Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

nVidia 3D Vision - do you dig it?

MikeJezZMikeJezZ Member UncommonPosts: 1,268

I just received a 3D monitor the other day.

I have wathced 3d movies in the theater's, and to be honest I was not surprised.

I did not buy the monitor because it had 3D, but because it was a CCFL monitor 120 hz.

To my surprise some games actually looks quite gorgeous in 3D.

For an example, Tomb Raider has a insane amount of  depth in 3D mode. It does not look like the typical "layer on layer" thing.

Are any of you playing in 3D? Or is it just me that is overwhelmed by it?

Comments

• kb4blukb4blu Member UncommonPosts: 717

I for one have no interest in 3D.

I don't really see any advantage to it and it does not look any better to me.

I remember seeing 3d movies back in the '50s and eventually they went away because it was looked upon as a gimmick.

You could tell the movie's plot was set uip for 3D.  For example they always had things coming at you.  A western I watched had a lot of indians throwing spears and shooting arrows toward you and one scene had a rattlesnake stricking toward you.

Anyway no interest here.

• BetaguyBetaguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,629
    Not a fan of 3D anything I think it is silly.  I don't even like movies in 3D.
    "The King and the Pawn return to the same box at the end of the game"

• CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505

3d has come a long way..

Dont have a monitor myself for this but have tested a few and i think its a nice feature..

• DahkohtDahkoht Member UncommonPosts: 479
    Zero - same as home 3d sets - over hyped technology that most I know don't want to bother with either.
  • QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,355

At the moment, one problem is that not many games support stereoscopic 3D properly.  If Nvidia or AMD tries to hack something together in video drivers to kind of support it, it's nearly guaranteed that you'll get graphical artifacting, and the question is only how bad of artifacting you'll get.  It can range anywhere from annoying to completely unplayable.

That's avoidable if proper stereoscopic 3D support is programmed into the game itself--which requires changing some things both CPU-side and GPU-side, and video drivers can't touch the former.  If done properly, you don't change the CPU load much, but you nearly double the GPU load.

But programming support for it into the game itself is still a mess.  The choices are DirectX 11.1, OpenGL 4.2 or later, and proprietary stuff.  The first limits you to Windows 8 only, the second means you have to use OpenGL, which hardly any games do anymore, and the third means that you put in all of the work and then a lot of people who have hardware to support stereoscopic 3D can't use it, unless you redo all of the work for a different proprietary setup.

Support will get there eventually.  While I haven't tried implementing stereoscopic 3D, it looks like it shouldn't be that hard to do if you're using the appropriate API.  Basically, after you have the position of something in camera coordinates but before you do anything with that position (such as converting to clip coordinates), you split it into two locations, one for each eye, and then process each separately.  But widespread game support is probably several years away for desktop games with a standalone client, and much further away for browser-based or mobile games.

• meadmoonmeadmoon Member UncommonPosts: 1,344

No thanks, both in my games and other entertainment.

3D was interesting the first 5 minutes of The Hobbit, then it was just annoying. Same with games.

IMO, a novelty.

• madazzmadazz Member RarePosts: 2,107

I'm surprised how many games games are actually 3d vision ready, and how many are almost that good but not officially supported. Its amazing!

I recently tried L.A. Noire, it was pretty cool. A buddy tried WoW with it, I didn't know before hand but its also fully supported. Not my cup of tea though. Resident Evil 5 was impressive. I think the 3D made duke forever more enjoyable. Metro 2033 was great! Arkham city was even better 3d wise IMO. Civ 5 is pretty cool, but feels kind of pointless. I've also played a bunch on non 3d ready games and had a great time with it too. 

While I don't use it often, its pretty cool how fast the technology is moving. Developers have been saying its quite easy to implement and is only going to get easier too. Even though there is a naysayer who repeats himself constantly on this topic, 3D is moving forward and it will likely stay that way. 

Oh, and I have a 3DS, and its crap 3D compared to Nvidias. So anyone that can only reference that are missing out if 3D is something they would like to explore.

• GrayGhost79GrayGhost79 Member UncommonPosts: 4,775

I have a nice 3D monitor in the closet :P 

I'm not a fan, I prefer a few hours of gaming at a time and with 3D that simply isn't very good on my eyes. I'm forced to take frequent breaks which isn't great in MMOs. After 3 to 4 hours of gaming I can get a serious migrain going on. 

TV on the other hand it can be fun, its more of a gimick than anything meaningful to me but again it can be fun. 

I lump it into the same boat as the current VR tech. Its a neat idea, but its not very practical yet. 

• madazzmadazz Member RarePosts: 2,107
    Why do you keep it in the closet? Is it smaller than the one you currently use? Seems like a waste too me. But yes, 3D, as great as it is, and even though a ton of games runs well with it, isn't really needed. I find myself almost always playing 2D anyway.
  • GrayGhost79GrayGhost79 Member UncommonPosts: 4,775
    Originally posted by madazz
    Why do you keep it in the closet? Is it smaller than the one you currently use? Seems like a waste too me. But yes, 3D, as great as it is, and even though a ton of games runs well with it, isn't really needed. I find myself almost always playing 2D anyway.

No, its not smaller I just don't find the benefit in using it. I have 3 monitors and a 60" TV hooked up to my PC already. A 3D monitor that isn't used doesn't get to take up real estate on my desk :P 

• fadisfadis Member Posts: 469

It works well with a few games I've played, but generally I find it a nuissance and don't use it.  

• Riss1234Riss1234 Member Posts: 11
    Hello im just new in the community! and this was intersting but I won't prioritize this if ever.. ^_^