Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is DF:UW Worth picking up?

I have been getting really burned out on themepark MMOs lately and was thinking about trying Unholy Wars. I like a good PvP/sandbox game and this one seems to have the goods in that department (PvP loot, seiges, housing, politics, deep crafting, etc). The problem is I hear allot of bashing regarding this game (not that it necissarily means anything) and before I drop $40 on this game I wanted to get the opinions of some current players. I hear allot of people say it is buggy/broken and that the developer is terrible (not sure if this is true, that's why I am asking). Is this game worth $40? It all sounds very good on paper, but we all know that it doesn't mean it translates well to the actual game. I know that is a subjective question, but please let me know your opinions. Thanks ahead of time!

-PJ

Comments

• FuggliestFuggliest Member Posts: 3
    Anything is worht trying once. Trust me, you dont want anyones advice from mmorpg.com, go out and develop your own opinion.

You can ban me from the uac list, the ip ban, the mac ban, etc etc etc. But why am I still in ur forumz...........

• Pixel_JockeyPixel_Jockey Member Posts: 165
    Originally posted by Fuggliest
    Anything is worht trying once. Trust me, you dont want anyones advice from mmorpg.com, go out and develop your own opinion.

I would agree if it was free. $40 is $40. 

• BroverpowerdBroverpowerd Member UncommonPosts: 37
    Haven't been able to stop playing. Not for the soft though, open world pvp+full loot. But if you like character progression and not gear progression, do it.
    Originally posted by Broverpowerd
    Haven't been able to stop playing. Not for the soft though, open world pvp+full loot. But if you like character progression and not gear progression, do it.

Definatly looking for something with some nuts.

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    drop the box cost charge me a $9 sub, and I will try it. I just don't trust box cost anymore. Heck that's 4-5 months of AoW VIP.
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"
    Originally posted by bcbully
    drop the box cost charge me a $9 sub, and I will try it. I just don't trust box cost anymore. Heck that's 4-5 months of AoW VIP.

Yeah, the box cost is what has me leery. Not that I can't afford it, but I am tired of wasting money on crap games just to try them.

Age of Wushu VIP gives you an idea of what kind of game it is. Thats why I like monthly subs, everyone pays $15, everyone is on the same playing field.
  • JakdstripperJakdstripper Member RarePosts: 2,410

it does have bugs, stupid crap like keyboard not responding at times. having to click 2 or 3 times before the little X to close an inventory shows up, yesterday i got a weird graphic bug that forced me to relog.....the bugs are definately there.

since i've played the old DF i have a hard time recomending this new DF. it's easy, it's generic, it's shallow. IMO they gutted way too much out of the old game and have not really added all that much new and exciting. sure, the UI is a bit better, the bag system is just as horrible, the chat systme is only slightly better, the animations are just as rigid as they were before, the only thing they have improved graphically is the water, everything else looks almost indentical to the old game except that everything is 10 times easier. Preformance is also quite horrible at the moment. i have a pretty good comp and even with only 10 players arround me i start getting some very heavy lag.

i wont be subbing past my initial month. however, for a complete DF vergin such as yourself it might entertain you for a few months. hard to say.  

• Daimonion69Daimonion69 Member Posts: 29

It sounds and looks all pretty interesting. Especially the sandbox elements.

However, the PvP vids do mostly look a bit monotonic. More like a FPS with bows... can anyone counter that impression?

It seems its a lot of bow combat because many people are playing Skrims. The new system is much friendlier than the old one, which catered to keyboard macroers and botters, it actually makes you go out into the world and *GASP* explore!
  • BigHatLoganBigHatLogan Member Posts: 688

Box price and sub these days is asking a lot in the sketchy world of mmorpgs.  However, I believe it is worth it for Dark Fall Unholy Wars.  I played the original DF for a few months but couldn't stomach the massive grind.  The prowess system really alleviates the issue of macroing and gets players PVP viable much much much quicker.  This change alone brought me back.  As far as the game being broken, I don't agree at all.  I've read a lot of threads here claiming horrible performance and constant crashing, but that has not been my experience.  I ran into a little stuttering at one point that lasted a couple minutes but that is the only time that lag was even noticable to me since release. I have crashed twice since release.  Once when teleporting out of the tutorial area and once randomly. 

Since the game has only been released for 3 days I can't comment on large scale battles or sieges or whatever, but territory control always makes a good end game for an mmorpg.  PVP is heart pounding due to the risk and reward found in full looting.  The combat feels like a cheap version of Skyrim which is perfectly acceptible considering how bad combat is in most mmorpgs.  I've always enjoyed the artificial intelligence mobs have in Dark Fall, it feels like fighting Quake bots as opposed to your standard "standing around full on retarded" mobs found in most mmorpgs. 

Crafting is amazing in Darkfall since it is actually so useful.  All gear except Rank 0 stuff is crafted and there is a constant demand for crafted gear due to full looting.  Gear can't be repaired either and is eventually destroyed creating a vibrant economy completely opposite from most mmorpgs which don't even have real economies since gear never goes away.  In those games people get the best stuff and never need to get anything else. 

A lot is still missing from the game.  It sounds like the bigger ships are still out.  It is something to look forward too though since ship battles in Darkfall are unlike anything else in other mmorpgs.  Half the magical skills aren't in the game yet which is super annoying for the caster classes.  They really should have been in for release, but hopefully get added soon.

So is Darkfall worth picking up?  Well that depends on if you like Space Ships and Spreadsheets.  Even with missing content, Darkfall is still a more rewarding experience than GW2, WoW, or the rest of the Themepark Brigade.  Bugs can be fixed and content can be added, but bad game design is eternal.

Are you a Pavlovian Fish Biscuit Addict? Get Help Now!
    I will play no more MMORPGs until somethign good comes out!

• xzyaxxzyax Member Posts: 2,459
    Originally posted by Fuggliest

Made me laugh.  

Thanks!  image

• aesperusaesperus Member UncommonPosts: 5,135
    Originally posted by Pixel_Jockey

I have been getting really burned out on themepark MMOs lately and was thinking about trying Unholy Wars. I like a good PvP/sandbox game and this one seems to have the goods in that department (PvP loot, seiges, housing, politics, deep crafting, etc). The problem is I hear allot of bashing regarding this game (not that it necissarily means anything) and before I drop $40 on this game I wanted to get the opinions of some current players. I hear allot of people say it is buggy/broken and that the developer is terrible (not sure if this is true, that's why I am asking). Is this game worth $40? It all sounds very good on paper, but we all know that it doesn't mean it translates well to the actual game. I know that is a subjective question, but please let me know your opinions. Thanks ahead of time!

-PJ

Go to twitch.tv

Watch some of the streamers playing the game. Especially the ones willing to answer questions. There's quite a few people atm curious about the game, so you'd hardly be alone in that.

Outside of putting down money for the game, that's probably the closest thing you're going to get to a preview.

• injenuinjenu Member CommonPosts: 142
    Originally posted by bcbully

If you want a game where your decisions and actions lead to some real consequences, not just a facade of them like in AoW, then Darkfall is the game for you. 

• injenuinjenu Member CommonPosts: 142
    Originally posted by BigHatLogan

Box price and sub these days is asking a lot in the sketchy world of mmorpgs.  However, I believe it is worth it for Dark Fall Unholy Wars.  I played the original DF for a few months but couldn't stomach the massive grind.  The prowess system really alleviates the issue of macroing and gets players PVP viable much much much quicker.  This change alone brought me back.  As far as the game being broken, I don't agree at all.  I've read a lot of threads here claiming horrible performance and constant crashing, but that has not been my experience.  I ran into a little stuttering at one point that lasted a couple minutes but that is the only time that lag was even noticable to me since release. I have crashed twice since release.  Once when teleporting out of the tutorial area and once randomly. 

Since the game has only been released for 3 days I can't comment on large scale battles or sieges or whatever, but territory control always makes a good end game for an mmorpg.  PVP is heart pounding due to the risk and reward found in full looting.  The combat feels like a cheap version of Skyrim which is perfectly acceptible considering how bad combat is in most mmorpgs.  I've always enjoyed the artificial intelligence mobs have in Dark Fall, it feels like fighting Quake bots as opposed to your standard "standing around full on retarded" mobs found in most mmorpgs. 

Crafting is amazing in Darkfall since it is actually so useful.  All gear except Rank 0 stuff is crafted and there is a constant demand for crafted gear due to full looting.  Gear can't be repaired either and is eventually destroyed creating a vibrant economy completely opposite from most mmorpgs which don't even have real economies since gear never goes away.  In those games people get the best stuff and never need to get anything else. 

A lot is still missing from the game.  It sounds like the bigger ships are still out.  It is something to look forward too though since ship battles in Darkfall are unlike anything else in other mmorpgs.  Half the magical skills aren't in the game yet which is super annoying for the caster classes.  They really should have been in for release, but hopefully get added soon.

So is Darkfall worth picking up?  Well that depends on if you like Space Ships and Spreadsheets.  Even with missing content, Darkfall is still a more rewarding experience than GW2, WoW, or the rest of the Themepark Brigade.  Bugs can be fixed and content can be added, but bad game design is eternal.

This. 

• LeiloniLeiloni Member RarePosts: 1,266

As far as the game being broken, I don't agree at all.  I've read a lot of threads here claiming horrible performance and constant crashing, but that has not been my experience.  I ran into a little stuttering at one point that lasted a couple minutes but that is the only time that lag was even noticable to me since release. I have crashed twice since release.  Once when teleporting out of the tutorial area and once randomly. 

I have wanted to give the game a try since all my guildies are playing it but I'm having a hard time getting started. I expect a bug or two for a new MMO launch, but this game has too many on top of a few things that are just unfinished. For someone who played DF1 and loved it, I'm sure they have no problem getting past it.

But for a new player trying out the game who is not sure if they like it or not, it's hard to not get frustrated with all of the crap when all you want to do is give it a try. Three days in and this has been my experience thus far:

Day 1:

-Started to download the game as I would any other, assuming the launcher actually would be ok. See that it keep stopping the download and when it does work, it's running at epically slow speeds.

-A guildie sends me some links to a direct download. 13 files in total with a download manager to download as well. I install the DL manager only to find it has also installed a bunch of random crap I didn't give it permission to and has changed a number of settings on my browser. Quickly remove all of that and try to download the files without it.

-Files are taking forever one by one and keep stopping for no reason, forcing me to begin them again. A couple hours later I am only on file 3 and I need to go to bed so I try to download all of them at once.

Day 2:

-Wake up the next morning and the files have all stopped. Say f*** that and open the launcher again just for sh*** and giggles while I go to work.

-Come home and magically it has made it's way, 8 hours later, to file 11 of 13. Wait until it's over and log in. Finally can take a breath and actually have some fun. Or so I thought.

-Get through the tutorial and am doing some intro feats in my starter down. Get to the one asking me to find mob spawns and kill a mob. Find 2 on my map, wait at each of them for quite a while, only to discover both of them are broken.

-Guildies tell me there should be a newbie dungeon with a portal in town I can kill mobs in. Can't find it, so they tell me my map shows where portals are. Well indeed it does, but it shows no portals in my newbie town. Say f*** this yet again and log out.

Day 3:

-Log in and all my keybinds are reset. Did not even bother to stick around to find out what else is broken.

I'd love to give this game a try because my friends love it and I want to know what I'm missing. And playing other MMO's without them is not nearly as fun. But it's not very easy to even get into it, so I dunno what I'm going to do. I would not recommend it right now. Wait until they fix a few bugs and introduce the rest of the skills for the casters, assuming they ever actually do either of those things. Based on what I've heard about this company, I would not get any hopes up.

Edit: Oh wow this forum doesn't have a curse filter. Ok going to go back and edit myself then...

• BigHatLoganBigHatLogan Member Posts: 688
    Originally posted by Leiloni

As far as the game being broken, I don't agree at all.  I've read a lot of threads here claiming horrible performance and constant crashing, but that has not been my experience.  I ran into a little stuttering at one point that lasted a couple minutes but that is the only time that lag was even noticable to me since release. I have crashed twice since release.  Once when teleporting out of the tutorial area and once randomly. 

I have wanted to give the game a try since all my guildies are playing it but I'm having a hard time getting started. I expect a bug or two for a new MMO launch, but this game has too many on top of a few things that are just unfinished. For someone who played DF1 and loved it, I'm sure they have no problem getting past it.

But for a new player trying out the game who is not sure if they like it or not, it's hard to not get frustrated with all of the crap when all you want to do is give it a try. Three days in and this has been my experience thus far:

Day 1:

-Started to download the game as I would any other, assuming the launcher actually would be ok. See that it keep stopping the download and when it does work, it's running at epically slow speeds.

-A guildie sends me some links to a direct download. 13 files in total with a download manager to download as well. I install the DL manager only to find it has also installed a bunch of random crap I didn't give it permission to and has changed a number of settings on my browser. Quickly remove all of that and try to download the files without it.

-Files are taking forever one by one and keep stopping for no reason, forcing me to begin them again. A couple hours later I am only on file 3 and I need to go to bed so I try to download all of them at once.

Day 2:

-Wake up the next morning and the files have all stopped. Say f*** that and open the launcher again just for sh*** and giggles while I go to work.

-Come home and magically it has made it's way, 8 hours later, to file 11 of 13. Wait until it's over and log in. Finally can take a breath and actually have some fun. Or so I thought.

-Get through the tutorial and am doing some intro feats in my starter down. Get to the one asking me to find mob spawns and kill a mob. Find 2 on my map, wait at each of them for quite a while, only to discover both of them are broken.

-Guildies tell me there should be a newbie dungeon with a portal in town I can kill mobs in. Can't find it, so they tell me my map shows where portals are. Well indeed it does, but it shows no portals in my newbie town. Say f*** this yet again and log out.

Day 3:

-Log in and all my keybinds are reset. Did not even bother to stick around to find out what else is broken.

I'd love to give this game a try because my friends love it and I want to know what I'm missing. And playing other MMO's without them is not nearly as fun. But it's not very easy to even get into it, so I dunno what I'm going to do. I would not recommend it right now. Wait until they fix a few bugs and introduce the rest of the skills for the casters, assuming they ever actually do either of those things. Based on what I've heard about this company, I would not get any hopes up.

Edit: Oh wow this forum doesn't have a curse filter. Ok going to go back and edit myself then...

About half of your problem is having a rather dumb guild mate...  I wouldn't want to be in a guild with someone who gives me a link to spy ware...  I downloaded Darkfall Unholy Wars at launch in 30 minutes with the official torrent.  As far as i know, everyone else i've talked to who used the official torrent and didn't completely shut themselves off from seeding by limiting access to their own files averaged a 30 minute download.  I've heard some spawns were broken but I can confirm that the spawns around Orkim in the newbie zone are all currently working.  Not sure about other cities. 

Are you a Pavlovian Fish Biscuit Addict? Get Help Now!
    I will play no more MMORPGs until somethign good comes out!

• BLOBtheTROLLBLOBtheTROLL Member Posts: 75
    it is worth , df1 was the best pvp game I have played. start of df uw will be epic dont miss it.
  • XorretXorret Member Posts: 3

Do it. I'm having so much fun right now, despite the bugs.

Just make sure you find yourself a clan.

• KanesterKanester Member UncommonPosts: 375

Can't remember the last time i played a game all day and still wanted to play more.

Im also board shitless with the theampark mmos, This game is huge, Brutal, fun, Heart pumping and daring. It's a YES from me.

Even the crafting and gathering is fun.

• SeelinnikoiSeelinnikoi Member RarePosts: 1,360

I am an idiot. I admit it...

Cannot believe I paid 29 euros for this crap.

It was poor in beta and it is poor now... Really dissapointed, the game lacks serious optimisation and lacks charisma and polishing

If you are a Star Wars fan, why not try the Star Wars The Old Republic?
    New players can get a welcome package and old/returning players can also get a welcome back package and 7 days free subscription time! Just click here to use my referral invitation
  • LeiloniLeiloni Member RarePosts: 1,266
    Originally posted by Leiloni

Day 1:

Day 2:

Day 3:

About half of your problem is having a rather dumb guild mate...  I wouldn't want to be in a guild with someone who gives me a link to spy ware...  I downloaded Darkfall Unholy Wars at launch in 30 minutes with the official torrent.  As far as i know, everyone else i've talked to who used the official torrent and didn't completely shut themselves off from seeding by limiting access to their own files averaged a 30 minute download.  I've heard some spawns were broken but I can confirm that the spawns around Orkim in the newbie zone are all currently working.  Not sure about other cities. 

To be fair the links had been posted all over the official forums and used by many people. Some other guild had posted them to their guild website. And my guildie said he didn't even bother with the DL manager so he wouldn't have known anyway. I had planned on trying a Torrent (although I would have had to figure out what Torrent client to use), but I came home and was surprised to see the Launcher actually worked.

• RaapnaapRaapnaap Member UncommonPosts: 455

It's a fun game if you're willing to join a clan or play it with friends. It is not a singleplayer MMO, playing it solo and without direction will get you burned out really quickly.

1 - Get in a group of friends or in a clan.

2 - Do stuff with eachother.

3 - Entertainment value equalling the money you spend at the very minimum is for certain even in the worst case scenario providing you do NOT play this solo.

If you're able to enjoy the game at that basic level then you can consider participating in the clan political and siege warfare metagame, which is the real meat to the bones of Darkfall.

• EdelbertEdelbert Member Posts: 67

I can't even get past the ugly as fuck graphics. It's one thing for graphics to be outdated, I can live with that, it's just that the artstyle is disgusting and the animations are almost non-existant. It's 1998 all over again.

They didn't even care to license an outdated but proven game engine.

• KarahandrasKarahandras Member UncommonPosts: 1,703

I'd suggest waiting until there's a free trial and see for yourself.  Of course it'll be good to keep your fingers crossed and hope that they fix some of the issues by then and that you won't be at a time disadvantage or anything.

Also have to agree with others in that dfuw seems overpriced(as imo so was df1) especiall for the uk.