Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ultima Online: The End is NOT Nigh

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

A new open letter from the Ultima Online producer seeks to dispel gloom and doomers who have been predicting the game's imminent demise. Bonnie Armstrong offers up a laundry list of ideas the team is working to implement in this year alone.

• New Theme Pack “The Kings Collection”

• Vendor Search

• New Story Arc

• Revamping Vet Reward – You have to be x age to get it but we are making vet rewards so anyone can use it.

• Revamping Fishing and Pirate Loot

• Adding a Gargoyle Horn Stylist

• Adding Fey Slayers to dungeon loot

• Reopening shard of the dead for Halloween

• Coming up with our Christmas and new Vet Rewards and Anniversary Rewards

• Adding new begging items for Trick or Treating

• Adding additional items to the clean up Britiannia turn ins

• 2nd House option on Siege

• Still working on High Res Art that has not been dropped, the housing wall tiles are numerous and takes a while to redo.  I highly doubt we will be able to get this in game this year, we are shooting for the beginning of next year.

• Fix Bugs

Read the full letter on the Ultima Online site.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• RazeeksterRazeekster Member UncommonPosts: 2,591

I just have to say, I subscribed to UO and tried it out for two months and I really don't see what the big deal is... Maybe it was better earlier on or something but I wasn't that impressed. Some of the players in the game are really entitled too and act super offended if you ask questions.

I got a guy in my guild who was helping me find an area for a house and he found me an area but it was the smallest house you could have so I asked if there were any other area and he acted like he was offended beyond belief. I aplogized because I assumed it must be super hard to find areas for housing and I thought we were all good and then I heard him bitching about me on Ventrilo because he didn't know I was on too and he never once mentioned that I had apologized (even though I really shouldn't have done so with how rude he was acting towards me).

Not only that but then the guild started discussing if I was really new or not because I asked lots of questions but I seemed to know a lot about UO too. They were stating things like "He's just pretending to be new." Yes because I'm secretly acting like I'm new in some weird grand scheme to take over UO (insert maniacal laughter here). It's called reading up on a game before you play it...

But yeah, there are some really entiteled, stuck-up people on UO. Also the things that some of them say really showed me how a lot of them are really out of touch with todays MMOs... But that's probably a good thing because honestly, I'd prefer not to run into those kinds of people in the other games I play.

Smile

• Ramonski7Ramonski7 Member UncommonPosts: 2,662
    Glad to see the ol gal is still gettin a lil lovin. Maybe one day I'll pop in for a month to see how things are going.

"Small minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas."

• MontaronxMontaronx Member UncommonPosts: 273
    Mirlok. Everquest has the bedt community i have ever seen in a game. No reason to name that game. Id rather say : World of warcraft

• CypeqCypeq Member Posts: 66

Razeekster I think it can be hard to get into UO now because it's so outdated.

I guess new player is a unicorn out there. There were always private shards and they have

much better worlds and community believe me on that.

For people who played UO it is special because it would be first really good MMO.

Most basic ideas you see in today MMO games were developed in UO.

It hope wouldn't be surprise to you that every major MMO developer had some history with this game.

So it is special... It has set the tone and fundaments for the this genre and shaped it.

It's hard to get into for all the same reasons as any game of the nineties.

• TalonsinTalonsin Member EpicPosts: 3,619
    Never have I loved and hated a game so much.  I am so glad I was around to play this one at launch and be a part of its history.
    "Sean (Murray) saying MP will be in the game is not remotely close to evidence that at the point of purchase people thought there was MP in the game."  - SEANMCAD

• ZerdZerd Member UncommonPosts: 26

I started UO right around T2A launch. Loved every minute I played.

I tried to play it again roughly 5 years ago and just couldn't play it long. It had changed so much since it's original conception that nearly everything I loved about the game was gone.

• oubersoubers Member UncommonPosts: 855

lol, al those new things is just BS, the game isnt even half the game it used to be as when T2A came out.

Unless they make the skillgaining ALOT harder again as it used to be and full reg suits where not even in game this game is just an empty shell of wat it used to be.

• redcappredcapp Member Posts: 722
    Originally posted by Razeekster

I just have to say, I subscribed to UO and tried it out for two months and I really don't see what the big deal is... Maybe it was better earlier on or something but I wasn't that impressed. Some of the players in the game are really entitled too and act super offended if you ask questions.

I got a guy in my guild who was helping me find an area for a house and he found me an area but it was the smallest house you could have so I asked if there were any other area and he acted like he was offended beyond belief. I aplogized because I assumed it must be super hard to find areas for housing and I thought we were all good and then I heard him bitching about me on Ventrilo because he didn't know I was on too and he never once mentioned that I had apologized (even though I really shouldn't have done so with how rude he was acting towards me).

Not only that but then the guild started discussing if I was really new or not because I asked lots of questions but I seemed to know a lot about UO too. They were stating things like "He's just pretending to be new." Yes because I'm secretly acting like I'm new in some weird grand scheme to take over UO (insert maniacal laughter here). It's called reading up on a game before you play it...

But yeah, there are some really entiteled, stuck-up people on UO. Also the things that some of them say really showed me how a lot of them are really out of touch with todays MMOs... But that's probably a good thing because honestly, I'd prefer not to run into those kinds of people in the other games I play.

Well, you're about thirteen years too late bud.

• blythegablythega Member UncommonPosts: 174

Playing UO now is like explaining to your kids today what it was like being a hippy in the 60's ..

You had to be there at the time to appreciate it. 

• Druid_UKDruid_UK Member Posts: 58

Back in the day, UO WAS the shit, hand down. Nothing else came close.

To get even remotely close to that today, you have to hit up one of the free shards.

-----
    Pay-to-Win / F2P will be the death of real gaming, Boycott it !!

• MaeEyeMaeEye Member UncommonPosts: 1,106
    Sure, UO is not flashy and doesn't have the newest technology or the highest resolution. But having a game around for 15 years and people still pay to play it says a lot when every new game is forced to go free to play. UO has more depth than any MMO on the market, you just have to understand old school gaming to enjoy it.
    /played-mmorpgs

Total time played: 9125 Days, 21 Hours, 29 Minutes, 27 Seconds
    Time played this level: 39 Days, 1 Hour, 24 Minutes, 5 Seconds

• f0dell54f0dell54 Member CommonPosts: 329
    Originally posted by Razeekster

I still play UO and although it's not the game that it used to be its still fun, in an itemized sort of way. I miss the old days of GM weapons and bone armor. But that’s neither here nor there.

Anyways, you would be surprised how many people make new characters to beg for money or items. Also, UO has more drama then any game I have ever played. People will make characters to infiltrate guilds for information or to steal from guildies during champ spawns. It happens quite often actually. The mechanisms in UO allow player a lot more freedom but it also makes some groups a lot more paranoid.

As far as a guildie helping you place a house. I understand that everyone wants better but he didn't have to help you at all. Finding a plot isn't that hard even on Atlantic (most populated shard.) I can see a person being somewhat upset after helping out a guildie and getting the "Can't you get me anything better?" thrown in their face.

Try looking at it from their prospective.

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,751
    UO is one of the few games where the graphics are so bad I wouldn't even consider paying for it....I very rarely ever rule out a game because of its graphics but this is one I do.
  • zanebergeronzanebergeron Member UncommonPosts: 80

UO was my very first MMO, started it at the beginning and played for a good 6/7 years.  I recently went back and did the free trial, it was interesting to say the least. 

So much forgotten and so much changed, and I am just spoiled to modern graphics.  As some has stated it was a great game to play, it was fun and it brought alot to the games we play now.

I will always have very fond memories of the game that got me addicted for many years, which few has acomplished since.

In my heart of hearts I always hope for a remake, but maybe it would just ruin the great memories, an likely never happen.

CURRENTLY PLAYING |GW2|
    PLAYED UO:SWG:EQ2:GW:WoW:CoH:Lotro:AoC:Vanguard:Horizons:RIFT:swtor:Shadowbane and I'm sure a few others
    WATCHING:EQ Next : Wildstar:Archage :WoD
    WISHING FOR: A UO Remake
    HAPPILY PLAYING ONLINE SINCE 97.

• KarahandrasKarahandras Member UncommonPosts: 1,703
    For me the biggest put off in trying it is the price they charge for something that looks so old.
  • NildenNilden Member EpicPosts: 3,916
    Why is there not a 3D UO remake?

"You CAN'T buy ships for RL money." - MaxBacon

"classification of games into MMOs is not by rational reasoning" - nariusseldon

Love Minecraft. And check out my Youtube channel OhCanadaGamer

Try a MUD today at http://www.mudconnect.com/ 

• MibletMiblet Member Posts: 333
    Originally posted by nilden
    Why is there not a 3D UO remake?

Limited cash flow (still profitable but not 'make a new game' profitable).

Also creating a 3d version would split the playerbase between the current UO and the new one, possibly sinking both (if shutting down the current UO you might get a backlash and simply lose loyal customers).  Publisher will also probably be afraid of rocking the boat too much and upsetting the crowd that keeps the game afloat.  It's just not a worthwhile move for possibly no return... or worse a negative return, or the loss of the product.

• enf02enf02 Member Posts: 1

I played UO from 97-01 on the Atlantic/Drachenfels/Siege Shards ... If you are a UO Newbie that wants to experience UO like it WAS in it's most glorious Days, or are a returning player that can't stand all the new stuff I highly recommend the Free Shard Ultima Online The Second Age.

http://www.uosecondage.com/

http://www.uosecondage.com/Testimonials

See you Guys there! :)