Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

WildStar: First Week's Beta News Released

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

The latest WildStar Wednesday takes a new tack in revealing some of the exciting details of the first week's closed beta test. The blog features a list of the deadliest creatures and then launches into details about the goals for beta testing. 

So what are the overall goals for Carbine with the beta?

Well, we're tracking almost everything that goes on in the game. Combat timings, level timings, movement, you name it. The players’ actions matter to us. Betas aren't always fun per se (there's often a big difference between "playing" and "testing") – so we've tried hard to make sure the game is actually fun even in this, our very first round of external testing. Hopefully we do well most of the time at having a good experience - sometimes we won't - and we need to know where! 

Actually there's a good distinction to make: "Testing" and "Playing" are really often two different things.

Read the full post on the WildStar site.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• TalmienTalmien Member UncommonPosts: 189

The only thing I can find wrong with what carbine is doing is the fact that I'm not in the beta.

They need to fix that.

• zevni78zevni78 Member UncommonPosts: 1,146
    Originally posted by Talmien

The only thing I can find wrong with what carbine is doing is the fact that I'm not in the beta.

They need to fix that.

Actually there is another thing Carbine have done wrong, I'm not in the beta either.

• Frazy123Frazy123 Member UncommonPosts: 22
    Originally posted by zevni78

They need to fix that.

Actually there is another thing Carbine have done wrong, I'm not in the beta either.

Three things wrong already. This is not looking good.

• birdycephonbirdycephon Member UncommonPosts: 1,314
    I'm so happy that players are actually dying to mobs, though I'd like to see the numbers a bit higher. I'm so tired of games that people just breeze through.
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

They need to fix that.

LOl neither am i (.

My only desire would be to have a bit more mature graphics and some shaders and hi res textures but aside from that,the overall game seems to be better than what we have been given for the last 7 years.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• LeiloniLeiloni Member RarePosts: 1,266
    Originally posted by birdycephon
    I'm so happy that players are actually dying to mobs, though I'd like to see the numbers a bit higher. I'm so tired of games that people just breeze through.

I agree, making it a bit of a challenge keeps it interesting.

Also Carbine, where's my key! ;( You dont love me?!

• tordurbartordurbar Member UncommonPosts: 421

I love this company. Please read the complete Wildstar link - it is hilarious at times. My favorite is the player who found out that a taxi driver would give him money and then rode around for 4 (four!!!) hours making money. You have to give Carbine credit - they did not ban him but let him keep a few copper "for making them laugh". 

Looking forward to this game more each day!

• tordurbartordurbar Member UncommonPosts: 421

Please go play something like Darkfall. No, I don't want to breeze through games but making a game to difficult for everyone over 15 is a recipe for a game to be small time. From what I have seen of the videos Wildstar is doing a pretty good job of making things challenging.

• LeiloniLeiloni Member RarePosts: 1,266
    Originally posted by tordurbar

Please go play something like Darkfall. No, I don't want to breeze through games but making a game to difficult for everyone over 15 is a recipe for a game to be small time. From what I have seen of the videos Wildstar is doing a pretty good job of making things challenging.

Games don't need to be huge for one thing, and making leveling interesting doesn't have to mean it's too hard for people. Honestly if leveling content is too mind numbingly easy they are going to lose a lot more players than they'd gain, and those are the types of players that would have otherwise stuck around for a long time. What company wants the kind of gamer that can barely kill quest mobs? They're not going to be doing much contact, especially not all the endgame stuff Carbine is focusing on so much, nor will they be sticking around very long if they don't care enough to learn to play. And 15 year olds don't have the kind of expendable income that older gamers can afford to spend to keep games like Wildstar alive. Besides, I personally want to enjoy my time leveling so stuff that gives me a bit of a challenge is most welcome. Why make us wait until max level to do all the fun stuff?

• MyrdynnMyrdynn Member RarePosts: 2,479
    I wish I could say something :)
  • KareliaKarelia Member Posts: 668
    gj carbine. want to see more :)
  • black_isleblack_isle Member UncommonPosts: 258

"And if your game was 100% polished etc to compete you wouldn't call it "phase 1 of CBT" you'd call it "launch and buy a new island HQ for the studio with all the cash".

Or I guess if you're Notch you do both ;)"

LOL.