Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Tired of the "Story MMO" Fad yet? [poll]

13»

Comments

• WaidenWaiden Member UncommonPosts: 500

I hate heavy story driven mmos ...

I play mmorpgs so I can ''live'' in fantasy world and have my own avatar in there, what story driven mmorpgs do  ... they force me to have their character, not my own .. I would not like real life either if someone forced me to do exactly what was written even before I was born.

Old school grind mmorpg or sandbox mmorpg FTW !!!

• ariasaitchoariasaitcho Member UncommonPosts: 112

I've played one "old school" grinder, The 4th coming. Basically had no quests until end game, where you could rebirth to gain additional power. Other than that it was grind to reach end game. It was boring, nothing to drive you on other than reaching the next rebirth. And it was the same thing time after time, after time, after time.

Give me a storyline to follow. I don't need cutscenes that interrupt gameplay. I don't need crappy seyuu who couldn't act their way out of a wet paper bag, with cheesy lines that real actors would never be caught dead reading. Most modern games are a mix of the three choices, some mix better than others. Show me a game with no grind and I'll show you a game with a short shelf life. Show me a game with no story line and I'll show you a game that is too open ended for a majority of players to enjoy. Show me a pure grind game, and, considering the vitriol reserved for the Korean grinders, I'll show you a game with little hope of success in the west.

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    Originally posted by Arclan

Regarding story; if I want to experience someone else's story, I will read a book. I play MMOs to create my own story in virtual and dangerous worlds that are rich in history and lore. Which explains why I haven't played any MMOs in years.

I have never seen any players creating any stories, within the context of the lore, in a MMO. Having some loot drama, or someone come help you beat a boss is not a story. That is as much as a story as my brother walking by, seeing me playing a video game, and offering me some tips of how to beat the boss.

Very few even speaks in character.

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,737
    The story MMO came about because the players got too lazy to be the story anymore, so they had to have it told to them and be entertained instead of making their own entertainment.....
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,892
    though I really like the old style mmo's I have very much enjoyed all the story mmo's.
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • nbtscannbtscan Member UncommonPosts: 862

I started playing RPGs on console as a wee young lad.  I probably would have never even gotten into MMORPGs had I not picked up Final Fantasy XI.  I only got it BECAUSE it was a Final Fantasy title.  I was actually a little apprehensive about the whole online only thing, but it ended up being a good experience and I've been playing some MMORPG or another since then.

In short, for me personally, I feel there needs to be some kind of story leading you along.  I know some people like the sandbox experience and want to find things on their own, but I grew up with console games that had a clear path, and that's the style I prefer to play.

It seems to me this thread is taking a jab at SW:TOR or GW2 mostly.

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    Can't really vote because I like story driven MMO's as well as sandboxes, the problem is there aren't any sandboxes out there right now I want to play. Thankfully there are plenty of story driven MMo's to pick from to keep me occupied. Next up will be TSW.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    Originally posted by Theocritus
    The story MMO came about because the players got too lazy to be the story anymore, so they had to have it told to them and be entertained instead of making their own entertainment.....

MMOs are entertainment products .. of course they better be entertaining. If i want to make my own entertainment, i won't be playing a video game, will i?