Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fuzzy Avatars Solved! Please re-upload your avatar if it was fuzzy!

Everquest questions

tazarconantazarconan athensPosts: 1,013Member

I decided yesterday to download eq after reading many opinions about the game. In past i tried eq2 but it was on a period i was playing wow and the game just feeled lesser in all departments. I also read somewhere weirdly enough that eq had more active players than eq2 so i started downloading the game since its free.

Some things i noticed when i entered the game. Ok it had loads of things to manage from bars loads of options to check and handle with and i felt utterly lost despice the fact i played loads of mmos in past. I figured some things but still got lots of questions.

Is there somewhere an xp bar?

When u level up is there something u can allocate like talents in talent trees stats attributes etc and if yes where u can find those?? I mean what are the default keys for talent tree character sheet skill trees etc cause i couldnt find in the keys options section..

Ok i get it its old and outdated game i didnt expect it to be with great grafs and effects anwy but after 19 expansions dont they feel combat animations and character animations should look a little better like a pre pre pre pre alpha stage of a game?Way tragic responsiveness character attacks something after 2-4 secs sometimes needs to click attack 2-3 times etc wierd things..

Are the servers not EU? Which servers is for european players and which is not?

I havent decided to quit just yet cause i feel there is something in the game,this magic thingie that is lost in modern mmorpg's things like camp huge lists of abilities to learn many other things i read u can do in game but i guess i need some help.

Comments

• keenberkeenber galwayPosts: 438Member

Exp bar is visable when you look at charactor sheet plus on the same sheet there is lots of different skills and stats you can look at.

As for skills when you lvl up you get them auto and allso stuff like weapons skill are caped per lvl and only lvl up as you use them

You can fillter all these exps to s diff window if you want to see how your doing.

Press the letter i to bring up where you can see your skills and when you hit 51 you can press v and bring up your aa screens to which you can assign which ones you want as you gain exp.

The best thing about EQ is the players so type in gen chat any questions you have they are allways glad to help.

• ArclanArclan Chicago, ILPosts: 1,494Member Uncommon

What server did you choose?

Oh hah I agree on the overly-busy UI. In 1999, you would log in for the first time and be facing a sign upon which were some commands. Simple. You were then told to go to a few places in the little tutorial town and learn all you needed to know.

Luckily, i don't need you to like me to enjoy video games. -nariusseldon.
    In F2P I think it's more a case of the game's trying to play the player's. -laserit

• WolfenprideWolfenpride San''doria, WIPosts: 3,988Member

XP bar is in character/equipment menu.

You gain skill points you can allocate at a class trainer, but as a new character it might be better to save what little cash you have and level them manually. At 51 you will be able to start alternate advancement.

Animations are really bad, and the one thing I wish they would bother updating. Will never happen it seems. It's slightly funner to watch when you get double attack/riposte and such, if you are a melee class. You might try switching over to classic/pre luclin models and animations, I personally find them much better the default ones. Instructions are on google if you want to.

I'm not sure about EU servers, there might be an unofficial one, but i've no idea

• tazarconantazarconan athensPosts: 1,013Member
    Thnks for the replies. Well i joined the only pvp server that there is around. I found the character sheet and other staff it was just too much to memorize at once in 15 mins of trying to figure whats going on heh.
  • xpowderxxpowderx Radcliff, KYPosts: 2,131Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by tazarconan

I decided yesterday to download eq after reading many opinions about the game. In past i tried eq2 but it was on a period i was playing wow and the game just feeled lesser in all departments. I also read somewhere weirdly enough that eq had more active players than eq2 so i started downloading the game since its free.

Some things i noticed when i entered the game. Ok it had loads of things to manage from bars loads of options to check and handle with and i felt utterly lost despice the fact i played loads of mmos in past. I figured some things but still got lots of questions.

Is there somewhere an xp bar?

When u level up is there something u can allocate like talents in talent trees stats attributes etc and if yes where u can find those?? I mean what are the default keys for talent tree character sheet skill trees etc cause i couldnt find in the keys options section.. At level 51 you can switch your experience around to gain alternate advancement experience. They produce points which you can spend on Alternate Advancement Skills. There are hundreds of skills to spend on. Talent trees are pretty null. As you will not find a more indepth and deep talent tree anywhere else but EQ.

Ok i get it its old and outdated game i didnt expect it to be with great grafs and effects anwy but after 19 expansions dont they feel combat animations and character animations should look a little better like a pre pre pre pre alpha stage of a game?Way tragic responsiveness character attacks something after 2-4 secs sometimes needs to click attack 2-3 times etc wierd things.. You can switch your graphics under the options tab with the Windwselector screen.

Are the servers not EU? Which servers is for european players and which is not? Most players staert out on Vox as of late. The EU server that is not under that one EU company left with American servers is Kane/Bayle.

I havent decided to quit just yet cause i feel there is something in the game,this magic thingie that is lost in modern mmorpg's things like camp huge lists of abilities to learn many other things i read u can do in game but i guess i need some help. EQ for a new player can be frustrating. At your character start screen I would recommend clicking the tutorial. It helps ALOT! Also make sure to ask questions, there is no such thing as a dumb question for a new player. Also look for a good guild. They will help you alot!

Of all the games on the market currently. There is not a single fantasy mmorpg that has such in-depth skills and talent. Nor is there any game that is as vast as EQ in content. While other players may try to tell you differently. It just is not true!

EQ, while having a learning curve comparable to EVE. It is a fantastic game once you pass your noobness :-D

Best wishes in EQ!! Youll have a blast!

Another thing, just had to add! Your character in EQ is distinctly yours. There is no other character like yours. You mold it the way you want it! No other mmorpg except perhaps EVE can offer that!

• PhelcherPhelcher Boston, MAPosts: 1,053Member

Plz keep in mind, that EQ today... is/was not the EQ of past. It has been heavily modified since it's release in 1999.

That said, I would suggest playing on the most recent progression server for a more forward experience. As most players are striving.

"No they are not charity. That is where the whales come in. (I play for free. Whales pays.) Devs get a business. That is how it works."

-Nariusseldon

• AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Sioux City, IAPosts: 3,828Member

Originally posted by Phelcher
    Plz keep in mind, that EQ today... is/was not the EQ of past. It has been heavily modified since it's release in 1999.That said, I would suggest playing on the most recent progression server for a more forward experience. As most players are striving.
    Playing on the progression servers requires a sub :)
    (Just thought I'd clarify that, as he did say he was enjoying the F2P part.)

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• ArclanArclan Chicago, ILPosts: 1,494Member Uncommon

Originally posted by AlBQuirky
    Originally posted by Phelcher
    Plz keep in mind, that EQ today... is/was not the EQ of past. It has been heavily modified since it's release in 1999.That said, I would suggest playing on the most recent progression server for a more forward experience. As most players are striving.
    Playing on the progression servers requires a sub :)
    (Just thought I'd clarify that, as he did say he was enjoying the F2P part.)

Good point. I'm sure you will agree, SOE charges a sub for that server because they can; It is a high-demand server. As one can see, SOE say they want to be a F2P company, but the moment they get a server they *can* charge $ for, you better believe the will do so.

Luckily, i don't need you to like me to enjoy video games. -nariusseldon.
    In F2P I think it's more a case of the game's trying to play the player's. -laserit