Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How does this new release compare to the old Darkfall?

Mors.MagneMors.Magne Member UncommonPosts: 1,549

I played quite a bit of the old Darkfall, but stopped playing about 2 years ago.

How does the new game compare with the old game?

Is the game world bigger?

How have they changed skilling up (if at all)?

How are the NPC quests (if there are any)?

Comments

• PAL-18PAL-18 Member UncommonPosts: 844

if Darkfall was dungeon in  WoW then:

UW would be easy mode and  DF1 hardcore mode.

some people likes it more some dont.

i dont,but its still the closest thing to Elder Scroll games,its still great.

theres lots of things that needs to get improved,maybe they learned from the past and actually improve this game in near future,who knows,nobody.

So, did ESO have a successful launch? Yes, yes it did.By Ryan Getchell on April 02, 2014.
    **On the radar: http://www.cyberpunk.net/ **

• Mors.MagneMors.Magne Member UncommonPosts: 1,549
    Originally posted by PAL-18

theres lots of things that needs to get improved,maybe they learned from the past and actually improve this game in near future,who knows,nobody.

How is it easier?

You could kill players and loot everything they had in the old DF. Has this changed?

• jdlamson75jdlamson75 Member UncommonPosts: 1,010
    Originally posted by Mors.Magne

I played quite a bit of the old Darkfall, but stopped playing about 2 years ago.

You now level up your skills via prowess points, which are gained by doing just about anything - harvesting, crafting, killing mobs.  The more you harvest/gather/kill in increments, the more prowess you get.  You then allocate those points to your skills for harvesting/crafting/combat, or you can spend them on stat boosters, i.e.e strength, dex, etc.

The world was actually made smaller by AV, and there are less holdings and no chaos cities.

The NPC quests are nonexistent, aside from the kill (x) of this mob in the dungeons, I believe.

The character models have all been made the same size, so with armor on, it really doesn't matter which race you chose.  This is the biggest =( for me; as the models and size of the models in DF1 were what gave me that "Holy Crap, this is awesome!" feeling.  The combat system doesn't seem to be as fluid, and there are classes (yeah, AV calls them roles): Warrior, Elementalist, Primalist, and Skirmisher.  Pretty limited set of combat skills.

Mana missile is still there, though.

Overall, it's a shell of DF1, pretty much a completely new game with a little bit of the feel of DF1; I'm playing it, though.  Might as well.  Maybe by 2019, AV can figure it all out and make a happy mixture of the two games.

Originally posted by jdlamson75

You now level up your skills via prowess points, which are gained by doing just about anything - harvesting, crafting, killing mobs.  The more you harvest/gather/kill in increments, the more prowess you get.  You then allocate those points to your skills for harvesting/crafting/combat, or you can spend them on stat boosters, i.e.e strength, dex, etc.

The world was actually made smaller by AV, and there are less holdings and no chaos cities.

The NPC quests are nonexistent, aside from the kill (x) of this mob in the dungeons, I believe.

The character models have all been made the same size, so with armor on, it really doesn't matter which race you chose.  This is the biggest =( for me; as the models and size of the models in DF1 were what gave me that "Holy Crap, this is awesome!" feeling.  The combat system doesn't seem to be as fluid, and there are classes (yeah, AV calls them roles): Warrior, Elementalist, Primalist, and Skirmisher.  Pretty limited set of combat skills.

Mana missile is still there, though.

Overall, it's a shell of DF1, pretty much a completely new game with a little bit of the feel of DF1; I'm playing it, though.  Might as well.  Maybe by 2019, AV can figure it all out and make a happy mixture of the two games.

It's a pity about it being a smaller world.

I was able to solo in DF because it was such a big world that I could explore the fringes with a low probability of getting ganked by a large force.

How is it easier?

You could kill players and loot everything they had in the old DF. Has this changed?

I was hoping that they improve their flagging system to something like there is for example in AO,where i could actually RP criminal etc  and get like 4 hour red flag and everybody can attack me anywhere and they wont get flagged but atm the whole flagging system is gone,maybe they are developing something,i do hope so.

Theres also huge safe zones now,which doesnt really make sense.

I was also hoping that they improve their looting system for something more realistic like : it takes 5 seconds to pick dagger from a dead body but 5 minutes to unwear full plate armor but theres nothing like that.

New skill system is really bad but some people likes it and UI is extremely bad atm,nobody likes it.

inventory system is huge step backwards,i liked the realistic touch ,when i fill my backpack with stuff it will be a mess,i liked it (what is at the bottom stays at the bottom if not manually moved)

theres lots of things ,full loot is there just the way it was but thats the problem it could be better.

edit:and servers just went offline while writing:<

so its time to write some more,i havent saw any wildlife,deers and such,no idea what happened to them.

i was hoping that they add something to water ,flora and fishes and something,theres nothing.

It starts to feel like a flat ground where you skill fast and then fight,i dont think that is a good idea in the end because there is better games for that.

So, did ESO have a successful launch? Yes, yes it did.By Ryan Getchell on April 02, 2014.

• DarthRaidenDarthRaiden Member UncommonPosts: 4,333

DF:UW is a shell of  "old Darkfall". The goal to create a rich sandbox MMORPG has been dropped  alltogether.  This is a dumbed down big arena game for guilds, with not mucgh left for other playstyles.

-----MY-TERMS-OF-USE--------------------------------------------------
    $OE - eternal enemy of online gaming
    -We finally WON !!!! 2011 $OE accepted that they have been fired 2005 by the playerbase and closed down ridiculous NGE !!

"There was suppression of speech and all kinds of things between disturbing and fascistic." Raph Koster (parted $OE)

• GadzyGadzy Member Posts: 143

I was able to solo in DF because it was such a big world that I could explore the fringes with a low probability of getting ganked by a large force.

It's a very small difference of size. Most of the world is the same.

Holy moses,i hope this new lobby doesnt mean what i think it means.

• GreymoorGreymoor Member UncommonPosts: 802

They removed macroing as a form of progression.

Made the world more compact (redesigned it too)

Added many feats, aka quests really

The game isn't quiet as fluid as DF1 later on but that will come with fixes.

Far far far more friendly towards new players and more instructive on how to do things.

No need for a dozen plus scripts to play effecively.

• KanesterKanester Member UncommonPosts: 375

It's not easyer, it's just more nooby friendly which is a good thing. The world is huge and the game feels like an old school mmo.

There is still work to be done ofc but this game is brutal. Enjoying it so far.

I'm very tempted to try it. It's a pity there isn't a free trial.

I prefer the over-the-shoulder / first-person view compared to games that have the zoomed-out 'god view' - e.g. GW2. The UW world looks more immersive.

However, this looks like a game for hardcore players rather than casual players, like me, so I'm a bit wary of it.

• itbewillyitbewilly Member UncommonPosts: 351

I cant speak from a gameplay stand point but from the live stream i seen of it the games already looks more inviting to some players. The new UI improvements are great and the less cluster fucked inventory will be welcoming. The main thing i hated about DF was its inventory. and how stuff just overlapped everything.. Game play otherwise looks the same(like watching someone play Oblivion but with other people) which is a plus.

I might actually buy/play this game again now from what ive seen of it.

• Deerhunter71Deerhunter71 Member Posts: 527
    Originally posted by DarthRaiden

DF:UW is a shell of  "old Darkfall". The goal to create a rich sandbox MMORPG has been dropped  alltogether.  This is a dumbed down big arena game for guilds, with not mucgh left for other playstyles.

That probably sums it up best and the size of the world is not a "small difference in size" - it is a LOT smaller and missin g many hamlets/cities which are worthless anyhow with all the safe zones now.

Originally posted by Jean-Luc_Picard

Well, Darkfall 1 was already a huge PvP gankfest and not a sandbox MMORPG, so this "Darkfall 2" is just even worse.

DF was never a sandbox like UO was, where all playstyles were viable.

WoW <---------------------------------------------------------DF1--------------------------------->ES

WoW<-DW-UW------------------------------------------------------------------------------------->ES

There was  this thing called hope,DF1 was crazy game if we play it like it was supposed to be played (without cheaters or exploiters) what it could be today if they just kept improving what they had,one can only dream.

But Instead of that they made U-turn.

Everything that exploiters did is now improved to them like "come back exploiters you dont need exploit anymore,this is now good game for you"

Like playing DOOM ,i like that game but some people dont so they use IDKFA and now theres IDKFA for everybody at DF-UW on default and really cant get rid of it.

• StrontyDogStrontyDog Member Posts: 83

There are two opinions on the changes. There are those who are signing petitions asking for Darkfall 1 back and have been signing petitions and have been very vocal about how much they hate UW, and there are those who like most of the changes and like the game.

So far I think a lot of what they have added is good, I like the roles idea as it offers variation in combat. Currently there are only two schools per role, two more for each role are due to be added and I think these need are needed and more to offer allow people to really feel like they can create a build that is unique and personalised for themselves. The feat system is quite comprehensive and gives you goals to achieve for those that like that sort of thing rather than just farming mobs for skills/loot. The changes away from skill based leveling to prowess is pretty huge and has eliminated macroing completely from the game which was the major problem a lot of people had with the game.

They attempted to improve the UI and in terms of keybindings for the most part that is a lot better. I had one of the most comprehensive autohotkey scripts in Darkfall and so far for UW I haven't felt the need to create a script. I may add a small script for things like autocasting heal spells rather than needing two clicks later on. There are a lot of nice things in the new UI like the map, clan information etc but the chat system and inventory is clunky as hell and very annoying. The UI also can no longer be customised to how you like it yourself, you basically take what you get. They added radial dials and a whole system to use them which I would think 99% of players find completely useless and instead bind keys directly to the slots on the radial dials and use them that way instead.

The safe zones make it easier for new players coming into the game and I like the atmosphere in NPC cities now there is no macroing and people aren't watching their back or looking for opportunities to gank other players. It is also a relief not having to degear every time you get to the bank so you don't come back and find you've been killed in some inventive way while you were afk. They can be annoying when you want to kill someone near a safe zone and he manages to get away from you before you can kill him. The mobs inside the safe zones are worthless to anyone but newbies so I don't have a problem with newbies having some safety from attack while they are getting used to the game.

There are still lots of things missing from the game in comparison to DFO. Very limited ships, no siege weapons besides hammers and spikes, no advanced mounts, no enchanting, no jewelcrafting, no dungeons besides newbie dungeons, no boss mobs, much smaller monster variety than before.

• SysFailSysFail Member Posts: 375

Apart from the slow download on day one to get the client the games been rock solid for a launch. It needs work to smooth things out, but compared to the original DF launch this one has gone better than AV probably imagined it.

The game world its self is smaller, but once dungeons are completed, it will feel a whole lot bigger as they are beneath the world and linked to one another also, making for a fun subterranean experience.

The feats and prowess system for raising skills is a much improved route over the old grind, its more social as spawns react to how many players there are and increases, making it faster also. Feat groups have become common place quickly.

It definitely is a LOT better than the first launch - but OP if you want to get a better summary just go to the DF forums and read the discussions; especially the tech support forum and you will get a good general idea of how it is going overall; and then will have done your research to make a decision.

2 of the best threads to probably read which has support from BOTH sides and opinions and give differing stances also:

https://forums.darkfallonline.com/showthread.php?363604-Game-is-officially-released-Is-the-game-performing-up-to-your-standards

https://forums.darkfallonline.com/showthread.php?363636-Shit-about-to-hit-the-fan

Originally posted by Deerhunter71

That probably sums it up best and the size of the world is not a "small difference in size" - it is a LOT smaller and missin g many hamlets/cities which are worthless anyhow with all the safe zones now.

This sounds a bit worrying, because I enjoyed doing my own thing in isolated places.

Originally posted by SysFail

Apart from the slow download on day one to get the client the games been rock solid for a launch. It needs work to smooth things out, but compared to the original DF launch this one has gone better than AV probably imagined it.

The game world its self is smaller, but once dungeons are completed, it will feel a whole lot bigger as they are beneath the world and linked to one another also, making for a fun subterranean experience.

The feats and prowess system for raising skills is a much improved route over the old grind, its more social as spawns react to how many players there are and increases, making it faster also. Feat groups have become common place quickly.

That sounds good (the bit in red).

• EndDreamEndDream Member Posts: 1,152

People are going crazy over the safe zones, sure there is alot more than before but its still only like 15% of the world. Almost all of the world is open PvP.

Also before the world was stupidly large. I have a job and when I play a game for 3 hours it's not fun to be running to a fight for over a third of that time. It took forever to do anything at launch last time, I know they added some help to reduce this but still, why not have a populated world?

Remember Old School Ultima Online

Originally posted by EndDream

People are going crazy over the safe zones, sure there is alot more than before but its still only like 15% of the world. Almost all of the world is open PvP.

Also before the world was stupidly large. I have a job and when I play a game for 3 hours it's not fun to be running to a fight for over a third of that time. It took forever to do anything at launch last time, I know they added some help to reduce this but still, why not have a populated world?

I agree with you in theory - a populated world is good.

However, in practice (from experience) Darkfall quickly becomes dominated by clans that are hardcore PvPers.

There needs to be places that the not-so-hardcore can escape to, so that they can obtain decent materials.

The exploration is also good in a big world. I remember reviewers liking the fact that there were large open spaces.

Nevertheless, I'll probably buy UW (and chop down all the wood I'll need quick in the starter areas before they become overpopulated).

• snapfusionsnapfusion Member Posts: 954
    The targeting system for archery is the worst thing Ive ever seen, when you draw your bow a giant brilliantly white circle shows up on screen along with a red one and blocks your view of whatever it is your trying to track.  I honestly dont understand the decision here, its game breaking for archers.  How can you track someone and aim if you cant see them.  Its the dumest thing I have ever seen and the reason I have finnaly after 3 years completely given up on this game.
    Originally posted by snapfusion
    The targeting system for archery is the worst thing Ive ever seen, when you draw your bow a giant brilliantly white circle shows up on screen along with a red one and blocks your view of whatever it is your trying to track.  I honestly dont understand the decision here, its game breaking for archers.  How can you track someone and aim if you cant see them.  Its the dumest thing I have ever seen and the reason I have finnaly after 3 years completely given up on this game.

BUT it is the only true FPS MMO out there will be the claim....  They should have kept the original way they did archery and all no doubt - if that is not broken then no need to fix it.  Could have kept that targeting system just fine.

BUT it is the only true FPS MMO out there will be the claim....  They should have kept the original way they did archery and all no doubt - if that is not broken then no need to fix it.  Could have kept that targeting system just fine.

When I played Darkfall 2 years ago, archery was the most used weapon class by far.

I'm surprised it hasn't been play-tested to death.

When I played Darkfall 2 years ago, archery was the most used weapon class by far.

I'm surprised it hasn't been play-tested to death.

Yeah - they should never have touched the archery mechanics at all.  It was spot on in the first game for sure!