Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why metacrtics hurt video game deveoplers news.,

archeagekingarcheageking Member Posts: 88

here is an interesting take article from kotaku about how metacritics score influence video games alike, 

publishers takes metacritics very seriously. Low scores hurts video game developers. Even bestbuy, walmart, and other brick and mortar stores ask for predictions for metacritic to see if they want to feature your games on their shelves.

http://kotaku.com/metacritic-matters-how-review-scores-hurt-video-games-472462218

Comments

• zethcarnzethcarn Member UncommonPosts: 1,558
    I don't believe it.  Ever heard of the boy who cried wolf?  If more than half of the games are getting slammed with bad reviews, noone takes that crap seriously and starts looking for other sources for feedback.
  • fivorothfivoroth Member UncommonPosts: 3,916
    Haha, when it comes to video games metacritic is HORRENDOUS! I literrally physicaly hate that website :D It is a den of hate towards every single game and people give 0s to every other game without any justification. It's all QQ and 0 score reviews. E.g., person A doesn't like 1 single tiny feature in a game and they QQ like there is no tomorrow and give the game 0 which is laughable.

Mission in life: Vanquish all MMORPG.com trolls - especially TESO, WOW and GW2 trolls.

• Kaijin2k3Kaijin2k3 Member Posts: 558
    Originally posted by fivoroth
    Haha, when it comes to video games metacritic is HORRENDOUS! I literrally physicaly hate that website :D It is a den of hate towards every single game and people give 0s to every other game without any justification. It's all QQ and 0 score reviews. E.g., person A doesn't like 1 single tiny feature in a game and they QQ like there is no tomorrow and give the game 0 which is laughable.

Why talk about user scores when the publishers only look at the official scores? They're entirely seperate.

The article though, I'd like to have thought this was well known. Never did like my time dealing with publishers. Sometimes it feels that they are just entire dimensions away from where the rest of us are.

• TribeofOneTribeofOne Member UncommonPosts: 1,006
    reviews(opinions) are like a-holes we all have one and they all stink
  • GroovyFlowerGroovyFlower Member Posts: 1,245

Fun reading reviews but most are just not accurate but i never realy take them serieus.

Seems most reviewers are not realy gamers there just payed to write something thats all.

• blackcat35blackcat35 Member Posts: 479

I bought alot of games that were just plan bad.  I have alot of games that I played a little but it was kind of meh, not thta great.     Its easy to demo a game, but why waste the time on bad games?  How do you find out if its a bad game, see what other people had to say about the game & Look at gameplay videos.   This saves you time before you bother looking at a demo.  

Metacritic saves me time looking at a game that has a nice box and wasting money when its really not worth the money or time.  Occasionally I will ignore metacritic if I'm intersted in playing the game and have a good idea what its all about.

==========================
    The game is dead not, this game is good we make it and Romania Tv give it 5 goat heads, this is good rating for game.

• CrazKanukCrazKanuk Member EpicPosts: 6,130

I think it's absolutely hilarious. It's not like reviews are anything new. In fact, before Metacritic, your game hinged on the review of one or two major reviewers. That was a real problem, IMO. I really don't see the problem with Metacritic. What? You get the opinions of hundreds of reviewers, PLUS! you also get the reviews of your customers. 

I find it really difficult to shed a tear for someone like Obsidian who simply released a crap game. It happens. However, if it had proper testing in place then it wouldn't have happened. When you're a game developer, you are given money to deliver a product on a given schedule. If you suck and can't hit your dates then, well in most cases, you'll ultimately end up cutting corners and hope that nobody notices, but they almost always do. 

I think that Obsidian was lucky, actually. They had a severely flawed game and it still ended up in the top 10% of games. 

Here's the REAL issue. The problem is that the bar is being set higher. Shoot, Diablo 3 was met with probably more zeros than any other game in history from their users. All this really does is show us that gamers are expecting more! That's not a bad thing either, by the way, it just means that game developers need to re-align their budgets and bring in some of the best testers for their projects. So once all the whining and bitching is done, we should get better games. 

Crazkanuk

----------------
    Azarelos - 90 Hunter - Emerald
    Durnzig - 90 Paladin - Emerald
    Demonicron - 90 Death Knight - Emerald Dream - US
    Tankinpain - 90 Monk - Azjol-Nerub - US
    Brindell - 90 Warrior - Emerald Dream - US
    ----------------

• PAL-18PAL-18 Member UncommonPosts: 844

Metacritics should not be tools for developers those should be only used  by customers ,in secret if possible in a way that if some developer reads that holy text then someone pierces their eyeballs  :>

So, did ESO have a successful launch? Yes, yes it did.By Ryan Getchell on April 02, 2014.
    **On the radar: http://www.cyberpunk.net/ **

• birdycephonbirdycephon Member UncommonPosts: 1,314
    Hmm, interesting read.
  • nytemarehnytemareh Member UncommonPosts: 156
    Seems to me it is no different than what you see in these forums everyday.
  • PanzerbasePanzerbase Member Posts: 423
    Originally posted by nytemareh
    Seems to me it is no different than what you see in these forums everyday.

Agreed, the warrior philosophers on MMORPG are more concerned about image than actual fact, and if you displease them they'll gather as one tribe to ban you.