Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Foundry missions

Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686

What kind of foundry content are you looking forward too..

Personally i am hoping that someone will create a great 3D Dota PvP map once they add PvP support to the foundry...

But untill that i hope someone will be able to recreate Menzoberranzan, Undermountain, Waterdeep, ten towns and the dalelands...  

On top of PvP and dungeons, i hope they someday will add the possibility to create open world zones complete with dynamic content...

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

Comments

• MadDemon64MadDemon64 Member UncommonPosts: 1,102
    Originally posted by Lord.Bachus

What kind of foundry content are you looking forward too..

Personally i am hoping that someone will create a great 3D Dota PvP map once they add PvP support to the foundry...

But untill that i hope someone will be able to recreate Menzoberranzan, Undermountain, Waterdeep, ten towns and the dalelands...  

On top of PvP and dungeons, i hope they someday will add the possibility to create open world zones complete with dynamic content...

Given what people can make in other games with the freedom to create like this (e.g. Minecraft, Second Life, STO's foundry), I would say that the above will not be out of the question.

Since when is Tuesday a direction?

• gillrmngillrmn Member Posts: 250

Nothing you want is possible to create at launch unfortunately. PvP foundry maps will be added shortly after launch.

As for creating cities, currently we have tight budget limit due to resources. Creating an alive village is possible but nothing more than that. Even making the village alive (with moving people, pets etc.) is a tough job to do within the budget limit.

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686
    Originally posted by gillrmn

Nothing you want is possible to create at launch unfortunately. PvP foundry maps will be added shortly after launch.

As for creating cities, currently we have tight budget limit due to resources. Creating an alive village is possible but nothing more than that. Even making the village alive (with moving people, pets etc.) is a tough job to do within the budget limit.

You mean there is actually a limit on the number of things you can do in a single map? 

How does the fondry tell you how much of your resources you have used?

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

In my first foundry manual, I have shown the box on the lower left of Map Tab which displays the budget limits for ach and every kind of objects.

I just found a way to open your manuals on my pad ( i am abroad so have no acces to my lapt)  and saw what you offered in resources...   Somehow i think it might be possible to create amazing stuff by deviding the big maps into small situationak maps/instances.  I we work this way a lot will be accomplishable.. Even adding a part of waterdeep including the well that leads to the acces of undermountain.  

So here some questions directed at the future of the foundry, so far we know there will be PvP and group content possible in the post release foundry.  I am not going to ask you when that will be added as that would be a question i would not answer myself if i was a developer. 

- will the budget tied to the current maps/instances be raised in the future if bigger badder computers and a better money flow from a succesfull release  allow for this?  Or is it hardcoded in the software?

- will players ever be. Able to create zones that work like open world zones?  ( i know thats probably on a whole different level, but it would allow peoe to develop something that really comes close to their own mmorpg, where the current foundry only comes close to ORPg content)

- just how much new content are you planning to add to the foundry over time?  Because without constant upgrades and innovations everything will grow old sooner or later.

Raising the budget in future is a priority for devs. However, a lot will depend on how things work out during launch. But the words of devs are:-

"You cannot create a complete city now, though you can create a village. But letting authors create their own cities is definately on our priority list".

As for technology, they can raise the budget limit to as much as they want, there is no limitation. Problem is that they dont want players to feel any kind of lag in the game. So once they sort it out, they will do something.

Another problem is that their detection of budget limit is not optimal. E.g. using same object over and over is no problem, however adding dynamic light increase the strain on the objects. These kind of calculation are not yet implemented. They are fguring out a better mre comprehensive way t decide budget limits.

Yes persistent zones from foundry is being worked on. But it is something quite tough to implement so it will take time.

A lot. Its being updated a lot. Last 3 months, foundry has changed in everything and is a comletely new beast. one month after launch, a lot of revolutionary features are going to be implemented. So I won't worry about updates.

• ReizlaReizla Member RarePosts: 4,092
    I'll dive in my old D&D collection (the paper one) and see what great adventures I can drop in. Of course, I won't add the obvious 'big titles' (A, B and S-series), but rather the smaller less well known adventures.
  • ZedTheRockZedTheRock Member UncommonPosts: 175

You mean there is actually a limit on the number of things you can do in a single map? 

How does the fondry tell you how much of your resources you have used?

Believe theres something like a 500 or 1000 asset limitation.  Many of these limitations will hopefully start to go away but its not like with the limitations in place master pieces can not be created because they can, they jsut will be limited in scope in the initial design.

My future goal is to design and implement 5 man dungeon type adventures, with 4-5 bosses and plenty of traps and puzzles in between.  One day that will be possible but till then I'll stick to re-creating my old D&D campaigns from many years ago.

SUP

• MadDemon64MadDemon64 Member UncommonPosts: 1,102
    Originally posted by Reizla
    I'll dive in my old D&D collection (the paper one) and see what great adventures I can drop in. Of course, I won't add the obvious 'big titles' (A, B and S-series), but rather the smaller less well known adventures.

I look forward to seeing what you create.

Since when is Tuesday a direction?

Raising the budget in future is a priority for devs. However, a lot will depend on how things work out during launch. But the words of devs are:-

"You cannot create a complete city now, though you can create a village. But letting authors create their own cities is definately on our priority list".

As for technology, they can raise the budget limit to as much as they want, there is no limitation. Problem is that they dont want players to feel any kind of lag in the game. So once they sort it out, they will do something.

Another problem is that their detection of budget limit is not optimal. E.g. using same object over and over is no problem, however adding dynamic light increase the strain on the objects. These kind of calculation are not yet implemented. They are fguring out a better mre comprehensive way t decide budget limits.

Yes persistent zones from foundry is being worked on. But it is something quite tough to implement so it will take time.

This sounds like divine music to my ears, lets hope the game becomes an instant succes making sure you guys can continue developing this

A lot. Its being updated a lot. Last 3 months, foundry has changed in everything and is a comletely new beast. one month after launch, a lot of revolutionary features are going to be implemented. So I won't worry about updates.

Actually i am quite happy with all of this, makes me go to bed tonight with a broad smile..

Tough with all the updates, i hope you can keep backward compatibillity with older created content, having to redesign your dungeons after every upgrade sounds like a core to me ( WoW mods anyone?)  I really hope you can delvier on this.

• neorandomneorandom Member Posts: 1,681

This sounds like divine music to my ears, lets hope the game becomes an instant succes making sure you guys can continue developing this

Actually i am quite happy with all of this, makes me go to bed tonight with a broad smile..

Tough with all the updates, i hope you can keep backward compatibillity with older created content, having to redesign your dungeons after every upgrade sounds like a core to me ( WoW mods anyone?)  I really hope you can delvier on this.

the sto mission maker foundry never had issues with this, and these guys work for the same company now that pwe owns both games, so i doubt theres too much issue with foundry missions losing compatability.  they tend to just add new foundry assets rather then removing any old ones.

wow mods need constant updating because they arent part of wows code, all foundry content is the game itself, you are just doing the job of the dev team by using the tools to make a dungeon yourself.

in that respect, people that make awesome content in a foundry, are really slaves!

Originally posted by neorandom

the sto mission maker foundry never had issues with this, and these guys work for the same company now that pwe owns both games, so i doubt theres too much issue with foundry missions losing compatability.  they tend to just add new foundry assets rather then removing any old ones.

wow mods need constant updating because they arent part of wows code, all foundry content is the game itself, you are just doing the job of the dev team by using the tools to make a dungeon yourself.

in that respect, people that make awesome content in a foundry, are really slaves!

I didnt even know STO had a foundry/mission maker, never played, never even had any interest in the game. 

But its good to know they pulled this off.

Regarding compatibility as toolset is updated, it may happen that new features can make your quest unplayable.

However what you simply have to do is open the quest again and solve those errors.

For example, if they have reoved a model, you need to replcae it with another LEGO piece from the library.

Or if they have removed a feature and added its replacement, you need to click a fe boxes to implment the better feature by clicking a few buttons.