Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How is the community?

krekenkreken Member UncommonPosts: 139
I played for two months at the release and thinking about returning to the game. How did the community progress? Did it become completely elitist? (like requiring ql5+ weapons/talismans for the first dungeon) Or just join a guild and forget about LFG?

Comments

• ashleymorrowashleymorrow Member Posts: 176

Well, it's as mixed a bag as any community, but I believe that TSW has a slightly larger demographic of mature adults. Not much, but enough to notice the noise to sound ratio.

There are the elitists. I just try to get through Agartha as quick as possible because disabling  the "LFG" channel never seems to work. AND each message shows up, like, four times. Gets very annoying very quick.

PUGs are PUGs. Seen it in any other game on the planet? You'll find it in TSW. Ninja Looters, Loots and LinkDead, Mr. No Goodbye, etc.

General chat is usually a pleasent, if at times banal, place. The few trolls are placed on quick ignore which thankfully does work.

"Find a good cabal" is still the mantra many players espouse, but as there is no solid way to grade a cabal before joining, i.e. seeing how active they are, you basically just have to roll the dice.  Tons of cabals out there, one or two mega ones, lots more that exist in name only.

I play the game mostly solo, and have friends I will team up with that I met in Pugs. 

So, overall, Community: 8/10

• OrtwigOrtwig Member UncommonPosts: 1,163

In the earlier zones especially, people tend to be friendly, mature and helpful in General chat (no guarantees of course). Dungeon PUGs can be mixed, but I've always found friendly groups, as long as I am clear what my experience is with the dungeon, and if new I've found people willing to teach.  The elitists tend to hang out in Agartha spamming chat, so you can ignore most of those posts.  As in most games, joining a cabal, or having a regular group of friends in game is the best way to find people of similar mindset.  If you're getting into nightmare dungeons, there's also these:

http://forums.thesecretworld.com/showthread.php?t=62768
    http://forums.thesecretworld.com/showthread.php?t=63415

Been playing since beta, and I'd say the community is one of the better ones around.

• Rthuth434Rthuth434 Member Posts: 346
    it's surprisingy bad for a low population game.
    Originally posted by Rthuth434
    it's surprisingy bad for a low population game.

Based on what?  Your zero hours played?  

• krekenkreken Member UncommonPosts: 139
    Thanks. Since it's been quite a while and a lot has changed, would you suggest to start a new char to re-aquinte yourself with the game or continue with your old one which has skills you have no idea what they do?
  • BoreasBoreas Member Posts: 24

I think some of the "elitism" in Agartha chat comes from players with a lot of Nightmare experience looking for others with similar experience and gear. Unfortunately, it can appear to newer players that the requirements they see posted are what's needed to start Nightmares, when it is instead the point you will reach after running Nightmares for some time. Groups consisting of and open to players newer to Nightmares generally describe themselves as "casual".

People seem to be fairly friendly. I rarely see rudeness or hostility in chat. I encounter jerks from time to time, but they don't seem prevalent.

As for starting a new character, you will be learning new skills throughout the game, so unfamiliarity is not really a good reason to start over. One reason you might want to restart is to play through the main quest line from the beginning. It is a good story and starting it from scratch may help draw you into the game.

• Moridin82Moridin82 Member UncommonPosts: 103
    Great community :)
    Originally posted by kreken
    Thanks. Since it's been quite a while and a lot has changed, would you suggest to start a new char to re-aquinte yourself with the game or continue with your old one which has skills you have no idea what they do?

Well, it sort of depends on whether you want to start the story over or begin with a new faction.  There is technically no need to ever respec or reroll n TSW, but if you are looking to start a character fresh, easy enough to add an alt.  Here are some threads I'd recommend looking over:

http://forums.thesecretworld.com/showthread.php?t=66643

http://forums.thesecretworld.com/showthread.php?t=52907

http://forums.thesecretworld.com/showthread.php?t=64032

Speak up in chat, and I'm sure folks will help you out as you get going.  :)

• ArakaziArakazi Member UncommonPosts: 911

I haven't played the game for a while. Given that I've played it before just after the release and left soon afterwards, is there enough new content to play it again?

Originally posted by Arakazi

I haven't played the game for a while. Given that I've played it before just after the release and left soon afterwards, is there enough new content to play it again?

There's been 6 Issues released since the start of the game, and Issue 1-4 come with the base install.   Here's a detailed rundown of everything that's been added since launch:

• NitthNitth Member UncommonPosts: 3,904

I played for two months at the release and thinking about returning to the game. How did the community progress? Did it become completely elitist? (like requiring ql5+ weapons/talismans for the first dungeon)

Yep..

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

Originally posted by Nitth

I played for two months at the release and thinking about returning to the game. How did the community progress? Did it become completely elitist? (like requiring ql5+ weapons/talismans for the first dungeon)

Yep..

Nope.  Nightmare dungeon runs tend to be where the elitists hang out (mostly players in Agartha), but even then there are alternatives:

http://forums.thesecretworld.com/showthread.php?t=62768
    http://forums.thesecretworld.com/showthread.php?t=63415

If you want to get a normal or elite dungeon, you can usually find one through the LFG tools or through normal chat in the zones.  The FAL (Field Agent Locator) mod makes it even easier.

• AmegashieAmegashie Member UncommonPosts: 289

In the lower zones, people will either be helpful or ignore you completely. Elitism is fortunately restricted to nightmare groups, but there it is rampant.

I would highly recommend joining a Cabal as the mechanics of the game itself do not support grouping and social interaction in general outside of the dungeons.

Originally posted by Amegashie

In the lower zones, people will either be helpful or ignore you completely. Elitism is fortunately restricted to nightmare groups, but there it is rampant.

I would highly recommend joining a Cabal as the mechanics of the game itself do not support grouping and social interaction in general outside of the dungeons.

Cabals are a good bet and a fine way to always have folks to group with, but I fail to see how the mechanics do not support social interaction.  You can't program for people's social or antisocial behavior, you can only give people tools to group if they decide to do so. TSW has all of them: general chat, LFG chat, party chat, an LFG tool, a mod that expands the LFG tool, ability to invite people to group across dimensions, ability to share missions, ability to friend people ingame.  What other mechanics are needed short of a "forced grouping" scheme?

• RohnRohn Member UncommonPosts: 3,730
    From what I've seen, TSW has one of the best communities I've seen in an MMO.  The playerbase appears a little more mature, on average.

Hell hath no fury like an MMORPG player scorned.

• jdnewelljdnewell Member UncommonPosts: 2,237

Like most MMOs expect elitism when trying to do Nightmare modes. You will see the spam easily enough. Otherwise my experience with the community has been positive.

Joining a good Cabal will help. Otherwise dont expect to do NM modes. Most are looking for you to be over geared so they can do a speed run with no challenge and no patience for new or undergeared players.

• CryseydeCryseyde Member Posts: 70
    Originally posted by jdnewell

Like most MMOs expect elitism when trying to do Nightmare modes. You will see the spam easily enough. Otherwise my experience with the community has been positive.

Joining a good Cabal will help. Otherwise dont expect to do NM modes. Most are looking for you to be over geared so they can do a speed run with no challenge and no patience for new or undergeared players.

A few of us on the forums got an idea to create a custom channel called noobmares (type /chat join Noobmares when in game to join) and it's the first place I look if my cabalistas are asleep. Like the name suggests, don't expect uber geared or experienced players - though there's some who hang out there and help when they can.

The second thing I would recommend is using Agartha LFG wisely. Advertising for a beginner run does work and I've rarely waited longer than 15 minutes even on my alt who only has dps abilities unlocked. My alt has a cabal, but as it's a heavy RP cabal, I don't usually run instances with them, and when I do, it's usually elites for green-geared players.

So the retort to this is: Poppycock. You don't need a cabal. Sure they can help, but being polite, asking if you can friend people, being honest about your experience and abilities will get you a robust friends list from which to draw. And as there are really no tools for cabals, that's basically all a cabal is - a friends list with a green-colored custom chat channel.