Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fuzzy Avatars Solved! Please re-upload your avatar if it was fuzzy!

[Preview] Dragon's Prophet: How To Train Your Dragons

SBFordSBFord Associate Editor - News ManagerThe Land of AZPosts: 16,596MMORPG.COM Staff Uncommon

Dragon's Prophet is getting ready to make a big splash in the MMO-space in the near future as the time for open beta and retail release approaches. We managed to get some hands on time with Dragon's Prophet and have a report about some of the very unique features that it brings to the table. See what we discovered before heading into the comments.

The main thing that Senior Producer Todd Carson wanted to impress on us as we began our journey through Dragon’s Prophet is that the game is about just that: Dragons. It’s all about getting around on dragons, fighting with dragons, collecting resources with dragons, customizing dragons, and taming more dragons. 

Read more of Suzie Ford's Dragon's Prophet: How to Tame Your Dragons.

image

Associate Editor: MMORPG.com
Follow me on Twitter: @MMORPGMom

image
«1

Comments

  • RohnRohn Saint Peters, MOPosts: 3,740Member Uncommon

    Nice write-up, thanks for the info.

    This appears to be a title with a very niche appeal, but does look interesting, and different from a lot of other games.  Might give it a go.

    Hell hath no fury like an MMORPG player scorned.

  • JasonJJasonJ New Port Richey, FLPosts: 395Member
    Friend is in beta, he says the game "looks" good, not great, dragon taming is fun and does add something new to MMOs, combat is decent but could use some fleshing out. However, the down side is that it is sorely lacking in quests once you hit level 7, it gets rather thin and you will find yourself having to grind a few levels to catch up to what is available. Outside of that, he says its better than average and could be one of the better F2P games if they work on its few issues before release.
  • XilentStormXilentStorm Melbourne, FLPosts: 224Member
    Originally posted by JasonJ
    Friend is in beta, he says the game "looks" good, not great, dragon taming is fun and does add something new to MMOs, combat is decent but could use some fleshing out. However, the down side is that it is sorely lacking in quests once you hit level 7, it gets rather thin and you will find yourself having to grind a few levels to catch up to what is available. Outside of that, he says its better than average and could be one of the better F2P games if they work on its few issues before release.

    Let's hope he reports those issues to the devs, so we can get that fixed up. (: I hate WoW style combat, I hope this is more fluid and dynamic without the spamming of skills.

    Veteran MMORPG Player -

    ROM
    EVE
    RS (pre-EOC)- Habbo
    Combat Arms - Crossfire -AVA
    Maplestory, and more.

  • TobrukTobruk St Paul, MNPosts: 40Member
    How long does it take to tame a dragon? I ask this because it was mentioned that even in a dungeon there are dragons you can tame. I honestly dont see people in your group having the patience to sit around and wait to complete the dungeon while you tame a dragon. 
  • ArekaineArekaine Tulsa, OKPosts: 72Member

       Anyone know just how F2P this game is going to be? I mean on their website it says "Free to play. Your way." Is it some odd ball buy to play system? Or do you seriously have to buy pretty much every row of inventory, every expansion for your house and every new dragon slot?

     

       I have been following the development of this for a time, But I am not going to get sucked into the massive micro payment system like RoM has.

    There is a Madness that has grown in the Light. And it is coming to burn you a cinder

  • SilveruneSilverune West SussexPosts: 112Member
    Made by the same people who make Runes of Magic So I am guessing that it is going to be a bit Cash Shop heavy.
  • Ramonski7Ramonski7 Aurora, ILPosts: 2,656Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Tobruk
    How long does it take to tame a dragon? I ask this because it was mentioned that even in a dungeon there are dragons you can tame. I honestly dont see people in your group having the patience to sit around and wait to complete the dungeon while you tame a dragon. 

    Not long. Think about a spamming WASD DDR session in 5-10 secs. That's about all I can say.

    image
    "Small minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas."

  • velmaxvelmax palm bay, FLPosts: 211Member
    Originally posted by Silverune
    Made by the same people who make Runes of Magic So I am guessing that it is going to be a bit Cash Shop heavy.

    Well that was Gameforge that implemented the cash shop, SOE might do better with station cash!

  • Ramonski7Ramonski7 Aurora, ILPosts: 2,656Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Arekaine

       Anyone know just how F2P this game is going to be? I mean on their website it says "Free to play. Your way." Is it some odd ball buy to play system? Or do you seriously have to buy pretty much every row of inventory, every expansion for your house and every new dragon slot?

     

       I have been following the development of this for a time, But I am not going to get sucked into the massive micro payment system like RoM has.

    Because its still in closed beta nothing has been annouced just yet. But I hope they go more along the same line as Tera. I hated RoM's cash shop. You couldn't get anything of value without relying on it. And it's the main reason I stop playing it. But this is SoE running the show now (for N.America that is) and I hope they take a page from their PS2 cash shop and not their Vanguard one or in the best case scenario Tera.

    image
    "Small minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas."

  • AerowynAerowyn BUZZARDS BAY, MAPosts: 7,928Member
    Originally posted by Ramonski7
    Originally posted by Tobruk
    How long does it take to tame a dragon? I ask this because it was mentioned that even in a dungeon there are dragons you can tame. I honestly dont see people in your group having the patience to sit around and wait to complete the dungeon while you tame a dragon. 

    Not long. Think about a spamming WASD DDR session in 5-10 secs. That's about all I can say.

    you can see it here

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CtDAD8bfnNk

    differn't factors play into how easy or hard it is to tame a dragon such as how close your level is to the dragons level.. a lot of this info is around youtube on various dev interviews

    I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

  • TsaboHavocTsaboHavoc PinheiralPosts: 351Member
    oh this is the game that sony took out of his ass, looks like a themepark a cash grab dragons gimmicks pokemon. cant wait to see what dragons or tools to make the taming easier will be in CS.
  • Zen_BladeZen_Blade Folsom, CAPosts: 106Member Common
    Originally posted by Silverune
    Made by the same people who make Runes of Magic So I am guessing that it is going to be a bit Cash Shop heavy.

    Yeah the dev team, not the producer of the game which is who monitizes it.  Don't mistake the two.  SoE vs Frogster/Gameforge.

  • William12William12 Saint paul, MNPosts: 680Member

    Sony will determine the SC stuff.

     

    Also Havoc what about any of SOEs games scream cash grab ? SOE has the best f2p model of any company.

  • AkulasAkulas GoldcoastPosts: 1,616Member Uncommon
    I'm playing it so I can stalk someone in a bush. You won't know who you are. If you do however spot me I will do a /wave

    This isn't a signature, you just think it is.

  • Dreamo84Dreamo84 Niagara Falls, NYPosts: 3,437Member Uncommon

    SoE has a pretty good cash shop system i'm not worried about that. More worried about the game feeling like an Asian MMO world with mobs just kinda littered everywhere waiting to be killed with no real rhyme or reason.

    Kinda ruined Tera for me though I still pop into that one every now and then.

    image
  • Eir_SEir_S Argyle, NYPosts: 4,623Member
    Huh.  This game looks kind of fun, I didn't even know about it.
  • SephirosoSephiroso Marietta, GAPosts: 1,160Member Uncommon
    i hope dreamworks lays the smack down on the name thief.

    image
    Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

  • evilastroevilastro EdinburghPosts: 4,270Member
    Originally posted by Sephiroso
    i hope dreamworks lays the smack down on the name thief.

     The Dreamworks movie is called "How to train your dragon"... the game is called "Dragon's Prophet".

    Can you see where you went wrong yet?

  • SephirosoSephiroso Marietta, GAPosts: 1,160Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by evilastro
    Originally posted by Sephiroso
    i hope dreamworks lays the smack down on the name thief.

     The Dreamworks movie is called "How to train your dragon"... the game is called "Dragon's Prophet".

    Can you see where you went wrong yet?

    ah thought the game was called Dragon's Prophet: How to train your dragons lol, i do see where i went wrong.

    image
    Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

  • evilastroevilastro EdinburghPosts: 4,270Member
    It was just a word play by the author to get attention. Although the game does focus heavily on training dragons.
  • AerowynAerowyn BUZZARDS BAY, MAPosts: 7,928Member
    Originally posted by Fendel84M

    SoE has a pretty good cash shop system i'm not worried about that. More worried about the game feeling like an Asian MMO world with mobs just kinda littered everywhere waiting to be killed with no real rhyme or reason.

    Kinda ruined Tera for me though I still pop into that one every now and then.

    unfortunately it does fall into this category.. its one thing i hate about a LOT of MMOs.. very few try to break this mold and actually have reasons for majority of mobs to be where they are... for me its an immediate turn off but not a complete game breaker as long as the combat and other systems outweigh this for me.. unfortunatly in many games the rest of the game just isn't good enough for me to get past this like tera for example...

    I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

  • LoktofeitLoktofeit Stone Mountain, GAPosts: 13,659Member Uncommon

    "Players begin the game with one dragon..." 

     

    How do you activate or access that dragon? I ddin't have one until level 7 or so when I tamed one. 

     

    Really fun divergence from the standard fare of fantasy MMOs, btw. 

    There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

  • AerowynAerowyn BUZZARDS BAY, MAPosts: 7,928Member
    Originally posted by Loktofeit

    "Players begin the game with one dragon..." 

     

    How do you activate or access that dragon? I ddin't have one until level 7 or so when I tamed one. 

     

    Really fun divergence from the standard fare of fantasy MMOs, btw. 

    don't think that start with a dragon thing is added to the CB yet.. 

    I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

  • LoktofeitLoktofeit Stone Mountain, GAPosts: 13,659Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Tobruk
    How long does it take to tame a dragon? I ask this because it was mentioned that even in a dungeon there are dragons you can tame. I honestly dont see people in your group having the patience to sit around and wait to complete the dungeon while you tame a dragon. 

    The dungeons I've gone through are more like UO or AC dungeons than modern dungeons. While there are quests in each, you don't go truogh some linear trail to an objective, kill it and recall out. They are more of a place to hunt, tame and gather. 

    There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

  • n00bitn00bit rochester hills, MIPosts: 343Member
    Originally posted by William12

    Sony will determine the SC stuff.

     

    Also Havoc what about any of SOEs games scream cash grab ? SOE has the best f2p model of any company.

    Best f2p model of any company? Grinding Gear Games would like to have a word with you.

«1
Sign In or Register to comment.