Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Defiance gets 5.9 ( Mediocre ) from Ign.com

Comments

• AsheramAsheram Member EpicPosts: 5,071
    Originally posted by Leethe
    5 point whatever is not a bad review. It's in the middle which is exactly what defiance is TO ME. People need to realize what a 1 to 10 scale really means. If 5 is bad whats the point of 1, 2, 3 and 4?

Fixed that for you.

• OnomicOnomic Member Posts: 196
    Originally posted by Gravarg

I don't think people even listened to Trion when they got to the part at all these gaming events where they talk about "adding alot of content as the show progresses".  I've said this several times already, The game as it is right now is no the complete game.  It was never Trion's goal nor did they ever say it was going to release a complete game from the start....I just don't understand when someone tells you they're going to do something, then you expect something totally different lol.  Maybe I'm the only one in the entire world that's figured that out yet lol.

I was actually expecting alot of bad reviews, because idiots like the ones at IGN have no clue about the game they're covering.  Trion has a long list of plans for the game, and they'll be adding things as the show progresses.

No mmo is finishd, but we do judge em when they release. Not what it might be 2-3 years from now.

If its hugh 3 years from now, awsome. But it won't help me much atm.

This phrase is hype phrase "adding alot of content as the show progresses". The extra content we got on episode 1-2 was data records and achivments. Nothing to get excited about. 

They will add proper content down the road for sure, atleast i hope so. But im not excited after what they have shown already

• RanninRannin Member Posts: 9
    I got it on sale for ~30 bucks. It was worth that IMHO. Not even close to something I can play for hours on end though.
  • Whiplash931Whiplash931 Member Posts: 36

I was super stoked for this game before its release....had preordered and everything. Then the beta weekend happened, I was bored with 5-6 hours of playing. I got to like elo level 110-120 and just couldn't make myself play anymore. It isn't really an MMO the chat functions in the game are horrible and almost non existent. The guild/clan system is horrible as well. The entire time I played the only time I grouped up with anyone was for the one arkfall I did....which took forever and was rather un interesting IMO.

So I didn't play anymore for the rest of the beta weekend and didn't think twice about it, and even canceled my preorder. Now I have been playing MMO's since SWG launch and this is the first one that I have preordered and then canceled my preorder ( And I have played many many many MMO's City of Heroes, Age of Conan, Lineage 2, WoW, I can keep going on here.) and it is the first MMO game I have canceled my preorder on. 

The game seems to be made for console then ported to PC, maybe if I was a console gamer I would have had more fun. I'm sure some people think that Defiance is fun but I don't get into MMO's if there is no social aspect to the game.

• ImperMorteImperMorte Member Posts: 7
    Originally posted by deviltheory
    Should have waited for the reviews.  Paid 60 bux for it, played it for like a day, and could not get into it at all.  I don't care if you're trying to use MMORPG as an excuse, if you're gonna be a third person shooter, you sure as hell better get the mechanics right.  Otherwise just stick with tab targeting.  Not that my opinion matters any as they already have my money, so as far as they're concerned I support this game...

What mechanics aren't right?  No bullet drop?  No terrain locking (gears of war style)?

• GrayGhost79GrayGhost79 Member UncommonPosts: 4,775
    Originally posted by Aerowyn
    Originally posted by GrayGhost79
    Originally posted by Asheram
    Originally posted by zimike
    Odd, the game seems to be a lot of fun to me. To each his own I guess.

Lol yeah I agree with you, but I guess I better stop liking it because some site I dont care about gave it a bad review.

i agree personally people shouldn't care much if they are enjoying a game what any review site gives it.. issue is the big review sites like gamespot and Ign they do have a lot of influence on a good number of people buying games which will in turn effect future updates to this game.

No they don't lol. Reviews from those sites mean little these days as far as influencing sales. All they are used for now days is to support arguments that they favor. 

What effects sales the most now days is marketing followed closely by worth of mouth. Defiance is in a cushy spot as far as marketing and word of mouth go right now. Trion isn't to shaby in the marketing department, though they definitely aren't Activision. However they get a ton of advertising and marketing opportunities from NBC universal. 

As WoW has shown, the more exposure... the better you will do. 

The big review sites don't get seen by the vast majority of gamers now days. Theres simply little reason to even visit their site unless they are giving away free stuff like beta keys and what not. 

For every one gamer that has viewed one of the big review sites theres easily a hundred that wont. 

We are the primary audience for the big review sites as are other communities like ours and all of us combined are sorely outnumbered by the vast amount of gamers that don't belong to these type of communities. 

most everyone I know that isn't an avid forum goer uses sites like IGN to gauge what games they buy or don't buy. I highly doubt its just my groups of friends.. we as forum goers are by far the minority

I'm in a gaming circle of about 1200 and a poll done recently shows that over 80% (820ish votes) haven't used the reviews from sites like IGN. I'd link but I use my real name there since its a local thing where I use to live and no, most of them aren't traditional forum goers. 

Polls on this site seem to show that most don't rely on or base gaming purchases on the reviews either. 

Heres a funny one, go search on Xbox and Sony "forums" and such and see what they think of professional review sites like IGN lol. 

What sales games isn't review sites anymore. It's 1st Marketing and 2nd Word of mouth. What helps is that Demos and Betas generate a great deal of word of mouth and Demos and Betas themselves have become a part of marketing. Why check what a reviewer has to say when you can see for yourself for free or friends with similar interests as you are telling you to check it out or not. 

Edited to add: Traditional infront of forum goers

• GravargGravarg Member UncommonPosts: 3,424
    Originally posted by kikoodutroa8

I think there's enough demos/betas available nowadays for everyone to make his own opinion on a game.

The scores given by all these sites entirely reflect how much cash the publisher is giving to the reviewers with commercials.

QFT

IGN is known for thier bias in reviews.  If you buy alot of ad space from them, they'll give you a good review.  They're not the only site that does that either...that's why I never trust a review.  I've never trusted a review since one of the old gaming mags gave Zelda: A Link to the Past a bad review...I was like omg really?  That's like my 4th most favorite game of all time...behind the original Zelda, Zelda 64 and Zelda 64 3D lol

• aligada87aligada87 Member UncommonPosts: 234

Lol yeah I agree with you, but I guess I better stop liking it because some site I dont care about gave it a bad review.

i agree personally people shouldn't care much if they are enjoying a game what any review site gives it.. issue is the big review sites like gamespot and Ign they do have a lot of influence on a good number of people buying games which will in turn effect future updates to this game.

that goes both ways. let me ask you are you going to eat in a restaurant that has bad review or eat at a place where there is positive reviews. some including me likes to do research first before i make an instant grab. either way i tried the game out from cb, and i doubt much has changed from the last cb before launch. the game is fun but that is all there is to it, eventually it will die down because it will get old and people will run out of things to do. remember it doesn't take a gamer to finish a whole content in the game.  an example would be tera online. great combat but when it came down to lengevity, combat didn't retain the players long enough since there wasn't much to do. also arkfall shadow wars co ops and missions done repeatedly isnt considerd fun when u can solo MOST of the content of the game. 

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928

No they don't lol. Reviews from those sites mean little these days as far as influencing sales. All they are used for now days is to support arguments that they favor. 

What effects sales the most now days is marketing followed closely by worth of mouth. Defiance is in a cushy spot as far as marketing and word of mouth go right now. Trion isn't to shaby in the marketing department, though they definitely aren't Activision. However they get a ton of advertising and marketing opportunities from NBC universal. 

The big review sites don't get seen by the vast majority of gamers now days. Theres simply little reason to even visit their site unless they are giving away free stuff like beta keys and what not. 

For every one gamer that has viewed one of the big review sites theres easily a hundred that wont. 

We are the primary audience for the big review sites as are other communities like ours and all of us combined are sorely outnumbered by the vast amount of gamers that don't belong to these type of communities. 

most everyone I know that isn't an avid forum goer uses sites like IGN to gauge what games they buy or don't buy. I highly doubt its just my groups of friends.. we as forum goers are by far the minority

I'm in a gaming circle of about 1200 and a poll done recently shows that over 80% (820ish votes) haven't used the reviews from sites like IGN. I'd link but I use my real name there since its a local thing where I use to live and no, most of them aren't forum goers. 

Polls on this site seem to show that most don't rely on or base gaming purchases on the reviews either. 

Heres a funny one, go search on Xbox and Sony "forums" and such and see what they think of professional review sites like IGN lol. 

What sales games isn't review sites anymore. It's 1st Marketing and 2nd Word of mouth. 

again you are talking about internet forum goers.. polls.. forums.. still i'd say its a minority in terms of people who actually look at or care about reviews... of course no one on any forums likes big site reviews.. people on forums hate everything that's what the internet is for remember? My point is to the average joe gamer out there the reviews do matter and in my opinion do negatively effect a game. It especially hurts MMOs as they need that much more money to produce the content MMO gamers expect

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• ThornrageThornrage Member UncommonPosts: 659
    Originally posted by mysticalspam
    yhea.... i wanted to get this game but was waiting on the reviews... glad i waited, i wont spend money on anything with raiting lower than a 7.5

lol

I'm glad I dont wait on someone else to decide what games I play.

"I don't give a sh*t what other people say. I play what I like and I'll pay to do it too!" - SerialMMOist

• KrelianKrelian Member UncommonPosts: 385

Meh, to each to his own, I guess.

I actually like the game (lotsa vehicles and running over bugs, some very cool looking vanity armor, a decent choice of weapons, interesting storyline (for an mmo), a combat system that is somewhat  more engaging than just standing in front of an enemy and pressing 1-5 (basically) etc etc.

Now, what this game needs is more content, IMO (as the latest patch seems to have fixed lots of bugs according to my friends playing the game). But to be honest - personally; I have so little time to play games each day, I recon I won't be running of content anytime soon. Just my 2 cents.

I'm in a gaming circle of about 1200 and a poll done recently shows that over 80% (820ish votes) haven't used the reviews from sites like IGN. I'd link but I use my real name there since its a local thing where I use to live and no, most of them aren't forum goers. 

What sales games isn't review sites anymore. It's 1st Marketing and 2nd Word of mouth. 

again you are talking about internet forum goers.. polls.. forums.. still i'd say its a minority in terms of people who actually look at or care about reviews... of course no one on any forums likes big site reviews.. people on forums hate everything that's what the internet is for remember? My point is to the average joe gamer out there the reviews do matter and in my opinion do negatively effect a game. It especially hurts MMOs as they need that much more money to produce the content MMO gamers expect

Average gamer Joe doesn't even know sites like IGN exist. I mean you are making the assumption that average gamer joe that doesn't visit any gaming forums and gaming sites is going to go to a gaming site for a review. 

Where exactly are they going to see this IGN review? In PC Gamer (Cause I hear magizines are doing so well even gamestop is having a hard time pushing them onto people while offering them for free). 

Originally posted by Thornrage
    Originally posted by mysticalspam
    yhea.... i wanted to get this game but was waiting on the reviews... glad i waited, i wont spend money on anything with raiting lower than a 7.5

lol

I'm glad I do wait on someone else to decide what games I buy because waiting on reviews is much more smater then being a retard who waste money and then complains later on that the game was crap and they want their money back.

I think one of the main problems people have with this game is they're comparing it to "Real MMOs".  Defiance isn't really intended to be an MMO like WoW or EQ.  You're not going to get 60 levels of storyline, it's there but it's not the main part of the game.  The reviewer's first paragraph sums up the problem with his review.  Anyone who reviews games, especially something that's totally different, it's not going to be right.  The closest game to compare it to would be a game like Borderlands, a shooter.  

If you're going to compare games in a review you should at least pick games that are close to each other.  It's like saying I'm going to write a review on the original mariokart, but compare it to Skyrim...That's an extreme example, but the review for MarioKart would be totally false and would give it like a -99 out of a scale from 1 to 10 if it was compared to Skyrim lol.  MarioKart is one of the greatest games ever made, but when you compare it to games of a different generation and genre, they just don't match up.

• aionixaionix Member UncommonPosts: 288
    People actually still go to IGN for review scores? BAHAHAHA I thought we all learned how THEY operate.  Look at scores for ME3, SWTOR, and well any other mediocore or dissapointing EA game and see how high they score.  IGN is the fox news of gaming reviews and journalism.  Why would anyone go to that site is beyond me.

Average gamer Joe doesn't even know sites like IGN exist. I mean you are making the assumption that average gamer joe that doesn't visit any gaming forums and gaming sites is going to go to a gaming site for a review. 

Where exactly are they going to see this IGN review? In PC Gamer (Cause I hear magizines are doing so well even gamestop is having a hard time pushing them onto people while offering them for free). 

i dont really know anyone that hasn't heard of IGN or PC Gamer that's a gamer.. I know pretty much no one that knows mmorpg.com though.. IGN is a huge site and has a lot of influence in my experience.. i don't agree with a lot of their stuff but they do have pull from what I have seen.. which is also why a lot of big game companies try to put in a lot of face time with certain review sites...

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• ariestearieste Member UncommonPosts: 3,309

This is the same site that gave the steaming turd that is SWTOR a 9.0

Their credibility is like in the negatives i think.

Although tbh, Defiance is probably a 7 or 8 in terms of MMOFPS/TPS games.  It's not exactly a genre full of gems.  

"I’d rather work on something with great potential than on fulfilling a promise of mediocrity."

- Raph Koster

Tried: AO,EQ,EQ2,DAoC,SWG,AA,SB,HZ,CoX,PS,GA,TR,IV,GnH,EVE, PP,DnL,WAR,MxO,SWG,FE,VG,AoC,DDO,LoTRO,Rift,TOR,Aion,Tera,TSW,GW2,DCUO,CO,STO
    Favourites: AO,SWG,EVE,TR,LoTRO,TSW,EQ2, Firefall
    Currently Playing: ESO

I think one of the main problems people have with this game is they're comparing it to "Real MMOs".  Defiance isn't really intended to be an MMO like WoW or EQ.  You're not going to get 60 levels of storyline, it's there but it's not the main part of the game.  The reviewer's first paragraph sums up the problem with his review.  Anyone who reviews games, especially something that's totally different, it's not going to be right.  The closest game to compare it to would be a game like Borderlands, a shooter.  

If you're going to compare games in a review you should at least pick games that are close to each other.  It's like saying I'm going to write a review on the original mariokart, but compare it to Skyrim...That's an extreme example, but the review for MarioKart would be totally false and would give it like a -99 out of a scale from 1 to 10 if it was compared to Skyrim lol.  MarioKart is one of the greatest games ever made, but when you compare it to games of a different generation and genre, they just don't match up.

then they shouldnt even call it an mmo. they should call it solo online game

Originally posted by aligada87

yeah, it's more like a persistant world online shooter, kinda like how Bungie described Destiny.   Not to mention, he claims SWTOR was a great game...not in my review book.  Everyone has thier opinions, unfortunately people always think their's is the only opinion.

Originally posted by aligada87

yeah, it's more like a persistant world online shooter, kinda like how Bungie described Destiny.   Not to mention, he claims SWTOR was a great game...not in my review book.  Everyone has thier opinions, unfortunately people always think their's is the only opinion.

tbh i just feel like the game was to rushed.  i mean they couldve done so much more with the game and since the show is great, it kinda saddens me that the game is meh. but ima still wait a little longer to see what the show can offer the game. maybe there are locked towns that we cant enter until it opens up in the show or maybe there is a crafting system. either way ill wait until the show is a little further down the road to fully decide if i will spend money on the game

i dont really know anyone that hasn't heard of IGN or PC Gamer that's a gamer.. know pretty much no one that knows mmorpg.com though.. IGN is a huge site and has a lot of influence in my experience.. i don't agree with a lot of their stuff but they do have pull from what I have seen.. which is also why a lot of big game companies try to put in a lot of face time with certain review sites...

In my experience when gaming was a niche hobby, yes the big review sites had a lot of pull. Once gaming burst open into a mainstream thing that pretty much changed everything. The only ones that really see or take note of the big review sites are the enthusiasts. Its the same as with tech sites. Your average consumer or gamer just doesn't get into these things enough to bother. A well placed poster, commercial, or a good or bad word from a friend, family memeber, or coworker has a great deal more influence on your average gamer. 

Yes, many developers and publishers are stuck in the past and still do their best to get as much face time on those sites as possible. It certainly hasn't seemed to be doing them any good lately considering all the flops. Blizzard and Activision know better which is why they found other ways like having WoW come preinstalled on your PC, storming social media, lots and lots and lots of commercials. Look at how much time Blizzard and activision put into those sites now days. Its barely a fraction of what it use to be and its because it doesn't yield the type of results it once did. Count the number of commercials for CoD and WoW, check out the posters and ad placements at places like Gamestop and Bestbuy, how many friends in the past two months have talked about CoD or WoW? 

A youtube vid gone viral has more influence on a gamers purchase decision than a review from a site like IGN. 

Welcome to 2013.

• mmoguy43mmoguy43 Member UncommonPosts: 2,770
    That is a bit low. I'd think they would give it a 6.4 or close. But I agree, that in the first 10-20 hours of play it is worse in quality compared to games like Global Agenda(8.4) or APB (7.6). Also, in limited time frames, it makes sense that MMORPGs like SWTOR can recieve an 9+ before realising how limited the game is.
    Originally posted by mmoguy43
    That is a bit low. I'd think they would give it a 6.4 or close. But I agree, that in the first 10-20 hours of play it is worse in quality compared to games like Global Agenda(8.4) or APB (7.6). Also, in limited time frames, it makes sense that MMORPGs like SWTOR can recieve an 9+ before realising how limited the game is.

ya but even then swtor as bad as it is now there is still more contents to play with compared to defiance.

• leoo88556leoo88556 Member Posts: 135
    Originally posted by Leethe
    5 point whatever is not a bad review. It's in the middle which is exactly what defiance is. People need to realize what a 1 to 10 scale really means. If 5 is bad whats the point of 1, 2, 3 and 4?

i think the issue is the over-inflated scores we have seen over the past years on many games.. how swtor got a 9.0 is beyond me but again it's just one persons opinion... although in the case of sites like IGN that one opinion can hold a decent amount of weight

This "scale from 1 to 10" thing is so weird. It's like grading physics and history with the same scale.

SWTOR is a MMORPG and comparing to WoW, Rift, GW2 and the upcoming Wildstar, the game is just a down right 7 at best. On the other hand, Defiance is a shooter first MMO that have open world PvP/PvE, comparing to... well the closest thing is Firefall and it's actually quite different even. I wonder how did they decide to give Defiance such an strange number, "5.9"? What does the score mean and what's the reference in this empty new genre?

Again, grading products in such a varied industry with the 1-10 system is plain ignrotant and imo critics should just stick to the pros and cons of a game and not trying to get "analytical" in a hilarious fashion.

i dont really know anyone that hasn't heard of IGN or PC Gamer that's a gamer.. know pretty much no one that knows mmorpg.com though.. IGN is a huge site and has a lot of influence in my experience.. i don't agree with a lot of their stuff but they do have pull from what I have seen.. which is also why a lot of big game companies try to put in a lot of face time with certain review sites...

In my experience when gaming was a niche hobby, yes the big review sites had a lot of pull. Once gaming burst open into a mainstream thing that pretty much changed everything. The only ones that really see or take note of the big review sites are the enthusiasts. Its the same as with tech sites. Your average consumer or gamer just doesn't get into these things enough to bother. A well placed poster, commercial, or a good or bad word from a friend, family memeber, or coworker has a great deal more influence on your average gamer. 

Yes, many developers and publishers are stuck in the past and still do their best to get as much face time on those sites as possible. It certainly hasn't seemed to be doing them any good lately considering all the flops. Blizzard and Activision know better which is why they found other ways like having WoW come preinstalled on your PC, storming social media, lots and lots and lots of commercials. Look at how much time Blizzard and activision put into those sites now days. Its barely a fraction of what it use to be and its because it doesn't yield the type of results it once did. Count the number of commercials for CoD and WoW, check out the posters and ad placements at places like Gamestop and Bestbuy, how many friends in the past two months have talked about CoD or WoW? 

A youtube vid gone viral has more influence on a gamers purchase decision than a review from a site like IGN. 

Welcome to 2013.

if say a average gamer sees a poster of some game or commerical and says oh that's interesting maybe I want to find out some info on it.. what's the easiest place to go to get a general concensous? metacritic.. the 62 defiance is getting i don't think will help this game out much. hell i use metacritic for single player games all the time as I really don't have time to play them usually let alone research them.. but if a game is generally universally praised by fans and review sites I generally will give it a whirl.. And for me it usually pans out.. last two single player games I played were tomb raider and Bioshock Infinite both I felt excellent games overall.