Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fuzzy Avatars Solved! Please re-upload your avatar if it was fuzzy!

How does this new release compare to the old Darkfall?

2»

Comments

• Deerhunter71Deerhunter71 Richmond, VAPosts: 527Member
    Originally posted by Mors.Magne
    Originally posted by Deerhunter71
    Originally posted by snapfusion
    The targeting system for archery is the worst thing Ive ever seen, when you draw your bow a giant brilliantly white circle shows up on screen along with a red one and blocks your view of whatever it is your trying to track.  I honestly dont understand the decision here, its game breaking for archers.  How can you track someone and aim if you cant see them.  Its the dumest thing I have ever seen and the reason I have finnaly after 3 years completely given up on this game.

BUT it is the only true FPS MMO out there will be the claim....  They should have kept the original way they did archery and all no doubt - if that is not broken then no need to fix it.  Could have kept that targeting system just fine.

When I played Darkfall 2 years ago, archery was the most used weapon class by far.

I'm surprised it hasn't been play-tested to death.

Yeah - they should never have touched the archery mechanics at all.  It was spot on in the first game for sure!

• NiburuNiburu BerlinPosts: 378Member Uncommon

Here are some manuals and videos so you get an impression:

Manual

http://www.darkfallonline.com/manual

Newbie Guide

Part1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N78axj_GbSk&feature=youtu.be

Part2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Qkm4pG3F0I&feature=youtu.be

Graphic-Test:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oUWO80olMyI

Beta-PVP, note the PvP changed abit because of balancing in the last 3 ays of beta:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H_UV1oWHPZQ

• corpusccorpusc Chattanooga, TNPosts: 1,330Member

How is it easier?

You could kill players and loot everything they had in the old DF. Has this changed?

i think he means its easier to get into.  to learn, and to play.

the new interface is light years ahead of the old one.

its still full loot and FFA PVP everywhere outside of starter city zones.   they do have safe zones around starter cities that even include some monster spawns where players can play in safety.

The End
    ---------------------------
    i don't expect to like Darkfall, altho i may like it MORE than other MMOs. i know it is gonna have a very frustrating level of grind to it, even if its significantly less than most. waiting for a pure FAST action virtual world. dice rolling & character levels (even "skills") IN COMBAT should have never carried over from pencil & paper to a computer that can reasonably model 3D spaces and objects

Originally posted by PAL-18

I was also hoping that they improve their looting system for something more realistic like : it takes 5 seconds to pick dagger from a dead body but 5 minutes to unwear full plate armor but theres nothing like that.

New skill system is really bad but some people likes it and UI is extremely bad atm,nobody likes it.

so its time to write some more,i havent saw any wildlife,deers and such,no idea what happened to them.

i was hoping that they add something to water ,flora and fishes and something,theres nothing.

lol

wrong, a lot of people like the UI.  especially the new players that have no idea how utterly ridiculous the old DF interface was.  it used to be literally the worst game interface i've ever experienced.

i haven't seen them personally (haven't really gotten out in the world much since beta, mostly just gathering) but somebody in global chat said they saw deer out in the wilds.

in SOME areas of the water, they actually added in seawead and other decorations to the ocean floor.  like northwest of the dwarven cities is one example.

The End
    i don't expect to like Darkfall, altho i may like it MORE than other MMOs. i know it is gonna have a very frustrating level of grind to it, even if its significantly less than most. waiting for a pure FAST action virtual world. dice rolling & character levels (even "skills") IN COMBAT should have never carried over from pencil & paper to a computer that can reasonably model 3D spaces and objects

Originally posted by Jean-Luc_Picard
    Originally posted by DarthRaiden

DF:UW is a shell of  "old Darkfall". The goal to create a rich sandbox MMORPG has been dropped  alltogether.  This is a dumbed down big arena game for guilds, with not mucgh left for other playstyles.

Well, Darkfall 1 was already a huge PvP gankfest and not a sandbox MMORPG, so this "Darkfall 2" is just even worse.

DF was never a sandbox like UO was, where all playstyles were viable.

WoW <---------------------------------------------------------DF1--------------------------------->ES

WoW<-DW-UW------------------------------------------------------------------------------------->ES

There was  this thing called hope,DF1 was crazy game if we play it like it was supposed to be played (without cheaters or exploiters) what it could be today if they just kept improving what they had,one can only dream.

But Instead of that they made U-turn.

Everything that exploiters did is now improved to them like "come back exploiters you dont need exploit anymore,this is now good game for you"

Like playing DOOM ,i like that game but some people dont so they use IDKFA and now theres IDKFA for everybody at DF-UW on default and really cant get rid of it.

lol, this post is chock full of absurdity. 

well thanks for illustrating that your thoughts on the game are pretty much useless to normal people.

The End

DF:UW is a shell of  "old Darkfall". The goal to create a rich sandbox MMORPG has been dropped  alltogether.  This is a dumbed down big arena game for guilds, with not mucgh left for other playstyles.

That probably sums it up best and the size of the world is not a "small difference in size" - it is a LOT smaller and missin g many hamlets/cities which are worthless anyhow with all the safe zones now.

This sounds a bit worrying, because I enjoyed doing my own thing in isolated places.

its not "a lot" smaller

i'd guess its about %10-%15 smaller.   its still huge.

and with 16 safezones (around each starter city), each having at least 2 mob spawns each i'd guess, there is a lot of places to fight & get prowess, gather, etc. while not having to worry about other players.

The End

• PAL-18PAL-18 AnachronoxPosts: 802Member
    Originally posted by corpusc

I was also hoping that they improve their looting system for something more realistic like : it takes 5 seconds to pick dagger from a dead body but 5 minutes to unwear full plate armor but theres nothing like that.

New skill system is really bad but some people likes it and UI is extremely bad atm,nobody likes it.

so its time to write some more,i havent saw any wildlife,deers and such,no idea what happened to them.

i was hoping that they add something to water ,flora and fishes and something,theres nothing.

lol

wrong, a lot of people like the UI.  especially the new players that have no idea how utterly ridiculous the old DF interface was.  it used to be literally the worst game interface i've ever experienced.

i haven't seen them personally (haven't really gotten out in the world much since beta, mostly just gathering) but somebody in global chat said they saw deer out in the wilds.

in SOME areas of the water, they actually added in seawead and other decorations to the ocean floor.  like northwest of the dwarven cities is one example.

if they are adding wildlife now and make water life bit more realistic,thats exactly what im hoping for.

I can only hope that they keep the same direction in the future too.

OK i buy that,theres people who like UI,fine,lets ask them again when they die when they are searching their skill while I have all of them macroed in my keyboard and i mean everything.

When UI is so bad it gives huuuuge advantage to those who dont need to use it.

So, did ESO have a successful launch? Yes, yes it did.
    By Ryan Getchell on April 02, 2014.
    **On the radar:http://cyberpunk.net/**

• NiburuNiburu BerlinPosts: 378Member Uncommon

lol

if they are adding wildlife now and make water life bit more realistic,thats exactly what im hoping for.

OK i buy that,theres people who like UI,fine,lets ask them again when they die when they are searching their skill while I have all of them macroed in my keyboard and i mean everything.

Wildlife is ingame

• EpicentEpicent Pierre Part, LAPosts: 647Member
    I only got to play a little before servers went down. Any idea when they are coming back up?
  • OnigodOnigod Noord-HollandPosts: 688Member
    Originally posted by jdlamson75

I played quite a bit of the old Darkfall, but stopped playing about 2 years ago.

How does the new game compare with the old game?

Is the game world bigger?

How have they changed skilling up (if at all)?

How are the NPC quests (if there are any)?

You now level up your skills via prowess points, which are gained by doing just about anything - harvesting, crafting, killing mobs.  The more you harvest/gather/kill in increments, the more prowess you get.  You then allocate those points to your skills for harvesting/crafting/combat, or you can spend them on stat boosters, i.e.e strength, dex, etc.

The world was actually made smaller by AV, and there are less holdings and no chaos cities.

The NPC quests are nonexistent, aside from the kill (x) of this mob in the dungeons, I believe.

The character models have all been made the same size, so with armor on, it really doesn't matter which race you chose.  This is the biggest =( for me; as the models and size of the models in DF1 were what gave me that "Holy Crap, this is awesome!" feeling.  The combat system doesn't seem to be as fluid, and there are classes (yeah, AV calls them roles): Warrior, Elementalist, Primalist, and Skirmisher.  Pretty limited set of combat skills.

Mana missile is still there, though.

Overall, it's a shell of DF1, pretty much a completely new game with a little bit of the feel of DF1; I'm playing it, though.  Might as well.  Maybe by 2019, AV can figure it all out and make a happy mixture of the two games.

It's a pity about it being a smaller world.

I was able to solo in DF because it was such a big world that I could explore the fringes with a low probability of getting ganked by a large force.

Dont worry about the world being to small its mostly useless water being removed with some small cuts out of the world here and there, The lakes are bigger in the new world so ships are deffinelty going to be a part in more sieges.

The world is still huge.

Quests npcs are removed and there is now a feats system. So basicly if you just play the game you will finish feats. You finish one feat and another more difficult one unlocks. You can ignore these completely if you want or just do the ones you feel like doing.

The new ui is very difficult to get into and needs some polishing here and there but once you get the hang of it its really good. My only complaint at darkfall unholy wars at the moment is releasing with not every prestige class available i hope they get the other ones ready before making the game available on steam and such. And i miss the old loot,inventory,banking system.

• PAL-18PAL-18 AnachronoxPosts: 802Member
    Originally posted by Niburu

lol

Wildlife is ingame

okies cool,i have played maybe 6 hours now and still nothing :/

gotta ad to that other guy something more.

I can actually macro all my attack skills on one button of my mouse,now when these people who thinks that UI is good are searching their skills with mouse or with q or e + skill or ctrl or alt + number ,i just press one button of my mouse and i dont need to even follow cooldowns ,everything that i need  launches perfectly and i can do many combos. its insane how bad tthat UI is.

So, did ESO have a successful launch? Yes, yes it did.
    By Ryan Getchell on April 02, 2014.
    **On the radar:http://cyberpunk.net/**

• VassagoMaelVassagoMael Covington, LAPosts: 555Member

lol

I have seen deer, foxes, badgers, and cats. 

Free to play = content updates for the cash shop. Buy to play = content updates for the cash shop.
    Subscription = Actual content updates!

• Mors.MagneMors.Magne LondonPosts: 1,420Member

That probably sums it up best and the size of the world is not a "small difference in size" - it is a LOT smaller and missin g many hamlets/cities which are worthless anyhow with all the safe zones now.

This sounds a bit worrying, because I enjoyed doing my own thing in isolated places.

its not "a lot" smaller

i'd guess its about %10-%15 smaller.   its still huge.

and with 16 safezones (around each starter city), each having at least 2 mob spawns each i'd guess, there is a lot of places to fight & get prowess, gather, etc. while not having to worry about other players.

That's good to know! Thanks!

2»