Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

MMORPG - Multitasking;

Hey there,

I've been playing MMORPG's since Everquest 1.  My favourites are in the lines of Vanguard:SoH and Everquest 1/2.

As of late, life has been pretty hectic (school, work, bills, and the likes).  I've had such an inkling to play a game, but I simply don't have the time to progress in most of them.  I am in dire need of a game that I can play WHILE getting work done--by this, I don't mean I want the game to play itself; rather, I want to be able to play for a few minutes, get some coding/homework done, and tab back for another kill.  It must be solo-friendly.

I picked up Planetside2 for a few months, which was nice as it didn't matter how long I played.  I could log on for a hour and fair well against opponents regardless of the playtime on my account.  That said, the game got boring within those few months and I quit playing.  I also couldn't really play in windowed mode, AFK, and tab out to do work as it would disconnect me; it required that I set aside time to play.  I tried going back to Vanguard (my favourite game ever), but the grind is so tedious and time-consuming, plus the game requires my full attention to not get slaughtered.  I simply don't have that kind of time to invest in advancing.

To make a long story short:

I've been filtering through numerous MMORPGs in the past month (EQ1, EQ2, PS2, VG, RoM, Allods, Rift, DDO, AoC, LotRO etc., etc.).  I've been tackling all of the trials I can and picking up as many F2P games as possible.  Nothing has really hit the sweet spot with the time required vs. attention required.

The closest I've come thus far is with Everquest 2.  Back in the day, it was much more difficult and would not be a consideration for my current situation.  However, it seems that they have decreased the time it takes to level and have made solo encounters extremely easy.

I don't mind monthly fees so the game doesn't have to be free (though, it should have  a trial so I can test it).

TLDR:  Been playing games for years.  Things are hectic in real life.  I need a solo-friendly MMORPG (free or paid) that doesn't require me to dedicate my life in order to progress and that can be tabbed out of, without dying, to get work done.

Comments

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    Aion

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• JemcrystalJemcrystal Member UncommonPosts: 1,984
    I can't think of a single mmo that doesn't require time spent and focused attention.  Might want to research off line games.  Maybe I'm wrong but to me general games don't seem as pully on you.  Good luck.

• VengeSunsoarVengeSunsoar Member EpicPosts: 6,601
    Thats pretty much how I played Wow.  How I am now playing EQ, how I did play EQ2 and Istaria.
    Just because you don't like it doesn't mean it is bad.
  • nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    Originally posted by Jemcrystal
    I can't think of a single mmo that doesn't require time spent and focused attention.  Might want to research off line games.  Maybe I'm wrong but to me general games don't seem as pully on you.  Good luck.

Uh? I can think of many. I dabble in many MMOs without spending much time nor attention. STO, DDO, PS2 .. great to go in, play a mission or two, and you can forget it for a week.

• birdycephonbirdycephon Member UncommonPosts: 1,314
    EVE Online.
  • QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,351
    If you want a game that you can play intermittently while doing something else, then you should probably focus more on non-combat activities.  A Tale in the Desert is pretty good for this, as you can often click a few times, go do something else, get back to the game whenever you get back to it, see that some cooldowns have ended, click a few more times, and repeat.  Uncharted Waters Online has some extended sailing times where you only need to be marginally paying attention, so long as you're not doing the combat portion of the game.
  • birdycephonbirdycephon Member UncommonPosts: 1,314
    Originally posted by Quizzical

If you want a game that you can play intermittently while doing something else, then you should probably focus more on non-combat activities.  A Tale in the Desert is pretty good for this, as you can often click a few times, go do something else, get back to the game whenever you get back to it, see that some cooldowns have ended, click a few more times, and repeat.  Uncharted Waters Online has some extended sailing times where you only need to be marginally paying attention, so long as you're not doing the combat portion of the game.

Or getting attacked by pirates.
  • QuirhidQuirhid Member UncommonPosts: 6,230
    Eve Online.

I skate to where the puck is going to be, not where it has been -Wayne Gretzky