Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fuzzy Avatars Solved! Please re-upload your avatar if it was fuzzy!

Which class route for beginners ?

DahkohtDahkoht Pelham, ALPosts: 290Member

Seeing if any of you DF vets have a recommendation for a best first class route to go to get the handle of DF mechanics ?

Experienced in playing most every type of class from EQ days , but brand new to DF (just bought and downloaded last night) , so was curious if there was a particular route to go initially to get a good handle on the mechanics overall , early leveling learning of the game etc ?

Comments

  • BadaboomBadaboom Moose Jaw, SKPosts: 2,380Member

    I would go warrior and start busting shit up.

    Edit:  look at your feats and start completing them.  Then start putting those points in your skills, stats, new skills and your booster.

     

  • DahkohtDahkoht Pelham, ALPosts: 290Member
    Was leaning towards that , the defensive or offensive class skill choice it gives you character creation a big deal on which one to make secondary or primary ?
  • BadaboomBadaboom Moose Jaw, SKPosts: 2,380Member
    Originally posted by Dahkoht
    Was leaning towards that , the defensive or offensive class skill choice it gives you character creation a big deal on which one to make secondary or primary ?

    The primary role will allow you to use that roles ulimate (you have to buy it first) and using secondary role skills use more stamina/mana and you cannot use the secondary roles ultimate.

    PS:  Some people will tell you to put your booster in to Dex for more stamina, but I would not do that as it will prevent you from using the best armour and weapons for the warrior class. 

  • ilivesilives Fort Dodge, KSPosts: 418Member
    Warrior = easy mode

    Where have all the "good" shills gone?

  • raapnaapraapnaap LeidenPosts: 397Member Uncommon

    Warrior or Skirmisher.

     

    The Warrior is a bit more forgiving because of the health and armor advantages, plus you don't have to aim much in melee, just look at the direction of your target before swinging.

     

    Skirmishers are alright especially if you enjoy having to aim your shots. It's less forgiving in the sense of health and armor, but the roles have much more escape abilities.

     

    Elementalist and Primalist and more advanced roles and better for group content.

  • Mors.MagneMors.Magne LondonPosts: 1,420Member

    When I played the old Darkfall, I learnt Greatsword first. This was super easy to use. However, on reflection it might have been better to spec into normal sword + shield. This is because you can use a sword + shield while mounted, but obviously you can't use a greatsword.

     

    Also, in theory, a shield should be useful when advancing on ranged attackers. However, I haven't played the new version of the game, so the game mechanics might have changed.

  • DahkohtDahkoht Pelham, ALPosts: 290Member
    Yes was curious about overall usefullness of shields vs two handers , much appreciate the info some of you folks give.
  • JupstoJupsto englandPosts: 2,087Member
    Originally posted by ilives
    Warrior = easy mode

    this but I worry it might put off new players since mele in this game isnt exactly the most exciting style of combat.

    My blog: image

  • DahkohtDahkoht Pelham, ALPosts: 290Member

    Trying also to get a handle on the use of AOE in regards to friendly fire , as in is friendly fire always on no matter if in group or not and vs mobs and other players ?

     

    I see lots of classes with AOE melee and ranged , but wondered if not used much due to danger of hitting ones in your own group

     

    (or am I completely off on the friendly fire thing not even being a factor )

  • NiburuNiburu BerlinPosts: 378Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Consensus
    Originally posted by ilives
    Warrior = easy mode

    this but I worry it might put off new players since mele in this game isnt exactly the most exciting style of combat.

    if you suck at it ( not so good in outrunning your enemies) yes

     

    I would recomment skirmisher since you got dash and later on evade.

     

    primary school deadeye, secondary brawler

     

    only put skillpoints in deadye but buy the evade skill first

  • RealbigdealRealbigdeal Vimont, QCPosts: 1,625Member

    Chose a warrior.

    If you think your aim is decent, chose a skirmisher.

    Leave elementalist for good players who know what spell to chose at the right moment. A single mistake is unforgiven with them. While it's easy to deal damage, it's as hard to stay alive because you die in around 5 hits if you're too slow with your spell selection, bad perception... 

    Chose a primalist if you want to support, but again, you have to be good as an elementalist to handle them. 

     

    C:\Users\FF\Desktop\spin move.gif

  • MMOExposedMMOExposed lalal land, DCPosts: 6,255Member Uncommon
    How is hybrid working?

    image

  • MykellMykell MackayPosts: 618Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Dahkoht

    Trying also to get a handle on the use of AOE in regards to friendly fire , as in is friendly fire always on no matter if in group or not and vs mobs and other players ?

     

    I see lots of classes with AOE melee and ranged , but wondered if not used much due to danger of hitting ones in your own group

     

    (or am I completely off on the friendly fire thing not even being a factor )

    It is a factor. You can change your melee attacks from a sweep to an overhead so not as to hit allies.

  • tristanryantristanryan Elkton, VAPosts: 233Member
    Originally posted by Mykell
    Originally posted by Dahkoht

    Trying also to get a handle on the use of AOE in regards to friendly fire , as in is friendly fire always on no matter if in group or not and vs mobs and other players ?

     

    I see lots of classes with AOE melee and ranged , but wondered if not used much due to danger of hitting ones in your own group

     

    (or am I completely off on the friendly fire thing not even being a factor )

    It is a factor. You can change your melee attacks from a sweep to an overhead so not as to hit allies.

    How? Is there a hotkey that lets you switch back and forth?

  • nuniinunii rehovotPosts: 33Member

    T key

  • aesperusaesperus Hamshire, NVPosts: 5,128Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Dahkoht

    Seeing if any of you DF vets have a recommendation for a best first class route to go to get the handle of DF mechanics ?

    Experienced in playing most every type of class from EQ days , but brand new to DF (just bought and downloaded last night) , so was curious if there was a particular route to go initially to get a good handle on the mechanics overall , early leveling learning of the game etc ?

    Warrior, no question.

    Also, find yourself a decent noob-friendly clan ASAP. DF is not a game that's friendly to those who try and hack it alone. It's doable, but you do so at a big risk. It also gets riskier the longer the game's been out (as more and more players start to stockpile the best gear), so getting into the game earlier is definitely a good idea. Game's only been out a couple days and people are already doing roaming gank parties.

    Also, don't neglect your crafting. It's also best to try and focus on one area of your character when starting. I'd recommend armorsmithing, and then choosing a weapon you want to focus on and then raising that mastery. If the clan you join is fine with fronting you free armor, then you may be able to focus on weaponsmithing instead, it all depends on what you're working with.

Sign In or Register to comment.