Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Column] ArcheAge: English Videos and Korean Updates

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

ArcheAge is getting ready to wing its way Westward as Trion Worlds brings the game to North America and Europe. In the meantime, a lot has been happening with the Korean version and we've got the full report today on a few things of which we've taken note. Check it out and then discuss our findings in the comments.

Waiting for new information on ArcheAge can sometimes be a slog. I spend a few minutes ev everyday checking through various news feeds and the like looking for new information to serve up to people interested in ArcheAge, and there are many days when I just come back disappointed.

Disappointment gives way to other sorts of searches online for ArcheAge content, and so I’d like to take some time today to discuss two things found that helped keep the flames of ArcheAge excitement burning.

Read more of Victor Barreiro Jr.'s ArcheAge: English Videos and Korean Updates.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• InporylemQQInporylemQQ Member Posts: 165
    At least we got the pack.

ArcheAge, Black Desert and Bless videos InporylemQQ Youtube

• moondragomoondrago Member UncommonPosts: 47
    looks like  any  mmo from  korean  just  with a  differ name  ..

its a GoOd dAy to diE !!

• kadepsysonkadepsyson Member UncommonPosts: 1,919
    Staggering amount of content.
  • VorthanionVorthanion Member RarePosts: 2,749
    What is it with Asian fantasy games that always add content that turns them into steampunk or even worse.  That car would fit in today's world, not the fantasy / medieval world of Archeage.  What's next, replace gliders with jets and maybe throw in a waverunner for some fun watersports?

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,001
    Originally posted by Vorthanion
    What is it with Asian fantasy games that always add content that turns them into steampunk or even worse.  That car would fit in today's world, not the fantasy / medieval world of Archeage.  What's next, replace gliders with jets and maybe throw in a waverunner for some fun watersports?

I've got to agree with you here.

I hate it when they add anachronstic items to their Medieval fantasy games.

I believe there is a disco in this game as well.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • faiyofaiyo Member Posts: 123
    Originally posted by moondrago

Well in that case, every western mmo looks like any mmo from the west just with a different name

I'm also not sure what's wrong with the cars.. I've never really seen xlgames promote this as a strictly medivel game.
  • DihoruDihoru Member Posts: 2,731

Face meet palm -facepalms-

The above two posters who stated that a original IP that they believe is set in a medieval setting should follow rules they dictated because they know better than the developers of the game what the game should feel like.  Might I suggest you two look up the definition of the term fantasy? (steampunk is fantasy and some people love it, some don't, Fullmetal Alchemist for example is a manga set in a steampunk universe which to be frank in my eyes blows most generic fantasy settings, such as Warcraft's, clean out of the water).

• edenzeroedenzero Member Posts: 16

Trion need to stand up and give info already.

they have an airship (dunno if you can aboard it) a car is not that big deal

Trion need to bring this fully updated..after that good fight between rmt and all that usual crap.

• DaxamarDaxamar Member UncommonPosts: 593
    Originally posted by moondrago

Well, at least it dosent look like WoW! Like every other western mmo out there wants to be. :P

• DaxamarDaxamar Member UncommonPosts: 593
    I like it. Im looking forward to playing AA in the future. Near future I hope!

Yeah!  Like how WoW has robotic mounts and crazy machines in a fantasy setting with elves and orcs?!  WTF IS WITH THESE ASIAN GAMES, BLIZZARD?!

Sorry, couldn't help pointing out just how silly your comment was.

Originally posted by Dihoru

The above two posters who stated that a original IP that they believe is set in a medieval setting should follow rules they dictated because they know better than the developers of the game what the game should feel like.  Might I suggest you two look up the definition of the term fantasy? (steampunk is fantasy and some people love it, some don't, Fullmetal Alchemist for example is a manga set in a steampunk universe which to be frank in my eyes blows most generic fantasy settings, such as Warcraft's, clean out of the water).

Well it's called integrity in design.

when last I checked on their game they had medievil castles yes?

And they fight with larger swords that might be found in earlier time periods. And ther are catapults.  yes?

Of course their ships aren't medievil at all and there is a disco.

Is disco steam punk?

What we have here is a hodge podge of styles and time periods.

Which I would think is a stylistic mess but to each his/her own.

And "no" I would not be complaining if it were a fully realized steampunk world.

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

• CyclopsSlayerCyclopsSlayer Member UncommonPosts: 532

Be sure to look at SpicyMMO's Channel. In English, if a bit stream of conscious.

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCpTnSd9NbEj2OBqCGm1bl_Q

The "Let's Find Out" 1 through like 15 are all AA play.

Good for you, facepalm meet the bird.

Originally posted by kadepsyson

Yeah!  Like how WoW has robotic mounts and crazy machines in a fantasy setting with elves and orcs?!  WTF IS WITH THESE ASIAN GAMES, BLIZZARD?!

WoW started from the very beginning with two steampunk races, called gnomes and goblins.  While I still found it annoying, it was there from the beginning and an integral part of the lore and the previous RTS games that were it's genesis.  Many of these Asian games start out medieval or high fantasy, then suddenly add steampunk / technology into the mix, creating a weird hodgepodge of eras that are not contiguous with the world they created or the story within.

• DihoruDihoru Member Posts: 2,731
    Originally posted by Sovrath

And they fight with larger swords that might be found in earlier time periods. And ther are catapults.  yes?

Is disco steam punk?

And "no" I would not be complaining if it were a fully realized steampunk world.

Define "fully realized steampunk world", because I see allot of tastes/opinion and little fact in your arguments. For a time in the real world cannons co-existed with trebuchets and catapults because cannons were more expensive and the technology and training in using them was still rudimentary. As for swords vs guns... the polish army used cavalry charges (horse and lance/sword type deals, granted they had modern equipment too) against german panzers in 1939 and the kicker is that in several instances the cavalry actually managed to drive back tank advances but overall their impact was too small.

You can argue your hodge podge theory based on your own tastes but neither of us have in-game experience ergo neither of us knows how forced or natural the feel of the game is ( I mean christ in Fullmetal Alchemist you have Amestris which is a steampunk country which has from cannons to guns to main battle tank prototypes and bazookas, you have Creta which is a tribalistic possibly shamanistic culture, you have Xing which is a eastern/chinese inspired country with more medieval weapons and friggin ninjas and a ying/yang based alchemy system, you have Drachma which are again medieval and highly aggressive nordic state which is possibly viking/saxon inspired due to their portrayal within the manga as highly oportunistic and requiring a nordic wall errected to protect against them, Hadrian's wall anyone? and lastly you have the destroyed independent region of Ishval which had a culture inspired by middle eastern cultures and ass all steampunk elements). Time and experience with the game will tell us both if it is a hodgepodge or a decently built IP.

• OrthelianOrthelian Member UncommonPosts: 1,034

For some reason, what gets me most are the 19th century American prison uniforms:

Good times.

Favorites: EQEVE | Playing: None. Mostly VR and strategy | Anticipating: CUPantheon
  • pitonic1pitonic1 Member Posts: 12
    Originally posted by Saerain

For some reason, what gets me most are the 19th century American prison uniforms:

Good times.

+1800

1 Define "fully realized steampunk world",

2 You can argue your hodge podge theory based on your own tastes but neither of us have in-game experience ergo neither of us knows how forced or natural the feel of the game is

1, a world set in the  late 19th century where the technology incorporates machines that wouldn't normally be seen in the late 19th century but have the appearance of late 19th century aesthetics and work incorporating the technology that was prevalent in the late 19th century. You took that statement way too seriouslybtw. Basically I enjoy steam punk aesthetics.

And I gather that you fancy yourself a steampunk afficianado therefore you are fully ready to do battle with anyone regarding the steampunk genre? well you can relax, it's not as serious as you want it to be. It was just a statment.

2, a picture says a thousand words...

(disco removed as it has been mentioned it was removed from the game.  I will assume this is true.

Including the aforementioned car that doesn't look steampunk but looks like it was a race car from the '30's?

So you are saying that I could show these images (including the car image ) to a complete stranger and they would not only  know they were from the same game but  would immediatley recognize it (or any of them for that matter) as being steampunk?

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838

I know what you mean about putting stuff in that doesn't fit.

We need to start differentiating between Chinese and Korean games though instead of calling them all Asian. Putting them in one group is the same as lumping north america and south america together.

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • TekaelonTekaelon Member UncommonPosts: 604
    I wish the developers well but the style of this game is all over the place

WoW started from the very beginning with two steampunk races, called gnomes and goblins.  While I still found it annoying, it was there from the beginning and an integral part of the lore and the previous RTS games that were it's genesis.  Many of these Asian games start out medieval or high fantasy, then suddenly add steampunk / technology into the mix, creating a weird hodgepodge of eras that are not contiguous with the world they created or the story within.

Sorry, didn't realize that making a game in Asia means you have to conform to pre-determined notions of acceptable setting.

I thought a game with an original setting and IP could have its own ideas for the world they create.  Obviously you're more comfortabel with sweeping generalizations about what an Asian game is than any kind of thought as to what this specific game entails.

WoW was created from the beginning with those races in its setting.  ArcheAge was created from the beginning with its own take on its own world.  You have no excuse for your anti-Asian sentiment.

I still believe your comment to be silly.

• KumaponKumapon Member EpicPosts: 1,563

1 Define "fully realized steampunk world",   2 You can argue your hodge podge theory based on your own tastes but neither of us have in-game experience ergo neither of us knows how forced or natural the feel of the game is
    1, a world set in the  late 19th century where the technology incorporates machines that wouldn't normally be seen in the late 19th century but have the appearance of late 19th century aesthetics and work incorporating the technology that was prevalent in the late 19th century. You took that statement way too seriouslybtw. Basically I enjoy steam punk aesthetics.

And I gather that you fancy yourself a steampunk afficianado therefore you are fully ready to do battle with anyone regarding the steampunk genre? well you can relax, it's not as serious as you want it to be. It was just a statment.

Including the aforementioned car that doesn't look steampunk but looks like it was a race car from the '30's?

So you are saying that I could show these images (including the car  ) to a complete stranger and they would not only  know they were from the same game but  would immediatley recognize it (or any of them for that matter) as being steampunk?

You do realize that MMosite is a outfit for Ncsoft and 1/3 of these pics are either old and out of date or just outright fake, right ?

Originally posted by Kumapon

1 Define "fully realized steampunk world",   2 You can argue your hodge podge theory based on your own tastes but neither of us have in-game experience ergo neither of us knows how forced or natural the feel of the game is

So you are saying that I could show these images (including the car  ) to a complete stranger and they would not only  know they were from the same game but  would immediatley recognize it (or any of them for that matter) as being steampunk?

You do realize that MMosite is a outfit for Ncsoft and 1/3 of these pics are either old and out of date or just outright fake, right ?

well I have no information as to what is old, out of date or outright fake. Just what I've seen from sites that have archeage pictures and articles.

However, you may feel free to either point out what is a fake (and I will certainly research them and remove them if they are incorrect) or just point me to the best archeage site that has a wide array of pictures. I feel rather confident that I'll find the same array of styles.

I do know there is a 1930's car and people build castles and fight with swords and shields yet the sailign ships are not of an era with what appears to be a versio of heavy armor and long swords. And I believe there is a juke box.

So right there I could just let my point stand.

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769

Is disco steam punk?

So if a spaceship landed on the fantasy world of magic and unicorns, that could never be a valid design??????????????????  

http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"