Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Defiance gets 5.9 ( Mediocre ) from Ign.com

Comments

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838

I think 5.9 is kind.  With the way Trion has handled their two games after RIFT, It should be concerning to those waiting for Archeage. 

There will be a lot of changes coming down the pipe there.

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

This is one guys review not an IGN review.

I found it extremely tough to swallow that he mentions Defiance does not hook you in ,yet WOW did?IS he serious,Wow is like the ONLY major game until Rift that does not land you in a major starting area/city.That is why although his reference to Wow is a weak one,i do know Trion did the same thing,starting you in some warehouse in Rift,instead of an active city.

So not exactly sure what he finds as a gaming HOOK to keep you going,i know it differes far from my expectations.

Even still,i have done a lot of reading, a lot of video watching on this  game and it just seems ot be like so many other games,done half ass.

What scares me a lot is that developers tend to listen to media outlets more than the actual gamers.When i hear talk of poor AI,i fear the lazy system designers at various studios,wil ltake that as meaning "We better up the accuracy".

GOOD solid AI,needs to be challenging yes,but it also needs to look realistic and not like some automated computer program.It really does take some effort,something system designers need to put more care into.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• BrownAleBrownAle Member Posts: 399

Oh, the guy who made this review gave Diablo 3 a 9.5. 

Clearly Trion didnt pay them as much lol.

• CalibanvovCalibanvov Member UncommonPosts: 192

I really enjoy the game and like the show.  Hopefully there will be a free trial in a couple of months,  so people dont miss out on this.

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    Originally posted by BrownAle

It's the lowest review I've seen over the past 2 years. 

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • tank017tank017 Member Posts: 2,192
    metacritic,both professionals and user reviews give it about mediocre as well.
  • Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440
    I don't put a lot of stock into IGN's reviews, they just seem like a bunch of hipster a-holes or something, but it's true what the above poster says, the reviews are not wildly inconsistent overall. 
  • DAS1337DAS1337 Member UncommonPosts: 2,610

IIt was worth the $60 for me.  They have already had a hand full of patches already since launch.  I expect more of the same.  It's Trion after all and they clearly had to rush the launch based on the TV show premier.

The 5.9 must have been before the huge patch on Monday.  They have fixed a ton of things.

• DoogiehowserDoogiehowser Member Posts: 1,873

Yeah there we go again. Low scores by default means Trion didn't pay them enough. Maybe they didn't pay anyone in that case because they are getting average ratings across the board.

What are the chances that game is actually mediocre in its current state? but no it has to be that critics are just looking for a pay day.

They still rated it higher than Angry Joe though. lol

"The problem is that the hardcore folks always want the same thing: 'We want exactly what you gave us before, but it has to be completely different.'
    -Jesse Schell

"Online gamers are the most ludicrously entitled beings since Caligula made his horse a senator, and at least the horse never said anything stupid."
    -Luke McKinney

• kaiser3282kaiser3282 Member UncommonPosts: 2,759
    Originally posted by Doogiehowser

Yeah there we go again. Low scores by default means Trion didn't pay them enough. Maybe they didn't pay anyone in that case because they are getting average ratings across the board.

What are the chances that game is actually mediocre in its current state? but no it has to be that critics are just looking for a pay day.

Well, for starters, you have things like what Im posting below in the review:

" Rather than the addictive, "Where did the day go?" sort of experience I had when I started out my adventures in World of Warcraft and Star Wars: The Old Republic"

then

" the vast intervening stretches are filled with some of the dullest and most repetitious quest design I’ve experienced in an MMO"

then

"It’s really a shame that the encounters aren’t more fun, too, because it would have helped make it easier to look past the side quests, which range from mediocre to awful. Most boil down to the most derivative sort of fetching – find and activate three generators, locate three clues, kill 10 enemies... the stuff MMOs are frequently made fun of for."

Now here's the thing. The same things they are complaining about Defiance having, and at least partially giving it lower scores for, are the exact same things that you do in games that this reviewer is praising and that they gave high scores too. Seriously. Defiance gets knocked because it has kill & fetch quests... yet its amazing and fun in WoW, SWTOR, WAR, and various other games in which the majority of their content consists of kill this, fetch that, interact with some other thing.

BTW: This reviewer is also the same reviewer that gave Diablo 3 a 9.5 / 10. Really? REALLY? You cant really deny that things look pretty ridiculous considering scores like that.

Originally posted by kaiser3282

" Rather than the addictive, "Where did the day go?" sort of experience I had when I started out my adventures in World of Warcraft and Star Wars: The Old Republic"

then

" the vast intervening stretches are filled with some of the dullest and most repetitious quest design I’ve experienced in an MMO"

then

"It’s really a shame that the encounters aren’t more fun, too, because it would have helped make it easier to look past the side quests, which range from mediocre to awful. Most boil down to the most derivative sort of fetching – find and activate three generators, locate three clues, kill 10 enemies... the stuff MMOs are frequently made fun of for."

Now here's the thing. The same things they are complaining about Defiance having, and at least partially giving it lower scores for, are the exact same things that you do in games that this reviewer is praising and that they gave high scores too. Seriously. Defiance gets knocked because it has kill & fetch quests... yet its amazing and fun in WoW, SWTOR, WAR, and various other games in which the majority of their content consists of kill this, fetch that, interact with some other thing.

Defiance released in 2013..maybe people are sick of just bland fetch and kill quests and want a little more to it? yes basic tasks will always be the same but when recent games like GW2 and TSW tried to spice things up i am sure Trion could have tried a little harder here. They didn't even make an effort and just piled up one mission over the other. When the devs have no interest in making quests interesting ca,'t blame players for knocking it down.

SWTOR, WOW and WAR didn't release this year.

"The problem is that the hardcore folks always want the same thing: 'We want exactly what you gave us before, but it has to be completely different.'
    -Jesse Schell

"Online gamers are the most ludicrously entitled beings since Caligula made his horse a senator, and at least the horse never said anything stupid."
    -Luke McKinney

• kaiser3282kaiser3282 Member UncommonPosts: 2,759

then

then

Defiance released in 2013..maybe people are sick of just bland fetch and kill quests and want a little more to it? yes basic tasks will always be the same but when recent games like GW2 and TSW tried to spice things up i am sure Trion could have tried a little harder here. They didn't even make an effort and just piled up one mission over the other. When the devs have no interest in making quests interesting ca,'t blame players for knocking it down.

SWTOR released less than a year and a half ago, and they praise the game. Diablo 3 (which this guy gave a 9.5 to) released in the past year (and consisted mainly of killing stuff and picking up loot while replaying the same short storyline over and over again). Sorry but games havent changed in that year and a half, hell theyve barely changed in 10 years. Regardless of the time between the releases of the games, these things are mechanics of just about any game. Not something that changes and becomes dated with advances in technology, like graphics. Any game (aside from specific niches like dancing, singing, sports games, etc) is going to consist of things like killing enemies, fetching items, interacting with / triggering objects. Remove those things and you would have a game that consists of staring at a screen doing nothing.

A review should be based on the merits of the game itself, not based on wether or not theyre bored with doing something because they did it in a different game a year ago. If that is the situation and a reviewer can no longer differentiate between his own bias and boredom of an entire genre of games vs the actual offerings of an individual game, this person should no longer be doing official reviews for a company.

Really not sure how or why you are defending such behavior

• JeroKaneJeroKane Member EpicPosts: 6,965
    Originally posted by Normandy7
    As many have been saying the game is average at best. The show is more interesting than the mmo.

This. I think IGN was still quite generous giving it an almost 6 out of 10.

• BetaguyBetaguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,629
    The TV show is great, the game not so much... Just my opinion.  I like the show so much I am giving it Firefly quality.
    "The King and the Pawn return to the same box at the end of the game"

then

then

SWTOR released less than a year and a half ago, and they praise the game. Diablo 3 (which this guy gave a 9.5 to) released in the past year (and consisted mainly of killing stuff and picking up loot while replaying the same short storyline over and over again). Sorry but games havent changed in that year and a half, hell theyve barely changed in 10 years. Regardless of the time between the releases of the games, these things are mechanics of just about any game. Not something that changes and becomes dated with advances in technology, like graphics. Any game (aside from specific niches like dancing, singing, sports games, etc) is going to consist of things like killing enemies, fetching items, interacting with / triggering objects. Remove those things and you would have a game that consists of staring at a screen doing nothing.

A review should be based on the merits of the game itself, not based on wether or not theyre bored with doing something because they did it in a different game a year ago. If that is the situation and a reviewer can no longer differentiate between his own bias and boredom of an entire genre of games vs the actual offerings of an individual game, this person should no longer be doing official reviews for a company.

I am sorry, but I bought two CE editions of SW:TOR! One for my gf and one for me! We were extremely looking forward to it for years!

And oh boy were we dissapointed in the end. But compared to DEFIANCE.... even SW:TOR blows DEFIANCE straight out of the water content wise, feature wise, social aspect wise.... and I can go on.

DEFIANCE is suppose to be an FPS + MMO! And they misserably fail on both fronts.

As FPS this game is a joke! As PVP is such an utter joke in this game.... any FPS game out there blows this thing out of the water.

As MMO this game is a joke! As it's extremely mediocre. Very tiny map, very thin on content (mostly just a pursuit grindfest aka achievement grind) and a completely broken social system.

So tell me again as to why DEFIANCE deserves more than a 5,9 score? I think it's still too high.

And in that regard.... IGN continues what they have always done. Overscoring every game out there.

then

then

Diablo is not a MMO. So i don't know why you are mentioning that.

SWTOR released 1 year and 7 months ago. I don't blame people for having better expectations after playing games like GW2 and TSW when it comes to fetch and kill tasks. Standards have been raised and Trion failed to reach those standards.

I disagree that games have barely changed in last 10 years. Baisc prinicples are the same but that doesn't MMOS have not tried to improve on dated concepts.

Defiance has some good things about it (shooter mechanics and progression for instance) but when a game is being pulled down by boring missions, bugs, patcher and connectivity issues it is hard to ignore it while giving a final score.

Defiance is getting average of 5 to 6/10. Which means game isn't horribly bad but in its current state it is average and mediocre. How it will improve in future depend supon Trion.

I am defending his right to give his opinion...just like how you have the right to defend Trion and Defiance at every given step. I would rather back up the guy who is prudent and reasonable and can see the faults in the game than someone who has his blinders on and can never accept that Defiance actually has many flaws.

-Jesse Schell

-Luke McKinney

• MischiffMischiff Member Posts: 169

I couldnt wait for this game ... i like Rift and figure Defiance would be just as good ... i was wrong !

First, Rift had a small map i thought when it launched, but Defiance is more than just small , I guess i should have done more research because i thought there was two maps, one of  San Fran and one of St Louis or Defiance ..

There are NO CITIES in the game, i thought Defiance would be the city but nope, its not even in the game .. how are you suppose to feel connected to the TV SHOW if it takes place in St Louis and you only can play in San Fran ???????

Im more than disappointed with this game ... and i liked Tabula Rasa ...  IMHO it was a better game than this one is ...

what they consider MMO's now days, this should have been a single player game, and it doesnt even have the content that most single player games have ...  

• dead2soondead2soon Member Posts: 149

SWTOR - IGN gave them a 9.6 and of course the game was a massive flop

AoC - IGN gave it a 7.9 and of course the game was a massive flop

Aion - IGN gave it an 8.5 and of course the game was a massive flop

Fallen Earth - IGN gave it an 8.1 and of course the game was a massive flop

Looks like Trion didn't pay off the right people.

Originally posted by dead2soon

The above games were overscored! Sure! Like ALL their games (or any other reviewsite for that matter) are overscored!

Sorry, but all games you mention were way better than DEFIANCE! Even Fallen Earth, made by an Indie company (with just a fraction of the budget TRION has) blows DEFIANCE completely out of the water (despite all it's issues it had at launch). I still played that game for over 2 years and never got bored!

AION was more than a decent game! Just got overrun by bot trains. Which is sadly common with Asian made games. :-(

Both Age of Conan and SW:TOR still blow DEFANCE out of the water! Map size wise, content wise, feature wise and social wise!

• MargraveMargrave Member RarePosts: 1,362

It's well known that IGN reviews can be bought. I used to go there, but haven't in a LONG time. Don't agree with, nor trust, their reviews now.

I like the show a lot. It has great potential. Now to see what SyFy, still hate that spelling, does with it. As for the game, I really enjoy it. It's fun and that's the point of any game. I also love that there's NO MONTHLY. That always scores bonus points with me personally.

Is it for everyone? Of course not. Bottom line is there will never be a title that EVERYONE loves, and plays. It's impossible. There's a game out there for everyone, so you just have to keep searching until you find your personal gaming bliss.

Edit: spelling...

• jesteralwaysjesteralways Member RarePosts: 2,560
    guess they didn't get paid enough. 

Boobs are LIFE, Boobs are LOVE, Boobs are JUSTICE, Boobs are mankind's HOPES and DREAMS. People who complain about boobs have lost their humanity.

Originally posted by jesteralways
    guess they didn't get paid enough. 

Neither did Angry Joe...Eurogamer..gamespot... (add any critc/website here which didn't give Defiance 9/10)

-Jesse Schell

-Luke McKinney

• dead2soondead2soon Member Posts: 149
    Originally posted by JeroKane
    Originally posted by dead2soon

The above games were overscored! Sure! Like ALL their games (or any other reviewsite for that matter) are overscored!

Sorry, but all games you mention were way better than DEFIANCE! Even Fallen Earth, made by an Indie company (with just a fraction of the budget TRION has) blows DEFIANCE completely out of the water (despite all it's issues it had at launch). I still played that game for over 2 years and never got bored!

AION was more than a decent game! Just got overrun by bot trains. Which is sadly common with Asian made games. :-(

Both Age of Conan and SW:TOR still blow DEFANCE out of the water! Map size wise, content wise, feature wise and social wise!

We all know money talks. We all know money will buy you a better score. I'm not trying to say defiance is a great game because honestly I haven't played it. I do know that I trust these reviews as far as I can throw them. It's such a joke that stopped being funny quite a while ago.

• HatefullHatefull Member EpicPosts: 2,502
    Originally posted by VastoHorde

Looks like we got our review and honestly I think its a good review. If you people continue to support these poor excuses for mmos then thats all we are going to get.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/04/18/defiance-review-pc

I got the opportunity to Alpha and BETA test this game.  On both the PC and the Console version, and I have to say it is much easier/better to ME on the console.  The interface being the big deal there.  It is far more natural to navigate with a console.  

In any event, I found it fun and somewhat engaging however, I would concur with IGN's assessment of a mediocre offering.  Considering Trion had a hand in this it is a bit disapponting, not a  complete rubbish heap, not by a long shot, but far below what Trion is capable of producing.

I will not pay reatail price for it, when the price is reduced to 19.99 then I will pick it up, not before then though.

If you want a new idea, go read an old book.

In order to be insulted, I must first value your opinion.

• TokenaruTokenaru Member Posts: 58
    I would give it a chance though, Trion is a very competent and fast dev team and any issues will likely be worked out very quickly.  I am enjoying the game for what it is and looking forward to the first dlc.  Just between Beta and now the game has improved alot.  Does it need more content, yes but thats what the dlc's are for.  I think if they can fix the social aspects of the game IE friends list, and the chat as well as add some great group content consistently this game will do well.  The show is pretty neat, definatly better than Sharktopus? lawls?