Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Help An Old Fart Find an MMO

MightyUncleanMightyUnclean Member EpicPosts: 3,531

Hey guys, I'm a veteran gamer looking for a home.  Just finished playing WoW again, looking for something new.  I'm mostly looking for:

1)  sub based

2)  no "twitchy" combat

3)  no having to move while pressing combat buttons

4)  PvE

5)  long-term appeal

Any suggestions are appreciated.  Thanks!

Comments

• The user and all related content has been deleted.

Somebody, somewhere has better skills as you have, more experience as you have, is smarter than you, has more friends as you do and can stay online longer. Just pray he's not out to get you.
  • XthosXthos Member UncommonPosts: 2,739

Nothing is for sure, but, EQ Next, we will see what it about at the beginning of August.

A lot of the stuff is f2p now, like EQ2, Vanguard, that you may like....

You could try Rift, but people that played WoW complained that it felt too familiar, I only did the original WoW beta, so I cannot say.  It was too small/railed for me at release, but I guess they have added a lot of content since then, so it may be worth looking into.

Hopefully that helps some..

• KarahandrasKarahandras Member UncommonPosts: 1,703

Eve would be the obvious one, but you may not always be able to avoid pvp(depends on what u want to do ingame).

You could also look at uncharted waters, I hear some ppl play that for a while.  But also may have a little trouble avoiding the pvp.

Only other one I can think of is vanguard, but is f2p now and not sure if it'll have any long term appeal for you(you'd have to try and decide for yourself).

Somebody, somewhere has better skills as you have, more experience as you have, is smarter than you, has more friends as you do and can stay online longer. Just pray he's not out to get you.
  • bugmenobugmeno Member Posts: 85
    Old fart ? Didn't know people over 90 are playing MMOs. God bless you old man

• dead2soondead2soon Member Posts: 149
    Originally posted by Xthos

Nothing is for sure, but, EQ Next, we will see what it about at the beginning of August.

A lot of the stuff is f2p now, like EQ2, Vanguard, that you may like....

You could try Rift, but people that played WoW complained that it felt too familiar, I only did the original WoW beta, so I cannot say.  It was too small/railed for me at release, but I guess they have added a lot of content since then, so it may be worth looking into.

Hopefully that helps some..

I found going from wow to rift to be more like going to a much more polished version of wow with much improved graphics. Everything was new enough to me and the soul system was just fantasic. I also really liked how hungry the developers were but sadly it seems Trion is scaling back their team. I still feel it's a great experience for someone looking for a new MMO though.

• spookydomspookydom Member UncommonPosts: 1,782
    Everquest 2 sounds like your kind of thing. There is also a crap load of content, it should take you a while to get through and it's not to dissimilar to old school WoW so you should feel right at home, nice community also and more on the venerable side than the  I CAN HAZ CHEEZBURGERZ riff raff we have to deal with in our recreation times these days.

• spookydomspookydom Member UncommonPosts: 1,782
    Originally posted by Mtibbs1989
    Originally posted by spookydom
    Everquest 2 sounds like your kind of thing. There is also a crap load of content, it should take you a while to get through and it's not to dissimilar to old school WoW so you should feel right at home, nice community also and more on the venerable side than the  I CAN HAZ CHEEZBURGERZ riff raff we have to deal with in our recreation times these days.

Does Everquest 2 still have a subscription? Or is it completely Free-to-Play?

Has a sub option yes. Plus you need to buy the xpacs to get the end level content I belive.

• NitthNitth Member UncommonPosts: 3,904

Originally posted by Vigg
    Hey guys, I'm a veteran gamer looking for a home.  Just finished playing WoW again, looking for something new.  I'm mostly looking for: 1)  sub based2)  no "twitchy" combat3)  no having to move while pressing combat buttons4)  PvE5)  long-term appeal Any suggestions are appreciated.  Thanks!

Rift?

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

• DoctorhooDoctorhoo Member UncommonPosts: 235

Hey guys, I'm a veteran gamer looking for a home.  Just finished playing WoW again, looking for something new.  I'm mostly looking for:

1)  sub based

2)  no "twitchy" combat

4)  PvE

5)  long-term appeal

Describe what you mean exactly by "Twitchy?"

Solid MMOs imo: The Secret World and TERA but both are disqualified by your #3 statement.

Everquest or Vanguard might be options if you are looking for something that's been around for awhile.

Checking out a few Beta MMO's might catch your interest as well if you feel like studying up some.  There looks to be some good releases planed for 2013.

• neveserneveser Member UncommonPosts: 21
    LOTRO
  • BladestromBladestrom Member UncommonPosts: 5,001
    I would recommend the secret world, you will be familiar with the combat but the 'skill tree' is a pleasant change. Lore is also really interesting and holds the attention.

rpg/mmorg history: Dun Darach>Bloodwych>Bards Tale 1-3>Eye of the beholder > Might and Magic 2,3,5 > FFVII> Baldur's Gate 1, 2 > Planescape Torment >Morrowind > WOW > oblivion > LOTR > Guild Wars (1900hrs elementalist) Vanguard. > GW2(1000 elementalist), Wildstar

Now playing GW2, AOW 3, ESO, LOTR, Elite D

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    Originally posted by Nitth

1)  sub based

2)  no "twitchy" combat

4)  PvE

5)  long-term appeal

Rift?

Rift would be my suggestion as well

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• ArakaziArakazi Member UncommonPosts: 911
    Originally posted by Aerowyn
    Originally posted by Nitth

1)  sub based

2)  no "twitchy" combat

4)  PvE

5)  long-term appeal

Rift?

Rift would be my suggestion as well

EQ2 might be worth a look as well.

But if you don't like twitch based combat perhaps you should look for another genre of games.

• OrtwigOrtwig Member UncommonPosts: 1,163
    LOTRO and AoC are some f2p options that don't cost anything to test out.
  • PAL-18PAL-18 Member UncommonPosts: 844
    Lotro

So, did ESO have a successful launch? Yes, yes it did.By Ryan Getchell on April 02, 2014.
    **On the radar: http://www.cyberpunk.net/ **

• Afro-ThunderAfro-Thunder Member UncommonPosts: 86

LoTRO (Go sub not F2P)

Rift

• Soki123Soki123 Member RarePosts: 2,558
    EQ2 without a doubt.
  • BeyornBeyorn Member UncommonPosts: 366

It has been a while but doesnt Rift have alot of movement in some of their boss fights (highlights areas on the ground).  All the moving around during the encounters might not be to his liking.  In some of them it got on my nerves too ;D.

But I really liked Rift ;D.

• kjempffkjempff Member RarePosts: 1,759

1)  sub based

2)  no "twitchy" combat

4)  PvE

5)  long-term appeal

I would say you are out of luck old one, there are no games where you can tick all those 5 boxes. I would advice you do like another veteran gamer (me), lower your expectations and live with what is available.

Sub based is more or less nonexistant, it is all about free to pay now.

Long term appeal doesn't really exist anymore, but it is possible to find games that you might enjoy till there is no more content, but nothing legthy to match older mmorpgs or even WoW for that matter.

Could hope for a new eq progression server, but thats a long shot. Otherwise, for some limited period of fun some suggestions would be: Eq2, Vanguard, Lotro, Rift.

GW2 is big and expanding and that speaks to the possibility of long term appeal, but I don't know it first hand.

I am hopping on Neverwinter when it launches late April, but that might go under your twitchy category and certainly isn't showing any signs of long term appeal.

• BladestromBladestrom Member UncommonPosts: 5,001
    Disagree as I said TSW covers all points appart for 5 which is subjective.

rpg/mmorg history: Dun Darach>Bloodwych>Bards Tale 1-3>Eye of the beholder > Might and Magic 2,3,5 > FFVII> Baldur's Gate 1, 2 > Planescape Torment >Morrowind > WOW > oblivion > LOTR > Guild Wars (1900hrs elementalist) Vanguard. > GW2(1000 elementalist), Wildstar

Now playing GW2, AOW 3, ESO, LOTR, Elite D

• Ice-QueenIce-Queen Member UncommonPosts: 2,483

Lord of the Rings Online -- Landroval server

Good community, with lots of older more mature mmorpg'ers and lots of Roleplay.

What happens when you log off your characters????.....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFQhfhnjYMk
    Dark Age of Camelot

• AeliousAelious Member RarePosts: 3,521
    I'll throw another for EQ2. It has enough content and features to last a long time. Level cap with expansions is 95 and 320(?) Alternate Advancement points. There is leveling scaling so you can run with anyone lower than you and still progress. This is good since there are a TON of public dungeons to explore. Crafting is pretty in depth as well. All around great game.