Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Column] Star Wars: The Old Republic: The Best (and Worst) of Rise of the Hutt Cartel

2»

Comments

• VorthanionVorthanion Member RarePosts: 2,749
    Originally posted by birdycephon
    The best lart about f2p, is that you can put down the game and come back later without feeling like youre not getting the value out of your money.

How is that any different for subscription?  You cancel till you return, there is no penalty and you lose nothing for doing so.

• HorusraHorusra Member EpicPosts: 4,411
    Originally posted by Dauzqul

I'm honestly not trolling here.

The people running this game are completely uncapable. They have no idea what to do.

The biggest mistake of this game was the fact that there wasn't anything to do after the quick story. Thus, if I got to call the shots, this is what my first expansion would've been like:

#1. Several new and gigantic player-driven areas or planets. I would have a series of planets that are in the direct middle of Rep Vs. Imp conflict. These planets would not have quests, but would be completely loaded with enemy NPCs, Armies, and World Raid Bosses.

#2. The ultimate purpose for the planets would be for player world housing, player world cities, and player world forts. A city founded under a certain faction will have the ability to place turrets and epic NPC guards. Taxes will be a must.

#3. Deep space exploration - none of this StarFox bs. The expansion would feel as if something like Eve Online was tied into SWTOR.

This kind of material would spread word. Their current trash wil be outplayed in a week...   and then back to square 1.

Let me get this straight they should have only focused on PvP stuff...when the PvP servers are the smallest fraction of the population of the game?

• bingbongbrosbingbongbros Member UncommonPosts: 689
    Hands down worst part of RotHC is what they did to pvp.  Since 2.0 launched with that new craptastic bolster system pvping has gone to complete hell. And the pvp was the only thing I stay subbed to the game for.

Playing: Smite, Marvel Heroes
    Played: Nexus:Kingdom of the Winds, Everquest, DAoC, Everquest 2, WoW, Matrix Online, Vangaurd, SWG, DDO, EVE, Fallen Earth, LoTRo, CoX, Champions Online, WAR, Darkfall, Mortal Online, Guild Wars, Rift, Tera, Aion, AoC, Gods and Heroes, DCUO, FF14, TSW, SWTOR, GW2, Wildstar, ESO, ArcheAge
    Waiting On: Nothing. Mmorpg's are dead.

• goemoegoemoe Member UncommonPosts: 272

The people running this game are completely uncapable. They have no idea what to do.

The biggest mistake of this game was the fact that there wasn't anything to do after the quick story. Thus, if I got to call the shots, this is what my first expansion would've been like:

#1. Several new and gigantic player-driven areas or planets. I would have a series of planets that are in the direct middle of Rep Vs. Imp conflict. These planets would not have quests, but would be completely loaded with enemy NPCs, Armies, and World Raid Bosses.

#2. The ultimate purpose for the planets would be for player world housing, player world cities, and player world forts. A city founded under a certain faction will have the ability to place turrets and epic NPC guards. Taxes will be a must.

#3. Deep space exploration - none of this StarFox bs. The expansion would feel as if something like Eve Online was tied into SWTOR.

This kind of material would spread word. Their current trash wil be outplayed in a week...   and then back to square 1.

Exactly. Something like this is terribly missing in this game. I am still not sure who is to blame, Bioware or EA. Perhaps both. They just don't know what to do, you are right.

• MckiedizMckiediz Member Posts: 48
    Originally posted by Razeekster
    Originally posted by dwarfus
    Originally posted by eric_w66

And that "expansion" would be the equivalent of a brand new game in size and scope basically. And take 5 years to produce.

^This. Players have great ideas for the ideal game. Problem is, none of those ideas would make money in a practical implementation.

SW:TOR should have had way more robust space features to begin with. For goodness sakes this is Star Wars we're talking about! It's all about space and the one thing you can't do is explore space. And don't even bring up the mini spaceship game thing. Just a whole lotta fail.

Star Wars Movie are not about exploring space; Star Trek is, Star Wars is not.

• jesteralwaysjesteralways Member RarePosts: 2,560
    back when i was playing WoW regualrly i made a post when they revealed MoP, it was named : "DO NOT advertise recolored old dungeons as NEW CONTENT". and now it looks like SWToR picked it up from WoW, new level 55 HM FPs which ARE NOT new at all. ever since beta SWToR always looked like they have the worst of WoW and with every passing day EAWARE is proving me right. 

Boobs are LIFE, Boobs are LOVE, Boobs are JUSTICE, Boobs are mankind's HOPES and DREAMS. People who complain about boobs have lost their humanity.

• tordurbartordurbar Member UncommonPosts: 421

"I’ve seen complaints from a number of people that the pacing of the expansion content may be off a bit on the experience side of things."  Ain't this the truth. I stopped playing SWTOR shortly after I hit 50 and then came back for the expansion.  The initial weapon I received was literally twice as good as what I had. It did not make a difference - I get wiped in the second mission three times. I would love to continue but not sure if I will. Fresh, level 50, solo players are at a REAL handicap.

Rift did the same thing to me with their last expansion.

The good news about SWTOR is that I am having fun playing my lower level alts and decided to re-sub because of this.

• bugmenobugmeno Member Posts: 85

OMG I would immediately re-sub for this even if it´s 20 $ per month!!!!!

I wish they would take the game off the rails and add something completely different., some SWG sandbox elements, some Planetside 2 elements and space space, SPACE !

• NikaasNikaas Member UncommonPosts: 135
    Originally posted by jbombard

This is the problem in general with SWTOR, they have an identity crisis.  They don't know what they want to be.  They say they wanted to be a subscription game, but as a sub game they failed because they couldn't create value for their customers.  Instead of creating value, they decided to create some 2nd class citizents then piss on them to make the 1st class citizens feel like they were getting value instead of actually providing value.  Eventually the F2P people will get tired and leave, and subs are left with a game they are paying for monthly and then still having to buy stuff they want from the store.

Exactly what i think.

They made the game F2P only as an excuse to charge subscribers aditionally. If you want to rise your income you have 2 options - sell more or rise prices. But it would be outrageous for subscribers to add cartel shop on top of sub.  So they made F2P option that in its heart is extended trial.

Playing as prefered is not an option when it shoud be in true F2P game. Why not an option? - 1 No way to pay for unlock of credit cap; 2 No way to pay for unlock of commendation cap; 3 Being preffered only makes you pay not monthly sub but weekly one.

EVERY TRUE F2P supporter will tell you that they are ok paying, but they dont want to feel like renting the game, they want to feel like they own it (this is achieved with one time unlocks of things like specific WZs and OPs). But this is not the goal - the goal is to charge subs additionaly and everyone with more then half a brain can see through it.

• superniceguysuperniceguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,278

The $10 fee was not fair to subbers, but fair to F2Pers, as they said it would be free. It would also have been good for subbers to purchase it with cartel coins, then it would have made it more fair

However PWE came along making STOs first expansion free for ALL players, which totally devalues SWTORs expansion with one swift blow, especially after it has also had Season 7 (which added new planet New Romulus with plenty of quests on it), and will be getting Season 8 and 9 this as well, which are all HUGE bits of content, as well as all the other little things like Qs Winter Wonderland, Denise Crosbys 3rd year Anniversary, plus other things.

• sketocafesketocafe Member UncommonPosts: 950

Is male Jedi shelf-ass while wearing robes fixed?

• amalmer1amalmer1 Member Posts: 6
    Originally posted by Vorthanion
    Originally posted by Roin
    Originally posted by jmcdermottuk
    I don't care if the expansion is good or bad. I refuse to give money to EA as long as they think they have any justification to charge cartel coins for such basic things as hotbars or such petty things as a headslot item toggle.

Neither of which stop you from playing from 1 to 50.

....and you blindly miss the point he's making.  Don't support companies that use shoddy business practices, such as charging extra for UI elements and bag space.  I can think of a lot more interesting things you can put a price tag on that would be worth the cost.  Nickel and diming for basic interface options and storage space which is critical for adventuring and crafting are not the way to go.

Unfortunately, if you want a game without a monthly sub this is likely gonna be the norm and not the exception. 

• CoolitCoolit Member UncommonPosts: 661
    Originally posted by superniceguy

The $10 fee was not fair to subbers, but fair to F2Pers, as they said it would be free. It would also have been good for subbers to purchase it with cartel coins, then it would have made it more fair

However PWE came along making STOs first expansion free for ALL players, which totally devalues SWTORs expansion with one swift blow, especially after it has also had Season 7 (which added new planet New Romulus with plenty of quests on it), and will be getting Season 8 and 9 this as well, which are all HUGE bits of content, as well as all the other little things like Qs Winter Wonderland, Denise Crosbys 3rd year Anniversary, plus other things.

I think the problem Bioware have is that it's very expensive and time consuming to make voiced content something that Joel Bylos from Funcom has echoed recently about TSW. It's going to be interesting to see where Bioware goes from here, will they continue with fully voiced content or drop it so they can keep pace with other games that have a faster turnaround and are seen to be more proactive.

I’ve just recently started dabbling with STO and have to say at first I didn’t like it feeling the combat felt awkward but now that I’ve progressed, got used to the controls and seen more of the game it’s a great experience with a really good f2p model which has very few restrictions. I very much doubt SWTOR could ever match the amount of content being added to STO and if they did they would definitely charge for it.

• daltaniousdaltanious Member UncommonPosts: 2,381

All big lies and dishonest tries starts with "Honestly ... "....

Originally posted by Coolit
     I very much doubt SWTOR could ever match the amount of content being added to STO and if they did they would definitely charge for it.

If SWTOR could keep up with STO, then they may not need to charge for it, as with more content going into the game, they would probably get more players / subbers as a result. Makeb iniitially was going to be free, and undecided until Dec but as they were not getting enough revenue from the paying players by Dec, they decided to charge for it.

• BadOrbBadOrb Member UncommonPosts: 791
    Originally posted by koboldfodder

Their biggest mistake was thinking that people would not reach level cap sooner than they anticipated.  In fact, the reached it a lot sooner than anticipated.  Their second biggest mistake was throwing so much money and production into the voice overs that actual game content took too long to produce.

This marks the end of class story stuff as it just takes too long to make....something that most players told them long before this game even launched.

This game is a glorious disaster and even though there are people playing it, it will long be remembered as a galatic failure of epic proportions.

The voice overs didn't cost that much at all as they have stated recently ( keep up todate before posting ? ). The cost and Q and A time , was mainly from the extreme amount of choice within the quests. They are hard to fully test and very time cnsuming.

As for the expansion , well I spent about 6 days just spending planetary comms on 13 characters. Then we played makeb yestrday and some very funny moments occured. I accidently threw a grenade at a droid after a mob fight and it was an instant burning robot kill. Then in a building as we where fighting a mob a c3p0 and r2-d2 type droid where moving rooms and got caught up in a huge explosion from another one of my grenades , hillarious!

Makeb seems a really cool planet , especially for $10 or even as the blogger states for $20.

Cheers,

BadOrb.

PSO 4 years , EQOA 4 months , PSU 7 years , SWTOR launch ongoing , PSO2 SEA launch ongoing , Destiny 360 launch ongoing.
    "SWG was not fun. Let it go buddy." quote from iiNoSkillzii 10/18/13
    The original propoganda pixie dust villain :[]

• MysteryBMysteryB Member UncommonPosts: 355
    This expansion ruined a good game, it didn't improve anything, boring new planet, ruined PvP and horrible looking gear not to mention the mediocre story

Mystery Bounty

• daltaniousdaltanious Member UncommonPosts: 2,381

I love swtor, no doubt about from all my posts. Best game ever along with wow.

About Hutts .. this hardly deserves to be named "expansion", more likely "mini expansion". However, compared to other games where expansion cost usually same ammount as main game ... here we have also mini price for mini expansion.

I would prefer something more substantial ...but overall I'm very happy and having a blast.

• tintilinictintilinic Member Posts: 283
    Originally posted by amalmer1
    Originally posted by Vorthanion
    Originally posted by Roin
    Originally posted by jmcdermottuk
    I don't care if the expansion is good or bad. I refuse to give money to EA as long as they think they have any justification to charge cartel coins for such basic things as hotbars or such petty things as a headslot item toggle.

Neither of which stop you from playing from 1 to 50.

....and you blindly miss the point he's making.  Don't support companies that use shoddy business practices, such as charging extra for UI elements and bag space.  I can think of a lot more interesting things you can put a price tag on that would be worth the cost.  Nickel and diming for basic interface options and storage space which is critical for adventuring and crafting are not the way to go.

Unfortunately, if you want a game without a monthly sub this is likely gonna be the norm and not the exception. 

It will be norm for failed games.

I dont see GW2 doing this. In fact you can play GW2 completely without ever even looking at cash shop.

Then theres Tera, completely free, Lineage 2 completely free, LOTRO/DDO where you actually buy content so its really weighted decision freemium or sub....

SWTORs extended free trial is just that....extended free trial where they try to nickle and dime those on extended free trail while at the same time double/triple dipping on subscribers. Its just craptastic model.

Theres lots of games to compare to, theres no way around that.

• SoulsemmerSoulsemmer Member UncommonPosts: 28
    Too many people think this game is supposed to be SWG. It was never meant to be, stop lamenting it. I enjoy this expansion to an extent, though yeah, the leveling curve seems a bit off. It's still fun, especially for the price.
    Originally posted by Soulsemmer
    Too many people think this game is supposed to be SWG. It was never meant to be, stop lamenting it. I enjoy this expansion to an extent, though yeah, the leveling curve seems a bit off. It's still fun, especially for the price.

I never really expected SWTOR to be like SWG as LA always stated that the games would be different, and because of that they stated that both SWG and SWTOR could co-exist. I was looking foward to playing both games, and if SWG was still alive, I would be subbing to both right now, as SWG would have slowed down my SWTOR play time.

I expected SWTOR and SWG to co-exist and then maybe SWG shut down later, as people migrated to SWTOR. That is not what happened, and SWG got shut down as SWTOR launched. SWG had 6 months notice instead of 1-3 months because there was still plenty of people playing SWG, and even Smedley thought SWG would die with SWTOR as he expected it to be an awesome game. SWTOR launched with 2 million sales, and then it just went down hill from that, and it went F2P to save themselves, as EA stated that they needed 500K subs to break even. If it was an awesome game then it would have sustained those players and gained more. It seems now they realised that SWTOR was going to tank, and pulled SWG so that people had no other SW MMO to play. If SWG did not shut down, then SWTOR would be a lot more worse off than it is now.

I miss SWG for more than just the game, but that all these companies just say things and then change their minds. The shutting down of SWG the way it happened totally destroyed my motivation for playing any MMO. If SWTOR was a success, then the shutting down of SWG would have been worth it, but they were wrong, and these companies just do not seem to know what they are doing.

LOTRO is not like SWG either, but IMO it is the best MMO out there, it is so similar to WOW, and is another theme park WOW clone, but also adds so much more, and does not feel so much like a hub based game, and has more of a open world to explore.

Now they try and copy the success of F2P which Turbine did with LOTRO, but that succeeded as LOTRO is a great game, and the F2P is not too greedy.

Basically SWTOR is just not a great game, and it not being like SWG has nothing to do with it. I think SWTOR was a better game before it went F2P. Now it is all about trying to grab as much money from players as possible. Their F2P system gets more money from subbers in the Cartel Market than from people who play on F2P / preferred. If the game had not tanked it would not be F2P, and the game would have expanded to have much cooler and more fun stuff added to it, now they do not have the money to make it what it was meant to be. SWTOR is a single player game with multiplayer support, to be enjoyed by playing characters through their story, and then when you hit max level and the class stories end, then it is game over. It is not a MMO where you cna sink your teeth into for years and years - this is what I was expecting. LOTRO is 6 years old now, and I was there is beta and the start, and still playing it, I can not say the same for SWTOR.

Makeb was stated, by EA/BW, to be the biggest free content update for any MMO. The price to subbers is not fair because of that, but for people not subbing it is fair. Actually this is one thing that people should be paying for, not to pay to unlock parts of the UI etc  As they are charging for that as well, then it all adds up and puts people off. If PWE announced a price for Legacy of Romulus for STO I would have expected that, as never knew about this until last month, and was never said that it would be free, but it is coming for free for subbers and F2Pers.

• CryptorCryptor Member UncommonPosts: 523
    Wowza, it's not often that I read something that claims to be a review and is this biased towards the product.  Whether this is a godo "expension" or nor I had to stopr eading after the second paragraph 'couse this is just a piece of EA advertisement.  No t a shred of objectivity or credibility for that matter.  Sad.
  • SephirosoSephiroso Member RarePosts: 2,020
    Originally posted by Cryptor
    Wowza, it's not often that I read something that claims to be a review and is this biased towards the product.  Whether this is a godo "expension" or nor I had to stopr eading after the second paragraph 'couse this is just a piece of EA advertisement.  No t a shred of objectivity or credibility for that matter.  Sad.

and i had to stop reading your comment at "nor" because i felt like i was losing brain cells.

fix your keyboard dude. im sure its just sticky keys.

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

• athynzathynz Member UncommonPosts: 9

Okay #1 I can get on board with - provided they also had player class storylines to follow. #2 and #3 not so much - have you ever watched a Star Wars movie? They do not do much if any space exploration - it's pretty much fly from Tattoine to Alderaan to Corellia to Imperial Center/Corescant. There is no "explore the Mutara Nebula" as in Star Trek. You want that go play STO - it's full of space exploration... not so much the ground combat unless they've expanded that on a massive scale since I played it last. And "player owned towns"? Umm no, just no. There's enough of that in other games and is also not a Star Wars thing. Perhaps the point you are not getting is that this game is meant to be Star Wars not a Mix of STO/Skyrim/Everquest/Plantside/SWG/GW with a covering of Star Wars. You seem to like PvP and that's cool - but your post seems to focus on it in it's entirety and there are those who would much rather go with the PvE. That's my take on it.