Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Defiance gets 5.9 ( Mediocre ) from Ign.com

MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196

Looks like we got our review and honestly I think its a good review. If you people continue to support these poor excuses for mmos then thats all we are going to get.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/04/18/defiance-review-pc

Comments

• ThomasN7ThomasN7 87.18.7.148Member CommonPosts: 6,690
    As many have been saying the game is average at best. The show is more interesting than the mmo.
  • AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    from a review site that overscores most all games and especially MMOs this was pretty surprising

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• Dreamo84Dreamo84 Member UncommonPosts: 3,713
    k

• DaxamarDaxamar Member UncommonPosts: 593
    You people? LOL!
  • mysticalspammysticalspam Member Posts: 64
    yhea.... i wanted to get this game but was waiting on the reviews... glad i waited, i wont spend money on anything with raiting lower than a 7.5

• birdycephonbirdycephon Member UncommonPosts: 1,314

Yeah I'm not surprised.

I mean, if a SyFy show is better than the game, that should tell you something.

• zimikezimike Member UncommonPosts: 160
    Odd, the game seems to be a lot of fun to me. To each his own I guess.
  • leoo88556leoo88556 Member Posts: 135
    Yeah this one is oddly decent and quite spot on... IGN's reviews are always so biased and money driven, but well...
  • mysticalspammysticalspam Member Posts: 64

it got a 6.5 over at gamespot

http://www.gamespot.com/defiance/platform/pc/

• AsheramAsheram Member EpicPosts: 5,071
    Originally posted by zimike

Lol yeah I agree with you, but I guess I better stop liking it because some site I dont care about gave it a bad review.

• OnomicOnomic Member Posts: 196

Pretty accurate score, i like this game as im a fan of shooter games. But the game has so many issues its among the worst mmorpg launches i have been in.

Server stability is one thing and expected, but semi broken game i do not expect on a new release.

• BrownAleBrownAle Member Posts: 399

I expected worse after seeing that ign video about the game.  Seems they never really liked the game from the start.

Agree with the OP, this is a horrible mmorpg. 

Great shooter though, still enjoying the game for what it is, thought the show was better than i expected so that really adds to it all, at least for me.

Certainly dont reccomend this game to anyone looking for a mmorpg, never have.  Shame its on this site, i feel it led a lot of people to assume (along with Trions name being on it) that this was going to be rift with guns.

For me it was a much better buy than a single player shooter, much better than Firefall was prior to it getting wrecked at least, and has good combat unlike Fallen Earth.  Rest of its competion are lobby based games or pvp only like PS2.  Happy with my purchase and its only going to get better.

Originally posted by Asheram

Lol yeah I agree with you, but I guess I better stop liking it because some site I dont care about gave it a bad review.

i agree personally people shouldn't care much if they are enjoying a game what any review site gives it.. issue is the big review sites like gamespot and Ign they do have a lot of influence on a good number of people buying games which will in turn effect future updates to this game.

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• GrayGhost79GrayGhost79 Member UncommonPosts: 4,775
    Originally posted by VastoHorde

Looks like we got our review and honestly I think its a good review. If you people continue to support these poor excuses for mmos then thats all we are going to get.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/04/18/defiance-review-pc

This poor excuse for an MMO has already given me more entertainment and enjoyment than the following MMOs combined... 

SWTOR - IGN gave them a 9.6 and of course the game was a massive flop

AoC - IGN gave it a 7.9 and of course the game was a massive flop

Aion - IGN gave it an 8.5 and of course the game was a massive flop

Fallen Earth - IGN gave it an 8.1 and of course the game was a massive flop

I'll gladly continue to support a poor excuse for an MMO that I enjoy rather than the "True" MMOs out there that I find boring as hell. 

Currently I play APB, Rift, GW2, Defiance and PS2. There are some games like WoW and EVE that simply aren't my cup of tea but most like TERA and FFXIV simply aren't worth my time. 

• DamediusDamedius Member Posts: 346

You mean the same IGN that gave Bioshock Infinite a 9.5/10?

I'll take whatever they have to say with a grain of salt.

My time played for Bioshock Infinite is 5 hours.

My time played for Defiance is 120+ hours.

• ImperMorteImperMorte Member Posts: 7

People always look at the negatives...  The game itself is exactly what they said it would be.  Many aspects of the review from IGN are also a little sad from a reviewer.

"Decent story missions and well-designed dungeons are too few and far between"=  less than 20% of the planned content for the game is available at release.  You can access Co-ops or "Dungeons" at anytime anywhere via the queue.

"punctuated by polish issues in the form of a poor mouse-and-keyboard UI, occasional broken quests, and crash bugs"

Trion not only said the UI was not designed for PCs but plans on changing the PC layout.  Finished every quest in the game w/o a broken quest.  And obviously this reviewer didnt play WoW on release if he thinks Defiance has alot of bugs.  Haven't crashed in the game once. 

"Defiance's substitute for the traditional leveling system, and though its numbers go into the thousands instead of capping at the usual 50 or 60, it bothered me that I never felt substantially more powerful as I progressed. I might unlock a new perk to put into a loadout, which changes up minor stats, but I could only ever equip one of Defiance’s four active powers at a time, and the earliest enemies were still potentially lethal. (Or they would be, if the AI weren't terrible.)"

Start at ego level 10...Cap is rumored to be 5000.   He disliked the game because the leveling system is not a wow clone.  Weapon damage nor "POWER" scale with ego level welcome to defiance. 

Honestly Trion is having one of the best planned releases of any MMO.  Think the longest single downtime planned or unplanned  was 3 hours in the first 2 weeks.  No other MMO has been this stable at release, or had this much hotfix/patching.

• LeetheLeethe Member UncommonPosts: 893
    5 point whatever is not a bad review. It's in the middle which is exactly what defiance is. People need to realize what a 1 to 10 scale really means. If 5 is bad whats the point of 1, 2, 3 and 4?

There is NO miracle patch.

95% of what you see in beta won't change by launch.

Hope is not a stategy.

• GrayGhost79GrayGhost79 Member UncommonPosts: 4,775
    Originally posted by Aerowyn

i agree personally people shouldn't care much if they are enjoying a game what any review site gives it.. issue is the big review sites like gamespot and Ign they do have a lot of influence on a good number of people buying games which will in turn effect future updates to this game.

No they don't lol. Reviews from those sites mean little these days as far as influencing sales. All they are used for now days is to support arguments that they favor. 

What effects sales the most now days is marketing followed closely by worth of mouth. Defiance is in a cushy spot as far as marketing and word of mouth go right now. Trion isn't to shaby in the marketing department, though they definitely aren't Activision. However they get a ton of advertising and marketing opportunities from NBC universal. 

As WoW has shown, the more exposure... the better you will do. 

The big review sites don't get seen by the vast majority of gamers now days. Theres simply little reason to even visit their site unless they are giving away free stuff like beta keys and what not. 

For every one gamer that has viewed one of the big review sites theres easily a hundred that wont. 

We are the primary audience for the big review sites as are other communities like ours and all of us combined are sorely outnumbered by the vast amount of gamers that don't belong to these type of communities. 

Originally posted by Leethe
    5 point whatever is not a bad review. It's in the middle which is exactly what defiance is. People need to realize what a 1 to 10 scale really means. If 5 is bad whats the point of 1, 2, 3 and 4?

i think the issue is the over-inflated scores we have seen over the past years on many games.. how swtor got a 9.0 is beyond me but again it's just one persons opinion... although in the case of sites like IGN that one opinion can hold a decent amount of weight

• redcappredcapp Member Posts: 722

I mean, I agree the game is mediocre at best. 

But IGN?  The only conclusion I can draw from this is that Trion didn't pay 'em quite enough, lol.

• StonesDKStonesDK Member UncommonPosts: 1,805
    I never knew I was suppose to dislike a game I enjoy playing, because some site said it was bad. I better hurry out and buy one of their "recommended" games that will only last me a few hours tops.
    Originally posted by GrayGhost79
    Originally posted by Aerowyn

No they don't lol. Reviews from those sites mean little these days as far as influencing sales. All they are used for now days is to support arguments that they favor. 

What effects sales the most now days is marketing followed closely by worth of mouth. Defiance is in a cushy spot as far as marketing and word of mouth go right now. Trion isn't to shaby in the marketing department, though they definitely aren't Activision. However they get a ton of advertising and marketing opportunities from NBC universal. 

As WoW has shown, the more exposure... the better you will do. 

The big review sites don't get seen by the vast majority of gamers now days. Theres simply little reason to even visit their site unless they are giving away free stuff like beta keys and what not. 

For every one gamer that has viewed one of the big review sites theres easily a hundred that wont. 

We are the primary audience for the big review sites as are other communities like ours and all of us combined are sorely outnumbered by the vast amount of gamers that don't belong to these type of communities. 

most everyone I know that isn't an avid forum goer uses sites like IGN to gauge what games they buy or don't buy. I highly doubt its just my groups of friends.. we as forum goers are by far the minority

• GravargGravarg Member UncommonPosts: 3,424

I don't think people even listened to Trion when they got to the part at all these gaming events where they talk about "adding alot of content as the show progresses".  I've said this several times already, The game as it is right now is no the complete game.  It was never Trion's goal nor did they ever say it was going to release a complete game from the start....I just don't understand when someone tells you they're going to do something, then you expect something totally different lol.  Maybe I'm the only one in the entire world that's figured that out yet lol.

I was actually expecting alot of bad reviews, because idiots like the ones at IGN have no clue about the game they're covering.  Trion has a long list of plans for the game, and they'll be adding things as the show progresses.

Edit: And most people just need to take a chill pill on all thier reviews.  It seems like they find one minor bug, like a quest has a mispelt word or something, and blow it way out of proportion.  "That word in that quest text totally ruined my immersion and experience!" 1/10 rating for you!   It's funny, most people thought Skyrim was awesome, and it had more bugs than Defiance, but everyone was laughing at their bugs....Flying horses anyone? XD

Edit2:  The game isn't perfect, but it's still fun.  I haven't logged into any other game except for raid night on Rift, and concert night in lotro since the game's launched...I really couldn't careless what anyone reviews the game at, it's alot of fun, that's all that really counts in my book :)

• deviltheorydeviltheory Member Posts: 33
    Should have waited for the reviews.  Paid 60 bux for it, played it for like a day, and could not get into it at all.  I don't care if you're trying to use MMORPG as an excuse, if you're gonna be a third person shooter, you sure as hell better get the mechanics right.  Otherwise just stick with tab targeting.  Not that my opinion matters any as they already have my money, so as far as they're concerned I support this game...
  • kikoodutroa8kikoodutroa8 Member RarePosts: 565

I think there's enough demos/betas available nowadays for everyone to make his own opinion on a game.

The scores given by all these sites entirely reflect how much cash the publisher is giving to the reviewers with commercials.