Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Defiance gets 5.9 ( Mediocre ) from Ign.com

12346»

Comments

• KaeriganKaerigan Member Posts: 689
    Originally posted by Bigdaddyx

Before patch 5/10 but after patch i will give it 4/10 and i am still being generous because blowing things is fun but bugs are really spoiling that too. I lost my purple and orange weapons, progression on my LMG and roller got reset back to 0 from 18, voice chat is still bugged and chat box now stays on for whole 10 secs instead of 3. And this is just handful of problems introduced by latest patch.

I guess if critics had reviewed the game after latest patch the scores would have gone down even more.

I haven't ran into to any such bugs (yet?) thankfully, but I do have to agree about the chat window. What gives, Trion? How hard is it to let the chat box stay up long enough so I can see if someone writes something? As it is now someone'll write something during an arkfall, a time where I'm very busy, and I won't notice someone has written something until long after.

<childish, provocative and highly speculative banner about your favorite game goes here>

• DreskestDreskest Member Posts: 69

I couldn't care less what IGN gave to Defiance. I have always played games and decided for myself if they are good enough and provide the entertainment I am looking for.

In the case of Defiance, I found the game to be rather simple, after all it's mainly just a shooter, but it's a fun shooter.

It's also not the only game I play so my shooting sessions there are always welcome for a change of pace.

As stated before, I decide for myself, and I feel sorry for those who follow advice of morons on the internet like Angry Joe or gaming sites like IGN or MMORPG.

• ThaneThane Member EpicPosts: 3,534
    Originally posted by birdycephon

Yeah I'm not surprised.

I mean, if a SyFy show is better than the game, that should tell you something.

i knew this would happen sooner or later.....

a) SciFi : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Science_fiction

b) SyFy : http://www.syfy.com/

science fiction is a genre, syfy is a tv station canceling all the good scifi shows they had.

don't mix those 2 up pls. there is no "y" in science OR fiction

"I'll never grow up, never grow up, never grow up! Not me!"

• RedMachine72RedMachine72 Member UncommonPosts: 154
    After reading the review, gotta say on some points it's spot on, on others he is way off as well as others on this site. I have been playing since launch and have encountered no real problems except the fiasco with the new patch. But then again, I have also been playing SW:ToR since prelaunch and it had more problems than Defiance has had as far as I have seen. Servers have been up more than ToR at launch and they were at 95%. Have people had problems connecting, sure, but don't always blame the game without looking at your ISP first. Sometimes buggy AI, well duh, same as I have seen in almost all the others MMO's I have taken part in at launch. The first 6 months of most MMO's are the toughest when it comes to bugs and things that need patching. IMHO, no MMO should have a full review until after 6 months have gone by and a lot of stuff has been dealt with already. Shooters are some peoples cup of tea, others not so much. If you like shooters it can be fun. If you like swinging swords, you won't like Defiance.
  • AZHokie54AZHokie54 Member UncommonPosts: 295
    Remind me again what score IGN gave SWTOR... Oh yeah, 9/10. They're spot on with their reviews.
  • AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    Originally posted by AZHokie54
    Remind me again what score IGN gave SWTOR... Oh yeah, 9/10. They're spot on with their reviews.

agreed they overscore all their reviews:)

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• RictisRictis Member UncommonPosts: 1,300
    Originally posted by Damedius

You mean the same IGN that gave Bioshock Infinite a 9.5/10?

I'll take whatever they have to say with a grain of salt.

My time played for Bioshock Infinite is 5 hours.

My time played for Defiance is 120+ hours.

Well, I tend to use IGN but change their score by 2 - 3 points usually. So if something is a 9.5 i assume its an 7.5 etc... that has generally helped out quite  a bit. Very Rarely are they right on the mark.

Bioshock Infinite for me was a 9.0. It was a game that was very well made, and had a great and engaging story. Albeit some of it was a bioshock rehash, they did a very good job with what they had for a current gen game.

I played and beat Bioshock within 10 hours and that was exploring everything, I feel that if you only played it for 5 hours then you missed out.

• aesperusaesperus Member UncommonPosts: 5,135
    Originally posted by Aerowyn
    Originally posted by AZHokie54

agreed they overscore all their reviews:)

Aye ^

Honestly this is probably one of the few honest reviews IGN has done in a long time.

I guess Trion forgot to send them free swag.

• vmopedvmoped Member Posts: 1,708
    Originally posted by Aerowyn
    from a review site that overscores most all games and especially MMOs this was pretty surprising

Exactly my thought!  I think in fairness it is a good game for Xbox and PS3, but mediocre at best for the pc.

Cheers!

MMO Vet since AOL Neverwinter Nights circa 1992. My MMO beat up your MMO. =S

• MargulisMargulis Member CommonPosts: 1,614
    Actually Defiance scored between 5-7 from close to 20 professional reviews now so it really doesn't matter what IGN says
  • fantasyfreak112fantasyfreak112 Member Posts: 499
    I think we all saw this game geting low scores coming.
  • LaserwolfLaserwolf Member Posts: 2,383

To each their own. I've been playing MMOs since the early days of UO and have found few of them enjoyable. WoW and LOTRO were exceptions, but even those didn't last too long. The highly praised Guild Wars had me bored in a day. I'm enjoying Defiance. I also bought it knowing full well it wasn't an MMORPG. It's feels a lot like a multiplayer version of crackdown (loved it), which I expected it would.

As for reviews, if you want to know where to find them done right, check out shacknews.com and their podcast Weekend Confirmed. They're honest, provide a number of viewpoints (on the podcast) and don't throw out meaningless numbers and stars. They tell you what the game is like, it's pros and cons, and then throw in a little of their personal opinion.

• TheKrautTheKraut Member Posts: 48

Can agree with everything in the review.

This game is as much a MMO as Battlefield 3 is.

Hell, in BF3 I at least have a team/group that I am working toward an objective with.

• GoldiusGoldius Member UncommonPosts: 42

A percentage on the review score would be based on the amount of advertising the developer spent with the site. Less money= slightly lower score than sites where the developer spent more.

The consensus of 5-7 in scores shows the reality though.

Based on my theory MMORPG will give Scarlet Blade will get a higher score here (mmorpg) than other sites even though its real rating should be 1.5 )

• grimalgrimal Member UncommonPosts: 2,935
    Originally posted by TheKraut

Can agree with everything in the review.

This game is as much a MMO as Battlefield 3 is.

Hell, in BF3 I at least have a team/group that I am working toward an objective with.

I bought the game when it was on sale a week or so ago for $33.

I haven't played it much, but the amount that I have played, I do not like.  It feels like a very cheap 3rd person shooter to me.  And the focus on PVE seems like a step backward if you have played any online first or third person shooters (APB:R included).

Not sure why but there is absolutely 0 falling damage in this game.  Not sure why that's a choice?  Did the Earth's gravity change or something?

For those that like it, good for you.  I'm not saying it's a bad game;  I just do not like what I have played thus far.

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440
    Originally posted by Goldius

A percentage on the review score would be based on the amount of advertising the developer spent with the site. Less money= slightly lower score than sites where the developer spent more.

The consensus of 5-7 in scores shows the reality though.

Based on my theory MMORPG will give Scarlet Blade will get a higher score here (mmorpg) than other sites even though its real rating should be 1.5 )

I don't know, the dialogue and the combat were still better than Forsaken World and that got a 7.3 somehow even though it was like playing with a Chinese finger trap in the dark, underwater.