Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Age of Wushu: Understanding the Sandbox and Loving It Intro to Wushu Guide

SilentstormSilentstorm Member UncommonPosts: 1,126

Understanding the Sandbox and Loving It tutorial

This is a quick look to clear up some misunderstanings you could have in the beginning. Playing a game and understanding it are two different things. What I mean by this is you can easily play any game. And never even truly understand what exactly you should be doing in a game. Age of Wushu is a game that this is very evident in. Now is the game impossible? No it’s not it just takes a little bit more brain power then usually needed. Immediately probably 40% reading or watching this vid just left. Not that they can’t handle it just they have no patience for it.

If your still here great this is where I make the game a whole lot simpler for you. I’ll start by saying in this game you have no set parameter you need to be doing. You do have a set story path you can choose at the start of your character creation. But after that what you do in the game is totally up to you. If you want to be a beggar by career you can do that. If you want to be a bad ass assassin you can do that. Anything is inbounds in this game and the RP choices are limitless.

One of the major drawbacks to this game is translation and understanding what is currently in game. And mainly all the confusion lies in what to do with your stats. I’ll try and clear this up for you as best as I can. Below I will detail each stat and what it does and translate into.

Stats Breakdown

HP= is affected by Stamina and Brawn

Energy= Spirit and Breath helps this stat which is also your mana/EP

Flying= Nothing I know of besides some gear affects this

Vigor= directly effects your ability to trade skill in one day

Nutrition= you need to eat in this game. If you allow it to fall into zero you will end up dying from hunger. To stave this off use the market feature in the game. And seek out steamed buns, which is the cheapest food by far easily obtained.

Infamy= this is the I have been bad stat. Any bad guy act you do in this game raises it. If you get it high enough you can and will be jailed sooner or later. If you continue to be a problem you enter kill on sight status. And can even be publicaly executed.

Alcohol= Affects your tolerance to getting drunk. Which can help later on with certain skills.

Stats to look out for

Brawn= Effectively is your melee stat in a sense it also gives you more HP

Posture= Can be called your range damage stat.

Breath= Effects your inner skills and your energy stat

Spirit= Easily the most useful stat effects most magic in the game hit and crit. Magic users should pay close attention to this stat.

Stamina=  Effects your HP regen, critical resistance and max HP

Secondary Skills

Evade= Stat controls dodging and said to be directly effected by posture. But after a little research the exact numbers get a bit weird later in game. May not be working as intended yet.

Resilience= This stat is effected by stamina protects you against critical hits.

BlockRating= The amount of damage received while parrying. This goes for attacks that feint or dodge feint as well.

External Defense= Reduces damage from external attacks.

Trade skills

You have plenty option mining, music, tailoring to name a few. All of them actually help you in offline mode believe it or not. When you log off in this game you character continues on his way. Depending on what skills you have and where you are left in world. So if you log out at in an inn it’s a good chance if you have the skills you will be working at that inn. When you log back in you see what your character was doing. So the better skills you have the more likely you will be to have a good offline career.

The economy is player driven so always try to look for the swings in prices. Also remember this is an open pvp game anything goes any fight goes. So expect people to pick fights all the time. Also remember that every school is at war with each other. So the only friends you have are fellow school mates and guild buddies. If you see another class it’s a good chance he doesn’t like you in most cases. I won’t touch on combat right now it deserves its own video and break down. In my opinion this game is well made with plenty to do. So if you want an in depth game truly sand box like Eve Online this is for you. Just take the time to understand and learn it.

Comments

• MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196
    Even afther saying all that it comes down to 1 thing and 1 thing only. Are you enjoying your self while playing Age Of Wushu? For me the answer was no so it does not matter what all you can do or how different things are.
  • SilentstormSilentstorm Member UncommonPosts: 1,126
    That is true you do have to enjoy it and every game isn't meant for every person to like. I like games for what they are and this one is a sandbox in a martial arts backdrop. That alone is win you have to look for what makes you happy and roll with it.
    Originally posted by Silentstorm
    That is true you do have to enjoy it and every game isn't meant for every person to like. I like games for what they are and this one is a sandbox in a martial arts backdrop. That alone is win you have to look for what makes you happy and roll with it.

I respect that and wish you all the luck in Age Of Wushu.

It's all good I do reviews for almost everything maybe you'll enjoy the next game. Although I have to take a look at RO2 launch so maybe not......lol.
  • bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    Originally posted by VastoHorde

I wish you all the luck in Defiance.

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • CyclopsSlayerCyclopsSlayer Member UncommonPosts: 532

Still not entirely sure if I like Wushu or not, will give it a month or so first.

However, there are some clear things already;

- They really need someone who speaks other than Chinese to do the localization, some of the skills and quest dialogs are more reminiscent of Google translations, than of real localizations.

the Cash Shop is a ridiculous implementation.

- Bought some of their Zen/Gold for a VIP account, while PayPal was charged, they list the transaction as completed, 4 days later the 'Gold' is still pending.

- All purchases are monthly rentals, nothing is permanent, wether Mount, Bag space, appearance gear..

- VIP is not per account, but instead per character, and is not transferable. Also VIP status is basically essential if you are to be a competitive character. True they intend that players only play 1 character, but still.

The skills system is not for the casual or timid, and while I am coming to like it, the learning curve is very steep. Especially with the number of options and features figuring out what to use, when and why is NOT either simple or clear. Those that have played EvE, the skills are trained up in a similar fashion, certain amounts of real time needed as well as earning the cultivation points in game. VIP characters seem to get more Cultivation from their actions.

As to things to do, holy hell, I could make a list pages long and I am sure I wouldn't catch them all. Catch a criminal, explore a cave, craft, spy on other schools... so much it boggles the imagination.

• muffins89muffins89 Member UncommonPosts: 1,585
    i tried to like this game,  a couple times.  but,  i just couldnt get into it.  it was too.....oriental for me.  seems like a very in-depth game but i couldnt get past the setting for whatever reason.
    Originally posted by bcbully
    Originally posted by VastoHorde

I wish you all the luck in Defiance.

Defiance? I tried the game in beta and could only stand about 30 minutes of it before I uninstalled.

• AlamarethAlamareth Member UncommonPosts: 570

Whoa there OP - you might have just screwed up a LOT of players.  There's a lot of false info.

1) Nutrition at 0 doesn't cause you to die - you lose 25% of your max hp

The stats are a nightmare, please re-write:

2) Brawn= Effectively is your melee stat in a sense it also gives you more HP

WRONG.  Each skill set has different scaling on different stats.  Do not simply rely on the color of the stat, it isn't consistent across sets.  You are correct regarding HP, but it's extremely small.  Also, brawn is your critical hit rate for your EXTERNAL skills.

3) Posture= Can be called your range damage stat.

WRONG.  See above.  This is your external hit rate and all dodge rate.

4) Breath= Effects your inner skills and your energy stat

Mostly wrong.  It does some damage scaling on some internal skills.  However, if you want to take Lotus Palm as an example - brawn gives more damage.  There are very few combinations where this stat will actually do things.

5) Spirit= Easily the most useful stat effects most magic in the game hit and crit. Magic users should pay close attention to this stat.

Sorta right.  Spirit is your critical hit rate AND hit rate for INTERNAL skills.  It should also increase your internal regen, but that doesn't work currently.

6) Stamina=  Amount of blocking

WRONG.  It has zero to do with blocking.  It gives you resilience at one half the total stamina, which reduces the rate at which you recieve critical hits.  It also gives you HP.

7) Evade= Stat control dodging

This isn't a stat by itself, it's driven by Posture above.  Some skills/items can give temp boosts.

Originally posted by Alamareth

Whoa there OP - you might have just screwed up a LOT of players.  There's a lot of false info.

WRONG.  Each skill set has different scaling on different stats.  Do not simply rely on the color of the stat, it isn't consistent across sets.  You are correct regarding HP, but it's extremely small.  Also, brawn is your critical hit rate for your EXTERNAL skills.

Mostly wrong.  It does some damage scaling on some internal skills.  However, if you want to take Lotus Palm as an example - brawn gives more damage.  There are very few combinations where this stat will actually do things.

5) Spirit= Easily the most useful stat effects most magic in the game hit and crit. Magic users should pay close attention to this stat.

Sorta right.  Spirit is your critical hit rate AND hit rate for INTERNAL skills.  It should also increase your internal regen, but that doesn't work currently.

WRONG.  It has zero to do with blocking.  It gives you resilience at one half the total stamina, which reduces the rate at which you recieve critical hits.  It also gives you HP.

This isn't a stat by itself, it's driven by Posture above.  Some skills/items can give temp boosts.

bookmark. Thanks man. about to buy those double brawn pants i saw the other day! 

edit- maybe not... Made by "fengdai," he's like the Versaca of BlueDragon. You should see his spring time collection of jade and gold gear.

Actually it's not wrong I pointed people in the right direction. I just didn't give full information on it because the video be a hour long and no one would want to see that. All you did was extend on information I clearly said was a quick look. If you wanted to do that well you just did. But don't say someone is wrong because they didn't go in depth enough for you. When they clearly said they werent going to go that deep into it.

Some people I tell you.....

Don't continue to feed yourself and watch what happens.

Nope not wrong I just didn't put out external damage because I plan on explaining it later. Which I said in the video that I am giving combat it's own video. Because it's too large for over view video. If your going to correct people get all your info on the subject.

Nope again not wrong it does effect skills and ranged external skills along with hit and dodge. I don't think you went that far into the game and just reading this somewhere. May want to go study some more and come back.

Again I explained it more in the video then here. But to sum it up it does effect inner skills and energy. And once again it goes deeply into combat and choices. That is not what this is about right now just passing by info.

Again passing by info if you wanted a in depth guide why didn't you go find one? Instead of nick picking in depth on a summary?

This you are right on I totally didn't know i cut off the last 3 stats in office. That's a editing error on my part this one belongs in Block Rating. Fixing that error now good job you made ONE valid find goodone though.

In summary I'll say again if you wanted in depth you can make one yourself. But don't go looking for it in places clearly it's stated not to be

• wordizwordiz Member Posts: 464
    This game has sandbox elements, but it is not a sandbox.
  • AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    Originally posted by wordiz
    This game has sandbox elements, but it is not a sandbox.

While everyone has their own view of what is a sandbox i do agree for me this game is not really a sandbox in a sense... or perhaps a very "controlled sandbox".. you can't build your own towns, start your own schools, hell you can't even leave a school after you join one.. it has a lot of open elements and has a ton of options but all very controlled in a sense.. it's hard to describe but for me a sandbox is a world players can build and create to expand the world the devs created. An ever changing world controlled by players. Having a menu with set times of when you can take part in things like school wars and such is just controlled content and very themeparky... But then of course that's just how I view a sandbox there's no set definition so I'm not right or wrong just how I view these games and in this sense AoW let me down in many ways.. :(

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

If you didn't get the hint before. I'll you straight up say it you didn't review everything. Be quiet and go make your own post. If you want to explain things more in depth stop whining here. All you are doing is exactly that whining do it somewhere else. You seem to be the ONLY yes ONLY person in 7 websites this is posted on that think that. Eveyone else understands what I did and why. And gets what a summary is and why I stopped short on info. Apparently comprehension in all your skills is missing.

So yea I'm pretty much going to ignore you. It's even up on the main site no issues ,and people are contributing adding onto the post. So I mean you can continue to whine here about me not going to deep on things for you. But you will pretty much problably get a flaming warning and ignored by the rest of us.

• MadamefateMadamefate Member Posts: 171
    Can you steal any martial skill from any school?
    Originally posted by Madamefate
    Can you steal any martial skill from any school?

Yes.

• MadamefateMadamefate Member Posts: 171

Nice I thought they had a limit on what you can steal.

I'm going to follow storm's lead , and ignore the Ala guy somethings wrong with him. He won't stop we get it he wasn't in depth enough for you. No point in staying in a post you don't like other then to troll it. 

Well in order to be a real sand box technology has to progress further. You can't have a major open world environment. Because of the massive open world lag coming with it. Guild wars 2 tried and failed to do that. Because no server right now can handle it.
    Well in order to be a real sand box technology has to progress further. You can't have a major open world environment. Because of the massive open world lag coming with it. Guild wars 2 tried and failed to do that. Because no server right now can handle it.

sure you can.. SWG did it fine how many years ago? archage seems to be doing just fine with it as well.. as long as the engine is built and optimized for that it should work no problem.. the repopulation looks to be coming along nicely as well.. vanguard did it but the engine was just not optimized enough to play well(especially at the time of its release)

AoW has some HUGE areas but is still as zoned and instanced as they come which completely detracts from the open world sandbox feel for me

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

Doing it and being successful are two totally different things. SWG was a cult hit not a financial hit basically ever. It only made enough to sustain it with a little left over. Nowadays that no longer flies look at city of heroes for a example of that. As far as Archage it has plenty of lag and problems. More then likely cause it to adapt or end up cult hit status too. I'm not saying I'm against it, just saying technology just isn't there to handle it quite yet.

Sandbox is relative to how much can you control. You can control pretty much 90% of your playing experience. Just because you can't control the full 100% doesn't mean it's not a sand box. Trust me you wouldn't want a 100% sand box that is impossible to balance. In this day and age a game that tries that will die a horrible death in less then a year.

• rodingorodingo Member RarePosts: 2,870
    I would consider this game more of a Sandpark or Themebox.  Basically a sandbox game with a leash or a themepark game with freedom.  Yup, a hybrid.  Sure you don't have to quest, but not until you do the mandatory chapter 1 personal story and the school chain so you can get your second skill set.  After that though you make your own play schedule or path.  I have yet to log on to twiddle my thumbs in wondering what to do.  There are always people to kidnap, escorts to run, schools to spy on, etc..  Plus, since I'm in the biggest english speaking guild on my server, we have instantly been enemies of a mostly Viet alliance.  That right there keeps me busy with guild base attacking and defending, and overall open world fighting whenever we cross paths. Good times.

"If I offended you, you needed it" -Corey Taylor

• AresPLAresPL Member UncommonPosts: 292
    @Aerowyn You cant leave now, but in future You will be able to leave clan and make own style
    Originally posted by AresPL
    @Aerowyn You cant leave now, but in future You will be able to leave clan and make own style

that would definitely add more of a sandbox feel to that aspect of the game imho.. but overall game has way to many issues to warant me to put as much time as this game really needs to be put into it.. ill check back maybe in the summer and see how things have progressed

Yep today I was auto running to a quest. I happen to watch the backround of me running. Just in time to see 7 matching guild tangmen chasing me. I LOL'D so hard the entire 10 minutes it took them to catch me lol. Still managed to kill one of them before getting knockdown cheesed.
  • SaunZSaunZ Member UncommonPosts: 472

Sandbox seems to be measured by EVE Online.

Age of Wushu is WAY more sandbox than EVE.

Proof:  In AoW I can go into space.  In EVE I can't go to China.

Age of Wushu is a BLAST!

Sz

:o)