavy. Of course the game is open world pvp, but ganking is actually highly unlikely in most cases, I've rarely even been attacked by an enemy guild when I'm out doing things.

I think you're approaching the game with an attitude that's already intent on disliking it or being frustrated with it like I did the 1st time. I agree that they still have work to do, especially when it comes to localization but when you consider where it was a month ago and where it is now in that department, it's a world apart. As for gold spammers/sellers, Snail has already issued two stances on it, they make game-wide/server wide announcements every couple of hours on this, and are implementing new tech in the back end, and in the game to combat this problem. If you play the game with a more relaxed and less judgemental attitude you'll find it easier to figure out and get into. It's an MMO, so ask questions, join a guild, do things and probably most importantly DO NOT approach this game as a traditional themepark. Seriously, a lot of the gun comes when you are part of the world & community and look at it from that perspective. The game world is beautiful, huge, highly explorable. You're supposed to be a citizen of Ming dynasty China. Not an on the rails heavily guided pre-written character in a movie. 

This, I too was "meh" on age of wushu, but the more i learned, the more i grew to love the game. Reading this review i feel as if the OP expected a themepark. 

i expected a martial arts based sandbox and came out very dissapointed after several weeks of play:( maybe The Magic Sword will satisfy that for me but who knows when that will be out here..

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• ArakaziArakazi Member UncommonPosts: 911

I have played it for a bit, and the biggest downside for me is the combat. It is so clumbsy. If you swing a sword, you have to stand in the same spot until the move finnishes whilst the player can keep on running. Furstrating no end in PvP when the other player decides to run of while you are in mid swing. Other than that, the graphics are mediocre at best, the sound is annoying with the constant twittering of birds, translation in some places is laughable, and, you spend the first 10 hours trying to solve the puzzle of what the hell is happening until you realize that absolutely nothing is happening in this game. Don't get me wrong, there is a good game there somewhere, it has a meaningful crafting and the basic premise of the game is good. Just too poorly executed for any real enjoyment.

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726

A game that makes no attempt to rid the general populace of having to listen to gold sellers chatter is a 2nd rate game.  That is an immediate -4 for me.

If you have to turn off chat, what is the sense of playing a MMO?  

As to the reviewer, complaining about having to group in  a MMO is just ridiculous.  Go find a single player game, you will be happier.

• hammarushammarus Member UncommonPosts: 196
    Right now the biggest drawback in the game for me is the dual monetary system.  I understand they have to make money on a free game.  I Understand!  But dang it! I was trying to just craft and it requires the unbound currency to do that for adding effects to craftsmen made jewelry.  Now costumes and extra mounts sure I get it. But for actual crafted things in the game?  Say WHAaaa?!
  • Kaisen_DexxKaisen_Dexx Member UncommonPosts: 326
    Originally posted by hammarus
    Right now the biggest drawback in the game for me is the dual monetary system.  I understand they have to make money on a free game.  I Understand!  But dang it! I was trying to just craft and it requires the unbound currency to do that for adding effects to craftsmen made jewelry.  Now costumes and extra mounts sure I get it. But for actual crafted things in the game?  Say WHAaaa?!

Thats how I felt at first. After I've had some time with it. I like it (barring the spend real money to get some. That always bothers me).  Taels can be earned via kidnapping, as thus, there is always some fluxing into the system without real money exchange. Since this is driven by player interaction (pvp flags) and not easily farmed, I've a good feeling it'll help curve inflation. I of course, may be incorrect on that assumption. But, the primary aspect of a player driven influx of money is that it forces you to participate in the market, instead of farm random NPCs over and over again for hours on end. I believe this helps build the economy and the community. Time will tell exactly its effects.

Side note: Someone told me that the dual currency system was accurate for the time period the game was in.

Originally posted by Arakazi

I have played it for a bit, and the biggest downside for me is the combat. It is so clumbsy. If you swing a sword, you have to stand in the same spot until the move finnishes whilst the player can keep on running. Furstrating no end in PvP when the other player decides to run of while you are in mid swing. Other than that, the graphics are mediocre at best, the sound is annoying with the constant twittering of birds, translation in some places is laughable, and, you spend the first 10 hours trying to solve the puzzle of what the hell is happening until you realize that absolutely nothing is happening in this game. Don't get me wrong, there is a good game there somewhere, it has a meaningful crafting and the basic premise of the game is good. Just too poorly executed for any real enjoyment.

For the non-locking moves, you need to use them depending on the situation.  Especially good when your opponent is blocking in front of you, or even better when you manage to bait a feint.

Wave your block in front of the guy, just when hes about to feint, BOOM, Snake Shakes Tail in the teeths.

• 43%burnt43%burnt Member UncommonPosts: 162

Quit for now. Less because of the game itself, but because of the horrible ping and the goldseller spam.

Waiting for if age of wulin will improve this. And the awkward "translation" while they are at it.

• AkuburaAkubura Member UncommonPosts: 16
    I really tried to like this game, but its just too hard to understand what to do. It's a shame too because when I read about the features it sounds like an amazing game. 
  • KingbladeKingblade Member Posts: 26
    Love this game. I don't need to explain why I love it, I just want to let it be known. 
  • cyclonite51cyclonite51 Member UncommonPosts: 44

This game requires a lot of patience, trial and error, and a willingness to learn. This mixture of sandbox and themepark with scheduled events is the future of MMOs. Themepark players get overhwlemed easily because of all the options available. There is very little hand holding, a lot of things are subtle and undocumented.

I like to compare this game to Dark Souls. There is a lot of complexity that isn't readily apparent but it is there if you dig for it. Once you find it you will be very satisfied.

• JjixJjix Member UncommonPosts: 142
    The real weakness of AoW -and the one that made me decide not to put more time into it- is in my opinion it's combat system. It's utterly slow and dull, and not at all as tactical as the developers seem to want it to be. Were this game to have a better more involved combat system it would most likely have been a hit with me.

Honestly, my experience has been diametrically the opposite of this. Go figure, I guess that is just the Age of Wushu for you! To me, the combat system is amazing. It feels clunky at first, and against pve mobs its definitely lack luster. But PvP, it is awesome. I've had duels that lasted 5 minutes which actually made me feel like I was in a movie during the final fight between the heroine and the main villain. I can't think of any MMO with combat that raises the adrenalin like AoW.