Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Kickstarter Charges You Only If The Project Funds

dantheman13dantheman13 Member UncommonPosts: 55

From: http://www.kickstarter.com/help/faq/backer+questions

When is my card charged?

If the project you’re backing is successfully funded, your card will be charged when the project reaches its funding deadline. If the project does not reach its funding goal, your card is never charged. That's why we call them pledges.

A lot of people still seem to not understand this.  Knowing this, why not pay $25 to receive the game, a free month, and access to the beta (if the kickstarter funds) if you are even somewhat interested in seeing the game?  

Comments

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Originally posted by dantheman13

When is my card charged?

If the project you’re backing is successfully funded, your card will be charged when the project reaches its funding deadline. If the project does not reach its funding goal, your card is never charged. That's why we call them pledges.

A lot of people still seem to not understand this.  Knowing this, why not pay $25 to receive the game, a free month, and access to the beta (if the kickstarter funds) if you are even somewhat interested in seeing the game?  

Because it doesn't exist yet in any form so I'm waiting until I know more about it before I spend money on it. 

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• grimfallgrimfall Member UncommonPosts: 1,153
    Originally posted by Loktofeit

When is my card charged?

Because it doesn't exist yet in any form so I'm waiting until I know more about it before I spend money on it. 

Just because they get all the money they asked for, it doesn't guarantee they'll publish it.  I am sure Curt Schilling thought they had enough money ($50 million +) to finish their game.

• dantheman13dantheman13 Member UncommonPosts: 55
    Yeah, $25 is a big gamble.
  • xion12121xion12121 Member UncommonPosts: 199

When is my card charged?

How about because you won't see the game released 3 or 4 years later. That's if it gets funded! 

I would give you a guest pass to SWOTR, but then I wouldn't be able to find a way to live with myself afterwards....

• taus01taus01 Member Posts: 1,352

When is my card charged?

I am not pre-ordering a game 3-5 years in advance that i know only from information some developer tells me as his ideas (not concepts or designs) and will charge me a monthly fee when released.

I don't even know what great games will be out by then and if a monthly fee is even justified with what we get. So many things change in 5 years it's an investment that is completely stupid.

[mod edit]

"Give players systems and tools instead of rails and rules"

• TokkenTokken Member EpicPosts: 3,551

I honestly don't like this pledge system. Games are so bad lately I would rather them fund their games and I buy it if it gets good reviews. It's a crapshoot if you pledge... there is no guarentees whether the game will be good or not. I would rather know what I am getting after the game is completed.... then buy/subscribe to it.

Proud MMORPG.com member since March 2004!  Make PvE GREAT Again!

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    Originally posted by Tokken

I honestly don't like this pledge system. Games are so bad lately I would rather them fund their games and I buy it if it gets good reviews. It's a crapshoot if you pledge... there is no guarentees whether the game will be good or not. I would rather know what I am getting after the game is completed.... then buy/subscribe to it.

when is there a guarantee ever? how many games have you bought because others said it was AMAZING but you thought it was crap.. happens all the time

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• mackdawg19mackdawg19 Member UncommonPosts: 842
    Originally posted by grimfall

When is my card charged?

Just because they get all the money they asked for, it doesn't guarantee they'll publish it.  I am sure Curt Schilling thought they had enough money ($50 million +) to finish their game.

Technically Curt did finish most of his game, just only the single player side. I actually wouldn't mind if someone picked it up too, it wasn't bad at all. Sadly he hired people who spent more of his money on BS then actually working on the MMO side of the game.

Did you want to argue or did you genuinely want to know why people weren't backing it? 

Whether it's $5, $25 or $250 the amount isn't the point. There's currently no product/serivce. If one does come to fruition it will be a year or two from now, right?

On the flip side, Planet Explorers has an alpha out. I have had the opportunity to try the alpha of their game (free download on their Kickstarter page) and experience what they are working toward. Their goals beyond what they have already created are very realistic and doable. I threw significantly more than $25 at that as I have reasonable confidence not only that it will be made but, more importantly, that what they are creating is actually something I want. 

Trying to insinuate people are cheap just because they aren't backing something sight unseen that you personally are putting a lot of faith in is a bit unreasonable, no? 

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• TuktzTuktz Member Posts: 299

Good point. I've been surprised how many people I've come across that really thought if they pledged and it didn't hit goal, they'd still lose their money.

good idea to raise awareness on that, because I didn't know that either before this project. I, like many others, had never used kick starter before cu

Also dang, people act like $25 is a kidney or something. I spend twice that going to eat with my fiancé several times a week. What is 25 divided over a 3 year dev cycle? Little more than $8 a year? 

If you support this game and can't afford that, you prolly shouldn't be playin games anyway lol.

the other people that wouldn't play this even if it were free, thanks for constantly increasing awareness of camelot unchained all the time by constantly bumping cu threads :-)

if not for you guys, we wouldn't be near 65% funded with over two weeks to go, and I think 8 k backers now.

your help with raising public awareness has been truly instrumental to making this happen :-)

MMO history - EVE GW2 SWTOR RIFT WAR COH/V EQ2 WOW DAOC
    Tuktz - http://www.heretic.shivtr.com/

Did you want to argue or did you genuinely want to know why people weren't backing it? 

Whether it's $5, $25 or $250 the amount isn't the point. There's currently no product/serivce. If one does come to fruition it will be a year or two from now, right?

On the flip side, Planet Explorers has an alpha out. I have had the opportunity to try the alpha of their game (free download on their Kickstarter page) and experience what they are working toward. Their goals beyond what they have already created are very realistic and doable. I threw significantly more than $25 at that as I have reasonable confidence not only that it will be made but, more importantly, that what they are creating is actually something I want. 

Trying to insinuate people are cheap just because they aren't backing something sight unseen that you personally are putting a lot of faith in is a bit unreasonable, no? 

i view KS in many lights.. it's there for numerous reasons.. sometimes its for  just a half or almost finished project that needs a little bump to get it finished or it can be for a brand new project that is looking for funding to actually start the product and feel out if there is even a market for such a project.. i don't always expect anything from KS if I know this.. if i know the developer or like their vision I feel its worth backing.. id most likely buy the game in the end so ill put some "faith" as you say in a project to help them get started and hopefully help shape the game

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• PanzerbasePanzerbase Member Posts: 423

When is my card charged?

I'm not interested in it, but thanks for the information. 

Originally posted by parrotpholk
    Originally posted by Tuktz

Good point. I've been surprised how many people I've come across that really thought if they pledged and it didn't hit goal, they'd still lose their money.

good idea to raise awareness on that, because I didn't know that either before this project. I, like many others, had never used kick starter before cu

Also dang, people act like $25 is a kidney or something. I spend twice that going to eat with my fiancé several times a week. What is 25 divided over a 3 year dev cycle? Little more than $8 a year? 

If you support this game and can't afford that, you prolly shouldn't be playin games anyway lol.

the other people that wouldn't play this even if it were free, thanks for constantly increasing awareness of camelot unchained all the time by constantly bumping cu threads :-)

if not for you guys, we wouldn't be near 65% funded with over two weeks to go, and I think 8 k backers now.

your help with raising public awareness has been truly instrumental to making this happen :-)

Not really the point.  If I walked up to your door and said I had an idea for something awesome just give me 50 bucks and in 3 yrs I will bring it to you....would you do it?  Did not think so.

thats got to be one of the worst analogies I have seen on these forums

Originally posted by Aerowyn

i view KS in many lights.. it's there for numerous reasons.. sometimes its for  just a half or almost finished project that needs a little bump to get it finished or it can be for a brand new project that is looking for funding to actually start the product and feel out if there is even a market for such a project.. i don't always expect anything from KS if I know this.. if i know the developer or like their vision I feel its worth backing.. id most likely buy the game in the end so ill put some "faith" as you say in a project to help them get started and hopefully help shape the game

Dude, spend your money however you want. I'm not saying you shouldn't donate and I'm not judging you at all. My issue was with the OP panhandling and insinuating people are cheap because they don't want to donate to his cause. 

• cwtrexcwtrex Member Posts: 7
    Originally posted by parrotpholk

Not really the point.  If I walked up to your door and said I had an idea for something awesome just give me 50 bucks and in 3 yrs I will bring it to you....would you do it?  Did not think so.

If you walked up to my door, I'd probably ignore you since I have a "no soliciting" sign out front; however, if you had a 30+ day kick starter with updates showing the status of your development with art concepts, video showing actual progress of your development, and a well written plan and set of principles that I agreed with ... well then, I would actually fund your project with an amount of money designating what I can afford and how much interest your project has garnered from me.

Hmm, the above sounds familiar.  What project already has plenty of art concepts, shown progress in its development, has a well written plan, and a set of principles I agree with? Ah, that's right ... Camelot Unchained does. image

Dude, spend your money however you want. I'm not saying you shouldn't donate and I'm not judging you at all. My issue was with the OP panhandling and insinuating people are cheap because they don't want to donate to his cause. 

i get that.. was just pointing out a lot seem to think KS is just for finished or partly made projects that need help getting finished when in reality it was made for people who wanted to actually start a project on top of ones just needing a bump to get finished.. so to expect a working alpha builds or anything close to that on most KS campains doesn't make sense to me

I know $25 can be a lot of money for some people for something that will take 3-4 years to produce, that's the way life is.  I was just trying to educate people because I am sick of both backers and non-backers thinking that CU is taking donations.  

Originally posted by Panzerbase

When is my card charged?

I'm not interested in it, but thanks for the information. 

You're welcome!  Now you'll know in case there are other Kickstarter games out there. :)

I know $25 can be a lot of money for some people for something that will take 3-4 years to produce, that's the way life is.  I was just trying to educate people because I am sick of both backers and non-backers thinking that CU is taking donations.  

It's entirely possible they are thinking that because it is a donation. Again, trying to insinuate people aren't donating because $25 is a lot for them is a bit arrogant, especially when each person already gave you reasons why they weren't donating. You're not educating anyone, you're trying to guilt people into donating.

• mav1234mav1234 Member UncommonPosts: 82
    While the later posts trying to guilt people into pledging are frustrating, I actually think the OP is useful because I have run into quite a few people who think they lose the money if the project doesn't fund.
    Originally posted by mav1234
    While the later posts trying to guilt people into pledging are frustrating, I actually think the OP is useful because I have run into quite a few people who think they lose the money if the project doesn't fund.

I think IndieGoGo does that, which might be why some think that. Good point, mav.

• LeFantomeLeFantome Member RarePosts: 692
    Originally posted by mav1234

Exactly.

• GrayGhost79GrayGhost79 Member UncommonPosts: 4,775

Did we really need another thread devoted to begging for people to pledge to CU and trying to guilt and insult those that don't want to? 

• DanwarrDanwarr Member CommonPosts: 185

I think both CU backers and non-backers really need to step back a bit.

Loko, you're right that the OP is panhandling and insinuating people are cheap. However, there are people who don't really seem to understand the whole idea of Kickstarter.

Kickstarter is a method by which filmmakers, musicians, artists, and designers obtain funding for their various projects to see those ideas come to life. These projects can be in various phases of development. Some might be mostly done and just need a little extra capital to make it over the hump. Some might be midway through development and need more money so they can spend more time on their project. And some can be in the early conceptual stages where the foundations for project are being laid out and the basics systems are being made.

CU is in this early stage. By pledging to CU, you are supporting the ideas Mark Jacobs has committed to the project. 

As with any investment, there is risk. You might not like the final product. 

So, if you would like to support the types of ideas Mark Jacobs is presenting in CU, make a pledge.

If you would like to see more concrete development before giving over your hard earned money to CSE , don't pledge.

Neither side is wrong.

What is wrong are the backers calling non-backers stingy, while the non-backers are calling the backers idiots.

Waiting: CU, WildStar, Destiny, Eternal Crusade
    Playing: ESO,DCUO
    Played: LotRO,RIFT,ToR,Warhammer, Runescape

• Valgar1Valgar1 Member UncommonPosts: 324

Camelot Unchained,

I myself as a gammer, think it is sickening to be asking people to fund a game when there dollers could all be going twords causes like actually HELPING people with real life problems.  Am i taking crazy pills?  People would fund a game so others could potentially become rich off it??? WTF is this world coming too. I work in a field where there are children who can not cloth themselfs or feed themselfs but here it is in black and white. A game company asking for donations to make there game?!

Seriously? I will NEVER play a game like this, mark or mike or whatever your name is,  Get a grip on yourself. And any of you pledging money to a game developer to make a game because they can not get the funding themself i do not know what to tell you as human beings.....

This discussion has been closed.