Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Lore concerns: The Dark Brotherhood.

I heard that ZOS was going to add in the DB. I will be HIGHLY upset if the player base can join them. If a player can join them then most of the playerbase will. And be running around killing their Dark Brother and Sisters in a stupid 3 faction war. That breaks one of the Tenets. Sithis will see you to the void. No et'Ada -daedra or aedra- can stop it. Unless of course they throw the lore away.

Comments

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719

We do not talk about these things in public.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• neroistneroist Member Posts: 24
    Originally posted by Iselin

We do not talk about these things in public.

+1 Best post EVER on these forums!

• LivnthedreamLivnthedream Member Posts: 555
    Mechanics always trump lore. It is not a matter of "throwing it away" just bending it in a way that makes sense for the most people. The number of people that even know, much less care, will be a tiny percentage of the population.
  • jandrsnjandrsn Member Posts: 187
    Noy even sure how that'd work. If say ten thousand people get the same mission to kill some guy, would they instance the house or where ever it is, or would it just have random targets generated for each one? I don't like the idea of thousands of people running around in the armor either. If they didn't have faction lock, they could have brotherhood members act like bounty hunters in swg. That'd be cool, getting jumped by the brotherhood in your safe home region because you got too good at pvp.
  • Caliburn101Caliburn101 Member Posts: 636

The first rule of the Dark Brotherhood, is there is no Dark Brotherhood...

Seriously though - whilst unjoinable factions would once again fly in the face of the was TES has always been, in an MMO, the idea that everyone can be a mage/fighter/assassin/werewolf or vampire is patently ridiculous. On this, there has to be some sort of compromise.

These things work only if the PC is the exception to the rule - as in the single player games, they are of course.

I would much rather see the odd skill being gainable from each of the factions through questlines, so the ability to learn the vampiric health drain spell rather than becoming one. An ability to intimidate wolves and werewolves with a howl you learned from them, not becoming one. Skill lines from human-centric guilds as they seem to suggest they are doing are fine, and if for instance the dragonborn were in the game - the ability to go and learn the odd shout from the Greybeards would be flavoursome and appropriate - but not becoming a dragonborn... that would be ridiculous.

Some of these lines should be mutually exclusive too.

We are yet to see how this is implemented, but the idea of there being thousands of twinked superbeings with full skillsets from every guiild and NPC group in the game, running around with the same abilities ad nauseam makes my eye twitch. I hope they have done it in a sympathetic and believable way.

We shall see.

• muffins89muffins89 Member UncommonPosts: 1,585
    Originally posted by neroist
    I heard that ZOS was going to add in the DB. I will be HIGHLY upset if the player base can join them. If a player can join them then most of the playerbase will. And be running around killing their Dark Brother and Sisters in a stupid 3 faction war. That breaks one of the Tenets. Sithis will see you to the void. No et'Ada -daedra or aedra- can stop it. Unless of course they throw the lore away.

you bring up a good point.  that may be one of the reasons they didn't add them for launch. 

• VarraxVarrax Member Posts: 9
    Originally posted by muffins89

you bring up a good point.  that may be one of the reasons they didn't add them for launch. 

I guess Dark Brotherhood will be added later as a PvP faction. So, all players who likes PvP will be able to join them, and existence of faction won't change general leveling PvE process.

• baphametbaphamet Member RarePosts: 3,311

so how is it any different for say, the fighters guild? members of the fighters guild all fighting each other in cyrodiil?

i would think that a possible solution to this is to name the guilds something slightly different in all three factions, just so it is apparent that the guilds are specific to each faction.

so while there is a dark brotherhood in each faction, they are not affiliated.

that's really the only solution i can see, if that bothers you.

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686
    Originally posted by baphamet

so how is it any different for say, the fighters guild? members of the fighters guild all fighting each other in cyrodiil?

i would think that a possible solution to this is to name the guilds something slightly different in all three factions, just so it is apparent that the guilds are specific to each faction.

so while there is a dark brotherhood in each faction, they are not affiliated.

that's really the only solution i can see, if that bothers you.

Thats how i see it too...   

If there is a waging war, its on a different level then the guilds...

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• faxnadufaxnadu Member UncommonPosts: 940

oh my atlanta! this is not a single player version of your beloved let me play alone rpg cause i hate people version. this is online version. i suggest all these people crying about this and that why its not lie skyrim why its not like oblivion just purely SKIP this title and wait for future offline elder scroll saga child where they can run around being darkbrotherhood and assassin ai controlled " arrow on my knee " npcs. 

• Punk999Punk999 Member UncommonPosts: 882
    I hope The Dark Brotherhood is in.

"Negaholics are people who become addicted to negativity and self-doubt, they find fault in most things and never seem to be satisfied."
    ^MMORPG.com

• DraucantDraucant Member UncommonPosts: 34
    To bad the factions weren't just the guilds themselves, fighter guild, mage guild, dark brotherhood. Ithink that would have been interesting, plus there wouldn't have to be race restrictions.
    Originally posted by Faxnadu

oh my atlanta! this is not a single player version of your beloved let me play alone rpg cause i hate people version. this is online version. i suggest all these people crying about this and that why its not lie skyrim why its not like oblivion just purely SKIP this title and wait for future offline elder scroll saga child where they can run around being darkbrotherhood and assassin ai controlled " arrow on my knee " npcs. 

I don't hate people. I have been playing MMOs since 2005. I log onto a Mumble (sometimes a Vent) server everday to talk with the with people I have met and have long time friendships with. I have played other MMOs with 3 faction war before. TSW was the last.GW2 but that server vs other servers. GW2 only lasted 2 months for most the people I know, my self included getting in around +350 hours in that game.

The problem is when it comes to a game like TES it is very dear to me. I hope they pull it off. But I do not want them to do it lazy for a chash grab of the TES name. I belive they need to take what TES has and bring it to the MMO world. Not make DAoC 2 put on the TES paint and call it ESO.

I know that Beth is not making it. Zenimax has the rights to the IP. Keep the lore and mechanics correct please! Do not allow Dark Brothers and Sisters to go running around killing each other. Come up with something creative that doesn't alienate what has been around TES since the second game Daggerfall.

I am dissapointed with the design choice that was made for ESO. Hopefully they will change my mind. And Me and my friends will enjoy it.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,011
    Originally posted by Varrax

I guess Dark Brotherhood will be added later as a PvP faction. So, all players who likes PvP will be able to join them, and existence of faction won't change general leveling PvE process.

I doubt it will be added as a pvp faction. It will be a pve faction.

if it was a "pvp faction" it will undermine the 3 faction war and errode away "faction pride".

Because of this, if it was a pvp faction, players would only be able to kill enemy players. Which seems very contrived to me. "We're assassins... but we ONLY kill the enemy... yup, that's how we roll".

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • ElRenmazuoElRenmazuo Member RarePosts: 5,361
    Originally posted by Faxnadu

Or just play Skyrim Online...And there are a lot of great mmos where you dont have to be part of any faction like SWG was for example. So yaaaa...not every mmo have to be a PvP game.

• jandrsnjandrsn Member Posts: 187
    Sometimes if you can't do things right, you just shouldn't do them at all. SWG had this problem with jedi; even though they couldn't balance them right they felt the need to shoehorn them in. I guess you can bend the lore a bit, make the db pve only and forgive the inevitable guild on guild pvp? I dunno, this whole IP thing just makes me shake my head. If you make the core fans happy, mmoers will be disappointed. Pleasing mmo types will disappoint the core fans.
    Originally posted by jandrsn
    Sometimes if you can't do things right, you just shouldn't do them at all. SWG had this problem with jedi; even though they couldn't balance them right they felt the need to shoehorn them in. I guess you can bend the lore a bit, make the db pve only and forgive the inevitable guild on guild pvp? I dunno, this whole IP thing just makes me shake my head. If you make the core fans happy, mmoers will be disappointed. Pleasing mmo types will disappoint the core fans.

They can make the MMO people happy as well as the TES players.  I just would like if they kept the TES core at heart. Be creative where and when it needs to be to make the transtion from TES to ESO. Not "shoehorn" something in to appease the TES/MMO fans. I haven't played it yet and don't know how creative they are about these things. Heres to hoping they get it right!

• AcidonAcidon Member UncommonPosts: 796
    Sanguine.