Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why does all the CSE/CU/KS spam not break this sites user agreement?

13»

Comments

• AldersAlders Member RarePosts: 2,207
    Originally posted by Taldier
    Originally posted by Deadlyne
    Originally posted by steelwind

I am curious as well how the CU virus is being allowed to continue. Not to mention all the silly topics peeps made for every little thing that crosses their minds. Topics like the following wouldn't be a stretch of the truth.

"Should CU have blue sky?"

"Will players be able to wear hats?"

"If a tree falls in CU, does it make a sound?"

Obviously these are all made up but to me the majorty of these threads are nothing but spam and useless info and I too am getting sick of sifting through all this crap.

I am extremely confused by this concept that people need to "sift through" posts in a specific subforum for a game they arent interested in.  Why would you go to that subforum if you really have no interest?

Its like complaining about the things being shown on TV channels that you arent watching.

Everyone doesn't just come here to visit their specific subforum for whatever game they are playing.  Many of the people on this site enjoy speaking on all the game forums, general, the pub and every other forum on this entire site.  They like talking about MMORPGs in general.  So yes, they do have to sift through silly topics constantly in order to get to the good discussions.  I don't see why this is so hard for people to understand.  Even if they don't visit the thread they are still reading the topics to see if it is worth joining the conversation. 

Why on earth would anyone read any forum like this?  It honestly is just baffling to me... Your opinion is not required on every single topic ever.  Do you chip in your 2cents about live games that you've never played before too?

But whatever, I'll still hold firm with the analogy that its like complaining that other things show up on the TV listings channel other than the shows you want to watch.

Terrible analogy.

You'd be surprised how many threads are discussions of theory, mechanics, and overall community while not being directly about any certain game.  Those are the threads i enjoy and look for.

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    Originally posted by colddog04

I read the forums like that. I suppose it's because I enjoy it. I chip in about games I've never played every once in a while - especially if I want to find out more information or if there is an interesting discussion happening. Why would anyone limit themselves to a single forum?

If you read them like that that's your choice, that doesn't mean MMORPG.com should regulate a forums activity because you're sick of seeing "too many" threads for a certain game. I say this as a general rule, not aimed at you personally.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• DahkohtDahkoht Member UncommonPosts: 479

I am curious as well how the CU virus is being allowed to continue. Not to mention all the silly topics peeps made for every little thing that crosses their minds. Topics like the following wouldn't be a stretch of the truth.

Obviously these are all made up but to me the majorty of these threads are nothing but spam and useless info and I too am getting sick of sifting through all this crap.

I am extremely confused by this concept that people need to "sift through" posts in a specific subforum for a game they arent interested in.  Why would you go to that subforum if you really have no interest?

Its like complaining about the things being shown on TV channels that you arent watching.

Everyone doesn't just come here to visit their specific subforum for whatever game they are playing.  Many of the people on this site enjoy speaking on all the game forums, general, the pub and every other forum on this entire site.  They like talking about MMORPGs in general.  So yes, they do have to sift through silly topics constantly in order to get to the good discussions.  I don't see why this is so hard for people to understand.  Even if they don't visit the thread they are still reading the topics to see if it is worth joining the conversation. 

Why on earth would anyone read any forum like this?  It honestly is just baffling to me... Your opinion is not required on every single topic ever.  Do you chip in your 2cents about live games that you've never played before too?

But whatever, I'll still hold firm with the analogy that its like complaining that other things show up on the TV listings channel other than the shows you want to watch.

Your way of reading the forums baffles me , and would be very boring to me.

I prefer using the most recent posts , reading a variety of topics.

Shockingly I'm not the only one either.

• DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818
    Originally posted by Dahkoht

I've got no issue with multiple threads talking about CU this and that.

But specifically , repeatedly ad naseum  , asking directly for $$ threads/posts is a different thing.

^ this.

People can spam stupid questions about Cu all they like. It's annoying but it's part of sharing a multigame site with everyone.

The posts asking people for money is way over the line and all of them should be delieted.  KS should get nothing more than a post saying it's started. None of this guilt trip BS about saving the industry garbage or if you gave 5 you can give 10. These threads are starting to sound like televangelists.

• BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254
    Originally posted by Distopia

I read the forums like that. I suppose it's because I enjoy it. I chip in about games I've never played every once in a while - especially if I want to find out more information or if there is an interesting discussion happening. Why would anyone limit themselves to a single forum?

If you read them like that that's your choice, that doesn't mean MMORPG.com should regulate a forums activity because you're sick of seeing "too many" threads for a certain game. I say this as a general rule, not aimed at you personally.

Yeah, I even stated a few days ago that people that get bothered by it should probably just avoid MMORPG.com for a while.

However, there weren't threads asking for money directly at that time. To me, it appears like that "advertising" line has been crossed. Because there is no way to determine whether or not the person asking for money is related to CSE or Mark Jacobs, I think that threads that ask for money directly is a breach of that rule. Being excited and talking about a game makes sense to me (if occasionally annoying when taken to the extreme). Actually begging for money is different to me.

Btw, aren't you the one that started a thread the other day wondering about how MMORPG was going to treat Kickstarter when it came to advertising?

• Shadowguy64Shadowguy64 Member Posts: 848

I'm not a fan of the 30+ threads of "What CU / KS means to me and why I contrinuted $250"

Can you imagine if everyone created a thread like that?

What WoW means to me, by player #1

What Wow means to me, by player #2

What GW2 means to me, by player #1

etc. x thousands...

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

Yeah, I even stated a few days ago that people that get bothered by it should probably just avoid MMORPG.com for a while.

However, there weren't threads asking for money directly at that time. To me, it appears like that "advertising" line has been crossed. Because there is no way to determine whether or not the person asking for money is related to CSE or Mark Jacobs, I think that threads that ask for money directly is a breach of that rule. Being excited and talking about a game makes sense to me (if occasionally annoying). Actually begging for money is different to me.

Btw, aren't you the one that started a thread the other day wondering about how MMORPG was going to treat Kickstarter when it came to advertising?

Yes I was but simply because I knew the rule existed and wondered how they'd approach that in terms of  CU as well as all KS's. (they rely on player/backer advertisments) I didn't ask because I wanted them removed.

The asking for money bit is questionable IMO as well. However I don't think MMORPG should remove them due to a few people not wanting to see it, on the other hand if they feel it breaks their rules, then I'd understand that.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• TaldierTaldier Member CommonPosts: 235

You dont have to limit yourself to a single forum.  I certainly post on lots of different online forums and many subforums within those.  But online forums are structured for a reason to keep conversation organized and form communities.

I certainly dont jump into forums about games I dont play just to scream "Im right and youre wrong! Here is why your game sucks, lets talk about this game I play".  Obviously thats not targetted directly at you, but it represents a large portion of the comments we are seeing on the CU boards.

I suppose I just really dont understand how someone else talking about something theyre excited about in their own little space is so offensive to people.

• MentalAnarchyMentalAnarchy Member Posts: 14
    I think perhaps some of us are getting a little too worked up over this.  Just an observation.

• TribeofOneTribeofOne Member UncommonPosts: 1,006
    Originally posted by MentalAnarchy

Word of warning, be careful on this topic.  Bans happen, sometimes due to the silliest things..

QFT - anything and EVERYTHING is being reported as "excessively negative" by those who use it to try to censor away posts,topics,ideas they dont like.

on the topic, If you look at the thread starters and bumpers you'll see the same names over and over.. there really isnt that large of a CU following as some would like it to appear.

..and I agree with a previous poster a forum activity "blacklist" would be great. Ive already had to turn sigs off because of some oversized CU sig offenders

• RocketeerRocketeer Member UncommonPosts: 1,303

Im a backer of CU and i think all the money begging(and thats what it is, sorry) should atleast be confined to a single thread.

Besides that, you see alot of CU posts on the livetracker because its one of the most active forums. So its actually doing nothing more or less than representing the majorities interests to the best of its abilities. If you want to see other forums/threads more on the livetracker, you have to post more in them.

Yet what you DO is post in the CU forums aswell complaining about the amount of posts/threads, thus increasing traffic even more and make it show up more on the livetracker. With all due respect, thats the definition of stupidity as far as i am aware off.

Also most posts about about CU outside of the CU subforums seem to be complains like this one, so your actually not only increasing traffic in CU subforums, your even spreading the problem around to other previously non contaminated forums. Either this is some genius yet unethical way to spread awareness of CU even more by some misguided fans in disguise or ... sigh.

• DoogiehowserDoogiehowser Member Posts: 1,873
    I am still waiting for some official response to this topic because OP makes sense.

"The problem is that the hardcore folks always want the same thing: 'We want exactly what you gave us before, but it has to be completely different.'
    -Jesse Schell

"Online gamers are the most ludicrously entitled beings since Caligula made his horse a senator, and at least the horse never said anything stupid."
    -Luke McKinney

• RocketeerRocketeer Member UncommonPosts: 1,303
    Originally posted by Doogiehowser
    I am still waiting for some official response to this topic because OP makes sense.

No he does not, he doesn't understand the concept of an advertisement.

Advertisements by nature are distinct from opinions by the fact that they are paid for.

If i say "cola tastes great" thats my opinion.

If i say "cola tastes great" and get 5$ from the coca cola company for that its an advertisement.

The rule the op is talking about is meant in the context that commercial activity is supposed to happen through official channels, since mmorpg.com wants to charge money for that, its not a free blackboard you can pin your marketing crap on.

Kickstarter projects obviously get a "out-of-jail-free-card" because they are community projects and because the people making this site happen to love MMOs and probably want to see more of them made. Usually its only companies that get hit with a stick for begging, players asking other players to support game xy is something else. It lacks the financial betterment, they don't ask for money so that they themselves get more money, they ask for someone else so that something they love can be created.

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440
    Originally posted by Eir_S
    Originally posted by RefMinor

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/realtime/

for those who seem to struggle with the idea

Glad to see someone else pays attention around here..

Plus this list is, at least in part, updated on the front page, where I usually refresh when I'm bored.

Either way regardless of that, forum sections exist for a reason, if a person is sick of a certain forums activity, they should avoid that forum, if they want to see more discussion on other games, visit the forum for those games. Moaning about which has the most activity or content you don't want to see is akin to moaning about self inflicted wounds.

True, but people still do it.  I tend to avoid CU threads unless they're in the general forum or the question/statement is aimed at me and people like me.  This one was a good opportunity to give my opinion without getting yelled at by CU fans for absolutely no reason.

• Instigator-JonesInstigator-Jones Member UncommonPosts: 530
    I'm starting to find the humor in this; in the beginning all the fan rage FOR the game ramped up the posts. NOW the fan rage AGAINST the game is boiling. The eb and flow of posts at the critical time when the CU KS needs it is pretty funny, and quite predictable. It would be hilarious if the KS fails and is attributed to the excessive posts promoting CU to begin with.
  • DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818
    Originally posted by TribeofOne

on the topic, If you look at the thread starters and bumpers you'll see the same names over and over.. there really isnt that large of a CU following as some would like it to appear.

I think even they've noticed this. More and more you see people saying " aren't you the guy that posted just the other day...... "

• GyrusGyrus Member UncommonPosts: 2,413
    Originally posted by TribeofOne
    Originally posted by MentalAnarchy

Word of warning, be careful on this topic.  Bans happen, sometimes due to the silliest things..

QFT - anything and EVERYTHING is being reported as "excessively negative" by those who use it to try to censor away posts,topics,ideas they dont like.

I call it the "fanboi flame (&lock)" - MMORPG.com are aware.  Or at least they should be if they read the forums!?

8-D

My Blue text

I wonder how many of these people are employees of cf-publishing myself?

http://www.cf-publishing.com/international/

(scroll down and check the clients - CSE announced this in their dev blogs)

On one hand - I sorta support 'viral marketing' - but only if it's genuine.  What I mean is genuinely excited people, unpaid, supporting and talking about something they believe in / enjoy.  There are a few games I would never have seen if it weren't for this.  I like talking to gamers about games.

But paid 'shills' annoy me.  Because they probably don't even play half the games they promote.

Nothing says irony like spelling ideot wrong.

• mklinicmklinic Member RarePosts: 1,981
    Originally posted by Gyrus

But paid 'shills' annoy me.  Because they probably don't even play half the games they promote.

For what it's worth, there was a topic (now locked) on the whole "shill" thing: http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/382395

MarkJacobs posted his position on shills as well as a request for both sides pro-CU/con-CU to tone it down (port #56) so it seems he at least agrees with some of the sentiment of this thread. Whether someone believes him or not is their call of course, but thought it relevant to your post.

-mklinic

"Do something right, no one remembers.
    Do something wrong, no one forgets"
    -from No One Remembers by In Strict Confidence

• BoldynBoldyn Member Posts: 265

I was issued a warning when I answered one of the "omg please donate" threads, stating that there is no way anyone on this site does not know that there is a KS project called CU and if people want to, they will pledge. I also stated that if all those posts accomplished just one thing, it would be to make me NOT want to pledge becuase of all the spam.

Apperently it got flagged for flaming :)

• TuktzTuktz Member Posts: 299

1) There is a big difference between advertising, and word of mouth (referrals). I know, because I work in financial advisement industry, and this concept is HIGHLY regulated.

2) If all the posts about camelot unchained are in the CU forum, how is that spamming mmorpg? If anything, I've seen people from all over the boards FLOCK to the CU forums to troll/bash it whenever a thread is posted.

Simple solution, stop reading/posting/browsing the camelot unchained subsection of the forums if it bothers you so much.

The strange this is, I don't mind other people being excited about other games, so why does that bother so many here on mmorpg with CU? I don't care if I see posts from others about whatever game X Y Z they are excited about. Nor do I go to the forums specifically set up for them to talk about it, and trash talk all their posts about said game.

MMO history - EVE GW2 SWTOR RIFT WAR COH/V EQ2 WOW DAOC
    Tuktz - http://www.heretic.shivtr.com/

• meddyckmeddyck Member UncommonPosts: 1,282
    Here's a novel idea. If there is a thread on the CU forum that you think violates the TOS, then report it and let the mods do their job. Posts like this just stir up flame wars.

DAOC Live (inactive): R11 Cleric R11 Druid R11 Minstrel R9 Eldritch R6 Sorc R6 Scout R6 Healer

• AmanaAmana Moderator UncommonPosts: 3,912
    CU discussion and Kickstarter threads should be in the CU forum, so if you see any outside there, you can report them. But merely discussing a game in threads where there is a related point of discussion or theme isn't against the rules and/or advertising. If it becomes excessive or hijacks a thread, that is, however.

To give feedback on moderation, contact [email protected]

This discussion has been closed.