Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

CU, CSE, and what it means to me.

MkilbrideMkilbride Member UncommonPosts: 643

I'm sorry, but I don't want to be a preacher that's not my business. I don't want to be a fan boy or convince anyone. I should like to help everyone if possible, Casual, Hardcore, Fanboy, Hater. We all want to help one another, gamers are like that. We all want to live by each other's happiness, not by each other's misery. We don't want to hate and despise one another. In this Internet there is room for everyone and the gaming world is rich and can provide for everyone.

The way of MMORPG's can be free and beautiful. But we have lost the way.

Greed has poisoned men's souls, has barricaded the world with hate; has goose-stepped us into themeparks and hand holding.

We have developed solo content, but we have shut ourselves in;
MMORPG's that gives abundance has left us in want.
Our knowledge has made us cynical,
our cleverness hard and unkind.
We think too much and feel too little.
More than themepark's we need sandbox,
more than phat lewtz we need community and team work.

Without these qualities MMORPG's will be boring and all fun will be lost.

The Internet and VOIP have brought us closer together. The very nature of these inventions cries out for the goodness in gamers, cries out for universal brotherhood for the unity of us all. Even now my message is reaching millions throughout the world, millions of despairing men, women and little children, victims of a industry that makes men flame and troll innocents. To those who can hear me I say: do not despair.

The misery that is now upon us is but the passing of greed, the bitterness of men who fear the way of gaming progress. The hate of hipsters will pass and trolls will die, and the power they took from the people will return to the people and so long as gamers continue to try, liberty will never perish.

Gamers: don't give yourselves to publishers, men who despise you and enslave you, who regiment your lives, tell you what to do, what to think and what to feel, who drill you, diet you, treat you as cattle, as money!

Don't give yourselves to these unnatural men,
machine men, with machine minds and machine hearts.
You are not machines!
You are not cattle!
You are gamers!!
You have the love of gaming in your hearts.
You don't hate, only the unloved hate.
The unloved and the unnatural.
Gamers: don't fight for slavery, fight for originality!

In the seventeenth chapter of Saint Gaben it is written:
- "The kingdom of God is within gamers."
Not one game, nor a group of gamers, but in all gamers: in you!

You the people have the power, the power to create great games, the power to create happiness. You the people have the power to make this industry free and beautiful, to make this industry a wonderful adventure.
Then, in the name of good games, let us use that power, let us all unite!
Let us fight for a new industry, a decent industry that will give gamers a chance to have different games, that will give you the future and old age and security.
By the promise of these things, publishers has risen to power, but they lie. They do not fulfil their promise, they never will. Publishers free themselves but they enslave the developer.
Now let us fight to fulfil that promise. Let us fight to free the world, to do away with generic games, to do away with greed, with hate and intolerance. Let us fight for a world of reason, a world where games progress, and will lead to all gamer's happiness.

Gamers! In the name of originality: let us all unite!

Help get Camelot Unchained made, a old-school MMORPG, with no hand holding!

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/13861848/camelot-unchained

Comments

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    not sure if you watched the livestream that just ended but I watched the entire thing.. probably best livestream of a dev just talking I have ever seen..  me personally was never a big DAOC player or fan and hated warhammer but he has really impressed me with his interviews during these livestreams

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• RanninRannin Member Posts: 9
    Sorry but I don't think CU is gonna make its KS goal. 
  • MkilbrideMkilbride Member UncommonPosts: 643

It will.

It is not a question of will it make it's goal, it's "Will it double it's goal?" probably not at this point.

But it will hit. I do not have a single doubt in my mind. There are plans in place, and events in motion in case things get grim.

Yes, I watched the Livestream. It was awesome.

• LaeeshLaeesh Member UncommonPosts: 95
    it´s 5 o´clock in the morning (germany) and i watched both streams. Both were amazing =)

• DanwarrDanwarr Member CommonPosts: 185
    Originally posted by Mkilbride

It will.

It is not a question of will it make it's goal, it's "Will it double it's goal?" probably not at this point.

But it will hit. I do not have a single doubt in my mind. There are plans in place, and events in motion in case things get grim.

Yes, I watched the Livestream. It was awesome.

Where are these plans being made? Not that I doubt you or anything more just of curiosity thing.

I also heard there was an issue with European supporters not being able to pledge? Is this true?

Waiting: CU, WildStar, Destiny, Eternal Crusade
    Playing: ESO,DCUO
    Played: LotRO,RIFT,ToR,Warhammer, Runescape

People who have CC's in the EU can use KS.

But not all EU people have CC's, notably Germany is very adverse to CC's...they have them, but most Germans do not use CC's.  While we do have EU backers on it, a great majority can't because of no CC or they don't want to use Amazon.

Once a KS funds, Paypal opens up, as with all other KS, this usually involves a few hundred thousand off the bat for those who WANTED to pledge, but could not.

• RanninRannin Member Posts: 9

I honestly hope it does reach its goals. The idea sounds great but I'm not sure i have much faith in the whole KS idea yet... I admire the faith you have that it will reach its goals.

People who have CC's in the EU can use KS.

But not all EU people have CC's, notably Germany is very adverse to CC's...they have them, but most Germans do not use CC's.  While we do have EU backers on it, a great majority can't because of no CC or they don't want to use Amazon.

Once a KS funds, Paypal opens up, as with all other KS, this usually involves a few hundred thousand off the bat for those who WANTED to pledge, but could not.

The issue being exchange rates and Pay-pal I assume?

I guess.

Europe loves Paypal. I don't know why, but they do, while the US pretty much hates it, unless you're to young to have a CC. Paypal is cheaper in Europe, I guess, less fees and taxes.

So yeah, as long as we hit 2M, pledges can still come in via Paypal for an unknown period of time. Hopefully for at least 3-6 months, to really get the monies up there.

• LaeeshLaeesh Member UncommonPosts: 95
    i am one of those european´s who needed to organize a CC to pledge. There´s a lot of talk about that paypal thing and i always have to explain that paypal will be available when CU hits 2. mio. not any earlier. (KS holds it that way)

• supergfunksupergfunk Member UncommonPosts: 95
    Both Streams were nothing short of amazing and I for one am counting the minutes until the next big reveal and progress report....That team has the potential to change alot of typical negative thinking in the genre and I for one am going to stand w/ that regardless if it funds or not.

• ZinzanZinzan Member UncommonPosts: 1,351
    Originally posted by Rannin

That's not the problem, the goalposts have been moved, if they fail to hit this stretch goals expect a lot of disgruntled backers.

No Depths.....that would be a bitter pill to swallow.

Expresso gave me a Hearthstone beta key.....I'm so happy :)

• MikeJezZMikeJezZ Member UncommonPosts: 1,267

I fear this too.

And I'm sad about it.

• meddyckmeddyck Member UncommonPosts: 1,282
    Originally posted by Zinzan

That's not the problem, the goalposts have been moved, if they fail to hit this stretch goals expect a lot of disgruntled backers.

Yeah way too much effort and salesmanship is going into The Depths. If it's that important, make it part of the base game and move something else to a stretch goal.

DAOC Live (inactive): R11 Cleric R11 Druid R11 Minstrel R9 Eldritch R6 Sorc R6 Scout R6 Healer

• SmudgePudgeSmudgePudge Member CommonPosts: 78

You guys should go look at some other video game Kickstarter projects that have funded. Stretch goals are almost always hit AFTER the project funds because of the reason already discussed in this thread - PayPal opens up. The European market comes in full force then, people who don't have or use credit cards come in, you actually get a huge boost after the game funds because of this.

I've actually talked to a surprising amount of people who are waiting to be able to use their PayPal account. I'm not sure if this is the new credit card for some of the younger people out there or what.

• TaldierTaldier Member CommonPosts: 235
    Originally posted by meddyck

Yeah way too much effort and salesmanship is going into The Depths. If it's that important, make it part of the base game and move something else to a stretch goal.

Even if they end up not making the stretch goal, the content is still going to end up in the game.  Not making the goal would just mean they couldnt guarantee the content would be in at launch.  But they'll still be adding that content in eventually.  Its a subscription game, they arent just going to release it and never touch it again.

Sure, maybe the MMO tourists that only stick around for a few months will be dissapointed, but they'd be moving on to something else anyway.

• ZinzanZinzan Member UncommonPosts: 1,351
    Originally posted by SmudgePudge

You guys should go look at some other video game Kickstarter projects that have funded. Stretch goals are almost always hit AFTER the project funds because of the reason already discussed in this thread - PayPal opens up. The European market comes in full force then, people who don't have or use credit cards come in, you actually get a huge boost after the game funds because of this.

I've actually talked to a surprising amount of people who are waiting to be able to use their PayPal account. I'm not sure if this is the new credit card for some of the younger people out there or what.

I have participated and indeed am participating in several KS funded projects and this was not the case in any of those.

You do realise that we do have credit cards in Europe, right?

Expresso gave me a Hearthstone beta key.....I'm so happy :)

I have participated and indeed am participating in several KS funded projects and this was not the case in any of those.

Yes, but living in Europe, you surely realize there are many countries, no? And while many have access to CC"s, many do not like them, and prefer paypal.

• SmudgePudgeSmudgePudge Member CommonPosts: 78

Both Torment and Shroud of the Avatar hit stretch goals after funding. When the CU KS first launched I spent awhile going through other KS projects and it was not uncommon to hit stretch goals after funding.

No, no one here knew you had credit cards in Europe. That's why we were talking about it... lol. Obviously there is something that makes it hard to pledge to a Kickstarter project if you are in Europe. I would be interested in hearing how you pledged because I have not heard exactly what the reason/problem is.

• TaldierTaldier Member CommonPosts: 235

Certain countries do not heavily use credit cards because they generally use other payment methods instead.  Germany is the most common example.

• zorthekzorthek Member Posts: 5

You can have a creditcard in Germany without problems... but you don´t need one. We have a simpler form of a electronic cash card.

As for PayPal... its a secure way to buy things on Ebay, so you can get your money back without problems, if someone tries to exploit you.

• strangiato2112strangiato2112 Member CommonPosts: 1,538

I'm sorry, but I don't want to be a preacher that's not my business. I don't want to be a fan boy or convince anyone. I should like to help everyone if possible, Casual, Hardcore, Fanboy, Hater. We all want to help one another, gamers are like that. We all want to live by each other's happiness, not by each other's misery. We don't want to hate and despise one another. In this Internet there is room for everyone and the gaming world is rich and can provide for everyone.

Greed has poisoned men's souls, has barricaded the world with hate; has goose-stepped us into themeparks and hand holding.

The Internet and VOIP have brought us closer together. The very nature of these inventions cries out for the goodness in gamers, cries out for universal brotherhood for the unity of us all. Even now my message is reaching millions throughout the world, millions of despairing men, women and little children, victims of a industry that makes men flame and troll innocents. To those who can hear me I say: do not despair.

The misery that is now upon us is but the passing of greed, the bitterness of men who fear the way of gaming progress. The hate of hipsters will pass and trolls will die, and the power they took from the people will return to the people and so long as gamers continue to try, liberty will never perish.

Gamers: don't give yourselves to publishers, men who despise you and enslave you, who regiment your lives, tell you what to do, what to think and what to feel, who drill you, diet you, treat you as cattle, as money!

You are not machines!
    You are not cattle!
    You are gamers!!

You the people have the power, the power to create great games, the power to create happiness. You the people have the power to make this industry free and beautiful, to make this industry a wonderful adventure.
    Let us fight for a new industry, a decent industry that will give gamers a chance to have different games, that will give you the future and old age and security.
    By the promise of these things, publishers has risen to power, but they lie. They do not fulfil their promise, they never will. Publishers free themselves but they enslave the developer.
    Now let us fight to fulfil that promise. Let us fight to free the world, to do away with generic games, to do away with greed, with hate and intolerance. Let us fight for a world of reason, a world where games progress, and will lead to all gamer's happiness.

What does any of this have to do with Camelot Unchained?

Mark Jacobs is simply using Kickstarter as a means to acquire cheap capital.  He could have gotten the money elsewhere without going to a publisher or to someone who would have had control over the project, but he chose a route that takes more effort but will save him tons of money in the long run.  This is all about profit maximization.

The 'people' arent creating squat.

Originally posted by strangiato2112

You are not machines!
    You are not cattle!
    You are gamers!!

Mark Jacobs is simply using Kickstarter as a means to acquire cheap capital.  He could have gotten the money elsewhere without going to a publisher or to someone who would have had control over the project, but he chose a route that takes more effort but will save him tons of money in the long run.  This is all about profit maximization.

You do realize that Mark is putting in 2M of his own private funds and already has 1M from other private investors?

• strangiato2112strangiato2112 Member CommonPosts: 1,538
    Originally posted by Danwarr
    long, pointless op

You do realize that Mark is putting in 2M of his own private funds and already has 1M from other private investors?

And had he asked for 5 million kickstarter people would have laughed in his face.  He is not a stupid man.

• EllyaEllya Member Posts: 99
    Originally posted by Danwarr
    long, pointless op

And had he asked for 5 million kickstarter people would have laughed in his face.  He is not a stupid man.

AND, he had already been to venture capitalists who turned him down as the game was too "niche".  (I could quote where he says that, but he talks a lot and I'd have trouble finding it in all his quotes, but he definitely said it )

He was left with only two choices, if he wanted to maintain creative control of the game.

Use his own money , with the knowledge that the business fraternity thought there was not enough interest.

Or go to KS, and see if the interest was there before he put in his own cash.

What would you do? :)