Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Just accept it.This is the best ip that will make a great mmo

Comments

• RoguewizRoguewiz Member UncommonPosts: 711

I have to take a shot on Underworld.  I can't resist!

An MMO is being made!  It's called World of Darkness Online

:P

Raquelis in various games
    Played: Everything
    Playing: Nioh 2, Civ6
    Wants: The World
    Anticipating: Everquest Next Crowfall, Pantheon, Elden Ring

Tank - Healer - Support: The REAL Trinity
  • ThorkuneThorkune Member UncommonPosts: 1,969
    Originally posted by Roguewiz

I am excited for WoD too, but I am a big Underworld fan and would love to take part in the world of Lykens vs. Death Dealers.

• RoguewizRoguewiz Member UncommonPosts: 711
    Originally posted by Thorkune

I am excited for WoD too, but I am a big Underworld fan and would love to take part in the world of Lykens vs. Death Dealers.

Hense my shot at Underworld.  They got a lot of their material from Whitewolf (WOD)

Raquelis in various games
    Played: Everything
    Playing: Nioh 2, Civ6
    Wants: The World
    Anticipating: Everquest Next Crowfall, Pantheon, Elden Ring

Tank - Healer - Support: The REAL Trinity
  • ThorkuneThorkune Member UncommonPosts: 1,969
    Originally posted by Thorkune

Hense my shot at Underworld.  They got a lot of their material from Whitewolf (WOD)

Aaaah...gotcha. I didn't know that.

• NL-RikkertNL-Rikkert Member UncommonPosts: 134

Just accept it, that is your opinion...

In my opinion MMO's have been going downhill for well over a decade.

Also in my opinion, SP IPs that have made a name for themselves should hardly ever get a MP, let alone a fully fledged MMO.

Not that I wouldn't enjoy a MP/MMO version of some  great titles, but with the lazy ass cash in additudes, insane overhyping and straight out lies and failed promises we get these days from MMO devs, I'd pass on any and all of them. 

To me they lay waste to great IPs and what they stand for.

BTW, Magic is brilliant, let's not ruin it  by turning it in to yet another generic MMO >.<

STOOPID
    When someone does something so utterly moronic that it kills your brain cells at the very thought of it.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

Well i agree it is a great idea and would make a great MMORPG,the devs that have run it are horrible.

First we had hasbro that right there spells GREED and Doom.Then company that runs it and licenses the product "WOTC" is a totally amateur operation.They had some other company code it and basically set  it up for them,then  when they thought they were ok,they let them go.What happened from their on was CHAOS 101,could write a novel on the butcher job full of bugs.

OK so no brainer i leave that game,it is going no where,just a greedy money game that showed no care to improve the design.

So along comes SOE,it gave me great hope.../sigh.once again SOE's GREED comes forth,all they do is some nice graphics [YES] however the whole design is to get everything voer with quick so they can run it cheap and get as many tournament games in as littel time as possible.

If they actually put in the effort to turn it into a full mapped MMORPG and/or allow users to make maps,adsd in some crafting,some more OBJECTS and they would have had a ridiculously great game.However they opt for a very cheap design and bank on constantly selling cardfs.A Subscription fee would have been a MUCH better idea for this newish attempt at a MTG game.

Too bad a better developer never got a hold of this,but i really don't know,maybee it was a WOTC idea and SOE just did for them?The only developer i woudl want to do this game justice and turn it int oa full feldge mmorgp is Square Enix.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• AxehiltAxehilt Member RarePosts: 10,504
    Originally posted by Dihoru
    The best IP to use in an MMO is an original IP. Period.

Exactly.

"What is truly revealing is his implication that believing something to be true is the same as it being true. [continue]" -John Oliver

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440
    Sounds good for the reasons you stated, but here's the thing... that gorgeous art might not translate well into a game.  Sure the basic designs will follow the designs of the trading card game, but if the game artists aren't as good as the card artists, you'll just get another game with bad character models.  We've got enough of those already.
  • RandomDownRandomDown Member UncommonPosts: 145
    Originally posted by Sagasaint

WAR 40K is probably the best IP in the world to make a MMO

the problem is that to make it just right , it would take...ummmm....

- $300m to $400m

- a company as large as Blizzard, and still they would have to outsource work

- 6 to 9 years of hard work

- using super server technology that allowed thousands upon thousands of players playing simultaneously

and if someone tried to cheap on it, cut corners everywhere, reduce content to make it more business-manageable and make an average WoW-like MMO with it like Dark Millenium was shaping up to be, it would flop

so there it is, the best possible IP you could ever have, but it will NEVER come to fruition because the risks are unsurmountable, the amount of work and money to fund it are beyond insane, the technology required to make it good still doesnt exists, and there's no way it would work without all of the above.

Warhammer 40.000 is too big and too vast in scale to reproduce within an MMO to any great detail without a decade's worth of work...for christ sake you've got several imperial guard regiments alone to model before you even consider everything else (Catachan, Vostroyan, Death Korps, Cadian to name just some of the more famous and unconventional ones), the most famous Space Marine Chapters number in the dozens (Black Templars, Blood Ravens, Blood Angels, Space Sm....Ultramarines, Iron Hands, Grey Knights,etc), Chaos Space Marines also have a dozen Legions not counting recent defector chapters, warbands, etc, then you get to the Eldar,the Orks, the Tau, the new version of the Necrons, the Dark Eldar,  The Legion of the Damned, The Adeptus Sororitas, etc. Then you get to the scale of things... even if you limit your game to one solar system (a la Soulstorm) you have ground combat, aerial combat, orbital combat, interplanetary combat, combat on orbitals, ship boarding actions. And when this is all done and good you have one major issue: A space marine player will be the strongest, most well equiped of the non-demonic/chaos aligned humanoids with powah armoured nobs and tau battlesuits coming in right behind them, how the blood hell do you balance that with a guardsman or hell lets be generous and say stormtrooper ? you basically have a rapid fire laser cigar lighter vs RPG machineguns or plasma chain guns.

Warhammer 40k no matter how much I love it would never be a good MMO without ruining what makes Warhammer 40k special.

Well in regards to the Space Marine chapeters they'd put in, I imagine at first they would largely concentrate on Ultramarines and Dark Angels as those are generally the two favorites of GW. Or it could just be a cosmetic dye sort of situation, pick a chapter and that character  has various pattern options available. Unless of course you're referring to actual equipment options.

Could always make the IG people a pet class. Sort of like what they did in Retribution. More of an entourage thing, although that would kind of end up like Thaums and what not from DAoC and ew.

• shingoukiehshingoukieh Member UncommonPosts: 126

the op just described a great mmorpg....

yeah any mmorpg would be great if it had alot content, played great,  and had good graphics with customizations...

i just want a mmorpg set like in the year 3000 or something...no post apocalyse crap...just like a super modern fantasy mmorpg..with content graphics and customization tired of those medieval

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403
    Originally posted by Axehilt

Exactly.

Well, at the very least it's one thing less that players can bitch about.

"You totally didn't do Jedi right, you guys suck." /nerdwhine

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• observerobserver Member RarePosts: 3,685
    The Game of Thrones IP would be better.  It already has the lore, the world, the setting, various factions, and most importantly the entire series is about PvP. :)
  • LogicLesterLogicLester Member UncommonPosts: 68

The biggest MMO disagrees with you.  Warcraft existed long before WoW, and it owes nearly all of its design to Warhammer/Tolkien.

It's been proven pretty well that just licensing a great IP for an MMO doesn't work.  I think the key is for the designers of the MMO to both own the IP AND have done a good deal of background in creating for that IP before starting on an MMO.

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769

I like your thinking.

http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• free2playfree2play Member UncommonPosts: 2,043

I'm not sure what the best IP for an MMO is, I know what it should have been

Dungeons and Dragons.

• DAS1337DAS1337 Member UncommonPosts: 2,610
    Please do not try to compare pokemon or Yu-Gi-Oh to MTG.  You'll just make yourself look stupid.  
  • muffins89muffins89 Member UncommonPosts: 1,585

HARRY POTTER. 

/thread

• AdamantineAdamantine Member RarePosts: 5,085
    Originally posted by Arclan

I think you are onto something. It has a huge built-in fanbase, [...]

I like Conan, in fact the original Howard stories are IMHO the best fantasy in existence, but I hate AoC with a passion, because its not a game for roleplayers.

I like Harry Potter, but I never even contemplated to play the game. Its a riddiculous kids game of at best average quality.

I like Dungeons & Dragons, but D&DO didnt convinced me.

I like Star Wars ... etc ...

Just because people are fan of something doesnt mean the corresponding game would be great, too.

Originally posted by LogicLester

The biggest MMO disagrees with you.  Warcraft existed long before WoW, and it owes nearly all of its design to Warhammer/Tolkien.

LOL. How is that in any way a disproveal ? Yes Warcraft technically existed before WoW, but its an original IP of Blizzard, and these Warcraft games arent exactly games that give you a ton of lore to read through, so, as a setting, Warcraft is pretty generic.

I think WoW is a strong point pro, not against, the statement that original IP is best.

The only MMO I can think of that worked well with a non-original IP was LotRO.

• Caliburn101Caliburn101 Member Posts: 636

When I thought about what 'world' or 'fantasy iteration' IP would make a good MMO, it took some time.

Most worlds etc. are not created with this in mind, and are either too complex, have very imbalanced factions, are dominated by a few uberheroes, have too little variation or are so lore-locked that the necessary MMO elements would seem out of place.

I wouldn't for instance choose the Wheel of Time, Magician or Chronicles of Thomas Covenenant for most of these reasons.

From a purely MMO-potential point of view, Conan's Hyborea and Middle Earth work well, but these have been done.

I am 50/50 on Game of Thrones, and as it has been done by a smaller company, it is a non-starter really.

One overlooked area (other than Dungeons & Dragons and Pathfinder of course) are the tabletop roleplay IPs.

It is from here I would like to see a strongly themed, varied and interesting MMO world - and Glorantha - from Runequest would fit the bill very well indeed.

Check it out if you are intrigued...

• ThaneThane Member EpicPosts: 3,534
    Originally posted by RelGn

The ip im talking about Is MaGic The Gathering

You heard it right.

The MTG universe is the most rich universe yet and the art is the best ive seen in any game yet.

If it ever becomes an mmo and implemented right with great gameplay as well it can become the best game ever created.

Ps:I really like the mature art they are using in their cards.

Wish those gorgeous pieces of art become alive

pfff, i'd play a lord of the pit then!

and no, MTG is not suited for an mmo.

"I'll never grow up, never grow up, never grow up! Not me!"

• fivorothfivoroth Member UncommonPosts: 3,916

Yet the most successful MMO of all times is not based on an original IP.

Mission in life: Vanquish all MMORPG.com trolls - especially TESO, WOW and GW2 trolls.

• Caliburn101Caliburn101 Member Posts: 636
    Originally posted by Adamantine
    Originally posted by Arclan

I think you are onto something. It has a huge built-in fanbase, [...]

I like Conan, in fact the original Howard stories are IMHO the best fantasy in existence, but I hate AoC with a passion, because its not a game for roleplayers.

I like Harry Potter, but I never even contemplated to play the game. Its a riddiculous kids game of at best average quality.

I like Dungeons & Dragons, but D&DO didnt convinced me.

I like Star Wars ... etc ...

Just because people are fan of something doesnt mean the corresponding game would be great, too.

Originally posted by LogicLester

LOL. How is that in any way a disproveal ? Yes Warcraft technically existed before WoW, but its an original IP of Blizzard, and these Warcraft games arent exactly games that give you a ton of lore to read through, so, as a setting, Warcraft is pretty generic.

I think WoW is a strong point pro, not against, the statement that original IP is best.

The only MMO I can think of that worked well with a non-original IP was LotRO.

Warhammer stole most of it's best ideas from the novels of Michael Moorcock (without his permission as well...) and is highly derivative.

Blizzard openly copy other people's ideas - having done so for WoW from Warhammer Fantasy etc. and Starcraft from Aliens and Warhammer 40K.

So the 'original IP' is when you boil it down, quite the rarity...

• VindicarVindicar Member UncommonPosts: 138
    Dune.

Old school french hardcore whiner. Online since T4C.

I was "Namless" and "Daroot" in AO (Rk2)
    Been known as "Vindicar" (Aion (EU), SWTOR (EU), WoW (EU).
    Recently  Known as "Wundicar" and "Wundee" in Age of Wushu (US) and Wulin (EU)

Franky Rivera Reyes , From the Reyes Brotherhood (Star Citizen)

• ArclanArclan Member UncommonPosts: 1,550

Dune would be great, and like someone above said, Game of Thrones. The latter is certainly the flavor of the month. But that reminds me of how the Stargate MMO guys were selling $50k investment opportunities. To anyone who invested (and lost) that money, my condolences.

Luckily, i don't need you to like me to enjoy video games. -nariusseldon.
    In F2P I think it's more a case of the game's trying to play the player's. -laserit

• red_cruiserred_cruiser Member UncommonPosts: 486
    Dune would make an interesting world.  The concept of shields in a game world where melee combat is as commonplace as ranged combat would make for an interesting environment to start developing a game system around.  However, I think they would probably ruin the game when they decided to artificially balance it and make it a themepark.