Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Dev Journal] Neverwinter: Crafting Professions Shine in New Developer Blog

2»

Comments

• Xstatic912Xstatic912 Member Posts: 365
    @ norsehealer

You said it best bro.. It's paid convience
  • MachinationMachination Member UncommonPosts: 70
    These will be the longest 8 days . . . . ever . . . . in history!
  • PlageronPlageron Member Posts: 109

This sounds neat....but the reality is a bit weird.  Liek to get crafting materials right now you have to find specifc objects in the game that are related to your class skill.  If you dont have hte right class skill you have to have a kity that has a fialry high percentage chance of failing to allow you to open the object. 

After playing alot....I found many many many of the items....but was never the right class.  The eworst part was the kits you need to open the objects where fairly pricey....I think i got on average at level 5 about 1 copper per 10 or 20 enemies i defeated if i was lucky.....with the kits costing about 100 copper.

I dont know....it sounds neat but the implementation is kind of not that great...

• rygard49rygard49 Member UncommonPosts: 973
    Originally posted by Lord.Bachus

Blasphemy, how can a website advise people to buy a $200 content pack for a free game?

The link on the bottom to the founders pack should be removed... 

Because MMORPG journalists didn't write this. Because Cryptic and PWE "teamed up with" (paid) MMORPG.com to bring you this "Dev Blog" (advertisement), wherein they can "offer insight" (say whatever they want) about the game without having to worry about things like "miscommunication" (journalistic integrity).

Look at this neat free game. Only $200 to experience it fully... for free! But wait, there's more!

I really view these dev blogs as similar in function to late night infomercials.

• BurntvetBurntvet Member RarePosts: 3,465
    Originally posted by rygard49

Blasphemy, how can a website advise people to buy a $200 content pack for a free game?   The link on the bottom to the founders pack should be removed... 

Because MMORPG journalists didn't write this. Because Cryptic and PWE "teamed up with" (paid) MMORPG.com to bring you this "Dev Blog" (advertisement), wherein they can "offer insight" (say whatever they want) about the game without having to worry about things like "miscommunication" (journalistic integrity).

Look at this neat free game. Only $200 to experience it fully... for free! But wait, there's more!

I really view these dev blogs as similar in function to late night infomercials.

This entire, so-called article is here because of PW/Cryptic ad money. No other reason.
  • Shroom_MageShroom_Mage Member UncommonPosts: 863

Do you guys not realize that if you pay to shorten the crafting time, you'll be selling the finished good at a loss?

Most people would prefer to wait out the duration, so waiting becomes the standard for pricing. Paying AD doesn't help you "win" if winning is making money.

"Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." -Dr. Seuss

• JasonJJasonJ Member Posts: 395

Crafting was the first thing I can say that is bad about this game. Its horrible. All but leadership is useless. You cant craft items your level due to cost of the items required and the time sink involved in every task. By the time you an craft a level 9 item, you are already well into your teens, and by the time you can craft lvl 16 items you are in your 20s.

Its just plain horrible, and the variety, forget...anyone not using all of their task slots for leadership for the astral diamons is a fool...worse yet, many of the better items require material that can only be found from the cash shop packs.

• AG-VukAG-Vuk Member UncommonPosts: 823
    Originally posted by Burntvet

Blasphemy, how can a website advise people to buy a $200 content pack for a free game?

This entire, so-called article is here because of PW/Cryptic ad money. No other reason.

^ This. Also if the previous 3 offerrings by Cryptic are any indication , crafting is a joke.  This company has no idea what it's doing , how to incorporate it or even apply. Like many other aspects of their games they are relatively clueless. PvP , crafting 2 faction gaming play etc.. That's not saying they can't do anything right , but they are a mediocre developer which produces mediocre games, for low population and people with low expectations and standards.

• sbrite10sbrite10 Member Posts: 71
    Originally posted by jmcdermottuk
    Originally posted by Yaevindusk
    Originally posted by MarlonB

"you’ll be able to advance in the five professions of LeadershipMailsmithingPlatesmithingLeatherworking, and Tailoring, and start giving your character an extra edge in combat"

"Want your tasks to move more quickly?  No problem!  You can spend astral diamonds to speed up tasks".

Good to know you can buy these advantages.

Astral Diamonds are earned in game through daily quests, events, foundary usage and other things.  It is not currency you buy from Cryptic, but rather one of two forms of currency within the game that players trade amongst themselves.  It is ZEN that the cash shop uses, which is the third currency in game.  Astral Diamonds are the middle currency whereby a player that spends time doing their dailies and such will be able to use Astral Diamonds to trade with other players in the same way they would trade gold (though players that have excess zen could trade it to other players for the Astral Diamonds they unlocked).

Astral Diamonds (again, they're not the cash shop currency of Zen and require work to get) can be spent at shops/stores in game for specific items, just as there are shops that sell items for copper/silver/gold.

Then the question is can astral diamonds be bought with Zen? It sounds like GW2 where you buy gems for cash, if it's the same then you are effectively buying the speed up with cash, after converting it to AD's.

Its a speedup thats very expensive and its just for crafting.Who really cares?Almost every F2P game out there has something similar.Doesnt make the game any less fun.

• sbrite10sbrite10 Member Posts: 71

Tin Foil hat out now?Purely stupid statement.

• evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270
    Originally posted by Doogiehowser

"you’ll be able to advance in the five professions of LeadershipMailsmithingPlatesmithingLeatherworking, and Tailoring, and start giving your character an extra edge in combat"

"Want your tasks to move more quickly?  No problem!  You can spend astral diamonds to speed up tasks".

Well it is F2P title. This was expected.

Ofcourse, but it still hurts me to see Neverwinter implement it ;o)

I'm all fine with F2P models ... as long as they do not empower the rich. If it turns out to be a 0.0001% difference, i'll look the other side.

Except that you can earn astral diamonds in game. Its just a convenience thing, if you want to level faster in crafting you can buy astral diamonds off other players for zen, which those players can use to buy cash shop items like character slots or new races. I dont see how thats a bad thing.

As long as its only saving time, and not making you more powerful, I have no issues with it. In fact it provides incentives for other players to grind astral diamonds.

• BurntvetBurntvet Member RarePosts: 3,465
    Originally posted by sbrite10

Blasphemy, how can a website advise people to buy a $200 content pack for a free game?   The link on the bottom to the founders pack should be removed... 

Tin Foil hat out now?Purely stupid statement.

So, there haven't been a dozen or more big ass banners advertising this game across the top of the site? And I suppose that the "columnist" that came up with this thing did so spontaneously, as opposed to being given the assignment by one of the editors. It is not even a secret anymore that gaming sites are little better than portals for advertising. It is straight pay for play. An advertiser buys "the package" and then get more than a few banners.

Guys, do you not see "Dev Journal" right at the top? This article is written by Cryptic. That's... That's the entire point of it. Cryptic has opted to put their information here first. It's a developer blog. Developer blog.

If MMORPG.com let Cryptic upload a new exclusive trailer, would you guys complain about that, too? This is the same thing.

I don't know what's wrong with some of you.

"Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." -Dr. Seuss

• gaeanprayergaeanprayer Member UncommonPosts: 2,341
    Originally posted by jmcdermottuk

Astral Diamonds are earned in game through daily quests, events, foundary usage and other things.  It is not currency you buy from Cryptic, but rather one of two forms of currency within the game that players trade amongst themselves.  It is ZEN that the cash shop uses, which is the third currency in game.  Astral Diamonds are the middle currency whereby a player that spends time doing their dailies and such will be able to use Astral Diamonds to trade with other players in the same way they would trade gold (though players that have excess zen could trade it to other players for the Astral Diamonds they unlocked).

Astral Diamonds (again, they're not the cash shop currency of Zen and require work to get) can be spent at shops/stores in game for specific items, just as there are shops that sell items for copper/silver/gold.

Then the question is can astral diamonds be bought with Zen? It sounds like GW2 where you buy gems for cash, if it's the same then you are effectively buying the speed up with cash, after converting it to AD's.

This part is from my understanding, which I do not claim to be perfect.  But you are not able to buy Zen and then trade for Astral Diamonds or Gold directly from Cryptic (Though they do have set trading currencies; I'm not sure if that's for their own trade or to regulate trade among players).  You will however be able to trade for already existing AD's that players have grinded out.  That being, if you spent a month doing dailies and want something from the cash shop, you could trade your ADs to someone who has Zen, and then buy what you want from the Zen shop.

I do not think they simply create ADs (Maybe wrong on this, as I read different things from different testers and haven't touched the Zen store yet) out of nothing and then just trade it for any Zen you buy; it has to exist in the economy and had to be worked for by someone.

This is indeed incorrect. As of the last beta I played, Astral Diamonds can be converted from purchased ZEN. Further, while it's earned ingame, its done at an incredibly slow rate and one that's based on a lottery system. Some days I earned 3k, other days I earned less than 300. In neither case is it sufficient to 'keep up with the Joneses', as the saying goes.

"Forums aren't for intelligent discussion; they're for blow-hards with unwavering opinions."

Originally posted by gaeanprayer
    This part is from my understanding, which I do not claim to be perfect.  But you are not able to buy Zen and then trade for Astral Diamonds or Gold directly from Cryptic (Though they do have set trading currencies; I'm not sure if that's for their own trade or to regulate trade among players).  You will however be able to trade for already existing AD's that players have grinded out.  That being, if you spent a month doing dailies and want something from the cash shop, you could trade your ADs to someone who has Zen, and then buy what you want from the Zen shop.I do not think they simply create ADs (Maybe wrong on this, as I read different things from different testers and haven't touched the Zen store yet) out of nothing and then just trade it for any Zen you buy; it has to exist in the economy and had to be worked for by someone.
    This is indeed incorrect. As of the last beta I played, Astral Diamonds can be converted from purchased ZEN. Further, while it's earned ingame, its done at an incredibly slow rate and one that's based on a lottery system. Some days I earned 3k, other days I earned less than 300. In neither case is it sufficient to 'keep up with the Joneses', as the saying goes.

Are you sure your zen is being converted to AD and not traded for AD? The guy you're responding to is saying that buying AD with zen doesn't generate new AD. He isn't saying that it's impossible to obtain AD using zen.

I didn't test this myself, but isn't it supposed to be like GW2 where you are essentially buying in-game money from other players? In GW2, gold isn't generated when you buy it with gems. In fact, a large percentage of it is deleted in the transaction.

• BigbadwlfBigbadwlf Member UncommonPosts: 117

Neverwinter's crafting system is easily the worse crafting system I had ever experienced in an MMO.

I hope it's not true what these people say that you can craft the best gear in the game with crafting.  Almost all the items pre level cap created through crafting is junk.  I dumped 200,000 Astral Diamonds or about $4.00 USD into crafting and all I was able to make was some level 16 leather boots, they weren't even green quality.  The NPC venders sell blue quality equipment so you will never need go the crafting route if you are leveling.

The problem with the crafting is that it takes soo much time.  The fact that it happens passively while you quest is irrelevant.  It's the difference between tossing your laundry in the dryer yourself, or putting all your wet clothes out in the sun to dry for 12 hours.  If you want to speed up the process? You are going to pay my friend, it's a huge astral diamond sink. You can choose to pay with your time or you can choose to pay with your money, but either way, you're definitely going to be paying A LOT.

I wouldn't be the least shocked if it cost at least $60.00 USD to power level crafting to max, so you can be able to craft end game gear.  You'll have to power level it in order for the rate of crafting to match the speed of own your character's leveling progression

• SevenwindSevenwind Member UncommonPosts: 2,188
    Originally posted by Shroom_Mage

Guys, do you not see "Dev Journal" right at the top? This article is written by Cryptic. That's... That's the entire point of it. Cryptic has opted to put their information here first. It's a developer blog. Developer blog.

If MMORPG.com let Cryptic upload a new exclusive trailer, would you guys complain about that, too? This is the same thing.

I don't know what's wrong with some of you.

Nailed it. Some here see the word Cryptic and pounce. All you have to do is look at the post history, ignore them and move on. 

.. .... .- - . - .-. --- .-.. .-.. ... .-- .... --- .-. . .--. --- .-. - .-.-.-

--------------------------------------------------------
    Promote what you love instead of bashing what you hate.

• SpinepullerSpinepuller Member Posts: 1

Absolutely incorrect - They even have a special window for people to buy/trade/sell astral diamonds for Zen.

It does have items that are pay to win. Spending a little time looking at vendors will reveal this. In the last beta I found un-named merchants that sold op enchants with no level limits for Astral Diamonds.

• ego13ego13 Member Posts: 267
    Who cares?  Every facet of life is pay to win.  If you don't like it you can always quit now.  This isn't new, nor will it be changing...ever.

Just because every car has similar features doesn't mean that Ferraris are copies of Model Ts. Progress requires failure and refining.

• DeiphysityDeiphysity Member Posts: 2

Umm, its a MMORPG anyway.  Theres no way to "lose" a MMORPG.  Until MMORPGs start recording win/loss ratio, kill/death ratio, and have some consequence other than a little lost experience for death, there is no way to "lose".

And besides, your REAL LIFE MONEY is money that your REAL LIFE CHARACTER owns.  In other words, YOU.  If you want to be an escapist and forget about your real life, then I can see why you would want everyone to have to use in-game money to buy things, rather than real money.  BUT, if your life sucks so bad that you need an escape.. maybe you should be working towards REAL LIFE advantages before you start playing a video game.

• gillrmngillrmn Member Posts: 250
    You can do crafting from Gateway. It will be a sort of minigame on your handheld device.
  • UhwopUhwop Member UncommonPosts: 1,791

It's a free to play game with a cash shop, the horror. 

Some of you really need to come down off your high horses, and stop acting like the worlds biggest nerds just because you're on the internet. 

Awful lot of forum posters on the internet could use a serious dose of dignity. 

• phradenphraden Member Posts: 28

Bitch if they do bitch if they don't. If it was P2P people would complain that 15$ a month is too much to pay for an online game (it isn't btw), but now that it's an F2P game they'll find reasons to down it.

From all the betas it was a very solid game. From what I could find while searching during game, you can only trade ZEN to players for Astral Diamonds. Theres an interface that allows people to put up essentially instant buy-out auctions, requesting a certain amount of Astral Diamonds for a certain amount of ZEN or vice versa, thus not creaing any new Astral Diamonds in the process. If this is changed, point to me where in the main city you can find a straight ZEN to Astral Diamond transfer, that is strictly NPC involved.

• Hordequester8Hordequester8 Member Posts: 54
    Originally posted by Manolios
    Originally posted by Dihoru
    Originally posted by Manolios

another p2w. nty once more

Yes another p2w...where Astral Diamonds are earned ingame exclusively or could be trade for (Player to player trade) with zen, indeed, very pay 2 win.
    /sarcasm

btw can you tell me how zen will get in to the game? some1 must pay to get them in i guess, or am i wrong?

/sarcasm off

^Derp