Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is untargeted "smite" style combat possible in an mmorpg?

udinthrikudinthrik Member UncommonPosts: 73

I love the combat style in Smite. I also like that it shows range/cones of skills highlighted on the ground before you use them.

now that being said... would it be possible in an mmorpg? I don't know all the infastructiure restrictions of mmorpgs, But I imagine they would have to grid every landscape in the game. the ground is all flat in smite also.

is there anythign close?

Comments

• kjempffkjempff Member RarePosts: 1,759
    Check out Neverwinter when it launches late April. It has mouseover targeted combat system that is something in the direction of Smite. Check out some ingame videos, see if it looks like something for you.
  • AxehiltAxehilt Member RarePosts: 10,504

It's certainly possible.  Defiance is a full-fledged MMOFPS with free aiming (the Planetside series is another example, but PVP only.)

I suppose Tera is an even better example, as it's almost verbatim what you're asking for.

"What is truly revealing is his implication that believing something to be true is the same as it being true. [continue]" -John Oliver

• DanwarrDanwarr Member CommonPosts: 185
    Originally posted by udinthrik

I love the combat style in Smite. I also like that it shows range/cones of skills highlighted on the ground before you use them.

now that being said... would it be possible in an mmorpg? I don't know all the infastructiure restrictions of mmorpgs, But I imagine they would have to grid every landscape in the game. the ground is all flat in smite also.

is there anythign close?

Wildstar is doing something like this I believe

Waiting: CU, WildStar, Destiny, Eternal Crusade
    Playing: ESO,DCUO
    Played: LotRO,RIFT,ToR,Warhammer, Runescape

• araninaranin Member UncommonPosts: 23

darkfall Online has been doing this since 2009.