Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

This is sad to admit...

RazeeksterRazeekster Member UncommonPosts: 2,591

But I got hooked to a free to play browser title that most would consider fail and overlook it without even a second glance. You want to know why I got hooked to it? Because the way it is set up is that to advance you have to do events, and you have to be social, and make friends. I realize that a lot of people are all into the whole "solo everything in MMORPGs and forget about the Multiplayer part" but I'm one of those people that enjoy the multiplayer aspect of MMORPGs and wish that more of todays MMOs weren't so soloable.

While I'm thrilled a found a game like that I'm sad that I can't really find that in an AA+ MMORPG.

Smile

Comments

• JedricTXJedricTX Member UncommonPosts: 36
    What game?
  • KenFisherKenFisher Member UncommonPosts: 5,035

I was into Pocket Legends the same way.  Very group oriented, decent fun, surprisingly good community.

Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now working in Network Security.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  When I don't understand, I ask.  Such is not intended as criticism.
  • AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432

Originally posted by birdycephon
    [mod edit]

[mod edit]

To the OP, I am glad you found a game which suits you. As long as games try to please everyone for maximum player interest, I highly doubt a AA+ game will be developed. Once (if ever) they start looking at a more specific market, then it may possible.

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• RazeeksterRazeekster Member UncommonPosts: 2,591
    Originally posted by JedricTX
    What game?

Dragon Pals. It's in alpha right now.

Smile

• ThomasN7ThomasN7 87.18.7.148Member CommonPosts: 6,690
    Don't feel guilty at all. MMOs today are bad. They been so bad I been hooked on playing  Wii U games instead of mmos. 
  • birdycephonbirdycephon Member UncommonPosts: 1,314
    Originally posted by Normandy7
    Don't feel guilty at all. MMOs today are bad. They been so bad I been hooked on playing  Wii U games instead of mmos. 

Thats... pretty bad.

However, in my opinion, they weren't all bad.

• hazyhazy Member UncommonPosts: 89
    nvm
  • WolfenprideWolfenpride Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 3,988
    There are some decent browser based games out there, MMO and single player.

I had a little fun with BSG back when it was more populated, and Drakensang Online was alright.
  • GyrusGyrus Member UncommonPosts: 2,413

Skylanders?

Swap-Force FTW!

B-}

Yeah, but I feel your pain.  MMOs offer so much potential... but lately it's like the designers just don't have a clue.  There are so many unexplored things they could do and try... :-(

Nothing says irony like spelling ideot wrong.

Originally posted by AlBQuirky

To each their own. Reason why there are no NA AAA MMOs like that is because Americans are taught from birth to be independant. To be the best is to make the most money and shit on everyone else.

hehe I beg to differ. Americans are taught from very early on to rely on Government and other agency intervention. Long gone are the days where Americans actually stood on their own 2 feet and depended on themselves only. An American today has to try really hard to fail in almost anything. The last part I agree with. 100%...

To the OP, I am glad you found a game which suits you. As long as games try to please everyone for maximum player interest, I highly doubt a AA+ game will be developed. Once (if ever) they start looking at a more specific market, then it may possible.

I' don't really understand the whole independant/be a man thing I guess. You'd think people would want to form connecitons and make friends, but I'm also from Europe so maybe that's why.

Smile

• MalcanisMalcanis Member UncommonPosts: 3,297
    Originally posted by Razeekster

To each their own. Reason why there are no NA AAA MMOs like that is because Americans are taught from birth to be independant. To be the best is to make the most money and shit on everyone else.

hehe I beg to differ. Americans are taught from very early on to rely on Government and other agency intervention. Long gone are the days where Americans actually stood on their own 2 feet and depended on themselves only. An American today has to try really hard to fail in almost anything. The last part I agree with. 100%...

I' don't really understand the whole independant/be a man thing I guess. You'd think people would want to form connecitons and make friends, but I'm also from Europe so maybe that's why.

It's mostly cognitive dissonance. The people who say things like that are too scared or shy or insecure or simply unwilling to put in the effort to join a community, or plain don't like the idea of a game where everything doesn't revolve around them, so they tell themselves a story about how they're noble bold brave lone wolves.

Much like unemployable losers pretend to be steppenwolves who will never work for The Man.

Give me liberty or give me lasers

• JemcrystalJemcrystal Member UncommonPosts: 1,984
    Originally posted by Malcanis

It's mostly cognitive dissonance. The people who say things like that are too scared or shy or insecure or simply unwilling to put in the effort to join a community, or plain don't like the idea of a game where everything doesn't revolve around them, so they tell themselves a story about how they're noble bold brave lone wolves.

Much like unemployable losers pretend to be steppenwolves who will never work for The Man.

I'm a vampire not a wolf.  :P

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247

I realize that a lot of people are all into the whole "solo everything in MMORPGs and forget about the Multiplayer part"

and

Your 'realization' seems it may be a bit off. Most people who prefer to solo game content are fine with multiplayer gameplay, just not with forced grouping, as social interaction and grouping as not one in the same.  A big part of the problem is that AAA devs place ZERO emphasis on player interaction. Defiance's chat system is an excellent example. Not only is the chat box so useless as to be completely unnoticeable, but there is no tutorial, help or even tooltips to help people use it. If peopel can't even talk to each other without having to go to war with an interface, forming connections and making friends is simply out of the question. :)

I don't get where birdy was going with that whole independent thing, either, as it has nothing to do with solo game play or real life.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• DihoruDihoru Member Posts: 2,731
    Hello... my name is Dihoru and I am a facebook dungeon crawler junkie.... it's been 2 months since my last binge...and I still think of Robot Rising mech builds every night...just one more level....just one....

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Originally posted by Dihoru
    Hello... my name is Dihoru and I am a facebook dungeon crawler junkie.... it's been 2 months since my last binge...and I still think of Robot Rising mech builds every night...just one more level....just one....

Never heard of Robot Rising. Looked it up. Interest piqued. A lot.

Damn you, Dihoru. image

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• ThomasN7ThomasN7 87.18.7.148Member CommonPosts: 6,690
    Originally posted by Gyrus

Skylanders?

Swap-Force FTW!

B-}

Yeah, but I feel your pain.  MMOs offer so much potential... but lately it's like the designers just don't have a clue.  There are so many unexplored things they could do and try... :-(

I play a lot of Black Ops 2, Nano Assualt Neo, Batman  Armored Edition and Zombi U. 

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775

But I got hooked to a free to play browser title that most would consider fail and overlook it without even a second glance. You want to know why I got hooked to it? Because the way it is set up is that to advance you have to do events, and you have to be social, and make friends. I realize that a lot of people are all into the whole "solo everything in MMORPGs and forget about the Multiplayer part" but I'm one of those people that enjoy the multiplayer aspect of MMORPGs and wish that more of todays MMOs weren't so soloable.

While I'm thrilled a found a game like that I'm sad that I can't really find that in an AA+ MMORPG.

uh? why sad?

You found fun entertainment. What is so sad about it? It is even free. I would rejoice.

Originally posted by Loktofeit
    Originally posted by Dihoru

Never heard of Robot Rising. Looked it up. Interest piqued. A lot.

Damn you, Dihoru. image

Had the same reaction when I looked it up haha

Smile