Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

750k in 13 days?

2»

Comments

• aesperusaesperus Member UncommonPosts: 5,135

Dunno if it'll happen or not.

However, what tends to happen w/ Kickstarters is a fairly massive funding push at the last minute. Most kickstarters don't make the majority of their goal mid-way through the pledge. Most of the funds come at the beginning & end of the kickstarter. I'd expect to see another big push ~a week from now.

That said, whether or not that last minute push will be enough, remains to be seen.

• SabasSabas Member UncommonPosts: 217
    Originally posted by PerfArt
    Pandamin, there is such a staggering amount of content on the KS, CSE's site, and game site interviews that addresses those things, that if you are actually into the game concept yet have not read/heard the answers to that question, it is hard to know where to start without a lot of spare time.

Honestly,

I have read and seen everything there is.

On the website and on the KS page.

Nowhere is it explained how they are planning to avoid past mistakes.

edit: to clarify, yes we know what whent wrong before, everybody knows. But not once is he specific in HOW to do it differently.

• ZiftylrhavicZiftylrhavic Member Posts: 222

Originally posted by andre369
    Ugh, I have my doubts... What happens if it doesn't reach 2 million? I would love to play a PvP MMO but right now it doesnt seem like it will happen...

MJ said in his last video in the KS updates to not panic. He has major updates incoming, at the scale of The Depth.

Originally posted by Fendel84M

Originally posted by Maric
    Did you see how much Garriot's Shroud of the Avatar gained in it's last 5 days?  Star Citizen?  Pathfinder Online?  It's easily doable.

Shroud of the Avatar reached to a larger audience though. For one, non MMO Ultima fans and classic Single Player RPGers. Garriot is a bigger name in the gaming industry. And the game will contain a lot of features that appeal to a very broad range of playstyles.

CU is really targetting a niche audience, which is fine. But can a niche target bring 2mil? Garriot's game only barely reached 2 million on the last day. I know myself I have fond memories of DAOC but the lack of any PvE turned me off. I'm not saying he should cater to me or anyone else, just stating my opinion and i'm sure the opinion of at least a few others.

It's sad because he should have just set a 1million goal and hoped for 2. I'm willing to bet Kickstarter gets a bigger cut of the surplus pledges. Otherwise why would anyone set their goal higher than like $1 knowing that they could potentially not get anything.

There will be PvE, did you see the video about The Depth? I think you may really like it :)

• meddyckmeddyck Member UncommonPosts: 1,282
    Originally posted by Pandamin

Here's a few past mistakes and how they will be avoided:

1. WAR had 2 factions. CU will have 3 factions.
    2. TOA. CU has no PvE or loot drops.

DAOC Live (inactive): R11 Cleric R11 Druid R11 Minstrel R9 Eldritch R6 Sorc R6 Scout R6 Healer

• BowbowDAoCBowbowDAoC Member UncommonPosts: 472

Torment raised nearly a million in last 4 days. 

Edit : Sorry, closer to 800,000 not amillion.

Bowbow (kob hunter) Infecto (kob cave shammy) and Thurka (troll warrior) on Merlin/Midgard DAoC
    Thurka on WAR

• Ice-QueenIce-Queen Member UncommonPosts: 2,483
    Originally posted by morbuskabis

The thing is, that the EU crowd can only back when we hit the 2 million goal, because at that point PayPal will be allowed. There are a lot of ppl in EU whant to support this game but don't have credit card. Quite some ppl in my guild whant to pledge but can't for that reason.

Its sad that MJ did not give the EU ppl the chance to pledge on his official homepage with PayPal. The PvP crowd in EU is strong and is as big as the NA.

Still hope we can make it to the 2 million....

MJ has already said why he hasn't done that. People would be charged immediately from paypal, whereas from kickstarter you only get charged if it funds. When it funds though, those that wan to pledge can with paypal.

What happens when you log off your characters????.....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFQhfhnjYMk
    Dark Age of Camelot

• morbuskabismorbuskabis Member Posts: 290

Originally posted by Ulorik
    Originally posted by morbuskabis The thing is, that the EU crowd can only back when we hit the 2 million goal, because at that point PayPal will be allowed. There are a lot of ppl in EU whant to support this game but don't have credit card. Quite some ppl in my guild whant to pledge but can't for that reason. Its sad that MJ did not give the EU ppl the chance to pledge on his official homepage with PayPal. The PvP crowd in EU is strong and is as big as the NA. Still hope we can make it to the 2 million....  
    Don't know where you get this idea from.

Anyway, most RvR starved gamers who look fondly back to DaoC do have this thing called Credit Card, thats how I did my backing from the UK at least.

There is a country that is called Germany. It happens, that quite some folks there don't have Credit Cards. Just because you not aware of that, dosn't mean its not true...

I'm not from there, but my guild is mostly german and they don't own a CC.

image -Massive-Industries- Heavy Duty

• GyrusGyrus Member UncommonPosts: 2,413
    Originally posted by meddyck

2. ...

Of all the things... this is the 'lamest'.

What follows is IMHO (so if you can give me info showing me the error of my ways please do)

RvR in WAR didn't fail because it only had 2 factions.

It failed because of population imbalance.  Population imbalance isn't fixed by having 3 factions, or 4 factions, or three factions and a 4th 'faction' that just acts as a 'spoiler'... or eleventy billion factions.

Population imbalance is something that will always happen (not quite true - I have a solution - but it cannot work in this case) so what RvR game designers need to do is;

accept that it will happen

accept that gamers are arseholes and like to win (particularly the PvP crowd)

think about what game mechanics they can use to 'balance' out games when this happens.

They also need to think about how far they want to take this 'balancing'.  It can be taken too far.  When players organise an attack... plan for days or weeks... spend weeks building up resources... think about tactics and objectives... all that shouldn't be taken away from them in the name of 'balance'.

OTOH - when a side is beaten to a pulp - they need some kind of respite to get back on their feet - paying players don't pay to be targets 100% of the time.

And that's the challenge for RvR game designers.  But if your one and only answer is "We will have THREE realms!  THAT will fix it!"  Then no... sorry.

And some game settings would be easier than others too:

WH40K for example would be dead easy to 'balance'.  But not the way Vigil was going with it. 

Nothing says irony like spelling ideot wrong.

• RhazmuzRhazmuz Member UncommonPosts: 208

Im quite interested in this more or less de facto fact which alot bring up, which is that "all other KS projects had a huge influx in the last days, so you dont need to worry, we will fund. Just look at xx xx xx", with xx being references to other projects. 

Now Im interested in how valid this proposition really is. I mean do we have enough empirical evidence to say this is a life cycle that all KS projects go through, or are people only reliening on some part of the KS history in order to bring about this idea that all KS projects get a huge influx in the last days, when in reality maybe only 50% does?

And more importantly, does it even make sense to infer anythign from prvious KS projects, which all whwre unique and thus might draw in a completely seperate crowd.

im not saying CU wont fund, even tho pledging has stalle dquite abit since day 5 or something, Im just questioning how much you can rely on previous KS projects to assure yourself that CU is in no danger of not funding, whne in fact it might easily be.

• HjamnrHjamnr Member Posts: 163
    Originally posted by Gyrus
    Originally posted by meddyck

2. ...

Of all the things... this is the 'lamest'.

What follows is IMHO (so if you can give me info showing me the error of my ways please do)

RvR in WAR didn't fail because it only had 2 factions.

It failed because of population imbalance.  Population imbalance isn't fixed by having 3 factions, or 4 factions, or three factions and a 4th 'faction' that just acts as a 'spoiler'... or eleventy billion factions.

Population imbalance is something that will always happen (not quite true - I have a solution - but it cannot work in this case) so what RvR game designers need to do is;

accept that it will happen

accept that gamers are arseholes and like to win (particularly the PvP crowd)

think about what game mechanics they can use to 'balance' out games when this happens.

They also need to think about how far they want to take this 'balancing'.  It can be taken too far.  When players organise an attack... plan for days or weeks... spend weeks building up resources... think about tactics and objectives... all that shouldn't be taken away from them in the name of 'balance'.

OTOH - when a side is beaten to a pulp - they need some kind of respite to get back on their feet - paying players don't pay to be targets 100% of the time.

And that's the challenge for RvR game designers.  But if your one and only answer is "We will have THREE realms!  THAT will fix it!"  Then no... sorry.

And some game settings would be easier than others too:

WH40K for example would be dead easy to 'balance'.  But not the way Vigil was going with it. 

You obviously do not comprehend the way 3-faction dynamics work, in RvR.   From your post, you clearly did not play DAoC, so you don't have a clear frame of reference to understand this.

2 is stupid, and where you really get population imbalances.  3?  3 you do actually have spoilers.  While the system isn't perfect, it works 95% better than a 2-faction system.

• TuktzTuktz Member Posts: 299

SO far the CU kickstarter has followed the trend of past games that funded through kickstarter. Big surge at beginning, lull in middle, and big surge at end (from people on the fence not wanting to miss their chance, diehard fans upping their pledge, etc...).

The question is, will the final few days bump be enough to push it over 2 million, and if so will it hit stretch goals.

I sincerely hope it does, because at this point this game is the only option left for me out there in the mmo space.

All the others have gone themepark / super casual friendly, and nothing is interesting anymore. There's some pretty graphics, some pretty explosions and scenery, but after the ooo and aahs of that wears off, you realize that fundamental enjoyable gameplay, that even games as far back as 2000 are missing big time from modern mmos.

I just wonder, do all these bashers of CU understand that many of us that want this, NOBODY is offering this out there in the market. You want to deny us the ONE person trying to offer what we want?

You have dozens of themepark mmos. Let us at least have ONE of the type we want haha.

At this point anything can happen though. It's entirely possible it hits stretch goals, its entirely possible it barely hits the goal, and its entirely possible it hits like 1.6 or 1.7.

Only time will tell.

MMO history - EVE GW2 SWTOR RIFT WAR COH/V EQ2 WOW DAOC
    Tuktz - http://www.heretic.shivtr.com/

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Originally posted by Rhazmuz
    Im quite interested in this more or less de facto fact which alot bring up, which is that "all other KS projects had a huge influx in the last days, so you dont need to worry, we will fund. Just look at xx xx xx", with xx being references to other projects. Now Im interested in how valid this proposition really is. I mean do we have enough empirical evidence to say this is a life cycle that all KS projects go through, or are people only reliening on some part of the KS history in order to bring about this idea that all KS projects get a huge influx in the last days, when in reality maybe only 50% does?And more importantly, does it even make sense to infer anythign from prvious KS projects, which all whwre unique and thus might draw in a completely seperate crowd.im not saying CU wont fund, even tho pledging has stalle dquite abit since day 5 or something, Im just questioning how much you can rely on previous KS projects to assure yourself that CU is in no danger of not funding, whne in fact it might easily be.

Just browsing through KickTraq and there is a tendency for funded games to get a boost near the end. That's the thing though, prior to that last boost, unfunded and funded games look the same. We won't know if it's going to happen until it actually happens.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• RhazmuzRhazmuz Member UncommonPosts: 208
    Originally posted by Tuktz

SO far the CU kickstarter has followed the trend of past games that funded through kickstarter. Big surge at beginning, lull in middle, and big surge at end (from people on the fence not wanting to miss their chance, diehard fans upping their pledge, etc...).

The question is, will the final few days bump be enough to push it over 2 million, and if so will it hit stretch goals.

I sincerely hope it does, because at this point this game is the only option left for me out there in the mmo space.

All the others have gone themepark / super casual friendly, and nothing is interesting anymore. There's some pretty graphics, some pretty explosions and scenery, but after the ooo and aahs of that wears off, you realize that fundamental enjoyable gameplay, that even games as far back as 2000 are missing big time from modern mmos.

I just wonder, do all these bashers of CU understand that many of us that want this, NOBODY is offering this out there in the market. You want to deny us the ONE person trying to offer what we want?

You have dozens of themepark mmos. Let us at least have ONE of the type we want haha.

At this point anything can happen though. It's entirely possible it hits stretch goals, its entirely possible it barely hits the goal, and its entirely possible it hits like 1.6 or 1.7.

Only time will tell.

I dont think anyone has anything against you, or want to deny you pleasure from this kind of game.

However there simply might not be a big enough crowd to make it feasible, which is tough one to swallow. When you find hostility against the game on forums etc, I think it has more to do with people being generally fed up with all the threads etc about getting more people to pledge to the game.

• TuktzTuktz Member Posts: 299

Only time will tell.

I dont think anyone has anything against you, or want to deny you pleasure from this kind of game.

However there simply might not be a big enough crowd to make it feasible, which is tough one to swallow. When you find hostility against the game on forums etc, I think it has more to do with people being generally fed up with all the threads etc about getting more people to pledge to the game.

I understand that, but as much as they keep saying how sick of hearing about CU they are, they CONTINUE to browse and post in CU forum threads. That doesn't make any sense to me.

I'm not digging through the forum list on the left side, picking out random games, and posting in them that I'm tired of seeing posts about them LOL.

If you're tired of reading about CU, stop comign to the CU section, reading the threads, and posting in them maybe?

Add on top of that, people much less level headed than yourself sir, that ACTIVELY try to hurt CU's chances of funding. THAT'S whats irritating, not that rational discussions, but the constant hate and vitriol.

I wasn't that familiar with mmorpg before, but from what I've  read and seen other people since, it's kind of getting a rep in that regard.

MMO history - EVE GW2 SWTOR RIFT WAR COH/V EQ2 WOW DAOC
    Tuktz - http://www.heretic.shivtr.com/

• DanwarrDanwarr Member CommonPosts: 185

Only time will tell.

I understand that, but as much as they keep saying how sick of hearing about CU they are, they CONTINUE to browse and post in CU forum threads. That doesn't make any sense to me.

I'm not digging through the forum list on the left side, picking out random games, and posting in them that I'm tired of seeing posts about them LOL.

If you're tired of reading about CU, stop comign to the CU section, reading the threads, and posting in them maybe?

Add on top of that, people much less level headed than yourself sir, that ACTIVELY try to hurt CU's chances of funding. THAT'S whats irritating, not that rational discussions, but the constant hate and vitriol.

I wasn't that familiar with mmorpg before, but from what I've  read and seen other people since, it's kind of getting a rep in that regard.

Yeah, generally people seem to use MMORPG to have other random people on the internet validate their gaming behavior.

Not to say there aren't people who want to actually have discussions about MMOs and specific games, it's just generally about forum PvP.

Waiting: CU, WildStar, Destiny, Eternal Crusade
    Playing: ESO,DCUO
    Played: LotRO,RIFT,ToR,Warhammer, Runescape

• MaricMaric Member UncommonPosts: 98

Done with thousands less backers than we have now.

Relevant:  

• ThorkuneThorkune Member UncommonPosts: 1,969
    Originally posted by MikeJezZ

I myself would also really love to see a PvP game.

Sadly, the MMORPG crowd consists of people who fear Player vs Player.

It's not fear...it's because PvP isn't what it used to be. It now consists of nothing but zergfests and gankers.

• huskie77huskie77 Member Posts: 354

I back A LOT of KS projects but I just can't bring myself to devote any serious money to a game with beta ESTIMATED to be in almost 2 years. Too much can and will change in that time.  Did you preorder GTA6 yet? It should also be out in late 2015 or early 2016. How about WoW 2?

My point is that there is too large a window for any and everything to change as well as the project to run out of all funding sources long before then. Look how many games with big studios that get abandoned a year or two into development. I do hope they make the game and I will line up to pre-order 6 months out happily.

• MortifyMortify Member Posts: 95
    There's a nice stickie thread for the kickstarter progression discussion. Why not use that one? This is the umpteenth discussion thread already.

Methos, Armsman, EU Excalibur
    Jager, Infiltrator, EU Excalibur
    Phos, Cleric, EU Excalibur
    Mortify, Sorcerer, EU Excalibur

• DihoruDihoru Member Posts: 2,731

Too much CU on the frontpage...again... time to piss off fanatics of the game who keep spamming threads about a game in the design/funding phase:

What real PVPers hope CU does after being funded to its fanatics http://youtu.be/A_sY2rjxq6M /

• CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505
    Originally posted by morbuskabis

Originally posted by Ulorik

Originally posted by morbuskabis The thing is, that the EU crowd can only back when we hit the 2 million goal, because at that point PayPal will be allowed. There are a lot of ppl in EU whant to support this game but don't have credit card. Quite some ppl in my guild whant to pledge but can't for that reason. Its sad that MJ did not give the EU ppl the chance to pledge on his official homepage with PayPal. The PvP crowd in EU is strong and is as big as the NA. Still hope we can make it to the 2 million....  
    Don't know where you get this idea from.

Anyway, most RvR starved gamers who look fondly back to DaoC do have this thing called Credit Card, thats how I did my backing from the UK at least.

There is a country that is called Germany. It happens, that quite some folks there don't have Credit Cards. Just because you not aware of that, dosn't mean its not true...

I'm not from there, but my guild is mostly german and they don't own a CC.

That might be the case but you dont need a credit card to back this... just a bank card registered on the amazon site. I am pretty sure peopel in germany have bank cards they can buy stuff online with.

• AmanaAmana Moderator UncommonPosts: 3,912
    Kickstarter progress discussion belongs in the stickied thread.

To give feedback on moderation, contact [email protected]

This discussion has been closed.