Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

750k in 13 days?

andre369andre369 Member UncommonPosts: 970
Ugh, I have my doubts... What happens if it doesn't reach 2 million? I would love to play a PvP MMO but right now it doesnt seem like it will happen...

Comments

• furbansfurbans Member UncommonPosts: 968
    I thought it was getting funded no matter what.  If the kickstarter fails then what-his-name was dropping 2 mill, which he will be dropping 2 mill no matter what.  Thouhgt that was what he said in his promises.
  • MaricMaric Member UncommonPosts: 98
    Did you see how much Garriot's Shroud of the Avatar gained in it's last 5 days?  Star Citizen?  Pathfinder Online?  It's easily doable.
  • andre369andre369 Member UncommonPosts: 970
    Originally posted by furbans
    I thought it was getting funded no matter what.  If the kickstarter fails then what-his-name was dropping 2 mill, which he will be dropping 2 mill no matter what.  Thouhgt that was what he said in his promises.

Rewatched the video, he said he would fund wether it eaches 2, 2,1 3 or more. He does not mention what happens if it does not reach 2.

9:10 he talks about it.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/13861848/camelot-unchained

• Dreamo84Dreamo84 Member UncommonPosts: 3,713
    Originally posted by Maric
    Did you see how much Garriot's Shroud of the Avatar gained in it's last 5 days?  Star Citizen?  Pathfinder Online?  It's easily doable.

Shroud of the Avatar reached to a larger audience though. For one, non MMO Ultima fans and classic Single Player RPGers. Garriot is a bigger name in the gaming industry. And the game will contain a lot of features that appeal to a very broad range of playstyles.

CU is really targetting a niche audience, which is fine. But can a niche target bring 2mil? Garriot's game only barely reached 2 million on the last day. I know myself I have fond memories of DAOC but the lack of any PvE turned me off. I'm not saying he should cater to me or anyone else, just stating my opinion and i'm sure the opinion of at least a few others.

It's sad because he should have just set a 1million goal and hoped for 2. I'm willing to bet Kickstarter gets a bigger cut of the surplus pledges. Otherwise why would anyone set their goal higher than like $1 knowing that they could potentially not get anything.

• 1 mil isn't enough for the game he wants to make, so that would be a bit of a problem if he only got 1 mil.
  • Dreamo84Dreamo84 Member UncommonPosts: 3,713
    Originally posted by Axxar
    1 mil isn't enough for the game he wants to make, so that would be a bit of a problem if he only got 1 mil.

Better than zero though if he doesn't reach 2 mil. One thing I wonder, with this game targeting such a niche audience. What happens at launch? Are the majority of its audience going to already have a copy of the game from kickstarter? If so, that might really hurt launch sales...

• WW4BWWW4BW Member UncommonPosts: 501
    Originally posted by Maric

They had better videos.... They atleast had enough already done to give people a feel for the graphics, style, and scale.

I pledged, because I have been asking for a new DAoC.. personally I liked the PvE too. But I believe we need to see how well a proper RvR game would stack up in the current game enviroment. 

RIght now I dont think it will reach the target though. There were a lot of pledges early on from people that feel the same as I about RvR, but not much has happened since.

If it the Kickstarter fails, I hope CSE will seek other funding for the moment and then focus on making a proper demo with less vapor in it.. And then try for another KS with a shorter pledge to product wait.

They have very little to show at the moment, except ideas and concept art. And having to wait almost a year for alpha and more than 2 years for a game is pretty intangible.

• SorninSornin Member Posts: 1,133

Well, 13 days is a lot of time, but on the other hand, I believe most hardcore fans have made their pledges, so it will be a tough road. We still do not know a few things for sure, though.

Firstly, how many people plan on pledging and have not? Surely some people fall in this category and will be backing it.

Secondly, how many people will be convinced by what CSE intends to reveal in these last crucial days? If they reveal some awesome stuff and actually get some coverage, it might pull in a lot of backers.

Thirdly, how much additional support will current backers give? Cumulatively this could amount to a massive boost just by people pledging more. Tough to call, exactly. It could amount to $50,000, it could amount to $250,000.

Anyway, I admit that I felt there would be more backers at this point, as well as a higher pledge total. It goes to show it is tough to predict things like this; I counted on there being a lot more former DAoC players who wanted to see something like this, but that did not happen on the scale I estimated. A lack of focus on PvE could be responsible for that, but I am sure many reasons exist.

I still hope it funds, and I have pledged a lot to do my part, as well as tried to get as many people to check it out as possible. Past that, I can only wait for May 2 and the results. I do think it will be close, and I have lost some confidence in it funding, but I have not lost any confidence in CSE or CU. If it does not fund, I hope the project can still happen, because it is the only MMORPG I am looking forward to and it would be a shame if some of these great ideas never get a chance to be realized.

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Originally posted by Sornin

I still hope it funds, and I have pledged a lot to do my part, as well as tried to get as many people to check it out as possible. Past that, I can only wait for May 2 and the results. I do think it will be close, and I have lost some confidence in it funding, but I have not lost any confidence in CSE or CU. If it does not fund, I hope the project can still happen, because it is the only MMORPG I am looking forward to and it would be a shame if some of these great ideas never get a chance to be realized.

A lot of video game Kickstarter campaigns, especially ones with established developers at the helm tend to have a decent rally of the troops during the final week. Pathfinder Online and Shroud of the Avatar are two notable examples. I can easily see the same happening with CU.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• sketocafesketocafe Member UncommonPosts: 950
    I wouldn't worry about it OP. It was a month-long thing right? That means you've got a little over a third of the time left and  a little under two thirds of the goal pledged. Crowdsourcing is a fairly new deal but I think we've already seen enough to know that the trend is for the most funding activity to occur at the beginning and end of the kickstarter. Right now you guys are in the boringly slow middle bit, and seem on track to get it done. You should also expect more attention from the gaming media as the kickstarter draws to a close.
  • MkilbrideMkilbride Member UncommonPosts: 643

If a piece of crap like Pathfinder can get about 400,000 in it's last 4 days...then CU can definitely

No offense to Pathfinder, but they promise the MOON in terms of features...while CU keeps it simple, which is why I think they can deliver. Pathfinder promises things that big name developers could never offer, and just really isn't possible, but words it really nicely, hence why I don't like it. They promise stuff, like Peter M, that just won';t be anything.

Help get Camelot Unchained made, a old-school MMORPG, with no hand holding!

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/13861848/camelot-unchained

• FoggyeFoggye Member UncommonPosts: 96
    DON'T PANIC
  • MikeJezZMikeJezZ Member UncommonPosts: 1,268

I myself would also really love to see a PvP game.

Sadly, the MMORPG crowd consists of people who fear Player vs Player.

• CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505
    Originally posted by andre369
    Ugh, I have my doubts... What happens if it doesn't reach 2 million? I would love to play a PvP MMO but right now it doesnt seem like it will happen...

Pretty sure it will have no issues doing that.. will probally happen in the last week/few days..

If it does not make 2 million then it does not get made..

If you want to play a PVP only mmo closest out there is planetside 2 and its pretty good and free to play :)

• MikeJezZMikeJezZ Member UncommonPosts: 1,268
    Originally posted by Caldrin
    Originally posted by andre369

Pretty sure it will have no issues doing that.. will probally happen in the last week/few days..

If it does not make 2 million then it does not get made..

If you want to play a PVP only mmo closest out there is planetside 2 and its pretty good and free to play :)

There's a huge different between a MMOFPS and a MMORPG.

Just saying.

• morbuskabismorbuskabis Member Posts: 290

The thing is, that the EU crowd can only back when we hit the 2 million goal, because at that point PayPal will be allowed. There are a lot of ppl in EU whant to support this game but don't have credit card. Quite some ppl in my guild whant to pledge but can't for that reason.

Its sad that MJ did not give the EU ppl the chance to pledge on his official homepage with PayPal. The PvP crowd in EU is strong and is as big as the NA.

Still hope we can make it to the 2 million....

image -Massive-Industries- Heavy Duty

• hfztthfztt Member RarePosts: 1,401
    Originally posted by MikeJezZ

I myself would also really love to see a PvP game.

Sadly, the MMORPG crowd consists of people who fear Player vs Player.

I am fairly sure that this site has the LARGEST crowd of pro PvP in MMO of the major MMO sites out there.

Just saying.

• hfztthfztt Member RarePosts: 1,401
    Originally posted by morbuskabis

The thing is, that the EU crowd can only back when we hit the 2 million goal, because at that point PayPal will be allowed. There are a lot of ppl in EU whant to support this game but don't have credit card. Quite some ppl in my guild whant to pledge but can't for that reason.

I am not sure where in the EU you live, but up here north everybody have credit cards from age 16 and up.

Originally posted by MikeJezZ
    Originally posted by Caldrin

There's a huge different between a MMOFPS and a MMORPG.

Just saying.

Yeah but he did not ask for a MMORPG.. just a PVP MMO..

Its sad that MJ did not give the EU ppl the chance to pledge on his official homepage with PayPal. The PvP crowd in EU is strong and is as big as the NA.

btw you dont need a credit card.. you just need your bank card.. and i am pretty sure everyone in the EU has a bank card capable of online payments..

So there is no reason for anyone not to back this.. well if they want to that is.

• UlorikUlorik Member UncommonPosts: 179

Don't know where you get this idea from.

Anyway, most RvR starved gamers who look fondly back to DaoC do have this thing called Credit Card, thats how I did my backing from the UK at least.

• SpeelySpeely Member CommonPosts: 861
    For a "niche" game, there sure is a lot of talk about it in the mmo community. For such a "wildly daring" idea it does seem to have stirred up a lot of belief in said vision.

For a scam based on nothing but rhetoric designed to just get pledges, the main designer sure is saying a lot of preventive things to people to let them know that this game might not be for them.

All included, this KS's hype-troversy alone has pretty much assured that it will fund. It has become such an entity unto itself that it's almost like a metagame already. If I spent as much time actively attacking this game concept as many others do, I would effing back it just so i could troll the backers forums. Seems like a very popular pasttime ;)

Also: IT WILL FUND. The universe wouldn't present this concept just to take it away from me like Joss Whedon's Firefly, single-player Phantasy Star games, (and Sega as a hardware manufacturer,) and those old 16oz coke bottles that tasted better than angel tears shaken tenderly over Elysian ice.

No way. NO CHANCE.

I just hope this KS puts the "fun" in "funders" rather than the "under".

Also, and more realistically, it is on track. I just worry about stretch goals.

• SabasSabas Member UncommonPosts: 217

You know I'm one of those persons who wants to back the game.

But everytime I want to this voice in my head says; Remember this is Mark Jacobs.

By that I mean, MJ has a reputation and a proven track record of having these great ideas that in the end usually end up as,

great ideas. Nothing more.

CU is all about RvR, great.

But instead of going into the mechanics they have planned for a succesful RvR MMO

we hear about a dungeon  and ducks.

I also do not think I am alone feeling this way. As I know he reads these threads I will repeat it once again.

Dear mr Jacobs,

explain to us how you are going to make CU into a succeful RvR game that avoids the pitfalls of previous attempts.

• ScalplessScalpless Member UncommonPosts: 1,426
    Originally posted by Fendel84M
    Originally posted by Axxar
    1 mil isn't enough for the game he wants to make, so that would be a bit of a problem if he only got 1 mil.

Better than zero though if he doesn't reach 2 mil.

Kickstarter doesn't work that way. If you don't reach your goal, you get nothing.

• SpeelySpeely Member CommonPosts: 861
    Pandamin, there is such a staggering amount of content on the KS, CSE's site, and game site interviews that addresses those things, that if you are actually into the game concept yet have not read/heard the answers to that question, it is hard to know where to start without a lot of spare time.

No disprespectful tone intended, but he has addressed your question, and quite humbly. Nutshell: he knows he made mistakes. Admits said mistakes. Owns up. States that things were learned from said mistakes, and that he is dedicated to not repeating them, but that because he loves online games that he wants to try again, and BAM here is the concept.

Now, that might not be enough for some. And that is, of course, perfectly fine. However, he has addressed the issue you are referring to.
This discussion has been closed.